• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakho

Hey guys, I forgot how this works so remind me... If it says my bond with a person isn't ready to deepen yet, should I just ignore it and wait? Or is it better to spend time with that person? Just want to make sure I use my time wisely.

You have to spend time, the bond won't grow by itself. Remember to carry a Persona with the correct Arcana for the Confidants, try to buy appropriate gifts for them, and to give good answers during the interactions (symbolized by three exclamations marks).

Audioboxer

So much hand holding at the start of this game. I guess that's why I think the first few hours have been very weak. Fair enough I think they're treating P5 like 25% of the audience might be experiencing "my first persona game".

Owensboro

I really hate that if the MC dies it's just straight up game over. I figured they'd have changed that by now. Getting one-shot is just the most frustrating thing in the world.

JJShadow

What kind of items would be good to bring outside of potions?

So what do you get for sneaking up on enemies if not a free turn?

Well, early in the game most of the items you can buy are HP-restoring items, so there's not much variety. You can also find some SP-restoring items on certain vending machines, but they only recover 5-10 SP

Kensuke

So, what's up with the crossword puzzles? They seem to give 2 knowledge, same as studying. I'm not seeing the benefit. Do you got extra knowledge if you complete one?

Just secured the path on first dungeon. So apparently (gameplay spoiler)
you can't revisit dungeons after clearing them. Will there ever be any notable missable? I guess trohpies can be missable?

Yu Narukami

So much hand holding at the start of this game. I guess that's why I think the first few hours have been very weak. Fair enough I think they're treating P5 like 25% of the audience might be experiencing "my first persona game".
Maybe the game is not for you based on your last posts.

I really hate that if the MC dies it's just straight up game over. I figured they'd have changed that by now. Getting one-shot is just the most frustrating thing in the world.
Agreed, especially in a series where instant death spells are a thing. Never liked it when party based RPGs result in game overs because the MC died.

LiK

Happened to me last night. I was on a roll but I forgot to save in one Save Room. I was right next to another one but one enemy one-shotted my MC and I had to start over from last save point. Thankfully, the run back wasn't so bad when I decided to skip most of the enemies this time.

Chaos17

Wich is unfortunaly normal since there was no game for Ps3 so a whole generation don't know it, same for the new Zelda. But one choosen to hold hand while the other other just kicj you out of the nest.

Zalman

You have to spend time, the bond won't grow by itself. Remember to carry a Persona with the correct Arcana for the Confidants, try to buy appropriate gifts for them, and to give good answers during the interactions (symbolized by three exclamations marks).
Thanks for this!

FiraB

Banned
Second day and third dungeon, definitely picking im only gonna max half these social links on first playthrough.

Will just pick the characters I like at this point and enjoy the ride.

LiK

I think that's fine since most people playing this are def new to the Persona games in general. I barely read most of the tutorials since it's most of the same mechanics from P3/P4. The game opens up much faster than the previous games so no biggie.

Audioboxer

Wich is unfortunaly normal since there was no game for Ps3 so a whole generation don't know it, same for the new Zelda. But one choosen to hold hand while the other other just kicj you out of the nest.

I'm not keen on how quickly they've jumped into dungeon content either, but I guess that falls under the umbrella of better create a massive tutorial that teaches everything ASAP. So far there has been very little character building.

I know it's all coming, though, just first impressions which I know will change. It plays like an on wheels prologue. A few hours of this versus the tens of hours to come will be fine.

These stats are a bit annoying been reading and studying forever still didn't increase can't tell how far o got to go proficiency went up idk how. Can't talk to anyone without guts which means no confidants are getting increased gah

These stats are a bit annoying been reading and studying forever still didn't increase can't tell how far o got to go proficiency went up idk how. Can't talk to anyone without guts which means no confidants are getting increased gah

if going by previous personas, knowledge is the hardest level to up and if it's your first persona you'll most likely won't be able to max most confidants on your first playthrough.

Anyway, I hope I don't have to wait till next week for the Japanese VA dlc to hit my local psn store. Freakin sony Asia

StereoVsn

if going by previous personas, knowledge is the hardest level to up and if it's your first persona you'll most likely won't be able to max most confidants on your first playthrough.

Anyway, I hope I don't have to wait till next week for the Japanese VA dlc to hit my local psn store. Freakin sony Asia
I believe you would want knowledge to be at least 2 before 5/11. Mild spoiler:
Exams kick off and you need Learned to do well

daveo42

Banned
Second dungeon much easier than the first. Made it to the first hard stopping point in one go as well as handled the mid-boss.
Yusuke is pretty amazing.
Not sure if I'll push through or spend some time on confidants

LiK

For my first run, I just go with the flow and do whatever I feel like when it comes to sidequests and SLs. I can do them during a replay. No need to stress out too much about it if you're new to the series.

The whole game is on a countdown, you cant just relax and eventually do everything.
which is fine?
the whole style is themed around the concept that the time flows and you should live the present not dwell on the past...
look at some of the social link in p3 and p4...

For my first run, I just go with the flow and do whatever I feel like when it comes to sidequests and SLs. I can do them during a replay. No need to stress out too much about it if you're new to the series.

That's the best way to do it IMO. First playthrough is for being surprised by the story and character developments. I didn't spend 7 months dodging fanart, fanfiction, videos of all kind, and most threads about P5 for nothing!

Chaos17

I'm not keen on how quickly they've jumped into dungeon content either, but I guess that falls under the umbrella of better create a massive tutorial that teaches everything ASAP. So far there has been very little character building.

I know it's all coming, though, just first impressions which I know will change. It plays like an on wheels prologue. A few hours of this versus the tens of hours to come will be fine.

People complained a lot about Persona 4 pacing but I also think it was better than now because each arc had a build up. Fortunaly, I've good news for you, starting chapter 2 game will stop holding your hand a little bit. I'm at the begging of chapter 3 and I've the feeling that I'm finaly starting the game since all the systems have been introduced.

So my suggestion: threat chapter 1 has a visual novel, read, kill what you've to on your path and get over with the dungeon asap, lol

d9b

Banned
I think it's the right approach. Take your time.

Recall

So im at that point where I have 14 days to complete the first palace.

Can I screw myself over by doing what I want with this free time? Like should I solely be concentrating on finding ways to boost stats?

I'm always terrified with Persona games of fucking myself over...

LiK

People complained a lot about Persona 4 pacing but I also think it was better than now because each arc had a build up. Fortunaly, I've good new for you, starting chapter 2 game will stop holding your hand a little bit. I'm at the begging of chapter 3 and I've the feeling that I'm finaly starting the game.

So my suggestion: threat chapter 1 has a visual novel, read, kill what you've to on your path and get over with it, lol

Definitely. I know guys who quit the game before the prologue even ended, lol. Personally, I really loved all the story stuff in P4G. People thought it was too long but I was into it and felt it did a good job establishing the leads.

P5 def goes into this faster and the way they structured the story is pretty interesting. I dunno if people know how story-driven this series is.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
(5/7) is the
"cats turning into busses"
thing a reference​ to
Totoro

So im at that point where I have 14 days to complete the first palace.

Can I screw myself over by doing what I want with this free time? Like should I solely be concentrating on finding ways to boost stats?

I'm always terrified with Persona games of fucking myself over...
From what I understand it takes a minimum of
days to finish the palace. So as long as you don't put it off too much you should be fine.

I believe you would want knowledge to be at least 2 before 5/11. Mild spoiler:
Exams kick off and you need Learned to do well
I guess knowledge really is the hardest to lvl up than? I got every question right except one in class, been at the library twice so far I read when I can at the cafe before I sleep. 4 days left until 5/11

Definitely. I know guys who quit the game before the prologue even ended, lol. Personally, I really loved all the story stuff in P4G. People thought it was too long but I was into it and felt it did a good job establishing the leads.

P5 def goes into this faster and the way they structured the story is pretty interesting. I dunno if people know how story-driven this series is.

It's kind of frustrating to me and I really wonder about the patience of some people. Like coming in here and posting how hand holdy the game is when they are only 3 hours deep. Do you really think the game is going to stay like this? Just relax and give it some time.

MikeBison

What's the best tactic for dungeons then?

Go in for a few days early on and get as far as you can, then spend a load of days doing social links and going back for the boss on the last few days of the deadline?

Or can I do it all super early on and have the remaining time until the deadline to do my social links etc?

Essentially, what I'm asking is what happens if you complete the boss before the deadline? Do I 'lose' that free time after school that I would have had?

Sorry i know this would have been answered but the thread moves fast. I've also played P4G so I should know, but it was years ago now.

KeRaSh

Obviously. The point is it doesn't feel like a standard countdown timer because time doesn't progrsss until you engage in an activity.

Therefore, to me at least, a lot of the worry/tension surrounding time management doesn't take happen.

I thought it would be like that but it's nice to have it confirmed. I was frantically running around on my way to school on the first day because I didn't want to be late but I guessed that there was nut internal clock that counts down while you just stand around.

Khoryos

What's the best tactic for dungeons then?

Go in for a few days early on and get as far as you can, then spend a load of days doing social links and going back for the boss on the last few days of the deadline?

Or can I do it all super early on and have the remaining time until the deadline to do my social links etc?

Essentially, what I'm asking is what happens if you complete the boss before the deadline? Do I 'lose' that free time after school that I would have had?

Sorry i know this would have been answered but the thread moves fast. I've also played P4G so I should know, but it was years ago now.

No matter when you clear it, you still have until the deadline, it doesn't skip your time.

What happens if you don't clear it by the deadline, are you just forced into it on the last day and must complete it?

Game over, man, game over. P4 let you go back seven days and continue, but I don't know about P5.

MikeBison

I thought it would be like that but it's nice to have it confirmed. I was frantically running around on my way to school on the first day because I didn't want to be late but I guessed that there was nut internal clock that counts down while you just stand around.

There are definitely no 'timers' in it. Things always progress when you commit to 'doing something' i.e. dungeon, reading, spending time with confidant, working your job etc.

Also, whenever you're in a dungeon, you come out at nighttime of the day you entered. Wether you went in and left immediately, or spent 5 hours in there.

MikeBison

What happens if you don't clear it by the deadline, are you just forced into it on the last day and must complete it?

iirc yeah, you get forced in the last day and come hell or high water you have to finish it. Worth having some extra saves to stop this.

squall23

A simple yes or no will suffice for this question about Morgana.

Is Morgana's story pretty much the same as Teddie's?

I guess knowledge really is the hardest to lvl up than? I got every question right except one in class, been at the library twice so far I read when I can at the cafe before I sleep. 4 days left until 5/11
Yeah I would focus on lvling up guts, charm, gentleness and proficiency before knowledge. You can gain +3 knowledge and +1 guts from ordering hot coffee at the diner during rainy days. There's also +1 knowledge from tv quizzes.

MSMrRound

Just download the free Japanese voice pack off the US psn store. Lots of R3 users reporting that it's working for them.

A simple yes or no will suffice for this question about Morgana.

Is Morgana's story pretty much the same as Teddie's?

Spoiler for their question about character
no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom