• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the game ever give more schedule freedom like p4?

I'm on 5/18 and I'm pretty sure 20 of the last like 22 nights it has forced me straight to bed.

So annoying especially for non dungeon days.

Neoweee

Feeling legit OP in the second Palace on normal.

Levelled up Death arcana to rank 7 and then bought 2 Invigorate 3 SP recovery accessories. Recovering 7 SP per turn on Hero and Morgana has made it so easy. I struggled to get through the first palace in 1 day due to SP but it wasn't an issue at all this time.

Damn. I'm going to bring it down to Hard, from Merciless.

Why would they put something like that in the game? The entire point of the DLC difficulty is to force the player to have to make multiple trips to the dungeon, to put more pressure on the other aspects of the game. But any kind of easy repeat SP generation like that makes it almost completely moot.

Does the game ever give more schedule freedom like p4?

I'm on 5/18 and I'm pretty sure 20 of the last like 22 nights it has forced me straight to bed.

So annoying especially for non dungeon days.

There's a few but there's usually enough time. More annoying when your told to go sleep and I want to explore the nights. Really regret not focusing on building my stats. Everything is at 2 except knowledge and guts at 3 and think I could have done better. Hopefully I can build a competent character for new game plus. Only in June so might be able to fix it.

Pastry

Banned
I downloaded the free health and card pack that are on the PlayStation store. I know I won't get the cards until later but where do I find the health stuff? The drinks?

ramyeon

Haven't bothered shopping for accessories and didn't even know those items were available. I presume they from the main trader. Still having issues with social ranks. Got 2s and 3s and think I ought to have a 4 by now. In June at the moment.
Available from Clinic. But they usually cost 100,000.
Bringing social link to level 7 makes it half price.
Damn. I'm going to bring it down to Hard, from Merciless.

Why would they put something like that in the game? The entire point of the DLC difficulty is to force the player to have to make multiple trips to the dungeon, to put more pressure on the other aspects of the game. But any kind of easy repeat SP generation like that makes it almost completely moot.
I mean. Invigorate accessories have ALWAYS been in Persona. Not sure what it has to do with the DLC difficulty or why it's making you want to change difficulty.

ys45

Played almost 4 hours yesterday evening.

Wow, all I can say is, it was worth the wait.

I'm still early in the game but damn they were not kidding when they said they wanted to
make the game darker and more adult (Only played P3 and P4) .

Light early spoiler about story(kinda)
I like how the game denounce the way society works and judge you only by the cover.
I mean heck you just tried to save a woman who was getting assaulted by a drunk rich guy and you are treated like a killer and even got kicked out of the school
is it really like that in Japan ?

Speaking of names, what'd you guys go with? The fiancé and I are playing together, so we named our character together. She picked the given name of Mamoru, as a reference to Sailor Moon, and I picked Miyamoto as the surname, as a nod to the man himself, and because "Mamoru Miyamoto" felt like an authentic-enough name that rolls off the tongue nicely.

PixelatedBookake

Okay, so where the hell can I find
Yusuke
post-second palace? I need to do his social links to make him better in battle but can't find him.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I downloaded the free health and card pack that are on the PlayStation store. I know I won't get the cards until later but where do I find the health stuff? The drinks?

Health stuff if I remember is in the storage (cardboard box) bit in your room.

Neoweee

Available from Clinic. But they usually cost 100,000.
Bringing social link to level 7 makes it half price.

I mean. Invigorate accessories have ALWAYS been in Persona. Not sure what it has to do with the DLC difficulty or why it's making you want to change difficulty.

They've always been there, and they shouldn't be there. The entire social aspect of the game is, in theory, about making you balance your time between dungeons and the social aspect. But the games have always become too easy to just go and do everything you are allowed to do in the dungeons in a single go.

The reduced EXP of Risky/Merciless should be something that encourages the player to have to make multiple trips to the dungeon. In practice, it doesn't, because SP regeneration is too readily accessible. It turns Risky/Merciless into just more grinding per trip to the dungeon, rather than requiring you to manage your time more effectively since you would otherwise have to make more trips into the dungeon.

Speaking of names, what'd you guys go with? The fiancé and I are playing together, so we named our character together. She picked the given name of Mamoru, as a reference to Sailor Moon, and I picked Miyamoto as the surname, as a nod to the man himself, and because "Mamoru Miyamoto" felt like an authentic-enough name that rolls off the tongue nicely.

Drew Shnurg, because Drew is my name and Shnurg is the name I use for all games. Wouldn't feel right to me to invent some japanese name just because.

Also I like being called Shnurg-kun. I can't imagine how that would get butchered in japanese.

dawgparty

They've always been there, and they shouldn't be there. The entire social aspect of the game is, in theory, about making you balance your time between dungeons and the social aspect. But the games have always become too easy to just go and do everything you are allowed to do in the dungeons in a single go.

The reduced EXP of Risky/Merciless should be something that encourages the player to have to make multiple trips to the dungeon. In practice, it doesn't, because SP regeneration is too readily accessible. It turns Risky/Merciless into just more grinding per trip to the dungeon, rather than requiring you to manage your time more effectively since you would otherwise have to make more trips into the dungeon.

Why are JRPG fans such snobs. If you love difficulty so much then don't make things easier for yourself.

PixelatedBookake

I went with Satoshi Mouto. The MC just screams "Satoshi" to me

Audioboxer

Be patient lol You start to have a certain degree of liberty and free-roaming after 5-6 hours in. Some beginners tips I posted a few pages back:

- Press square to auto-heal in a dungeon
- Normal difficulty provides a fair amount of challenge, you have to play smart if don't want to get wiped by "easy" mobs
- The game is completely on rails during the first 5-6 hours, then you are free to roam
- SP is the main limitation during the first dungeon, so try not to abuse SP-dependent skills (normal melee attacks deal a nice amount of damage)
- Extorting enemies for money or items is the fastest way to finish battles against tough enemies (you won't earn much experience though)
- Focus on getting one Persona of each element early on
- You can safely sell all the items marked as "treasure" for tons of money
- Use guns against flying enemies

Nice points.

It seems like me and everyone else is coming in and moaning about the start :p

Biggest negative for me was how this chucks you right into dungeons and what not, where as P4 took more time introducing you to a chunk of the main cast and day to day life first. Hours in and I basically know 1 character decently.

I know all of that will change but it's a different way of doing things from 4. Almost seems like they were worried people would stop playing if they didn't fast track the game to combat.

LiK

I always use my own name.

So my first time using remote play, I'm at my parents house over an hour away and the game plays perfectly on vita. Wonder how well it'll did when I go cross country in 2 weeks...

Didn't really focus on social levels until June and want to know if i can make reasonable progress withour sacrificing social links or is it one or other. Got levels 2 with two level 3s and I'm currently in the third dungeon.

I know this is a game about changing peoples hearts but I'm really annoyed with how nasty everyone is in the beginning of the game.

YaBish

People in here talking about having 3's in certain skills by June, while I'm sitting here at 1 guts in the middle of May despite trying everything under the sun.

I just wanna be able to talk to Tae :(

My social ranks are pretty screwed judging by this thread seeing ppl at 3s and 4s in June I'm halfway thru may with only proficiency at 2.
People in here talking about having 3's in certain skills by June, while I'm sitting here at 1 guts in the middle of May despite trying everything under the sun.

Exactly

YaBish

My social ranks are pretty screwed judging by this thread seeing ppl at 3s and 4s in June I'm halfway thru may with only proficiency at 2.
That's what I'm saying. I guess maybe it really opens up once the second palace starts rolling?

Edit: Shit! All those story days in a row probably means that my DVD is late.

Impulse bought this digitally last night, this is my first Persona. Seems like it starts pretty slowly?

I just
talked to the teacher in he faculty lounge on my first day at school.

Any tips?

To add to those tips, buy some books from the bookstore in Shinjuku central street when you're able. Sometimes on the way to school you can nab a seat on the train and read, which is good for some stats.

nOoblet16

When my main character says "I don't think my bond with xyz person will deepen just yet" I should just skip hanging out with them for the time being right ? Or do I still get something out of it?

RPGCrazied

Starting to learn how to make good cash. Part time job, plus bribing monsters for cash, selling treasures too. I have like over 25k doing this method. Course I hardly buy healing items, since they are really expensive.

nOoblet16

I went with Satoshi Mouto. The MC just screams "Satoshi" to me

My god. I thought the same when naming the MC. :D

Mine is Satoshi Hibiki.
I named him George Takei...lol

When my main character says "I don't think my bond with xyz person will deepen just yet" I should just skip hanging out with them for the time being right ? Or do I still get something out of it?

Nah you still have to spend time with them or hope that you get invited to a special hangout event on Sundays i.e movie hangouts(increases one of your stats by +3)

Arino Getsuya, (the Arino from Game Center CX) because it sounds Japanese to me but I don't really know enough about naming sensibilities in Japan to care too much about making something too plausible sounding. :p I was just sitting at the naming screen for a minute like, "Crap, I forgot I have to come up with something."

dawgparty

Ukemi Hara. Ukemi for slightly uncouth reasons and Hara in honor of the queen Setsuko Hara.

YaBish

Went with Yudai Suzuki because Ichiro is one of my favorite baseball players, and I found out that Yudai is the closest approximation in meaning to my name in Japanese.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My PS+ just ran out and I have no interest in resubbing - does the Thieves' Guild stuff work without it?

Seems to. I've never had PS+, the game gives me the option to enable it.

I've only 'used' it in the real world times to see how people spent their days, I haven't had a chance to use it during dungeons to see what it does exactly.

Linkura

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if someone else already posted this... but the victory theme reminds me of "Tequila!" Obviously not the exact same tune, but it is reminiscent. At least to me. I might be crazy though.

Tunoku

So if I acquire a Persona but delete it because I don't have space, can I still summon it from the Velvet Room?

Pretty sure you need to visit the Velvet Room with the new Persona with you to have it be registered there permanently. So you'd want to delete weaker Personas that are already in the compendium first.

Saphirax

Spending time with Tae, reading books and going to the cinema are just some of the ways to increase your guts.

nOoblet16

Nah you still have to spend time with them or hope that you get invited to a special hangout event on Sundays i.e movie hangouts(increases one of your stats by +3)
I see.

Btw I find it creepy that you as a high schooler can hit on older women like that doctor or especially a teacher. Considering when the sexes are reversed and it's a male teacher hitting on female student it's creepy even within the context of this game. But if it's a young dude doing it then it's all fine and dandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom