• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinroc

Speaking of names, what'd you guys go with? The fiancé and I are playing together, so we named our character together. She picked the given name of Mamoru, as a reference to Sailor Moon, and I picked Miyamoto as the surname, as a nod to the man himself, and because "Mamoru Miyamoto" felt like an authentic-enough name that rolls off the tongue nicely.

Akira Kurusu. Heard that was the name they give him in the manga and thought I'd go for it.

nOoblet16

I don't see how a 16-year old hitting on a, I dunno, 25? year old is comparable to a probably 30+ teacher
sexually abusing his underage students.
The dude is still underage.
And that's sort of my point I'm having difficulty explaining this but do you think if Persona 5 allowed you to play as a female it would have allowed you to pursue consensual relationships with male teachers ? I highly doubt it as that would be seen as too creepy, yet the opposite is fine.

Griss

The first couple of hours were great, but now I'm 8 hours in and still in the first dungeon and it's starting to drag a little bit.

I've never liked the SMT press turn battle system and nothing here changes my mind. My least favourite turn based RPG system - turns battles into a simon says game of just matching up the correct weakness to the correct enemy. You get way too many advantages for hitting a weakness. Means that battles are typically totally lopsided. At least this one doesn't have the god-forsaken smirk mechanic from SMT IV.

And while I like the overall jist of the story, the anime writing does bug me at times. Characters repeat themselves a lot, and there's too much of an emphasis on having each character stick to a certain 'mood' a lot of the time rather than reacting naturally. And often the reactions just don't seem normal and natural. For example, (1st dungeon spoilers, 18th April)
when Ann sees her shadow clone next to the gym teacher her reaction is 'Who is that?' when any normal person would recognise themselves and say 'What the fuck?' or similar.
There are a lot of moments like that, when I'm thinking, "Wait, that's their reaction to this?" In particular, there's way too much 'This doesn't make sense' and not enough 'How can this be?' Characters are way too slow to understand what's going on (Ryuji, man, come on) but way too quick to accept that all this absurd shit is real. It disengages me a little. I feel like it might be a localisation issue, maybe. Maybe "this doesn't make any sense" is a more catch-all phrase in Japan.

Also, it's pretty crazy that I'm 8 hours in and the actual daily life stuff has only just unlocked. I feel like the last 4 hours could have been edited.

The brightest point, though, is that the dungeon crawling is massively improved from the shite it was in Persona 4. That alone is a huge boost.

TrueBlue

Repeating and editing my previous question:

Also I missed a chance to hang out with a party member - Ann in this case - due to not having the necessary social stat. Are these misses permanent? I only ask because now I have the necessary stat built up.

When you click L1, right? Usually you don't know their weaknesses until you attack them with something they're weak to first.

Ahh okay, so I have to accidentally find the weakness, and then if I use analyze it will remind me what it is? That's cool I guess. I'm playing on Easy because I got stuck on P4G since I didn't really know what I was doing.

Also: named my mc Boyscout Juice

Khoryos

Repeating and editing my previous question:

To the best of my knowledge (Based on P4) those checks are just gates - as soon as you have a high enough stat (And it's the correct day/weather/whatever) you can start the S-Link.You'll have less time to complete it, obviously, because you're starting later, but that's just how Persona goes.

LiK

Ahh okay, so I have to accidentally find the weakness, and then if I use analyze it will remind me what it is? That's cool I guess. I'm playing on Easy because I got stuck on P4G since I didn't really know what I was doing.

Also: named my mc Boyscout Juice

Yea, and I love that they tell you what they're weak to directly in the menus now once you know it instead of highlighting them only.

btkadams

Does anyone else get a bit nauseated at the battle-end screen where the protagonist runs in a circle? It's really cool looking but i wish there was a way to just have a stationary finishing screen so my stomach doesn't churn every time.

aravuus

Is Clotho the lowest level Fortune persona you can fuse (26)?

The dude is still underage.
And that's sort of my point I'm having difficulty explaining this but do you think if Persona 5 allowed you to play as a female it would have allowed you to pursue consensual relationships with male teachers ? I highly doubt it as that would be seen as too creepy, yet the opposite is fine.

I don't know and I don't care, cause that's not the situation and we're not here to argue about hypotheticals. I still don't find young people hitting on older people really creepy at all, but I suppose we can only agree to disagree here.

Any recommendations on which ones to prioritize early on?

I'm only about 12 hours in, but for Persona games you should generally prioritize squadmate S-Links over others. The differences made will be more readily noticed during dungeon crawls.

That said, pay attention to the skills you unlock with each confidant (you can check what's upcoming in the confidant menu option) and see if their abilities sound useful or important to you. I'm sure there's a spoiler guide out there somewhere that has every ability listed for each link but I won't venture out there.

edit: For instance, I just got
Ryoji's
link up to 4 and now he will sometimes help me re-do stickups that go poorly.

JJShadow

I see. How do you do that?

You will be introduced to this really soon

Still early in the game. About 4 hours in. Unlocked
of the social links.

Any recommendations on which ones to prioritize early on?

Consensus is that one of the best is Death Arcana, as you can unlock several SP-restoring accesories if you rank it up

Are you not able to go back into palaces after beating the final boss? I'm still on my first.

Nope, you can't go back into a palace if you defeat the final boss

I found a spoiler free list of the dates where de Confidants become available and what social stats I need for the ranks, so I'm trying to do some management for this. The worst one appears to be
Hanged Man, needing 4 in Guts to start and being available as soon as 05/06
. But I'll try anyway.

Could you share this list? I'm too worried about spoilers to search myself, but I also don't want to miss Confidants.

Zafir

I'm only about 12 hours in, but for Persona games you should generally prioritize squadmate S-Links over others. The differences made will be more readily noticed during dungeon crawls.

That said, pay attention to the skills you unlock with each confidant (you can check what's upcoming in the confidant menu option) and see if their abilities sound useful or important to you. I'm sure there's a spoiler guide out there somewhere that has every ability listed for each link but I won't venture out there.

edit: For instance, I just got
Ryoji's
link up to 4 and now he will sometimes help me re-do stickups that go poorly.
Considering persona 5 adds really good bonuses to every social link pretty much I don't think you do need to prioritise squad mates.

I'd argue death and temperance for example are important to get up.

LiK

Damn, are there must-have items exclusively hidden in chests, or just decent items that you also see elsewhere?

Just armor, accessories and some health, SP items from what I found. It's not all super amazing stuff. I actually skipped one cuz I was lazy. Hope there's no trophy tied to finding them all in one Palace.

suracity

Just armor, accessories and some health, SP items from what I found. It's not all super amazing stuff. I actually skipped one cuz I was lazy. Hope there's no trophy tied to finding them all in one Palace.

Don't worry there is no treasure related trophy.
I opened them all because I found my companions reaction amusing.

Hell yeah

This is a fact. The music isn't as in your face as p4 but dungeon 3 music is great. Can already say persona 5 will be one of those rates games that I instantly replay after I beat it. Already taken bloodborne spots at 2 and will see where it goes if it takes nier automata place as 1. One hour left before i can get back to the game.

Khoryos

It's just occurred to me to wonder - can you get Fusion Accidents in this like in P4? And if so, how do you increase the odds?

Neoweee

Some musings on Merciless difficulty vs Hard.

So Merciless is probably just an ultra-niche difficulty level. It is absolutely doable on NG, but requires probably about 30-40% more grinding than most players wanting a challenge would be willing to tolerate.

It is not a difficulty focused on NG+. The damage is mostly the same as Hard mode. If you take your end-game level, carry it over to the start of the game, what exactly is reduced EXP gain supposed to do? I've seen no reports on it being remotely hard on NG+.

So what does it effectively do for regular NG? Getting less exp will leave you a few levels below the curve, which leaves you else able to recruit and fuse new Persona. You're generally going to take more damage than on Hard, and deal a bit less damage. And that's fine, and expected from an increased difficulty. The change to money drops doesn't really matter much, because it does not impact Hold Up extortion.

The real downside, however, is in the early game when it feels vital to offset the changes to damage with buffs/debuffs, which you can't get, because you can't fuse or recruit the Persona that actually have those things, and your characters don't learn them early enough.

The other main change-- an additional 3x Multiplier to Weakness, Criticals, and Technicals, actually works in the player's favor a good chunk of the time, it seems. Minibosses don't have boss resistances, so you can just put them to sleep, then hit them with a physical skill for huge damage. Despite being underleveled, the minibosses in the first dungeon die in two hits. Regular enemies go down a lot faster, because spells will either kill them or leave them in All Out range.

Invigorate is still here, and probably better than ever, so it eventually doesn't cause you take more trips to the dungeon than would otherwise have to.

Summary:
- Merciless is an NG difficulty, but one that does require grinding.
- The changes do virtually nothing to make NG+ harder than Hard.
- Reduced EXP gain makes the game a tad bit harder in most circumstances, but very spiky when you fall outside the ability to withstand hits.
- You generally have less access to new Persona, both through recruiting and fusion.
- Minibosses and "hard" regular enemies are actually easier on Merciless than on Hard.
- Regular encounters can go a bit faster due to the increased weakness multiplier.
- Only in the first dungeon does Merciless really require more distinct visits to the dungeons than Hard.
- Confidant bonuses help you cover the level gap a bit due to the fusion bonus.
- The difficulty probably smooths out a bit later, if you can deal with some substantial spikes in the first dungeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom