• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a newcomer to the series I'm just not feeling it yet. Over three hours in and I'm still basically in tutorial mode, it seems very slow going.

It is very slow, but there's a lot of mechanics to go over. I can imagine it being overwhelming if they were to rush you through it all.

It could definitely be handled better, but it is a lengthy game and it will start opening up soon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In late June, just got to
the third dungeon and Makoto joined
. This is already my favorite Persona game. Aside from the style (which really is as great as everyone says) the story never, ever loses pace and each major dungeon is handcrafted and fun to play through.
Jumping through paintings
is such a huge leap over Tartarus, and even over anything in P4's dungeons. The cast, both main and supporting, is also fantastic.

kromeo

Got out of the castle for the second time and it hasn't grabbed me yet, all I can think playing this is that I really want to replay 3 and 4

Every seems to love it but I don't like the UI much, it feels like something you'd find in Guitar Hero

Mossybrew

I'm certainly not giving up on it or anything, yes I will "take my time" and look forward to the game opening up some more.

So I never got into 3 and 4 not sure what it was, but I stopped 3 about 15 hours in and 4 about halfway through. This one though, I am loving so far. I am only about 6ish hours into it, but it's the first Persona that I am actually enjoying playing.

I guess I need to stop fretting over people saying the first 2-3 hours slow because a lot of people feel this way, but I'm not sure you would prefer the alternative and have some faith in the critics, fans, and the game itself that this is not what the entire game is like.

On a personal level I've always enjoyed the opening hours of Persona.

tbm24

So I'm start my first formal palace infiltration and I'm pulled into the Velvet room for the fusion tutorial. At this point I believe I'm stuck? I currently have a Jack-o'Latern, Pixie, Arsenal, and an Incubus while I'm at level 5. It seems to be forcing me to perform a fusion and the only thing I can make that does t exceed lv5 is fusing with Arsenal which I don't want to do. Not sure what to do?

Jswanko

When you finish a dungeon before the deadline does the game fast forward to after the deadline? I dont remember how it worked in P4. Dont want to miss out on opportunities for social links, etc.

Does picking the right dialouge choices during cutscenes improve your skill? I'm 12 hours in, but I haven't gotten anything yet. Might as well pick the stupid/jerk answers.

When you finish a dungeon before the deadline does the game fast forward to after the deadline? I dont remember how it worked in P4. Dont want to miss out on opportunities for social links, etc.

It didn't do that in P4. Doubt it does it here, but I can't say for sure as I'm still finishing up the initial arc.

jediyoshi

Looking at the level averages, I'm a little shocked how under leveled I came into the 3rd palace. I was lv20 and on the 1-2nd day, the average was 23.

Alavard

So I'm start my first formal palace infiltration and I'm pulled into the Velvet room for the fusion tutorial. At this point I believe I'm stuck? I currently have a Jack-o'Latern, Pixie, Arsenal, and an Incubus while I'm at level 5. It seems to be forcing me to perform a fusion and the only thing I can make that does t exceed lv5 is fusing with Arsenal which I don't want to do. Not sure what to do?

I completed my fusion there, but I believe you can start the fusion and cancel out of it before confirming, and the game moves on. I was told the choice was 'ultimately up to you' when doing that fusion.

Does picking the right dialouge choices during cutscenes improve your skill? I'm 12 hours in, but I haven't gotten anything yet. Might as well pick the stupid/jerk answers.

Story cutscene responses don't seem to matter. Hanging out with confidants and in class you'll want to watch what you say to get the correct responses.

Also just FYI for the class stuff if you have network options enabled you can press the touchpad to see what other people chose as the answer and cheese that way. No more looking at FAQs!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yay got my 10€ from Sony form the whole "spend 50€ in march", time for Persona

Demption

I have 9 days left for finishing the first dungeon and I have reached half way according to Morgana, am i moving too slow? My level is 6 or 7.

Is there anything in-game that indicates upcoming weather? I looked at the day transition screen and the calendar and didn't see anything, I want to be able to plan for rainy study days (even though the first damn rainy day I got in a while was taken up by mandatory "go to sleep early" crap).

I have 9 days left for finishing the first dungeon and I have reached half way according to Morgana, am i moving too slow? My level is 6 or 7.

You should be ok, take it at your own pace. I also thought the second half was a bit shorter than the first, but it might be my imagination.

That said, do keep in mind you actually need to reach the treasure 3 days before the stated end goal of 5/2, check the calendar to confirm. It's kind of silly and previous games didn't do it.

JJShadow

You are fine but I'd recommend you finishing it as soon as possible so you can forget about the deadline. Due to story events, you need minimum 3 more days

tbm24

I completed my fusion there, but I believe you can start the fusion and cancel out of it before confirming, and the game moves on. I was told the choice was 'ultimately up to you' when doing that fusion.

Well I tried and I'm not able to back up without completing a fusion. At this point I don't know what to do. I'm looking but I don't see a way to release my Inccubus so I can fuse Pixie and Jack together for one and get past this.

I'd really like some people's opinion on this.

Very, very, very vague discussion about romancing that I'm spoilering just in case someone is extra sensitive (no specifics, seriously):

I know the age of consent is younger in Japan but it is really really weirding me out that you can romance adults/authority figures as an underage high schooler. It would be one thing if you were in Grade 3 and 18, but you're 16-17 years old.

The problem is, they're great characters that I'm happy are included for the narrative's sake, but man. That is problematic, to say the least, from a Western cultural point of view.
Can you even do that though?
I'm not far enough in Temperance(Rank 4ish maybe) or the Newsreporter, but in the past when you've had adult social-links, yes you can maybe do joke flirting, but it never becomes a full romance or anything. That's always been reserved for the girls in your school.

You absolutely can. Multiple
adults
are fully romance-able.

LiK

hztcnioeanhhk0hpny2r.gif

Haha, I'm so glad this was gifed.

Type2

Well I tried and I'm not able to back up without completing a fusion. At this point I don't know what to do. I'm looking but I don't see a way to release my Inccubus so I can fuse Pixie and Jack together for one and get past this.
You can buy back or recapture personas.
I think one annoying thing is that your starter persona won't be registered and you'll end up buying back at level 1.

tbm24

You can buy back or recapture personas.
I think one annoying thing is that your starter persona won't be registered and you'll end up buying back at level 1.
Well that's a bummer. I really liked Arsene's design. Just think it's a weird situation to be forced into and before Arsene even gets to be registered. I don't remember having to deal with anything like this in 3 and 4.

Shouta

I dislike this kind of difficulties

I kinda enjoy it if only because it'll make my AI Only, Custom Arsene NG hard. =P

Well that's a bummer. I really liked Arsene's design. Just think it's a weird situation to be forced into and before Arsenal even gets to be registered. I don't remember having to deal with anything like this in 3 and 4.

It's better if you create your own mega-powerful arsene, anyway. =P

Well that's a bummer. I really liked Arsene's design. Just think it's a weird situation to be forced into and before Arsenal even gets to be registered. I don't remember having to deal with anything like this in 3 and 4.

ah yes you did in 3, infact you didnt get access to the compendium until after the first full moon boss in persona 3

Joqu

As a newcomer to the series I'm just not feeling it yet. Over three hours in and I'm still basically in tutorial mode, it seems very slow going.

I mean honestly, the game might give you more freedom later on but treat those moments like a visual novel, it's a slow paced story focused series + dungeons. I found the opening to be really enjoyable looking at it that way.

pixxxelz

Dumb question but since they added so many things from the main smt games into this one I wonder: do personas evolve after they reach a certain level like the demons in the smt games?

I didn't realize I was so bad at this game until I realized that even on easy I'm going to have to go back and grind in order to get the dungeon done before the deadline.

Is this game like Persona 4 in that the first dungeon is the hardest one?

LiK

I didn't realize I was so bad at this game until I realized that even on easy I'm going to have to go back and grind in order to get the dungeon done before the deadline.

People are saying the 3rd dungeon is kicking their ass so i expect it to be tougher later.

tbm24

ah yes you did in 3, infact you didnt get access to the compendium until after the first full moon boss in persona 3
I do not at all remember being in a situation where Orpheus was pretty much forced to be fused. I'm only in this situation because I picked up an Incubbus early which negates a Jack and Pixie fusion. Just not what I wanted to happen this early.

Jiraiza

Best way is to just start over and make sure not to get an Incubus next time. Arsene's pretty useful in the first dungeon because of Dream Needles. I plan on keeping him all the way through though because he's cool (and vanilla).

Man, just like the other Personas you really have to work for those Knowledge gains. It takes like 3 or 4 times as much as the other stats to go up a level.

Chaos17

You don't have to grind at all, just kill everything on your way and when you're low SP, find a safe room and go back in real world to regen. The game force you to do that by giving you 0 SP regen items in the begining.
Just remember to each new enemy you encounter test their magic weakness, it's pretty rare you will need buff or debuff.
I play on normal and the bosses (first and second) were jokes.

Joqu

I love his design too but he started sucking really fast when I tried keeping him around anyway. Modern Persona really isn't about keeping your starting Persona around as I'm sure you're aware, Golden spoiled me. :/

Type2

Well that's a bummer. I really liked Arsene's design. Just think it's a weird situation to be forced into and before Arsene even gets to be registered. I don't remember having to deal with anything like this in 3 and 4.
It's a bit clumsy to not auto register arsene before the fusion tutorial but you'll be able to buy him back if you really want him. With only 6 slots and all the stuff available in the castle you'd end up fusing him at some point.

nOoblet16

"I'm a Shap Shefter"

Seriously I like the song (song is called Beneath the Mask) and would send it to all my friends if it wasn't for that, I didn't even realise she was saying shapeshifter and had to look up the lyrics. I know she is singing with a different accent and that's fine for the whole song except for that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom