• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first Persona so I have a question I'm curious about:there's a deadline for completing the first dungeons but I've been running around doing various activities, studying etc. If I were to simply rush into the dungeon and finish it would I lose the days leading up until the deadline? Does the story fast forward through it and I would lose out on those 10 or so days?

No, those are just free days for you. The main story will not progress until you pass the deadline point, so feel free to hang out with confidants or level up stats.

Thank you!

Make sure you have a persona of the matching type with you when you hang out. This gives you 'bonus' friendship points for ranking up. In older games I believe it was a 50% boost.

any quick tips before jumping in?..

Off the top of my head

-Keep fusing your personas, and always try to get new ones that you see in dungeons when you can. This is the easiest way to make sure you're as strong as possible. Once a persona has gotten a few skills (gained a couple levels) it is safe to fuse it
-Make sure you have as wide an elemental spread as possible. After the first dungeon you should always be able to hit weaknesses for fire/ice/wind/lightning/curse
-Pay attention to what bonuses Confidants give you. Each rank is something that will help you in your dungeon crawling efforts. This can range from bonus xp when All-Out attacking or letting you stick up enemies after failing the first try
-Many Confidants require high stats to get to know them. You should be ranking up stats when you're not ranking up Confidant levels
-EARLY STAT PRIORITY -> Guts 2 -> Kindness 2 -> Smarts 3
-Generally only use spells if they let you hit an enemy weakness, not just because they do more damage. SP recovery is a real bitch and you don't want to waste too many days on doing dungeons
-Don't leave a dungeon until basically everyone is completely out of SP. Don't use SP restorative items unless you are in a real bind, you might well need them for difficult bosses later on.
-The first ingame week is pretty much all tutorials, just relax and go with the flow

^^ My advice 12 hours in. Enjoy!

LiK

any quick tips before jumping in? I dont give a fuck about mechanic spoilers, Im not a fan of the whole "go in blind and discover yourself man!", if it will ease up any potencial fuck up of frustration I will gladly want to know.

This will be my first Persona game, alrhough i've played countless of jrpgs.

There aren't any general tips other than to just play it your own way for the first run. Game tutorial messages tell you everything you need to know. We would just be repeating the same things for the most part. If you have specific things you're not clear of, you can ask them when you actually play it.

The only general tip I will give is to make backup saves.

katagai

I'm trying to finish the first dungeon, and the enemy difficulty has shot up for some reason, and they seem to be cheating by taking turns whenever they feel like it?

Then you have to endure the frustration of going all the way back to the safe room, which is really infuriating.

Yeah, coming from P4G, this change is really annoying, especially considering enemies (I'm looking at you Berith) can kill someone with just two attacks. I'm not looking forward to situations where you need your entire team to guard, only to have the enemy get another turn before the rest of your party has a chance to react.

Blindy

Having so much difficulty with the batting cage, I get the concept of needing to time the bat to hit the ball but it's still not hitting it consistently.

Jiraiza

I'm trying to finish the first dungeon, and the enemy difficulty has shot up for some reason, and they seem to be cheating by taking turns whenever they feel like it?

Then you have to endure the frustration of going all the way back to the safe room, which is really infuriating.

You should always get an Ambush on any enemies you fight, otherwise you might just end up dead, sadly. The second half of the first dungeon does spike up a bit in difficulty, and it would be wise to skip them if you can; unless you want to grind them since they give some good experience, particularly the archangel guy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There aren't any general tips other than to just play it your own way for the first run. Game tutorial messages tell you everything you need to know. We would just be repeating the same things for the most part. If you have specific things you're not clear of, you can ask them when you actually play it.

The only general tip I will give is to make backup saves.

first run? theres no first run for a 100 hour game mate, theres THE run lol. Theres barely time in the world for one :3

I guess ill mostly need help with the whole fusion thing or sidequests I could miss and shit, will figure out as I play then

Off the top of my head

-Keep fusing your personas, and always try to get new ones that you see in dungeons when you can. This is the easiest way to make sure you're as strong as possible. Once a persona has gotten a few skills (gained a couple levels) it is safe to fuse it
-Make sure you have as wide an elemental spread as possible. After the first dungeon you should always be able to hit weaknesses for fire/ice/wind/lightning/curse
-Pay attention to what bonuses Confidants give you. Each rank is something that will help you in your dungeon crawling efforts. This can range from bonus xp when All-Out attacking or letting you stick up enemies after failing the first try
-Many Confidants require high stats to get to know them. You should be ranking up stats when you're not ranking up Confidant levels
-Generally only use spells if they let you hit an enemy weakness, not just because they do more damage. SP recovery is a real bitch and you don't want to waste too many days on doing dungeons
-Don't leave a dungeon until basically everyone is completely out of SP. Don't use SP restorative items unless you are in a real bind, you might well need them for difficult bosses later on.
-The first ingame week is pretty much all tutorials, just relax and go with the flow

^^ My advice 12 hours in. Enjoy!

thank you, those SP tips in particular are the kind of things I want to know going in.

I was looking for the japanese voices download and I see theres a bit of extra free DLC content, neat.

God this game is so addicting

Is person 4 golden downgraded in anyway?

I tried to play persona 4 and it was a little difficult for me

"I don't think my bond will deepen just yet"

Should I still hang out with them or is it a waste of time?

You will get that a lot, especially if you're not having the corresponding arcana equiped when you hang out with them. Waiting around will for the most part do nothing to advance your relationship. In other words, yes, you should still hang out with them if you don't mind not getting any confidant bonuses for that day.

No, Golden is the absolute definitive edition of the game. Nothing I know of from the original game has been removed. Only a couple voices have changed.

LiK

first run? theres no first run for a 100 hour game mate, theres THE run lol. Theres barely time in the world for one :3

I guess ill mostly need help with the whole fusion thing or sidequests I could miss and shit, will figure out as I play then

Hey, I gave you my tips, take it or leave it. Trying to 100% a Persona game on your first run is just work and ruins the experience. I save that shit for NG+. Not sure why you think it's a 100 hour game, lol

P4G destroys P4 in additonal content and improvements. It's the definitive edition.

The first bit of the game is amazing but now I'm halfway throw the first dungeon and P5 has slowed down a bit. The narrative and time management stuff and characters are amazing, but this dungeon feels like the game is just getting started scope wise. It some really cool flips on P4. Also I think I'm at the point of this dungeon where enemies start to really show their teeth.

You should always get an Ambush on any enemies you fight, otherwise you might just end up dead, sadly. The second half of the first dungeon does spike up a bit in difficulty, and it would be wise to skip them if you can; unless you want to grind them since they give some good experience, particularly the archangel guy.

I just ambushed a demon that turned out to be a knight, similar to the
miniboss in front of the statue
earlier on. It wasn't his turn, he didn't charge up, and he did splash damage and took out the time with one move. And it's back to the saferoom. Stupidly frustrating, I don't see me ploughing through 100 hours of this kind of bullshit.

Nothing I find less acceptable in a game in 2017 than having to repeat lengthy chunks just because the save system is from 1995.

So is the social system pretty much the same as Trails of Cold Steel 1? I wasn't so big on that.

I did a media blackout for P5 but then it got delayed so I decided to pickup CS1 to hold me over. I didn't realize both games had social systems, I would have picked up another title to bide my time.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
earlier on. It wasn't his turn, he didn't charge up, and he did splash damage and took out the time with one move. And it's back to the saferoom. Stupidly frustrating, I don't see me ploughing through 100 hours of this kind of bullshit.

That sort of thing almost never happens on easy.

Blindy

Having so much difficulty with the batting cage, I get the concept of needing to time the bat to hit the ball but it's still not hitting it consistently.
Think I am catching my mistake, I am so used to MVP Baseball 2005/MLB The Show(Unless its changed?) of using the left stick/pulling up with the stick to launch a ball that it counts against you in this game. Still can't say I am used to this at all though. Naturally for me, the left stick is going to adjust up since you are required to hold the stick at a certain angle to get contact so I am ending up whiffing the ball entirely.

What sucks is having to hit a target to count as a HR when I have launched balls nearly at the target. It's a home run regardless because of the distance it travels, come on lol.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Nothing I find less acceptable in a game in 2017 than having to repeat lengthy chunks just because the save system is from 1995.

Yep, this happened to me too. Same situation, ambushed and everything, didn't even get a turn in, and promptly got wrecked.

Not sure why I didn't get a turn in, but I moved it down to easy (for now) after the restart and losing 20 minutes of progress right.

Funny thing is a safe room was right behind the guy I ambushed, lol.

Frimaire

Welp, looks like the party member for the 2nd dungeon is shaping up to be
Yusuke
I just want
Makoto
on my team, damnit!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Think I am catching my mistake, I am so used to MVP Baseball 2005/MLB The Show(Unless its changed?) of using the left stick/pulling up with the stick to launch a ball that it counts against you in this game. Still can't say I am used to this at all though.

What sucks is having to hit a target to count as a HR when I have launched balls nearly at the target. It's a home run regardless because of the distance it travels, come on lol.

This isn't a particularly deep simulator. You have to aim at the bottom of the ball to hit it high, and then the rest is timing.

But as I mentioned before, outside of the trophy, there's better uses of your time, for the most part.

twisteh

You will get that a lot, especially if you're not having the corresponding arcana equiped when you hang out with them. Waiting around will for the most part do nothing to advance your relationship. In other words, yes, you should still hang out with them if you don't mind not getting any confidant bonuses for that day.
Thanks!

Don't want to ruin first playthrough with a guide obviously, so just going to try my best haha.

Is there anything to bear in mind though?

Venfayth

I forgot about a bunch of DVDs for 30 days past the due date. 36000 yen return fee.
They waves the fees thank god.

Whew.

The first bit of the gane is amazing but now I'm halfway throw the first dungeon and P5 has slowed down a bit. The narrative and time management stuff and characters are amazing, but this dungeon feels like the gane is just getting started scope wise. It some really cool flips on P4. Also I think I'm at the point of this dungeon where enemies start to really show their teeth.

By the end of the dungeon I was floored by how great they are handled. It only makes sense though because what I have always loved about the Persona team is how well they attach every element of their games to their narrative and themes.

Basically what I'm saying is the heist aspect of the dungeon, and the use of gameplay elements in the boss fights, are great.

Blindy

This isn't a particularly deep simulator. You have to aim at the bottom of the ball to hit it high, and then the rest is timing.

But as I mentioned before, outside of the trophy, there's better uses of your time, for the most part.
Ha I want the trophy! I just have to hit the target once, PS4 recognizes the trophy and I can even load the game back and do something else.

Alucrid

Banned
spoiler for emperor s link

just did the first part where you're thrown into the fight against some slimes. i wish s links would add more combat / exploring / quest type missions while raising them. would be a bit more interesting.

muteki

I'd say this game is probably a little easier that P4/G on normal. At least, to get over that first dungeon/boss difficulty bump.

Venfayth

Uggh I missed the Makami Persona in the second dungeon but now that I finished it I can't go back? Where does it appear in Mementos?

You can fuse almost all persona in the game with other personas. Fusing two persona of a specific arcana together will give you another persona of that arcana with a lower base level as long as it exists. For example pixie is the lowest base level Lovers arcana so you could fuse the next two higher level Lovers arcana persona together to get her specifically.

Zyrox

Welp just lost an hour of progress due to getting SMT'd by a low level enemy...feelsfuckingbadman.
Edit: Actually, more like 2 hours. Why did my dumb ass not save before going into that memento? Urgh.

Neoweee

Welp just lost an hour of progress due to getting SMT'd by a low level enemy...feelsfuckingbadman.

Yup. The game still encourages splitting "kill enemy" runs and "advancement" runs, out of risk of getting SMT'd.

I'd say this game is probably a little easier that P4/G on normal. At least, to get over that first dungeon/boss difficulty bump.

Curiously, P4/G is from an era where Atlus was extremely reluctant to change how much damage enemies receive via difficulty level. So there wasn't really much of a jump in difficulty level when going from Normal to Hard. Now enemies actually are more durable on higher difficulties, which leads to notably more substantial divide between Normal/Hard in P5 (and SMT4A) compared to P3/P4.

Blindy

Fair point, I didn't think of that.
OMG I DID IT. I made contact on all 5 and a home run there, I will keep that, save the game and never touch this ever again! lol

I was so heated, the ball barely missed the target and it didn't count as a HR. Finally lucked into one though, saw the trophy and jumped off my chair in glee. I wasted a half hour on this, I am so dumb.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
OMG I DID IT. I made contact on all 5 and a home run there, I will keep that, save the game and never touch this ever again! lol

I was so heated, the ball barely missed the target and it didn't count as a HR. Finally lucked into one though, saw the trophy and jumped off my chair in glee. I wasted a half hour on this, I am so dumb.

Haha, congrats!

Zesh

Does exploring/fast travelling take up time? I just got to 4/18; am I free to explore Tokyo without using up my afternoon or anything?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Does exploring/fast travelling take up time? I just got to 4/18; am I free to explore Tokyo without using up my afternoon or anything?

Nope, you can take the train a hundred times and no time will pass. Same with shopping.

Time only passes when you commit to an activity (be that hanging out with someone, or studying, or working a part time job, etc.)

Is there a trick to the demon negotiations, or is it purely random?

It's not random, it all comes down to their personality and what answers people with that personality prefer. There's a tutorial on it.

StereoVsn

Yeap, unless you do an activity, time does not advance. Some activities don't really count either like Shopping. So keep in mind that eating in places like a diner or burger joint at night do advance the time.

Nope, you can take the train a hundred times and no time will pass. Same with shopping.

Time only passes when you commit to an activity (be that hanging out with someone, or studying, or working a part time job, etc.)

It's not random, it all comes down to their personality and what answers people with that personality prefer. There's a tutorial on it.

They have personalities/temperaments that determine the answers they like. You can see what they are in their status screen in battle in the upper left. Aeana screenshotted how you should answer from the tutorial info in the game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233449110&postcount=6201

Cheers.

Dresden

Finished the first dungeon last night. It's nice having dungeons. Dungeons are cool, even if the first dungeon was a really basic dungeon. More complex dungeons would make for better dungeoning later on. Looking forward to the syfy dungeon a glimpse of which I glimpsed in one of the earlier trailers.

I wanted to one-day the damn thing, but I got near the end and called it a day because I was out of sp and didn't think I had enough to take on whatever boss awaited. Then I go back in and that's when they introduce the calling card mechanic. To make that day less of a waste I ended up completely clearing the palace, and hit level 11, which in turn made the actual boss a pushover.

Anyway I'm hooked now, all in, etc. This might turn out to be a pretty good game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Almost 5 hours into the game, it just keeps getting and better.

I already like it more than P4G and I loved that.

Does anyone know if there are additional 'costumes' in the main game?

In golden there was a clothes shop that opened up in the nearby town, wondering if that's a thing in P5 or if it is all DLC (which I will almost certainly buy)

Gonna make a cross post in both OTs - I'm having a difficult time choosing between this or Nier.

I get that they are completely different games, but I still need to choose between them. I only have time for one. Which one do I get? Help me GAF. Heading to the store in five minutes, need to have made a decision by then!

If you've got time for an 80 hour RPG, go with this. Simply more bang for your buck here.

Robiin

Gonna make a cross post in both OTs - I'm having a difficult time choosing between this or Nier.

I get that they are completely different games, but I still need to choose between them. I only have time for one. Which one do I get? Help me GAF. Heading to the store in five minutes, need to have made a decision by then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom