• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ, is this game ever gonna give me an extended period of freedom to do what I want? It seems like it's always trying to tell more of the main story or explain some new location/mechanic. I just want some downtime where I can do some social links and side stuff, I don't remember 4 being so pushy. Also I hate how they take you out of what's going on every now and then to take you back to the interogation. I don't care about that right now, just leave me to what's actually going on in the time being please game.

Just got to the 2nd dungeon and I'm finding myself somewhat disappointed by the story.
The group doesn't feel close yet (the "oh the buffet closed so we don't have a reason to talk to eachother again until we meet tomorrow at school" scene... lol), the only reason the story goes on being that Ryuji wants the world to know about the phantoms, which at the same time they are trying to keep secret and then the motivation to steal the second heart being Ann's nudes... I don't know I'm not feeling it.

I'm looking forward to the group expanding and bonding later, though. P4's cast didn't begin to shine until Kanji and Rise joined.

I'm just infiltrating the 2nd palace too and hoo-boy it feels like the story fell off a cliff. Hope this is just a lull because I loved everything up until now but, man, this conceit, the motivation of the heist, and Yusuke as a character (writing, design, acting) are abysmal and really turning me off.

Christ, is this game ever gonna give me an extended period of freedom to do what I want? It seems like it's always trying to tell more of the main story or explain some new location/mechanic. I just want some downtime where I can do some social links and side stuff, I don't remember 4 being so pushy. Also I hate how they take you out of what's going on every now and then to take you back to the interogation. I don't care about that right now, just leave me to what's actually going on in the time being please game.

I feel similarly to this too. I like the variety of required events and everything but there's WAY too much of it still in the second act of the game. The beginning makes sense but by this point I sure would love just, like, four days in a row where I can decide what I'd like to do.

I have to believe that this is just a sophomore slump for the experience and it will pick back up in a big way. (I've still got like 80 hours left, after all.)

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This storytelling structure really reminds me of the Mega Man Battle Network series. Daily life, school, some self contained problem arises, fight a big bad, repeat. It's kinda cozy in that regard.

Ydelnae

I rented a DVD and the game wouldn't let me do anything at night for days and now I got to return it with a 1500 yen fee for being 7 days late.

What day are you on?

ramyeon

Sounds like you're pretty early on still and this one isn't any worse than P4 in that regard.

Kimaka

4/15

YAAAASS ANN

I can't remember the last time I hated a villain this much. I can't wait to beat the shit out of Kamoshida.

To be fair...it really just sounds like you're still in the beginning of the game.

Persona 4 took awhile to let you go around freely too.

FluxWaveZ

I rented a DVD and the game wouldn't let me do anything at night for days and now I got to return it with a 1500 yen fee for being 7 days late.

Though, if you gotta pay that fee, it means you had already returned a DVD past its due date once before. Should have learned from that!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Exact same thing happened to me with my first rental. 2700 yen of rental fees I believe.

Kinda felt weird
getting vocals to the overworld theme when you have the ability to go out at night.

Felt like there should've been a conversation like:

Sojiro: Here you go kid. I'm giving you the keys to lock up at night. You can go out but not to far.
Protagonist: Thanks....and is it possible to...
Sojiro: Hmm? What is it?
Protagonist: Is it possible to add a vocal track to my walking around music?
Sojiro: (........)
Sojiro: Fine. Just dont cause me any trouble you hear. First sign of you enjoying it to much and I wont be afraid to kick you out.
Portagonist: I won't. Thanks.

Very similar thing happened to me!!

"I think you should go to sleep. You're going to be getting lunch tomorrow, after all!" WHAT?

LET ME RETURN MY FUCKING DVDS.

What day are you on?

Sounds like you're pretty early on still and this one isn't any worse than P4 in that regard.

To be fair...it really just sounds like you're still in the beginning of the game.

Persona 4 took awhile to let you go around freely too.

I'm starting to feel similar to him and I'm on 5/19.

Ydelnae

Though, if you gotta pay that fee, it means you had already returned a DVD past its due date once before. Should have learned from that!

No, there were too many people in the queue and the cashier let me go without paying. I'm a good citizen and always return my DVD everytime my talking cat with insomniaphobia allows me to leave my room at night.

nOoblet16

This has become one of my favourite games of all time really.

Before I begin let me tell you that I never really got into Persona 3 and Persona 4 because the dungeons were boring, fighting felt like a monotonous chore and the social system felt very obtuse to get into. This game however I gave it a chance and the dungeons being theme based really solves 50% of the problems I had with Persona games. The social system is something I gave a chance because the story and characters intrigued me so much. The most fascinating thing about this game is just how long it is, or more importantly how long it feels. What I mean by that is with eventhe you have other RPGs that go on for 100 hours or so the main story could boil down to a couple of events and the entire ordeal seems like it's something that could happen in a week. Here it feels different I am only doing my third dungeon and it feels like so much progression has happened story wise and it really feels like the journey so far has taken a couple of months rather than a week or so.

I'm amazed at how unique this game is an as someone who never really got into Persona enough to like it, every system in this game from its battles (despite being traditional turn based with a twist) to character development feels very fresh and is like a genuine new experience for me.

FluxWaveZ

No, there were too many people in the queue and the cashier let me go without paying. I'm a good citizen and always return my DVD everytime my talking cat with insomniaphobia allows me to leave my room at night.

Good. Same thing happened to me, getting stuck in a string of story-centric events preventing me from returning my rental for 7-10 days. I'm wary of renting DVDs anymore because of this. Seems the best time to do it is when you've finished a dungeon and still have a good amount of time before the deadline.

ramyeon

Very similar thing happened to me!!

"I think you should go to sleep. You're going to be getting lunch tomorrow, after all!" WHAT?

LET ME RETURN MY FUCKING DVDS.

I'm starting to feel similar to him and I'm on 5/19.
5/19 is still really early.

I'm just starting June though and I feel like I've had plenty of free time to do everything I wanted so far.
Not really, it's Hate full that story eat 2 weeks of your life each month, IMO.
So you mean it's exactly the same as P3 and P4?

How dare my linear story driven RPG have story.

I just tried the japanese voices during the
restaurant
scene on 5/5. It's really excellent, Ryuji and Ann do not sound like I thought they would, I really like their voice actors. But I don't want to miss anything so I'll stick with english. Still, it's nice that the option is available. Morgana's meow is defitnitely better in english though!

BiggNife

Well

I had no choice but to execute Arsene in the fusion tutorial because every other fusion was too high level

Am I fucked

ChrisD

Okay my first "big" complaint with the game, and it can be summed up simply:

"Ha! It's almost scary how good I am."

No other lines? :x

What I want to know as well.

Am I just filling up an invisible XP bar, or where there be certain times that are better than others to hang out?

Based on P3 and P4, I'd say it's the invisible XP bar. You're earning points every time you spend time with someone but it might not be enough to strengthen your bond every time. Keep spending time with them and it'll happen eventually.

Hazanko

Banned
This games great. It's my first Persona game so it's been interesting. The only issues I have are some translation issues and I wish they improved AA because there have been some weird edges on objects.

Dierce

I'm at this stage as well and seriously hope it improves soon or I'm putting the controller down and walking away. I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced but so far it has been a disappointment.

Croc

Banned
Is there any way to tell what the items from the shopping channel do before you order them?

in this case:
party in a can
?

Before I begin let me tell you that I never really got into Persona 3 and Persona 4 because the dungeons were boring, fighting felt like a monotonous chore and the social system felt very obtuse to get into.

lurch-head-shake-o.gif

The dungeons are definitely an improvement. But man...now I feel like how P1 and P2 fans feel about people who say Persona started with 3.

yeah, the opening hours of the game are pretty bad. hoping that completing the first dungeon puts an end to this (maybe? :) )...

Oh my god.

Ryuji Social Link Level 8 Spoilers

When Ryuji
asks the track team guys to punch him
and they take him up on it and he acts surprised, I laughed so hard.

"
I think my mouth's bleeding so we'll have to eat some other time"
Ba ha ha ha

jrush64

Banned
Just reached level 11, still grinding hard.... had to change difficulty to easy though. Will change back to normal when I'm done grinding. I feel like if you make a simple mistake during a fight, you pay for it.

Also, once again fuck those life drain assholes!!

Starting this game last night was a huge mistake. I stayed up late and am now sleep deprived. On top of that I'm going to start playing soon and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to stop.

On the other hand this is a GOOD game.

Anyone have any suggestions on the characters, gameplay wise? Best party members for combat, what skills to make sure to keep with them (or just final loadout suggestions), etc.?

Not sure who I want my party to be, because I kind of like all the characters too much, but so far the only guarantee is
Makoto
. Next up I'm pretty sure I want
Yusuke
just because I really like the character design, but I could honestly go either way. Ryuji and Ann I can leave or take and Morgana I definitely don't want to use. That just leaves
the last two characters
which I know nothing about aside from character designs and they are both cool enough that if they were really good, I'd probably throw them in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom