• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 hours in and I love it. Game is delivering on all of its hype.

I hope one of the upcoming bossfights is as weird and subversive as the Shadow Mitsuo fight in P4.

Anyone have any suggestions on the characters, gameplay wise? Best party members for combat, what skills to make sure to keep with them (or just final loadout suggestions), etc.?

Not sure who I want my party to be, because I kind of like all the characters too much, but so far the only guarantee is
Makoto
. Next up I'm pretty sure I want
Yusuke
just because I really like the character design, but I could honestly go either way. Ryuji and Ann I can leave or take and Morgana I definitely don't want to use. That just leaves
the last two characters
which I know nothing about aside from character designs and they are both cool enough that if they were really good, I'd probably throw them in

Just do you. I entered thinking I'd go Teen Girl Squad as I always do, but
Yusuke
's character, VA and story arc put him right into my party. Helps that he hits like a truck too.

ramyeon

Anyone have any suggestions on the characters, gameplay wise? Best party members for combat, what skills to make sure to keep with them (or just final loadout suggestions), etc.?

Not sure who I want my party to be, because I kind of like all the characters too much, but so far the only guarantee is
Makoto
Yusuke
just because I really like the character design, but I could honestly go either way. Ryuji and Ann I can leave or take and Morgana I definitely don't want to use. That just leaves
the last two characters
which I know nothing about aside from character designs and they are both cool enough that if they were really good, I'd probably throw them in
All the characters are viable and useful against different enemies and in different situations.

Mid-ish game mechanic spoilers.
There is a social link that gives you the ability to switch party members on the fly during combat.

Just use who you like and try to alternate to share experience around.

Strimei

I feel like if you make a simple mistake during a fight, you pay for it.

Yup.

I remember very well my first Persona, P3P, and how several times I got a bit too sure of myself, made a mistake, got annihilated, and lost like 3 hours of grinding.

Almost made me snap my PSP in two at one point.

jrush64

Banned
Welcome to SMT.

I got party wiped twice by Jack Frosts last night because I got greedy trying to press for more money during hold ups.

This is not my first persona game. I've finished P3 and P4 multiple times. I forgot how annoying it actually is.

silva1991

Ok what the fuck is wrong with
Mishima
's social link? I haven't seen him in like a month or two.

He isn't in the usual spot :(

I'm on day 9/26 btw.

I'm at this stage as well and seriously hope it improves soon or I'm putting the controller down and walking away. I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced but so far it has been a disappointment.

I just can't fathom having this reaction. You've been looking forward to it but because you don't get to choose what to do every single night you want to walk away? You're about to get months of freedom, and until then you have the story and combat.

It just makes me upset because I saw so many people walk away from 4 for the same reason (or other games like Zelda). I guess Visual Novels are really not for some people.

Try to stick with it yall!

This is not my first persona game. I've finished P3 and P4 multiple times. I forgot how annoying it actually is.

I'm still early game, but so far I'd say Persona 5 is much more akin to a mainline SMT game in difficulty than P3 and P4. I very very rarely ever got wiped by regular shadows in P3, and I played that twice + The Answer. Then again, I'm playing P5 on Hard so maybe that adds to it.

ramyeon

I'm still early game, but so far I'd say Persona 5 is much more akin to a mainline SMT game in difficulty than P3 and P4. I very very rarely ever got wiped by regular shadows in P3, and I played that twice + The Answer. Then again, I'm playing P5 on Hard so maybe that adds to it.
I feel like it's a step up in difficulty from P3 and 4 too. But I don't find those party wipes annoying like the OP - it's almost always my own fault.

Who is Igor?

This man who shows up in Persona 3 and 4 and now here, who's one and only role is to create and nurture heroes, what is his story?

And where does he get all these cute assistants from?

Saprol

Anybody have suggestions for physical dmg progression? Shoved Apt Pupil and Swift Strike onto a Kin-ki. Dunno what kind of weird fusion hijinks I'll need to add Suzaku's Auto-Sukukaja into the mix and still have it land on a STR-oriented Persona

ramyeon

No spoilers please but
does Morgana ever stop telling me to go to sleep? I've just learned about Mementos.
Yes but it depends on whether you're in story events or not. I don't think people realize Morgana is just replacing the forced prompts in 3&4 that told you that you were too tired to do anything that night.

Seems to annoy people more when it's an NPC telling you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is there a "true ending" and is it hard to get? I dont really do multiple playthrough of games, let alone 100 hour games.

Strimei

Who is Igor?

This man who shows up in Persona 3 and 4 and now here, who's one and only role is to create and nurture heroes, what is his story?

He's a supernatural entity that is an assistant of sorts to Philemon. He used to factor in a lot in the early Personas, but he hasn't really made a direct appearance since...

Well. He has, but you just don't know it.

He's the blue butterfly you may have seen the games.

He and the entity (like P2 spoilers here, if you care)
Nyarlathotep
are at odds about humanity and whether they can be good or evil (I'm really boiling it down here, its all Jungian and stuff at its core).

Igor has always been in the Velvet Room since 1, doing what he does, though his role has definitely expanded with times.

The assistants...I don't think its ever quite clarified what they are, but people have noticed how they have the same eerie golden eyes that Shadows have.

ramyeon

Who is Igor?

He's a doll created by Philemon to serve him in the Velvet Room and aid the chosen protagonists since Philemon himself cannot directly intervene.

Makoto
Yusuke
the last two characters

Morgana is the healer of the group so she's always there, my team consist of:
Makoto
Morgana.
Anne.

If you're not into jRPGs I completely understand people's complaints about the intro being very railroaded and not having tons of freedom. Personally, as someone who loves linear games and RPGs, I don't mind all of this. It's almost all storytelling and they spread the tutorial stuff out so it doesn't bug me at all. I play Personas for the stories and characters and such mostly.

I like when you try talking to Justine. "It's me."

I really love how when you back out of menus before they're done saying their line they'll say shit like "How impatient"

It couldn't be any more obvious what this potential second palace guy is doing! For Shame you jerk!!!
This one is going to make me hate him more than the first if I'm right
At the art exhibit

ramyeon

If you're not into jRPGs I completely understand people's complaints about the intro being very railroaded and not having tons of freedom. Personally, as someone who loves linear games and RPGs, I don't mind all of this. It's almost all storytelling and they spread the tutorial stuff out so it doesn't bug me at all. I play Personas for the stories and characters and such mostly.
This feels so refreshing to me after a string of open world games recently.

ShadyK54

I just can't fathom having this reaction. You've been looking forward to it but because you don't get to choose what to do every single night you want to walk away? You're about to get months of freedom, and until then you have the story and combat.

It just makes me upset because I saw so many people walk away from 4 for the same reason (or other games like Zelda). I guess Visual Novels are really not for some people.

Try to stick with it yall!

Yeah, I'm baffled as well. Maybe it's because I expect my love of 4 to be universal amongst other players or something.

That said, if I was a new player (like I was with 4), I wouldn't feel like things were handholdy. Guess it's a testament to how much I'm really digging the characters, story, etc.

For those who are struggling with SP.

What I did is just use my HP based skill like sledgehammer or lunge for normal enemies and go all out on SP when fighting boss.

My screen seems zoomed in and I haven't a clue how to fix it. I don't see anything in game to change, the Screen Adjust within the PS4 doesn't seem to make a difference, and there's no zoom in or out on my TV, just V or H shifting.

He's a supernatural entity that is an assistant of sorts to Philemon. He used to factor in a lot in the early Personas, but he hasn't really made a direct appearance since...

Well. He has, but you just don't know it.

He's the blue butterfly you may have seen the games.

He and the entity (like P2 spoilers here, if you care)
Nyarlathotep
are at odds about humanity and whether they can be good or evil (I'm really boiling it down here, its all Jungian and stuff at its core).

Igor has always been in the Velvet Room since 1, doing what he does, though his role has definitely expanded with times.

The assistants...I don't think its ever quite clarified what they are, but people have noticed how they have the same eerie golden eyes that Shadows have.

He's a doll created by Philemon to serve him in the Velvet Room and aid the chosen protagonists since Philemon himself cannot directly intervene.

Man that's a whole other lore I have no knowledge of.

So perhaps the whole Persona series might be an eternal back and forth chess game sort of like the Ellimist and Crayak from the Animorph series?

Weiss

Banned
Where the hell is Ann during the day? She's not in class and after raising her Link to Rank 2 she's not at the mall either.

Alchemist

Yes but it depends on whether you're in story events or not. I don't think people realize Morgana is just replacing the forced prompts in 3&4 that told you that you were too tired to do anything that night.

Seems to annoy people more when it's an NPC telling you.

This is my first Persona game.

The days feel short imo. You barely have time for activities before it's time to sleep. I'm enjoying the game, I just wish time didn't move forward so quickly.

I always left Morgana out of the party, and would use him as a heal monkey through the Skills menu.

That also made for one less person I had to buy equipment for.

Ahh I see, it gets to a point where you have a good money and you can buy everything for the team. Now, a certain SL will allow you to
switch characters on the fly
that's where I switch around Anne and such.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey when are you supposed to get the Healing Items that comes as part of the healing item dlc? Never seem to have got them and soing the first palace currently. Downloaded it at the same time as jp voices and Izanagi dlc and those seem to work, but can't figure out how to get the items

This feels so refreshing to me after a string of open world games recently.

Yeah, I'm baffled as well. Maybe it's because I expect my love of 4 to be universal amongst other players or something.

That said, if I was a new player (like I was with 4), I wouldn't feel like things were handholdy. Guess it's a testament to how much I'm really digging the characters, story, etc.

Yeah this is me as well. But I guess I have to realize I'm out of touch in this regard because one of my favorite games I played last year was Steins;Gate lol.

That said I think when a game reviews this well and is obviously such a high quality title that if you were excited for it or liked the moments of action and choice early on then you have to give it the benefit of the doubt and, dare I say,

hztcnioeanhhk0hpny2r.gif

Am I the only one who didn't fuse Arsene during the tutorial? I had like, 5 Personas in my party by then

I had just enough to keep Arsene. Just got rid of him though so I could advance a confidant.

ramyeon

Man that's a whole other lore I have no knowledge of.

So perhaps the whole Persona series might be an eternal back and forth chess game sort of like the Ellimist and Crayak from the Animorph series?
Never read Animorphs but it sounds about right. This stuff was more explicit in 1&2 and has been toned down in 3&4 except references.

Philemon and Nyarlathotep are basically having a bet as to whether humans can overcome their primal nature and become enlightened or whether they're doomed to ruin. Philemon believes the former and tries to help them along by granting the ability to unlock Personas and Nyarlathotep wants to destroy them and can actually directly intervene and is responsible for the Shadow Selves in the original games.

Shouta

Hey when are you supposed to get the Healing Items that comes as part of the healing item dlc? Never seem to have got them and soing the first palace currently. Downloaded it at the same time as jp voices and Izanagi dlc and those seem to work, but can't figure out how to get the items

Check the cardboard box near the stairs in your room.

Cardboard box in your room.

This is my first Persona game.

The days feel short imo. You barely have time for activities before it's time to sleep. I'm enjoying the game, I just wish time didn't move forward so quickly.
You made coffee,time to sleep. Lol the coffee should be a perk to let me stay up longer let me study some more

Xeteh

I've got Takemi's link up pretty high and when I saw that she gives a discount that it wouldn't apply to the accessories but it totally does. Right on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom