• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well , I bought into the hype and picked this up today. I'm close to 2 hours in and it feels like I've accomplished little to nothing ... so I suppose I can see why it takes 100 + hours to get through the whole shebang. I haven't played a Persona title since the second one either.

I can say this much though- the maps are kind of confusing to navigate so far but I imagine it'll get better with time. As well, I'm not sure what to make of the translation, the actors seem fairly competent and it's at least on par with a modern day anime dub but.... the over pronouncement of Japanese names and leaving in the suffixes (san,kun,chan,etc) is ... just a little odd. Basically, those complaints I've read about this being too literal a translation and not enough of a localization are 100% true so far. If I was just reading it with the Japanese voices I don't think I'd mind so much ... so I may end up switching it over. It just feels like a shame because the english voice over cast is generally pretty good so far.

So a very simple question that I'll put in spoiler tags for the hell of it , concerning very early game stuff -
I've only played as far as "after school on monday" and I'm about to go meet sakamoto on the roof , does the persona recruitment stuff get a brief tutorial that just shows up later on or should I have been able to do that in the afternoon training dungeon ?

All in all , I'm liking what I've seen so far. It sure takes it's time to get going though.

after 5-6 hours you should be pretty much done with tutorials, but yes you are locked out of a lot of stuff until tutorial demonstrates it

Jiraiza

Hmm, end of the first dungeon:

Anyone find it kind of crappy Ryuji didn't get a special mention from Kamoshida in his confession? It ended up revolving around Ann more than it did him, even though he was seemingly the bigger victim out of all this; he got a fucked up leg and kicked out of the track team and everyone in the school hates him.

Just finished that part, so maybe there's more to it?

Just quoting myself for visibility for thoughts on this. Hoping there's more to Ryuji's arc than just this first one. Ryuji's pretty much a real bro if the story decides to treat him that way by leaving it at that, though. Hard to hate as some people seem to do around here.

On another note, 5/5:

Shitty adults. Shitty adults everywhere.

ramyeon

Well , I bought into the hype and picked this up today. I'm close to 2 hours in and it feels like I've accomplished little to nothing ... so I suppose I can see why it takes 100 + hours to get through the whole shebang. I haven't played a Persona title since the second one either.

I can say this much though- the maps are kind of confusing to navigate so far but I imagine it'll get better with time. As well, I'm not sure what to make of the translation, the actors seem fairly competent and it's at least on par with a modern day anime dub but.... the over pronouncement of Japanese names and leaving in the suffixes (san,kun,chan,etc) is ... just a little odd. Basically, those complaints I've read about this being too literal a translation and not enough of a localization are 100% true so far. If I was just reading it with the Japanese voices I don't think I'd mind so much ... so I may end up switching it over. It just feels like a shame because the english voice over cast is generally pretty good so far.

So a very simple question that I'll put in spoiler tags for the hell of it , concerning very early game stuff -
I've only played as far as "after school on monday" and I'm about to go meet sakamoto on the roof , does the persona recruitment stuff get a brief tutorial that just shows up later on or should I have been able to do that in the afternoon training dungeon ?

All in all , I'm liking what I've seen so far. It sure takes it's time to get going though.
Just keep playing, they gradually introduce mechanics.

Totakeke

I just want to say the higher tier spell effects are freaking amazing. I'm still mixed on the introduction of Psy(chic/chadelic?) and Nuclear elements, but the high tier Psy spells are mesmerizing. I really hope they update this engine because the SMT on unreal engine looks uninspired in comparison.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Someone needs to explain to me how Persona XP works. I have a Persona who needs 1161 XP to level up at Level 10. I do one fight in Mementos that gives 850XP and he levels up to Level 12. Retried that twice, and he still gets 2 levels up despite 850XP not even covering for ONE level.

Wut?

6/19 Spoilers

Jesus Christ
Niijima
you absolute fucking see you en tee

Someone needs to explain to me how Persona XP works. I have a Persona who needs 1161 XP to level up at Level 10. I do one fight in Mementos that gives 850XP and he levels up to Level 12. Retried that twice, and he still gets 2 levels up despite 850XP not even covering for ONE level.

Wut?

XP scales with level. What it shows is what you, the MC, earns. As for other characters or your Persona they'll gain more if they are lower leveled or less if higher leveled.

Opa-Pa

Jesus Christ, the second dungeon boss is absolutely brutal on Hard. The fight is so creative and tense tho, I can't complain! Let's try a second time...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
6/19 Spoilers

XP scales with level. What it shows is what you, the MC, earns. As for other characters or your Persona they'll gain more if they are lower leveled or less if higher leveled.

Ahhh didn't know about that. That's good to know.

ramyeon

Wut?
XP shown on results screen is the MC's. Everyone else including party members and Persona get different amounts depending on their level relative to the enemies.

Edit: Beaten!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Finally got the treasure and left the dungeon. I spent the whole day, like 4 hours just grinding from level 6 to 13.

This game is really difficult and it's definitely ruining the experience for me. I had to switch difficulty to easy. It's not casual friendly at all. I guess there's safe mode... I might just switch to that so I can enjoy everything else about the game.

Do what ya got to do to enjoy the game, is what I say. Hell, are there any trophies actually tied to difficulty?

This game is amazing this far like I thought. My GOTY so far. The battles are so fucking quick now. You memorize all the moves and positions of the battle system and everything is so smooth.

My only criticism so far is that party members, especially Morgana seem to spam battle lines after enemies are downed.

Playing through with no guide and taking my time with this. English Dub is Top-Tier and the localization seems fine. Going all SL, Merciless, and Japanese Sub for my NG+.

Finally got to play a bit of it today and man its great, had a big grinnon my face for like the first half hour. Played for a bout 3.5hrs, stopped playing during the volleyball festival or whatever, where you first talk to ann.

Wow, holy shit, they actually said fuck. I thought they were avoiding it specifically but I guess it's just an affectation from Ryuji. Or maybe they only have a limited number of fucks to give.

Jesus Christ, the second dungeon boss is absolutely brutal on Hard. The fight is so creative and tense tho, I can't complain! Let's try a second time...
It felt like a damage race when I tried it the first time. Yusuke's physical skills are surprisingly powerful.

I'm only mid-May (around 5/15 I think?) and I'm already feeling overwhelmed like I'm making bad decisions because I have so many choices. I know all Personas are like that but man I thought I had a handle on it...I've spent a lot of time on Knowledge and I still haven't ranked that up to 2. :( Guts and Proficiency are 2 but now I need Kindness at 2! Argh!

I'm having a blast, though. Definitely worth all the sleep I'm losing.

Also for a party member, Ryuji seems better than Yosuke and Junpei.

[Beginning Ryuji SL/First Dungeon + Slight P3/P4 Spoilers]
Only on Rank 2, but Ryuji's justification for getting his Persona is so much more understandable and relateable than 'I HATE THE COUNTRYSIDE' Yosuke and 'HI I'M YOUR BRO BECAUSE AND I'M JUST SO JELLY' Junpei. Though I actually like Junpei. Like fuck man, standing up to an asshole and getting baited to fighting him after getting beat is... Damn. Also kinda relate for me personally. And teens blame each other than asshole adults in my experience so it makes sense.

Just got to 6

Ryuji
you fuckin idiot!!!
I knew he'd the reason they get initially caught!!! Dude cannot shut up about themselves!!!

ramyeon

Also for a party member, Ryuji seems better than Yosuke and Junpei.

[Beginning Ryuji SL/First Dungeon + Slight P3/P4 Spoilers]
Only on Rank 2, but Ryuji's justification for getting his Persona is so much more understandable and relateable than 'I HATE THE COUNTRYSIDE' Yosuke and 'HI I'M YOUR BRO BECAUSE AND I'M JUST SO JELLY' Junpei. Though I actually like Junpei. Like fuck man, standing up to an asshole and getting baited to fighting him after getting beat is... Damn. Also kinda relate for me personally. And teens blame each other than asshole adults in my experience so it makes sense.
To be fair you have really simplified Yosuke and Junpei's issues there. They're not that bad.

jrush64

Banned
Do what ya got to do to enjoy the game, is what I say. Hell, are there any trophies actually tied to difficulty?

I dont know if there are any trophies, but I really dont care about trophies. I agree with you... I like a challenge but not at this rate. I'm exhausted already.

Astral

Are there ways to get some points with your confidants outside of the actual social link like there was in P4? Stuff like having dreams about them or other activities. My bond with Ryuji isn't gonna increase and I'd rather do something else if that's the case.

DJ_Lae

Loving the game so far - 5/18 now and ~14 odd hours in. I feel like I haven't done much, but I'm totally into the world and the characters. It feels good to be back into a Persona game, though it feels like characters are being trickled out really slowly.

Are there ways to get some points with your confidants outside of the actual social link like there was in P4? Stuff like having dreams about them or other activities. My bond with Ryuji isn't gonna increase and I'd rather do something else if that's the case.

I think I got some points with Ryuji when I studied with him, but it seemed to be a fixed event in that time slot so I dunno if it shows up elsewhere.

raveking

Banned
Guys I'm confused about something...I'm at the beginning still where
Shiho atttempts to commit suicide, was it ever implied that it was because Kamoshida raped her? Or that he tried to

To be fair you have really simplified Yosuke and Junpei's issues there. They're not that bad.
Yeah I am, lol. But both of their hooks are pretty weak IMO, and these games have to make you as a player care enough to go through their SL. I did like Junpei in the end tho. He was a bro to me. Yosuke did grow on me too.
Ryuji SL Rank 2 Spoilers:
It was unexpected and hit me in a way I didn't expect it too. Like, fuck man, a teacher broke his fucking leg?? And he was the star of the track team. Made me really sympathize with him and made me want to hang out with him to learn more about him.

ramyeon

Yeah I am, lol. But both of their hooks are pretty weak IMO, and these games have to make you as a player care enough to go through their SL. I did like Junpei in the end. He was a bro to me.
Ryuji SL Spoilers:
It was unexpected and hit me in a way I didn't expect it too. Like, fuck man, a teacher broke his fucking leg?? And he was the star of the track team. Made me really sympathize with him and made me want to hang out with him to learn more about him.
I mean in Yosuke's case
he was feeling torn because someone he cared about had been murdered but somewhere deep inside him were feelings of excitement because something interesting was finally happening in his life. This caused him to feel guilty and reject that side of his personality, causing the shadow to gain strength.

Justine and Caroline's English vocal performances really make me never want to fuse Personas. Like nails on chalkboard. Did they actually think their grating banter would be pleasant to listen to every time you select an option?

At least thank gods the P3 days of moving between menus to get the perfect fusion skills are over.

Justine and Caroline's English vocal performances really make me never want to fuse Personas. Like nails on chalkboard. Did they actually think their grating banter would be pleasant to listen to every time you select an option?

At least thank gods the P3 days of moving between menus to get the perfect fusion skills are over.

Know your place inmate!!

Frimaire

Hey! I actually find it kinda funny how Caroline is just mad doggin' you the whole time you're in the Velvet Room.

Mr. F

Banned
So total series newbie, and just making my way through the first dungeon so bear with me. Got to the point where it introduces the interrogation mechanic and I'm already kind of feeling in over my head.

Should I want to interrogate/collect as many personas as possible? I've got three so far and even switching between them and figuring out who to attack with what feels a bit overwhelming - I can only imagine how it goes once that list expands.

I ask because the tutorial note seemed to stress that weighing the decision whether to finish off or interrogate downed enemies is critical which has me a bit freaked out.

Hylian7

So funny story, I'm not incredibly far in, I'm on 4/18 I think? I forget exactly.

My fiance knows little to none about SMT or Persona, and has watched me play this a bit. When there was a part where it flashed forward to Soe, she had an interesting theory based on what she had seen so far (potential spoilers depending on if this is true or not, please don't tell me if it is or not):
She thinks Soe is the human form of Morgana, since Morgana was talking about investigations all the time. I never thought of that until she brought it up, but it would make sense given the rather mysterious nature of Soe, and that they both talk about investigations all the time.

Were people complaining about Makoto's voice acting? I'm...not seeing it. I think she's fine, especially
when she gets her Persona

Socivol

I like Caroline's voice she is very rude. Justine is just uninspired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom