• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XaosWolf

Beginning the memntos and holy shit,
the cat bus and them subsequently getting inside it
are so good.

It was really late when I saw that. Hadn't seen it in the trailers and I was like

giphy.gif

Them all getting in the back, the awkward silence and then the conversation that follow made me actually laugh out loud though.

nOoblet16

It should be illegal to have a victory celebration this long, requiring this many button presses in a 2017 game. All those things could have been displayed on one screen at once.

JJShadow

OK I'm getting destroyed by the boss on the 1st Dungeon. Any tips? I only have 3 days to go but it did say I could go back a week. Just not sure if I'm missing something. My best heal only gives me 50hp so I can't recover quickly enough.

What level are you now? Level 10-ish should be fine to take it down (Normal difficulty). Be sure to take advantage of buffs/debuffs skills, they can make quite a difference. Also, guard everytime he's about to use his special attack (he warns you a turn before). Other than that it's not that difficult, if you decide to send someone to steal the Treasure make sure you still have one party member exclusively for healing purposes

I feel like I'm just punishing myself by taking in the dungeon 1 boss at Lv10. The Lv11 skills would have ALL been great for this. I'm on my fourth try now.

Edit:
Finally managed to steal the crown and win hard. Hoo boy

What level are you now? Level 10-ish should be fine to take it down (Normal difficulty). Be sure to take advantage of buffs/debuffs skills, they can make quite a difference. Also, guard everytime he's about to use his special attack (he warns you a turn before). Other than that it's not that difficult, if you decide to send someone to steal the Treasure make sure you still have one party member exclusively for healing purposes

I'm level 10. Been using the guard but yea I haven't had someone being used purely as a healer. Will try again but I couldn't find any weaknesses. Cheers.

This Persona is more Shin Megami Tensei than the previous two games. I'm really enjoying it.

I love fighting against the demons, and negotiating with them. I love having one extra turn, just like the "Smirk" mechanic in SMT IV. I love being able to choose the movements of my partners, instead of letting the game do it automatically for me.

I have everyone set to use AI tactics, Persona 3 style. It just makes it feel more like I'm playing with a real party. The AI seems much-improved since P3 and they generally do some pretty smart stuff. They'll use guns to knock flying enemies down, and exploit weaknesses, and try to set the enemies up for an all-out attack.

Jiraiza

It was really late when I saw that. Hadn't seen it in the trailers and I was like

Them all getting in the back, the awkward silence and then the conversation that follow made me actually laugh out loud though.

And here I thought the Scooby Doo gang was all but a thing of the past. They're back, but just in the form of Phantom Thieves instead!

Venfayth

Alright, I'm past 7/7.

Gonna have to stop leaving my impressions now unless my posts get DMCA'd, can't get any more strikes on my internet account.

Dragner

I'm level 10. Been using the guard but yea I haven't had someone being used purely as a healer. Will try again but I couldn't find any weaknesses. Cheers.
I did it yesterday at level 10 too.
Morgana was on healing duty all the time,MC would debuff the attack and poke him when needed and Ann would do assist heal attack. You can just concentrate on surviving (shouldnt be hard guarding) and send Ryuji to knock the crown. Once is down your attacks will do massive damage and he will die in one turn.
I wasnt close to dying. And remember to take down the chalice asap.

aravuus

I have everyone set to use AI tactics, Persona 3 style. It just makes it feel more like I'm playing with a real party. The AI seems much-improved since P3 and they generally do some pretty smart stuff. They'll use guns to knock flying enemies down, and exploit weaknesses, and try to set the enemies up for an all-out attack.

I might do this too now that I've got the SP regen accessories and resource management isn't nearly as big a problem as it was before. I've always enjoyed playing party-based RPGs like that, only controlling the main character.

I feels more like I'm the MC, going around doing all these tasks and killing demons and whatnot with my friends, rather than that I'm this weird god-like being who gets to occasionally control multiple puppets rather than just one. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

This is also why I wish more CRPGs had gambit systems or at least robust party AI, not just your generic auto-attack stuff with maybe an occasional spell.

Hold triangle

Fuck outta here lmao. Does it say this anywhere or did you just figure this out yourself?

Ostinatto

Found a decent spot for farming in the second dungeon.

the red glowing group of Onmoraki right before the central garden, if you've got any Personas with Snap you can knock them all down for an all out attack without using any sp. About 150 exp and over 1k cash at a time.

Doesn;t work for me, if you miss once you are fucked xD

Jb

Ohya's Japanese VA is fantastic. So far all the confidants I've come across seem to have a really interesting character arc. Plus some of the bonus you get when reaching certain ranks are really useful.

aravuus

Is hoping for a confuse skill that targets all enemies too much? Where's my MAPULINPA?!

Speaking of confuse, if an enemy is immune to it, does the game say immune or resist or something? I keep missing with it every time I do try it, and I wonder if it's an actual miss or if the enemy is just immune to it

Venfayth

7/18

Ryuji says Yusuke looks way too normal in a yukata, and he goes all deadpan: "People often say that to me."

No idea why but this cracked me up.

This game has some great moments.

Chaos17

Be sure to be properly equipped with good armors too. Otherwise follow what the others advised and it will be a piece of cake unless you're playing on hard.

Will have to remember the triangle trick on the battle results!

I'm about to enter the second palace, I think I'm around 12 hours in :) Maybe.

Has it just been a long time since I played Persona 3 and 4, or is this game even slower and more overbearing than those?

I'm halfway through the second Palace, so spoilers for anything up to there.

The amount of days some of the storytelling takes place over is ridiculous. Nearly the entire first half of May is a total wash because of the game forcing you to spend your days in exposition scenes and going to bed early because Reasons. I missed a DVD return because of this - hilariously, the game even acknowledged that there was no way I could have returned it and waived the fee because of "extraneous circumstances." That's dumb as hell.

I get that 3 and 4 were also like this, but it feels so much worse this time. I don't know if it's because there really is more hand-holding, or if things have just changed for me since I last played those games, but it's just dull to be dragged from scene to scene without being able to do anything, especially when the cutscenes themselves often feel like they're drip-feeding you information that could easily be condensed into tighter scenes, or at least scenes that don't eat up all of your after school time. The game is balanced around this I'm sure, yadda yadda, but it still sucks.

It's weird because the game even has a faster, better way to info-dump with the texting system. It just feels frustrating being nearly 20 hours into this thing and still mostly unable to, you know, play Persona without being railroaded constantly.

Again, yeah, sure, the series has always been like this to some degree. But I'm definitely feeling irritated by it in a way I never was previously. It's so glacially paced.

The story is pretty bold and I like the characters for the most part, and the aesthetic is of course fantastic. But man.

Opa-Pa

Persona 5 |OT2| Just hold down the damn PS buttom, Inmate.

This Persona is more Shin Megami Tensei than the previous two games. I'm really enjoying it.

I love fighting against the demons, and negotiating with them. I love having one extra turn, just like the "Smirk" mechanic in SMT IV. I love being able to choose the movements of my partners, instead of letting the game do it automatically for me. I love the static dungeons, and how variate they are. And the party does not get tired from the beginning (by now)

The game is easier than any mainline SMT game, but more difficult than previous Persona games. I have died twice, and both because of overconfidence and not paying attention.

I'm enjoying this game so much!!

No joke, I was thinking the same just now, it's gotten to the point that I'm wondering if they deliberately went back to their routes to help future mainline SMT titles gain popularity due to the similarities.

I actually find this harder than SMTIV though, and perhaps on par with Apocalypse (all these on hard anyway). IV is a joke if you have a decent build and know how to fuse, but P5 doesn't seem as easy to break, and can be just as punishing... Not to mention there's actual difficulty in dungeons without the garbage save everywhere.

It's funny, I remember worrying about gameplay depth in this game because P3 and 4 are pretty barebones compared to other Megaten games from the same era, but combat in 5 is wonderful. I think I still prefer Apocalypse's, but seeing gameplay as a whole I think I like P5 better, there's this great synergy between the systems that makes it extremely fun.

TrueBlue

Has it just been a long time since I played Persona 3 and 4, or is this game even slower and more overbearing than those?

I'm halfway through the second Palace, so spoilers for anything up to there.

The amount of days some of the storytelling takes place over is ridiculous. Nearly the entire first half of May is a total wash because of the game forcing you to spend your days in exposition scenes and going to bed early because Reasons. I missed a DVD return because of this - hilariously, the game even acknowledged that there was no way I could have returned it and waived the fee because of "extraneous circumstances." That's dumb as hell.

I get that 3 and 4 were also like this, but it feels so much worse this time. I don't know if it's because there really is more hand-holding, or if things have just changed for me since I last played those games, but it's just dull to be dragged from scene to scene without being able to do anything, especially when the cutscenes themselves often feel like they're drip-feeding you information that could easily be condensed into tighter scenes, or at least scenes that don't eat up all of your after school time. The game is balanced around this I'm sure, yadda yadda, but it still sucks.

It's weird because the game even has a faster, better way to info-dump with the texting system. It just feels frustrating being nearly 20 hours into this thing and still mostly unable to, you know, play Persona without being railroaded constantly.

Again, yeah, sure, the series has always been like this to some degree. But I'm definitely feeling irritated by it in a way I never was previously. It's so glacially paced.

The story is pretty bold and I like the characters for the most part, and the aesthetic is of course fantastic. But man.

This is my only real issue so far.

It's so frustrating having Morgana constantly tell me to go to bed if I dare try to do something at night. I hope the game loosens up a little further on.

Finished the second dungeon myself. Spoilers ahead:

Man, I didn't think it'd be possible to match Kamoshida's scumbaggery, but Madarame came exceedingly close. I like how the darkest moments are saved for the villains, makes them a lot more satisfying to beat.

Venfayth

Hmm, I think it's definitely a little bit more restrictive and maybe slightly slower paced, but I don't think it's anything majorly different.

It's best to finish dungeons ASAP because the time you have during the "X days left" phase is where you're the most free.

I did it yesterday at level 10 too.
Morgana was on healing duty all the time,MC would debuff the attack and poke him when needed and Ann would do assist heal attack. You can just concentrate on surviving (shouldnt be hard guarding) and send Ryuji to knock the crown. Once is down your attacks will do massive damage and he will die in one turn.
I wasnt close to dying. And remember to take down the chalice asap.

That's great. Cheers

Be sure to be properly equipped with good armors too. Otherwise follow what the others advised and it will be a piece of cake unless you're playing on hard

Ta very much. Didn't think about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom