• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

Listening to the Jim Sterling podcast here, they're defending the review.

If Laura thought it was an 8.5 game then that's fine. She's saying it's a great JRPG but it didn't do much new etc and again that's fine. But complaining about it not being handheld was and still is just such a stupid argument. It makes no fucking sense at all. You could apply that to any console game ever and dock it points.

I think it doesn't do anything previous games haven't done yet (~20 hours in). There's an easy to recognize formula they used. It just feels more natural with its execution.

The next persona game will be interesting. I hope they make something totally different. There is one thing I want them to keep and that is the color theme.

Zafir

It's a discussion point. I do not care one bit about the score number, or the meta score, or any of that.
I'm not sure it's a discussion point of you're flat out stating it's stupid decision and you shouldn't dock points for it. It's not a discussion if you already made up your mind.

People can dock points for whatever they want. It's their review.

I say that as someone who is glad it's not portable. I don't really use portables generally.

MSMrRound

Do other party members always automatically take a turn or is it just the first dungeon where you're learning stuff?

When it's the protagonist's turn, press L1 and change Morgana/Ryuji to "Direct Command". They are auto attacking cuz they are set to "Ace Freely" when you first get them

Question to people that are playing on hard: How much days did you take to clear the first Palace (after you're free to select when you enter it)? I think I'll be able to do that on my third day, but it was basically impossible for me to do that in 1 or 2 days. I had basically no SP with the entire team when I decided to return, and I'm not grinding, just fighting whatever appears in front of me.

And as a side note, it was funny to (mid 1st palace spoiler)
fight the Angel mini-boss and get OHKO in the first turn, even guarding. He just killed the MC with a Cleave

yea, sp will be an issue. it probably took 3 or 4 days for me. next palace is smoother imo but i haven't finished it yet.

Audioboxer

Easy might be a bit easy. I know the irony there, but I mostly wanted the 1st playthrough with a focus on enjoying the story. Managed the first dungeon in 2 days. In saying that I did die once near the end of day 1 as those enemies which fear/confuse you are annoying. 4 at once, my own party kills itself :p

Boss was cake on 2nd-day visit.

The story is picking up a bit and open world navigation is in play now, but damn this was one hell of a linear start. Even although P4 is as well, P5 to me is a bit disjointed and slow at introducing multiple main characters. The guy who owns the place you stay is one hell of a weak character so far (for example of slow introductions/meh writing early on).

AzureFlame

ending spoiler

just got the true ending,..this is soo damn satisfying, im really glad that Morgana is alive.

also platinum trophy soon will be mine.

Ryan_

So I'm following the gamefaq guide but somehow I messed up Ryuji's storyline which resulted in being 2 confidant ranks behind the schedule (25th of May). How screwed am I if I still aim to complete all confidants in one playthrough?

also platinum trophy soon will be mine.

Good luck on your Platinum trophy!

I'm also interested in getting it in the long run -- would you say there's going to be any super precise pathways through the game to obtain it, or can it be achieved by players just playing the game their own way? Like, are there "missable" requirements based on choices?

Not really prying for specific spoilers, just a general gauge of the player choice specifics involved in eventually getting it...

suracity

So I'm following the gamefaq guide but somehow I messed up Ryuji's storyline which resulted in being 2 confidant ranks behind the schedule (25th of May). How screwed am I if I still aim to complete all confidants in one playthrough?

Someone mentioned he went in blindly and maxed out all confidants and traits in the first play through and still have 2 weeks of free time.
I think you will be fine.

suracity

I'm also interested in getting it in the long run -- would you say there's going to be any super precise pathways through the game to obtain it, or can it be achieved by players just playing the game their own way? Like, are there "missable" requirements based on choices?

Not really prying for specific spoilers, just a general gauge of the player choice specifics involved in eventually getting it...

Platinum is not achievable on a single play through anyway. And once you begin NG+ platinum will be easy. I recommend everyone just proceeds at their own speed.

BBboy20

Lol so you can get something worth while in one of the locked chests in the first palace. Probably should still save scum it through.

AzureFlame

You can't get platinum on your first playthrough, but if you did very well (getting all the missbales) on your 1st it will make your 2nd playthrough way shorter to get the platinum.

Damn seems like I'm really taking my time with this game compared to the avarage player. I'm 40 hours in and only just at 6/7 lol. Does this game add your time to your save when you choose to try again from the last safe room or something? I'm playing on hard and had a few game overs that caused me to lose some time so maybe that's why. Or maybe it's because I go out of my way to talk to every NPC when they have something new to say :p

MTC100

Banned
Listening to the Jim Sterling podcast here, they're defending the review.

If Laura thought it was an 8.5 game then that's fine. She's saying it's a great JRPG but it didn't do much new etc and again that's fine. But complaining about it not being handheld was and still is just such a stupid argument. It makes no fucking sense at all. You could apply that to any console game ever and dock it points.

The handheld argument is beyond stupid in my opinion. Only because two out of 4 Persona titles so far got a handheld remake/reboot, doesn't mean Persona is a handheld series or fits better on a handheld. Sure Persona 5 would be amazing for something like the Switch but that doesn't make the game worse on the PS3/PS4. You can't use handhelds outside with sunlight anyway so I'd rather play the games on a big screen.

Also, isn't there something called remoteplay for the PS Vita?

Weiss

Banned
Okay guys I really need help with Ann and Yusuke's Confidant links. I can never find them and when I do they bug me to go to dungeons. I won't max them out at this rate.

MTC100

Banned
That's not a Persona :p

Also yes, looks fairly good for on PS3.

Oh, no it isn't ^^ -and yeah it's quite okay, the artworks look gorgeous even in 720p.

Damn seems like I'm really taking my time with this game compared to the avarage player. I'm 40 hours in and only just at 6/7 lol. Does this game add your time to your save when you choose to try again from the last safe room or something? I'm playing on hard and had a few game overs that caused me to lose some time so maybe that's why. Or maybe it's because I go out of my way to talk to every NPC when they have something new to say :p

Don't worry, just play at your own pace, I'm 20h in and just started the second dungeon, I don't think it will take me another 20 to reach your date but I guess 10h at least.

rugioh

Banned
No wonder I was struggling to get to the treasure in Palace 1 in one day, I didn't know how to flee from battles. Its under the 'Orders' menu. That made me burn through basically every fight even when I got ambushes. Imma start abusing that when I need to in the future.

MSMrRound

Okay guys I really need help with Ann and Yusuke's Confidant links. I can never find them and when I do they bug me to go to dungeons. I won't max them out at this rate.

Ann is at the underground shopping mall while Yusuke hangs out at the underground station (around the area where you pick up your part time jobs).

If they kept on nagging you about dungeons and stuff...are you in the middle of finishing off a story arc? If so try to finish it and they should be more eager about hanging out.

Delio

Man Ryuji is such a loud mouth. ( Getting ready for the third dungeon). On another note I wish i could romance Nishima. He's such a fanboy that it's kinda cute.

Vire

I like the game so far but holy shit is it slow paced. I feel like there's a lot of repetition on some of the story beats. I get it, Kamoshida is a bad guy.

LiK

Morgana's VA is wonderful. Adds to much to the character.

Man, the English dub gets better and better. Some scenes are so freakin' hilarious with the way they said their lines. This is even better than P4G's English dub and I loved that dub.

Is this game worth picking up a used ps3 off eBay for? Total cost of game and system would probably be ~$150. Persona 4 golden is one of my favorite games of all time.

Also if I did get a ps3 what other games would you recommend? Besides demons souls.

Weiss

Banned
Ann is at the underground shopping mall while Yusuke hangs out at the underground station (around the area where you pick up your part time jobs).

If they kept on nagging you about dungeons and stuff...are you in the middle of finishing off a story arc? If so try to finish it and they should be more eager about hanging out.

Even when I finished the second dungeon Ann was never at the mall or at the school.

LiK

Is this game worth picking up a used ps3 off eBay for? Total cost of game and system would probably be ~$150. Persona 4 golden is one of my favorite games of all time.

Also if I did get a ps3 what other games would you recommend? Besides demons souls.

Buy all the Yakuza PS3 games.

Renmyra

Morgana's VA is wonderful. Adds to much to the character.

Man, the English dub gets better and better. Some scenes are so freakin' hilarious with the way they said their lines. This is even better than P4G's English dub and I loved that dub.

Morgana is 10x better than every Tales mascot.

Gonna have to agree about Morgana, he's a mascot character done right which is rare.The voice actress is great she did a great job in XCX and she does a great job here. I can tell she enjoyed playing the character and it helps the overall dub a lot, honestly the whole dub and cast has been really good so far.

MSMrRound

Even when I finished the second dungeon Ann was never at the mall or at the school.

Have you started her co-operation already? You need a basic Kindness level of 2 at the very least. As for her location, when I'm talking about the mall, I'm referring to (Underground Station Mall) the underground shopping area right next to the subway station, not the shopping areas that's located aboveground.

If not, on the fast travel map that you can bring up by pressing R1, you can press Square to see where are the social links and whether they are ready for their next rank up.

Cronen

Has anyone played the game via Remote Play on a Vita? I am wondering if it'll be a good idea when my girlfriend wants to watch TV. If so, did it play ok?

Also, on a different note: the only other Persona game I have played is P4G. Is P3P on the Vita a good version/way to play that version of Persona 3?

aravuus

If not, on the fast travel map that you can bring up by pressing R1, you can press Square to see where are the social links and whether they are ready for their next rank up.

Man what the hell, someone else talked about this earlier too but square does nothing for me? Are there other map screens in addition to the one you get when you press R1 once?

LiK

Gonna have to agree about Morgana, he's a mascot character done right which is rare.The voice actress is great she did a great job in XCX and she does a great job here. I can tell she enjoyed playing the character and it helps the overall dub a lot, honestly the whole dub and cast has been really good so far.

One of the VAs started out with DanganRonpa as one of my fave characters when she was relatively unknown before getting anime gigs. Now she's in Persona 5. Such great exposure for her.

Renmyra

Man what the hell, someone else talked about this earlier too but square does nothing for me? Are there other map screens from the one you get when you press R1 once?

Doesn't do anything for me either. I played around with it a bit too.

5/17 spoilers
Well, that whole scene was weird. I'm already pretty frustrated that the game has taken all control away from me for like a week (I have a dvd to return dammit!) and that conversation about Ann
having to pose nude
made no sense at all. And I imagine that the young artist is going to join my group eventually? I don't know that I'll ever be able to like him considering he basically
blackmailed Ann into posing for him

Game is great so far but the build-up to that second dungeon has been kind of a let-down.

Yu Narukami

Man what the hell, someone else talked about this earlier too but square does nothing for me? Are there other map screens from the one you get when you press R1 once?
Press R1 select Shibuya station for instance and then press square and the menu appears.

LiK

5/17 spoilers
Well, that whole scene was weird. I'm already pretty frustrated that the game has taken all control away from me for like a week (I have a dvd to return dammit!) and that conversation about Ann
having to pose nude
made no sense at all. And I imagine that the young artist is going to join my group eventually? I don't know that I'll ever be able to like him considering he basically
blackmailed Ann into posing for him

Game is great so far but the build-up to that second dungeon has been kind of a let-down.

I thought it was hilarious and this whole part of the story moved pretty fast. I felt the first dungeon story dragged a bit. Keep playing. You'll like it.

Tiops

Ann needs rank 2 Kindness to proceed. Keep that in mind.

Weiss

Banned
Have you started her co-operation already? You need a basic Kindness level of 2 at the very least. As for her location, when I'm talking about the mall, I'm referring to (Underground Station Mall) the underground shopping area right next to the subway station, not the shopping areas that's located aboveground.

Yeah I've ranked her up to 2 and I fast travel to the Underground Mall but she's not there.

Is there anyway to shut the cat up during battles? He's just way too chatty and when hitting a group of enemies with their weakness, repeats the same dialogue every time.... Just past the first palace.

LiK

Is there anyway to shut the cat up during battles? He's just way too chatty and when hitting a group of enemies with their weakness, repeats the same dialogue every time.... Just past the first palace.

I don't believe so. He's like the Rise of P5 for the dungeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom