• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

This is my only real issue so far.

It's so frustrating having Morgana constantly tell me to go to bed if I dare try to do something at night. I hope the game loosens up a little further on.

This has been by far the most frustrating part of the game. So many evenings wasted because I couldn't do something for absolutely nonsensical reasons, like "you're going out to lunch tomorrow". Well yeah, and every other day I go to fucking school in the morning, hasn't stopped me from watching my DVDs before.

OTOH though, I feel like the game does give you more freedom than ever - you can actually go out and do stuff on the evenings too, and raising a certain SLink gives you even more free time. So no, I don't think it's any stricter than P3 or 4 on the whole, it's just slightly differently constructed so it feels like it is.

Setsu00

This has been by far the most frustrating part of the game. So many evenings wasted because I couldn't do something for absolutely nonsensical reasons, like "you're going out to lunch tomorrow". Well yeah, and every other day I go to fucking school in the morning, hasn't stopped me from watching my DVDs before.

OTOH though, I feel like the game does give you more freedom than ever - you can actually go out and do stuff on the evenings too, and raising a certain SLink gives you even more free time. So no, I don't think it's any stricter than P3 or 4 on the whole, it's just slightly differently constructed so it feels like it is.

FWIW you can still
gain some kindness by giving the plant in your attic some nutrients
on these days. Doesn't make it a lot better, but at least it's something.

Pachimari

Mandragora? or Mandrake?
Ok, will get her back from the velvet room for some bucks. I can resummon her if I catched her once right?
So do you need to use this Persona in order to use Pulinpa or can you take the skill and give it to another Persona?

So far I've gotten these tips today, thanks all!:

Pulinpa = Confuse
Get it from a flower Persona in Palace 1

Beat Palace 1 mini-boss Memento with Pulinpa to get increased currency.

Luck increases item amount rewards

Beat Palace 1 boss at lvl 11

aravuus

I've seen one persona that had a passive skill that boosted the chances of inflicting confuse too. I'm at work currently, but I'll try to check who it was when I get home. Should be useful.

FWIW you can still
gain some kindness by giving the plant in your attic some nutrients
on these days. Doesn't make it a lot better, but at least it's something.

Ah hell, I've totally forgotten about that one. I should seriously write myself a daily flowchart or something. "Do A, if unable do B -> then, do X" etc.

Blobbers

seems like both language options have shortcomings

English - Caroline sounds like she's hopped-up on drugs, and Morgana sounds like a 5-year-old boy, which is extra bad because the Morgana JP voice is one of the best ones
Japanese - a lot of stuff isn't subbed, like when you're in
the theater or watching a DVD

Setsu00

I've seen one persona that had a passive skill that boosted the chances of inflicting confuse too. I'm at work currently, but I'll try to check who it was when I get home. Should be useful.

Ah hell, I've totally forgotten about that one. I should seriously write myself a daily flowchart or something. "Do A, if unable do B -> then, do X" etc.

Seriously, there are so many things to do in this game.
If I hadn't found some nutrients in the mall by chance I probably would have forgotten about it, too.

Zafir

The problem is you can just have really big chunks, like spaces of one or two in game weeks where you just can't do anything at night.

I ended up getting a fine on one of my dvd's because that happened. There was exams and then there was 5000 story related things going on in the days after and it meant I couldn't watch it at night. Since then I haven't rented a DVD in the "free" time between two "dungeons"/"targets", since that tends to be when the problem happens.

Overall it probably isn't as bad as past games, but it feels like it is when you're at one of those bits.

PranooY

The game shows new places and says you can invite confidants. How do I do it tho?
Also how do I use my DVD player? I rented some DVDs.

JJShadow

I got my copy today! Any tips for a new persona player?

You have a lot of info in the OP, but these are some useful tips to take into account early on:

- Press square to auto-heal in a dungeon
- Normal difficulty provides a fair amount of challenge, you have to play smart if don't want to get wiped by "easy" mobs
- The game is completely on rails during the first 5-6 hours, then you are free to roam
- SP is the main limitation during the first dungeon, so try not to abuse SP-dependent skills (normal melee attacks deal a nice amount of damage)
- Extorting enemies for money or items is the fastest way to finish battles against tough enemies (you won't earn much experience though)
- Focus on getting one Persona of each element early on
- You can safely sell all the items marked as "treasure" for tons of money
- Use guns against flying enemies
- Don't get too attached to Morgana's character, you'll end up hating him

The game shows new places and says you can invite confidants. How do I do it tho?
Also how do I use my DVD player? I rented some DVDs.

For the DVD player, you first have to buy a TV (second-hand shop). Then you can watch them if you interact with the TV in your room

aravuus

A few rank in Temperance
give you basically a mini time slot in the morning once in a while. More later on in higher ranks

In addition to this, it looks like maxing
her SLink makes it so visits to palaces won't take the whole day, just the afternoon slot
, which sounds super useful.

The problem is you can just have really big chunks, like spaces of one or two in game weeks where you just can't do anything at night.

I ended up getting a fine on one of my dvd's because that happened. There was exams and then there was 5000 story related things going on in the days after and it meant I couldn't watch it at night. Since then I haven't rented a DVD in the "free" time between two "dungeons"/"targets", since that tends to be when the problem happens.

Overall it probably isn't as bad as past games, but it feels like it is when you're at one of those bits.

I agree, this is more or less what I meant by the structure being slightly different. It throws a lot more story stuff at you for longer continuous periods of time than the earlier games did, but this, I feel, is offset by the fact that on free days, you actually have much more free time. Or maybe not much more, but more nonetheless.

Philippo

So what's the best time management for dungeons?
I remember P4 being rainy days because it lacked activities and you could focus on those on the lther days.

danthefan

Listening to the Jim Sterling podcast here, they're defending the review.

If Laura thought it was an 8.5 game then that's fine. She's saying it's a great JRPG but it didn't do much new etc and again that's fine. But complaining about it not being handheld was and still is just such a stupid argument. It makes no fucking sense at all. You could apply that to any console game ever and dock it points.

Persona 5 came out on my birthday which was super awesome for me as a huge fan of 4. Got myself a capture card too so I had an all around fun time.

This game is everything I could've hoped for so far (I'm only about 3 hours in). The art style makes me cream non stop. I also love how the world feels just more lived in and populated, feels more like an actual place.

Dat art style tho. mwa

Zafir

If Laura thought it was an 8.5 game then that's fine. She's saying it's a great JRPG but it didn't do much new etc and again that's fine. But complaining about it not being handheld was and still is just such a stupid argument. It makes no fucking sense at all. You could apply that to any console game ever and dock it points.

Then just ignore it...?

That's their opinion, you don't agree and that's your opinion.

Yu Narukami

Persona 5 came out on my birthday which was super awesome for me as a huge fan of 4. Got myself a capture card too so I had an all around fun time.

This game is everything I could've hoped for so far (I'm only about 3 hours in). The art style makes me cream non stop. I also love how the world feels just more lived in and populated, feels more like an actual place.

Dat art style tho. mwa
Me too brother, me too. Lots of cream.

Shahadan

Has it just been a long time since I played Persona 3 and 4, or is this game even slower and more overbearing than those?

I'm halfway through the second Palace, so spoilers for anything up to there.

The amount of days some of the storytelling takes place over is ridiculous. Nearly the entire first half of May is a total wash because of the game forcing you to spend your days in exposition scenes and going to bed early because Reasons. I missed a DVD return because of this - hilariously, the game even acknowledged that there was no way I could have returned it and waived the fee because of "extraneous circumstances." That's dumb as hell.

I get that 3 and 4 were also like this, but it feels so much worse this time. I don't know if it's because there really is more hand-holding, or if things have just changed for me since I last played those games, but it's just dull to be dragged from scene to scene without being able to do anything, especially when the cutscenes themselves often feel like they're drip-feeding you information that could easily be condensed into tighter scenes, or at least scenes that don't eat up all of your after school time. The game is balanced around this I'm sure, yadda yadda, but it still sucks.

It's weird because the game even has a faster, better way to info-dump with the texting system. It just feels frustrating being nearly 20 hours into this thing and still mostly unable to, you know, play Persona without being railroaded constantly.

Again, yeah, sure, the series has always been like this to some degree. But I'm definitely feeling irritated by it in a way I never was previously. It's so glacially paced.

The story is pretty bold and I like the characters for the most part, and the aesthetic is of course fantastic. But man.

The simple fact that they're STILL doing this after 4 games (counting portable versions) is dreadful in itself. At that point if they're unable to do it properly I'd rather they give an option to skip daily life entirely and just focus on story because it wouldn't be that much different and would get rid of the annoyance and constant frustrations

massoluk

Banned

Don't get mad bro, but I wish this is a Vita game rather than PS4 too. Exactly for the reason she said. But I'll stop any talk about platform of choice talk here

I packed my Dual Shock 4 into my bag on my way out to work today hoping to play Remote Play from work on my laptop. When I packed the DS4 in, I accidentally turned on my PS4, and kind of hastily went to turn it off. I think I glanced the "Turn off PS4" option and turned it straight-up OFF instead of into sleep mode, because my laptop can't connect over the net to it.

Straight-up Persona 5 withdrawal hard right now. :(

Left off having finished (note for following spoilers: my game clock says 25 hours played now)
Madarame's Museum and moving through the post-dungeon school life stuff, and now kinda being blackmailed by Makoto to demonstrate how the Phantom Thieves operate.
I want to continue so bad, my pre-release P5-best-waifu speculation is
well on its way to being confirmed.
:p

Turned down Ann.... please tell me I made the right choice.

Didnt want to make such an important decision without unlocking the rest of the social links. It's only June. :(
Plus I didn't want to romance everyone like I did in P4G

dhlt25

The simple fact that they're STILL doing this after 4 games (counting portable versions) is dreadful in itself. At that point if they're unable to do it properly I'd rather they give an option to skip daily life entirely and just focus on story because it wouldn't be that much different and would get rid of the annoyance and constant frustrations

yep, just got to May today and this annoyed the shit out of me. I love the social stuff in persona and when the game forced you to not do anything for over 2 weeks it's really frustrating. In the previous games exam is usually during the week and at least you could do stuff on the weekend. I hope this change later in the game or I'll hate morgana forever lol

convo

Don't get mad bro, but I wish this is a Vita game rather than PS4 too. Exactly for the reason she said.

I didn't touch my copy of P4:GOLDEN but i did enjoy my time with digimon on the vita. I don't have any particular attachement to what form a game is supposed to have to get the most out of them. Any person on the internet, journalists or lurker,have arbitrary quality standards that i find worthless to put on a scale. God forbid i couldn't care less about the metacritic of a game i enjoy. The fact that so many people bring it up to justify something is annoying to me but what can you do but try to ignore it.

Renmyra

Does the Fortune confidant have any conditions for showing up? I
shelled out a lot of money for her, but she hasn't showed up since.

Roussow

So straight up, if I get the notification that a social link won't likely go up yet by spending precious time with someone, don't do it immediately, yeah? This all seems super obvious in theory, but I keep getting IM's, I take it it's just reminding me these people exist after school and in the evening.

I'm just out of the second dungeon now (I should mention, that final boss was the first time I've needed to take multiple attempts at a fight, most challenging thing so far -- just in terms of keeping the squad alive).

Outside of appropriate S-Links, I should focus on getting the five attributes up primarily, right? I've got three of them at level two, and another two at level three, I presume that's about the same for everyone else at this point? I kind of want to focus on getting Guts up to finish off this paper bag thing, but knowledge is really bothering me at how overbearing it is, and it's slow to level up (or so it seems). There wasn't any repercussion or major follow up to the first exams, I guess the preceding ones will be more significant I terms of stakes.

Don't get mad bro, but I wish this is a Vita game rather than PS4 too. Exactly for the reason she said. But I'll stop any talk about platform of choice talk here

Having played P4G on Vita, I felt the same all the way up to release. While having it native on a portable would be nice, I'm actually glad it's on PS4. It plays great on remote play and I can easily go from portable to big screen. Yeah, you need a network connection, but for most that shouldn't be an issue. It could only be better if it was a Switch title.

Surprised to see so many elements from the old Persona games come back. Like others are saying, I think the feel of the game is more like the Atlus of the PS2 era (game is certainly challenging and takes no prisoners) whilst also being an evolution in the best way possible. The game pulls no punches both narratively and in the dungeons. First Atlus game in a long time that takes me back to the PS2 era of their work, including the likes of Digital Devil Saga and SMT3.

Tiops

Question to people that are playing on hard: How much days did you take to clear the first Palace (after you're free to select when you enter it)? I think I'll be able to do that on my third day, but it was basically impossible for me to do that in 1 or 2 days. I had basically no SP with the entire team when I decided to return, and I'm not grinding, just fighting whatever appears in front of me.

And as a side note, it was funny to (mid 1st palace spoiler)
fight the Angel mini-boss and get OHKO in the first turn, even guarding. He just killed the MC with a Cleave

I just got to the scene(6-3) where you, ryuji and
mishima
(mostly you) find out that
the homeroom teacher also works as a maid
I did not expect that at all lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom