• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XaosWolf

Me: Hmm need to make a lockpick today really, ive run out

Cat: Nah we are not doing that today

Me: I want to pop downstairs for a coffee

Cat: Nah we are not doing that today

Me: Ok just a quick study before bed

Cat: Nah you are too tired

Me: Pass me that hammer off the tool bench

God damn though, what a great, addictive game. I know I make a lot of fun of this shit but at the same time I cant put it down.

Persona 5 |OT2| Probation & Purrfew

daveo42

Banned
Yea this annoyed me. Took 3 days with the first palace because of the calling card idea.

I also wish I knew about needing to actually find the treasure first before having the calling card bit pop up. Wasted a day leaving the palace and then come back only to get a cutscene saying I gotta come back later to claim it. Ugh...I could have done something on that day...

So is there any benefit to swapping out party members mid palace run? Cause it seems like the SP just gets transferred.

Honestly I'm in the second dungeon and Morgana isn't part of my main crew but I use the cats SP to heal up my party members when they need it. You can do that without switching it into the main group.

How does leveling personas work?

I feel like they rarely level naturally.
either in battle or from fusing them in the velvet room, this isnt pokemon, the game expects you to use lots of different personas, basically you use one until you are higher lvl enough to make a better persona

Use them in combat.

Is it like pokemon where they level up if they made any appearance at all? Do they have to be the one I start with? The one I end with? What if I get through the whole fight via a non MC character's gun+spell+all-out attack and the MC never needs to make an attack?

How long am I supposed to take to get through a dungeon? It seems like I'm always running out of SP before making any progress, it's been 4 days and the cat says I'm only ay 50% done (first dungeon).

I feel like I'm doing combat right, using weaknesses etc. but before long I have to retreat. Am I supposed to be avoiding these enemies and not even ambush them?

Pastry

Banned
I also wish I knew about needing to actually find the treasure first before having the calling card bit pop up. Wasted a day leaving the palace and then come back only to get a cutscene saying I gotta come back later to claim it. Ugh...I could have done something on that day...
I'm confused? What should I do so I don't screw up? About to be at that part.

LiK

Is it like pokemon where they level up if they made any appearance at all? Do they have to be the one I start with? The one I end with? What if I get through the whole fight via a non MC character's gun+spell+all-out attack and the MC never needs to make an attack?

Yea, I think whoever was active in the battle will get some EXP

How long am I supposed to take to get through a dungeon? It seems like I'm always running out of SP before making any progress, it's been 4 days and the cat says I'm only ay 50% done (first dungeon).

I feel like I'm doing combat right, using weaknesses etc. but before long I have to retreat. Am I supposed to be avoiding these enemies and not even ambush them?

I try to limit my fighting as much as possible until you reach the treasure or if you do have to ambush them I would end the fight as quickly as possible by holding them up and asking for money or item

Yeah, don't worry about it, it took me 4 runs to complete the first dungeon due to the limited SP limitation. You will find different ways to restore SP the further you get in the game

Every single person in this game (excluding the main crew) is an asshole/piece of shit I'd say lol

It appears so lol.

Your active Persona will gain XP I think.
My Persona rule: fuse everything, fuse all the time. Your Personas will level up very slowly through battle. Don't worry about leveling them up that way. Just fuse as much as you can and your confidant bonuses will boost your new Personas that way.

GRaider81

Been a long time since saving was so important in a game for me.

Screwed up by sending calling card a day before the 1st
deadline which low and behold wasn't enough time! Sent me back a week which i thought id have to do again but I had a save 3 days before so it was ok. Learned my lesson!

daveo42

Banned
I'm confused? What should I do so I don't screw up? About to be at that part.

Mild end of dungeon 1 spoiler:
You have "secure a path to the treasure first" which basically means you have to go to the room where it's located. You can get to it without encountering a boss fight. The calling card that follows is what triggers the boss fight and stealing the treasure. So...when you get to right outside of the treasure room at the top of the tower, go to the treasure regardless of how much HP/SP you have because the you won't be fighting the boss that time.

Stupid cat not explaining all this up front.

Khoryos

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly sure it's just whichever persona is equipped at the end whether or not you've used it.

Honestly I'm in the second dungeon and Morgana isn't part of my main crew but I use the cats SP to heal up my party members when they need it. You can do that without switching it into the main group.

So, I am curious about what Morgana's role in the party actually is and I don't want to read wiki entries or watch videos to find out because of possible spoilers (can't play the game for another 6 weeks). Is he a healer-hybrid? To which character(s) in Persona 4 is he most similar to as far as abilities/spells and role in combat/dungeons are concerned?

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly sure it's just whichever persona is equipped at the end whether or not you've used it.
If it's like in Persona 3 and 4 then only the Persona equipped at the end of a battle gets all the xp, unless they have a ability called growth which gives that Persona a certain amount of the xp too (e.g. growth 2 giving 50% of the xp), allowing them to level up without fighting. That's why social links were so important, grinding xp for abilities was a bitch and with a high respective social link you could unlock most or all abilities right from the get go when fusing them.

Okay with all the hype and buzz going on I can't avoid this game much longer. Outside of 720p and longer load-times, are there any actual confirmed differences between the PS3 and PS4 version? I ask because I would rather save money if it's just a resolution-bump.

Dantis

Okay with all the hype and buzz going on I can't avoid this game much longer. Outside of 720p and longer load-times, are there any actual confirmed differences between the PS3 and PS4 version? I ask because I would rather save money if it's just a resolution-bump.

Pretty sure that's all. Feature wise and visually it's identical.

So, I am curious about what Morgana's role in the party actually is and I don't want to read wiki entries or watch videos to find out because of possible spoilers (can't play the game for another 6 weeks). Is he a healer-hybrid? To which character(s) in Persona 4 is he most similar to as far as abilities/spells and role in combat/dungeons are concerned?
he's basically yukari from persona 3

Quick question:

I'm considering taking the plunge and just trading in some backlog titles for this today

What's up with the steelbook edition? Best Buy's site has a more plain looking one with the protagonist only, googling "Persona 5 Steelbook Edition" gets results for both that and a stylish one that has the whole cast

Is it a slipcover? Or is that just a bleh NA version or something. (Looks like it could be a sleeve but no idea)

FluxWaveZ

In terms of combat mechanics? So far, he seems like the primary healer. The only one to have Mediarama in the game for me approximately 50 hours in, and he also has Recarm.

XaosWolf

Rise, Teddy and Yosuke.

Maybe spoilers for his role I guess? (Nothing story related)
Yosuke when alive, Rise when dead, Teddy all the time.

Something I enjoyed when Makoto joins you is her asking really like...simple and obvious questions and everyone being "Guuuhhhhh???" and her reaction being like "Oh my god you idiots, leave the thinking to me from now on"

he's basically yukari from persona 3
Rise/Teddy and Yosuke..
Ah thanks, that helps ;-)!
Glad that he sounds like a good all around character who works in any party set-up, he is already my favorite character (^人^).
Would a pain if I had to sacrifice his slot for a Yukiko esque white mage or more specialized characters instead of being able to keep him in the team at all times.

Salaadin

Any early game tips to raise kindness? I saw that you need rank 2 for a certain confidant.
I was going to work at the flower shop but I need more charm for that. Should I raise my charm to get that job and then raise my kindness or is there a more direct approach to just straight up raise kindness?

Pastry

Banned
I'm one shotting the jack o lanterns but I still need to capture one, am I kind of screwed? Do guns knock them down?

Any early game tips to raise kindness? I saw that you need rank 2 for a certain confidant.
I was going to work at the flower shop but I need more charm for that. Should I raise my charm to get that job and then raise my kindness or is there a more direct approach to just straight up raise kindness?
Take care of the plant in your room by giving it nutrients from the flower shop(doesn't consume in-game time), and spend time with your angry caretaker

If you buy nutrients from the Flower Shop you can actually use them on the plant in your room for Kindness boosts without having to spend time on it. It's every so often but it helps. Another store that opens up later has nutrients that raise it even more

Salaadin

Take care of the plant in your room by giving it nutrients from the flower shop(doesn't consume in-game time), and spend time with your angry caretaker

If you buy nutrients from the Flower Shop you can actually use them on the plant in your room for Kindness boosts without having to spend time on it. It's every so often but it helps. Another store that opens up later has nutrients that raise it even more
Sweet, thanks. I actually already bought the nutrients but haven't had a chance to use them yet...because I spent time with Sojiro. I guess I'm heading in the right direction then.

Rank 2 kindness shouldn't take too long, right?

Sweet, thanks. I actually already bought the nutrients but haven't had a chance to use them yet...because I spent time with Sojiro. I guess I'm heading in the right direction then.

Rank 2 kindness shouldn't take too long, right?

Nah you should be able to get to it quick. One of the drinks you can buy every Sunday also give you +1 to kindness; also doesn't consume in-game time.

Knowledge on the other hand...

Salaadin

Nah you should be able to get to it quick. One of the drinks you can buy every Sunday also give you +1 to kindness; also doesn't consume in-game time.

Knowledge on the other hand...
Cool. I want to get started on the S Link asap so I'm trying to get the required kindness asap

Taruranto

Starting Yusuke's arc, jesus game, let me play a little. Definitely need more free days to mess around with S.Link and whatnot.

Hybris

Hey guys, been avoiding the OT to keep myself spoiler free, but I have a question.

I have noticed some time specific tasks that will greatly increase your attributes. Examples include the Underground Walkway drink stand on sundays, the movie theater first time viewing, providing nutrients to your plant, and the bathhouse on Mon/Thurs. Any other really big bonuses that I haven't noticed that I really should take advantage of? I just finished the first exam week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom