• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

The cheap shit this game throws at you is getting infuriating.
It does not respect your time.

Welcome to SMT. I've long hated the press turn battle system and the presence of one-hit kill dark and light spells but the fans will defend both to the death.

I've only beaten one dungeon, though, and so far it has been refreshingly bullshit free.

mstevens

Stats like kindness and guts carry over to ng+ right? Should make getting all the max social links pretty easy on a second run through.

Hey guys, been avoiding the OT to keep myself spoiler free, but I have a question.

I have noticed some time specific tasks that will greatly increase your attributes. Examples include the Underground Walkway drink stand on sundays, the movie theater first time viewing, providing nutrients to your plant, and the bathhouse on Mon/Thurs. Any other really big bonuses that I haven't noticed that I really should take advantage of? I just finished the first exam week.
Books you can borrow from the library give you +3 towards that stat. Ordering coffee from the diner during a rainy day gives you +3 knowledge and +1 guts

Beat the first Palace last night. Game is still godly, looking forward to actually get entire days to play this over the weekend without my pesky 9-5er getting in the way.

StereoVsn

Books you can borrow from the library give you +3 towards that stat. Ordering coffee from the diner during a rainy day gives you +3 knowledge and +1 guts
Beef Bowl part time job sometime has busy nights and you can get 3 to profiency. Also once you get better at tool making you will sometimes get 3 proficiency.

Edit: The fruit stand is still something I haven't used. 5k is too much at this point (just finished 2nd dungeon). That's like 1/2 from best weapon or 1/10th of the SP accessory. I am sure that in a month of game time I will start it but playing on Normal I am always broke (Persona fusion is not cheap).

Jocund

Fucked up by renting out two dvds just before a lengthy string of linear storyline "nah let's go to bed you're too tired" bullshit days.

Shits ended up being some two weeks late.

Fuck you, Mona

Damn this guide, I'm a bit off and it's all ruined!
Speaking of guides this seems to be a decent alternative to the GameFAQs one: http://spwiki.net/persona5/wikis/722.html
Only caveat is that it's in Japanese so you have to use Google Translate. From the get-go it already seems better than the other guide since it gives you two days to infiltrate the first palace which makes it doable for Normal/Hard difficulty. You also get Knowledge to rank two before the first exam. Apparently it also maxes out all the confidants a few days sooner than the other guide giving you more free days near the end.

Totakeke

The gamefaqs guide is also more strict than necessary because it attempts to read all books. Unless you're going for trophy hunting, reading books isn't really all that interesting. And you can probably do it far easier on NG+ anyway?

I actually noticed a thing in the guide where you could boost your closeness better with a Confidant by choosing a different option and as a result I was actually ahead of the guide. Looked at what it being like "spend time" and then I ranked up and was like "What?" So I spent that free time I...uh...freed up going to Mementos and grinding for money and levels cause holy shit the guide does not mention that you need money coming out your anus to do some of this shit. I've had to sell a ton of shit just to barely scrape by on time.

That of course all changed once I earned like 500,000 grinding in the 3rd palace by equipping 2 people with the SP regen items.

MTC100

Banned
All stats level 2 except for Knowledge. Right before the exams too. Curse you!

you will fail don't even bother answering anything right, it's how the game works. I think they did a much too late warning that exams are starting, also they make it not really rewarding to study unless it's raining. Knowing Persona you will have to get it to level 3 till the next exams happen, I guess you'd have to neglect almost everything else for that to happen, I guess I will not care at all and enjoy the game instead and ace everything in my Newgame+.

Ydelnae

What is the best way to approach the Mementos? Solving every quest everytime there's a Pollen warning or waiting until the end game and solving everything in one day?

Hybris

Any big guts boosts? Trying to get that to level 2 for the D
eath
arcana

you will fail don't even bother answering anything right, it's how the game works. I think they did a much too late warning that exams are starting, also they make it not really rewarding to study unless it's raining. Knowing Persona you will have to get it to level 3 till the next exams happen, I guess you'd have to neglect almost everything else for that to happen, I guess I will not care at all and enjoy the game instead and ace everything in my Newgame+.

Oh damn that's stupid. I got everything right and waiting on scores now... Sucks to find out that it doesn't matter.

kromeo

Welcome to SMT. I've long hated the press turn battle system and the presence of one-hit kill dark and light spells but the fans will defend both to the death.

I've only beaten one dungeon, though, and so far it has been refreshingly bullshit free.

The main character being one shot by death spells was the only major complaint I had with P3, there was one section of the game where sphinx enemies I think it was were spamming them constantly. There's difficulty and then there's just cheap bs

bigmac996

eath
arcana

You could hit up the movie theater, you'll get a guts boost from the first picture screening there. Also, the burger challenge yields some good guts, as well as the captain kidd book from the library.

Zyrox

Jesus the boss of the second palace is kicking my ass.
Can't even get past the first phase, fuck.
Gotta go hit the grind I guess.

Yeah I'm really starting to find the SP system to be really tedious and I hope it gets much better later on in the game, it's taking me like 7 days to do this dungeon.

Even if I ambush enemies every time and exploit weaknesses, they still don't give characters enough SP to get through a dungeon, and the controls behind cover aren't good enough to reliably dodge every enemy and you run the risk of getting ambushed which REALLY fucks you over. And they're aren't any items to just refill it. This is kind of stupid.

Lingitiz

I find myself settling into the same rut I usually get with Persona games (which is why I've stuck to the animes and let's plays and never finished one).

It's really compelling but at the same time I find myself feeling the grind of the schedule and the long, uninterrupted dialogue segments where you're not doing much more than X'ing through. While the dungeons are much improved, I find movement around them to be pretty clunky and unresponsive, especially with the cover system. The battles are great but I'm reaching the point where I just want them to be over, especially after seeing the same All Out Attack screens and stylish battle end scenes. They're cool, but after you've seen it a few times the novelty of the style wears off.

It's all done real well, I just don't know if this is for me. I'll try to stick with it.

bigmac996

Jesus the boss of the second palace is kicking my ass.
Can't even get past the first phase, fuck.
Gotta go hit the grind I guess.

It's not that bad. Just
use debuffs, attack/ defense. Target the nose and eyes first, use ryuji's rampage so you can hit every target at once, and you might have the ability on a MC persona. Use Morgana for heals. Don't worry about the mouth absorbing the attack in this phase. Then once the eyes/ nose are down focus on the mouth with magic attacks. Don't forget to buff and debuff.

I beat the first dungeon and I've gotten to 5/7-5/8 from yesterday's session so spoilers for people who haven't played around that part:

I found the Kamoshida fight to be a little interesting with the whole taking-the-crown-off-his-head-to-weaken-him thing. The blatant symbolism and themes of his character from his shadow form still show with the women bodies in his drink that restore his health and him being a perv, staring at Ann constantly during the fight. It was hilarious how much of a cakewalk he was when his crown was removed, even if I understand that was the point.

The buffet scene seemed to be foreshadowing something to me with running into a guy that might be the guy who caused MC to have a criminal record by suing him, just recognizing his voice. The principal seems like a dick, blackmailing Makoto into spying on the Phantom Themes. Her introduction to the Phantom Thieves when she comes on the rooftop makes her out to be a bit prissy, but I figure her character will get better as the game goes on and more is revealed in game.

Jiraiza

Managed to get my knowledge to 2 before exams started, yes!

Panda Rin

Yeah I'm really starting to find the SP system to be really tedious and I hope it gets much better later on in the game, it's taking me like 7 days to do this dungeon.

Even if I ambush enemies every time and exploit weaknesses, they still don't give characters enough SP to get through a dungeon, and the controls behind cover aren't good enough to reliably dodge every enemy and you run the risk of getting ambushed which REALLY fucks you over. And they're aren't any items to just refill it. This is kind of stupid.

Are you using SP efficiently? I'm having no problems finishing dungeons within two days.

There's an SP recovery item later which helps a shit-ton - to a point where you can stay in a dungeon perpetually.

I'm really wondering how this game is taking people 100 plus hours when I feel like I'm fairly close to the end an I'm at somewhere around 40 hours at the moment if memory serves. I'm in the middle of October and
I've already nearly maxed out some of the story linked confidants and am getting extremely close to the point where the game begins that you keep flashing back from

FluxWaveZ

It doesn't sound like you're managing SP properly if this is a significant problem for you. I had no such issues.

I'm literally completing, or at least pushing as far as I can in each dungeon, in a single day.

I beat the first dungeon in one.

It's very possible and SP management is important. You just have to use your stuff wisely.

Second dungeon wasn't even a problem, I actually hung around for a while after each push to grind out for a bit.

StereoVsn

eath
arcana

Oh damn that's stupid. I got everything right and waiting on scores now... Sucks to find out that it doesn't matter.
You could get it to level 2 by exam time from 2 x study sessions with party members and separately reading a book or two and drinking couple coffees at the diner (especially on rainy days). I was able to grind up to Level 2 knowledge right before the exam.

Are you playing on hard? If so I would suggest going to normal. The difficulty levels in this game just kinda make it more of a grind tbh. And like another poster said, you should work on the clinic social link.

It doesn't sound like you're managing SP properly if this is a significant problem for you. I had no such issues.

Yeah. I finished almost every dungeon in one day besides the first which took me an extra and one where I ended up getting booted. Protip-at rank 7 death arcana you can get an accessory that regens sp each turn for 50,000. You can get it earlier in the s-link as well, but it'll be more expensive until then. There are also weaker versions that cost less as well. It's super helpful even if you only buy one for the MC

Hybris

You could get it to level 2 by exam time from 2 x study sessions with party members and separately reading a book or two and drinking couple coffees at the diner (especially on rainy days). I was able to grind up to Level 2 knowledge right before the exam.

Yeah I'm reading some of you have all level 2 before exams, that's a lost cause for me lol. Only have 3 of them to 2 after exams. I'll just do some ng+ to finish it off so no big deal.

Zyrox

It's not that bad. Just
use debuffs, attack/ defense. Target the nose and eyes first, use ryuji's rampage so you can hit every target at once, and you might have the ability on a MC persona. Use Morgana for heals. Don't worry about the mouth absorbing the attack in this phase. Then once the eyes/ nose are down focus on the mouth with magic attacks. Don't forget to buff and debuff.

Easier said than done when every attack is (near) instakilling one of my party members. I figured out the strategy you described, but my party isn't up to snuff for that yet. Ryuji
hasn't learned Rampage yet, for instance.
Playing on merciless btw.

Jiraiza

As it turns out, you can stay behind covers and the enemy will never notice you even if you're in their direct line of sight.

Abuse that hard.

Do I really need to complete a memento mission before I can hang out with Moon confidant? I can't pile requests for Memento?? It's such a waste of time as going to Memento means a day gone.

I'm really wondering how this game is taking people 100 plus hours when I feel like I'm fairly close to the end an I'm at somewhere around 40 hours at the moment if memory serves. I'm in the middle of October and
I've already nearly maxed out some of the story linked confidants and am getting extremely close to the point where the game begins that you keep flashing back from

I'm wondering how you're that far ahead that quickly :p

I currently just hit 30 hours and I'm only in early June.

rugioh

Banned
As it turns out, you can stay behind covers and the enemy will never notice you even if you're in their direct line of sight.

Abuse that hard.

LMAO, for real? I didn't know they meant you were literally untouchable if you were in cover. Going to experiment with this when I get off work.

Do I really need to complete a memento mission before I can hang out with Moon confidant? I can't pile requests for Memento?? It's such a waste of time as going to Memento means a day gone.

You can do multiple memento requests in one day. A lot of the confidants will require a memento mission to complete as well

Well if you guys are doing it then I'm definitely doing something wrong but I wish I had a clue as to what it is. The way I normally fight is, once I have the weakness, I use the attack once on every enemy so they're all down, and use all-out attack to kill them all in one go.

What I didn't know is the cover trick, if enemies are that dumb maybe I can avoid more than I thought, I've been ambushing them all. It feels like the only way I can get through with my SP in tact is by avoiding more combat.

Jiraiza

LMAO, for real? I didn't know they meant you were literally untouchable if you were in cover. Going to experiment with this when I get off work.

Yep. I don't know if this changes after the first dungeon, but it's kind of an immersion breaker, that's for sure.

rugioh

Banned
Well if you guys are doing it then I'm definitely doing something wrong but I wish I had a clue as to what it is. The way I normally fight is, once I have the weakness, I use the attack once on every enemy so they're all down, and use all-out attack to kill them all in one go.

What I didn't know is the cover trick, if enemies are that dumb maybe I can avoid more than I thought, I've been ambushing them all. It feels like the only way I can get through with my SP in tact is by avoiding more combat.

I think especially in the first palace if you don't skip enemies and do this for every shadow you'll definitely run out of SP quickly. I ended up burning almost all of my SP regen and soma to get through it in a single shot, but if I were to go back in time I would try and flee fights after getting an ambush, and just use physical attacks with my damage dealers and heal up damage with dia on my other characters when needed.

I'm wondering how you're that far ahead that quickly :p

I currently just hit 30 hours and I'm only in early June.

I'm playing on normal difficulty, completeing palaces in one run as much as possible. I'm even taking on most of the enemies I come across, I rarely stealth past an enemy lol. I've done a few mementos runs as well to complete requests, but I usually don't explore much beyond just going down or up levels and finding missions when they are on the floor.

1.5 million shipped worldwide.

Persona 5 Has Shipped Over 1.5 Million Copies Worldwide

IRVINE, Calif. -- April 7, 2017 -- Atlus Co., Ltd. (Setagayaku Tokyo, Chief Executive Officer: Akira Nomoto) announced that following the launch of the critically acclaimed Persona 5 in North America and Europe, the game has shipped more than 1.5 million copies worldwide.

To celebrate the launch of the game, there will be a Persona live concert event on Aug. 2 at the Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan. Please stay tuned for upcoming news on Persona 5 and the Persona series in the future!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man these train stations are just as shit as actual train stations :p

Beef Bowl part time job sometime has busy nights and you can get 3 to profiency. Also once you get better at tool making you will sometimes get 3 proficiency.

Edit: The fruit stand is still something I haven't used. 5k is too much at this point (just finished 2nd dungeon). That's like 1/2 from best weapon or 1/10th of the SP accessory. I am sure that in a month of game time I will start it but playing on Normal I am always broke (Persona fusion is not cheap).

I've done it twice already and I just beat the first dungeon. I haven't upgraded any weapons or armor yet.

Stats like kindness and guts carry over to ng+ right? Should make getting all the max social links pretty easy on a second run through.

Yes and yes.

MSMrRound

Man what the hell, someone else talked about this earlier too but square does nothing for me? Are there other map screens in addition to the one you get when you press R1 once?

Doesn't do anything for me either. I played around with it a bit too.

Yeah I've ranked her up to 2 and I fast travel to the Underground Mall but she's not there.

Like I mentioned earlier, you can press R1 to bring up the list of locations you can fast travel to. Press X to select the location, e.g from Shujin you can select Yongen-jaya instead

C80yc9_VoAIJSDe.jpg

When I bring the cursor over to Yongen-Jaya, I can press Square for this menu to pop up, which will tell me what potential co-operations are ready for a rank up etc e.g you can see I'm ready to advance Takemi Tae's level. This is also a good way to tell where your co-operation members are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom