• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a question, to those who are NG+ already, or were with the japanese version.

Since items do not carry over to NG+, can you claim your Healing Item Set again for NG+?

Honestly I really doubt I can max all social links at this point, especially when I still haven't started hanged man SL (Guts aren't high enough yet) and Three of my social stats are still at level 3

Honestly I really doubt I can max all social links at this point, especially when I still haven't started hanged man SL (Guts aren't high enough yet) and Three of my social stats are still at level 3
Feels like there are a lot more social stat requirements. Sucks because I still haven't started hanged man either. Right now I'm just prioritising stats and hoping to at least get em all next playthrough.

I totally see what they what they were trying to do with Morgana as a gatekeeper.

Replace the non-diegetic system communication of previous games with actual in-game dialogue. The idea being that the player would remain more immersed in the world of the game. However, to not anticipate the extent to which this might make players resent Morgana (as the voice of the system) over the 100+ hours of the narrative was a disappointing oversight.

I used to be frustrated when Persona 4 Golden would railroad me for a solid week, forcing me through my day and to bed without agency time and time again, but it was a frustration with the game. I never forgot that the game was doing this (in theory) for my own good. The moment you give that restraint a voice and a face, it becomes the scapegoat for so much frustration throughout the massive experience. Which, honestly? Isn't fair to Morgana. Who, apart from that, is an awesome character.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Yeah, really not enjoying how railroaded I feel (I'm at the start of the second dungeon). It wouldn't be so bad if story scenes didn't use up an entire day including being able to read a book in the cafe. It's unfortunate that having to sleep is being enforced by Morgana which is making me hate his character haha.

I'm playing on normal difficulty, completeing palaces in one run as much as possible. I'm even taking on most of the enemies I come across, I rarely stealth past an enemy lol. I've done a few mementos runs as well to complete requests, but I usually don't explore much beyond just going down or up levels and finding missions when they are on the floor.

I guess I'm spending a lot of time talking to various npcs each day, that's probably why my playtime is where it's at right now in comparison to yours.

JJShadow

May has been a bit of a drag so far due to the excessive railroading, I'm on 5/20
(just started the second dungeon)
and there have been only 2-3 free days at max since I finished the first dungeon

Hopefully this changes from now on

As it turns out, you can stay behind covers and the enemy will never notice you even if you're in their direct line of sight.

Abuse that hard.
I will try that. The cover system and camera is so bad that I usually try to avoid it. Is there a way to revive the MC without game over? It's pretty annoying, tbh. That and all the handholding/railroading is driving me nuts but I'm still enjoying the game, for now.Nothing's blowing me away yet, it feels like a slight upgrade from P4G which isn't a bad thing.

It also has some of the ugliest and blurriest environments I've seen in a while

RPGCrazied

2nd palace is mega cool. I like how each one is themed on who you are going after. Do you start getting more requests soon? I only have 2 so far that I've done.

May has been a bit of a drag so far due to the excessive railroading, I'm on 5/20
(just started the second dungeon)
and there have been only 2-3 free days at max since I finished the first dungeon

Hopefully this changes from now on

yeah, plus another complaint I had for early game is that it takes too long to get more than a handful of Confidants. I feel like you had only three options until after the first palace, and one of them quickly became blocked by a Social stat requirement

Ferrio

Banned
Beat the first palace. I'm tempted to bump up the difficulty to hard cause I thought the boss was a bit of a pushover, but I don't want to frustrate myself either. Hrmm.

Meowster

5/18 spoilers:
I like the Madarame plot better than the Kamoshida arc. Kamoshida was just a straight up villain from the get go, abusing his power and raping a girl, there wasn't any room other than how awful of a person he is. Madarame has clearly done some awful things so far but it is more interesting with Yusuke who is a victim but wants things to stay the same. It's more of a mystery.

Beant

So i am a little confused about Mementos..

If I am min/maxing my time should I wait until a bunch of missions accumulate? Or will that not even happen since I probably need to do some missions to get more?

I have not been since the first forced time if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

So i am a little confused about Mementos..

If I am min/maxing my time should I wait until a bunch of missions accumulate? Or will that not even happen since I probably need to do some missions to get more?

I have not been since the first forced time if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Wait until a bunch accumulate. Also keep in mind several missions are tied to SL progression

Opa-Pa

You'd think that after so many load times the "TAKE YOUR TIME" would stick with people and they'd take the advice lol. The game is designed to make you plan what to do with your time and resources in every way, what's the rush to finish everything in one day?

Persona 5 |OT2| TAKE YOUR TIME, inmate.

ItsTheNew

You'd think that after so many load times the "TAKE YOUR TIME" would stick with people and they'd take the advice lol. The game is designed to make you plan what to do with your time and resources in every way, what's the rush to finish everything in one day?

Because the barriers seem artificial. There's no reason why they couldn't let you at least try to build up some stats/social links at night after a story cutscene. Also the only free time you get outside of going to palaces is so small.

Edit:
Why so many repeating battle lines and the "okay." Said by the MC at the end of every battle? Why does a certain automobile have the most annoying throttle noise ever?

Because the barriers seem artificial. There's no reason why they couldn't let you at least try to build up some stats/social links at night after a story cutscene. Also the only free time you get outside of going to palaces is so small.

Where are you? Later in the story you'll get way more free time to complete palaces (Which you can generally clear in one day for the main section, plus two more for calling card and boss)

Opa-Pa

My bad, I do find the "you seem tired, you should sleep" nonsense annoying, I was talking more about complaints about the SP, dungeons being long, and generally them "wasting time".

I get the frustration but the game is balanced around the fact there are days where you don't get much done besides some story progress. Max social link runs are still possible, it may not be easy though.

ItsTheNew

Where are you? Later in the story you'll get way more free time to complete palaces (Which you can generally clear in one day for the main section, plus two more for calling card and boss)
Second palace. I'm doing the same rythym as you in regards to finish a palace in one night and spend the rest doing other things, but it feels like that's the only efficient way to do it if you want to experience building s links and the like. I don't remember such hard swings of spending time in previous games (it felt like I could mix it up and still have plenty of time to dick around)

Just entered the first dungeon, is it okay to stop after defeating
the archangel at chapel
, or I need to go further?

At that point my party SP is essentially 0. SP is really scarce, 1/3 or more of my party SP was spent healing :/

I always played P3/P4 at easy, and usually clear a dungeon (minus the boss) in one go. This time I'm playing at normal, I don't know how much you're supposed to progress...

===================
I heard there's confidant skill that gave inactive party EXP, could someone spoil the arcana name for me?

Second palace. I'm doing the same rythym as you in regards to finish a palace in one night and spend the rest doing other things, but it feels like that's the only efficient way to do it if you want to experience building s links and the like. I don't remember such hard swings of spending time in previous games (it felt like I could mix it up and still have plenty of time to dick around)

Honestly so far it feels easier in this game to get a lot of maxed social link first playthrough. I'm not done yet, but P4 generally felt much stricter on time to me, and there it was almost always a cakewalk to finish dungeons in the minimum number of days, whereas here I've failed twice and the 5th dungeon pushed me to the limit to complete

ZangBa

I was going to complain about how many days I'm forced to skip out on upgrading stats/social links for trivial things like short cutscenes of just talking somewhere and being tired for no good reason, but I see that's already being complained about lol. The worst thing for me is when I'm doing a palace and go as far as I can, but I'm still so healthy I end up grinding for a long ass time so I make the most out of the day.

ChrisD

When should I make use of the extra saving slots?
First persona game and no spoilers plz :)

I use one save per real life day of playing. Due to the fact it will take me longer than 16 days, I'll end up looping back around to the start.

I like to see how long I've played for the day, and that's the best way I've found outside of just taking a pen and paper to jot down start/end times.

Just entered the first dungeon, is it okay to stop after defeating
the archangel at chapel
, or I need to go further?

At that point my party SP is essentially 0. SP is really scarce, 1/3 or more of my party SP was spent healing :/

I always played P3/P4 at easy, and usually clear a dungeon (minus the boss) in one go. This time I'm playing at normal, I don't know how much you're supposed to progress...

===================
I heard there's confidant skill that gave inactive party EXP, could someone spoil the arcana name for me?
I stopped there in my playthrough. Honestly, while it's totally possible to clear palaces in one go with good sp management or stealth skills, I don't honestly think the game expects you to do so

Recall

What should I do before attempting the first palace? I have time with Ryuji now and I guess I need to visit the bath thing and talk to the Takemi doctor but is there anything I MUST do to avoid screwing up later?

I sort of want to get the palace done sooner rather than later, it's a hurdle I want to clear.

ckohler

I totally see what they what they were trying to do with Morgana as a gatekeeper.

Replace the non-diegetic system communication of previous games with actual in-game dialogue. The idea being that the player would remain more immersed in the world of the game. However, to not anticipate the extent to which this might make players resent Morgana (as the voice of the system) over the 100+ hours of the narrative was a disappointing oversight.

I used to be frustrated when Persona 4 Golden would railroad me for a solid week, forcing me through my day and to bed without agency time and time again, but it was a frustration with the game. I never forgot that the game was doing this (in theory) for my own good. The moment you give that restraint a voice and a face, it becomes the scapegoat for so much frustration throughout the massive experience. Which, honestly? Isn't fair to Morgana. Who, apart from that, is an awesome character.

I see your point but I immediately recognized the game is doing it this way so I don't blame Morgana. It's really no different from when the protagonist has a thought bubble saying he should do this or that and you can't choose. I just take it as Morgana looking out for my best interests... which makes me like him more.

What should I do before attempting the first palace? I have time with Ryuji now and I guess I need to visit the bath thing and talk to the Takemi doctor but is there anything I MUST do to avoid screwing up later?

I sort of want to get the palace done sooner rather than later, it's a hurdle I want to clear.

Not really. In fact you really don't get many SL options until after the first palace anyways,

I stopped there in my playthrough. Honestly, while it's totally possible to clear palaces in one go with good sp management or stealth skills, I don't honestly think the game expects you to do so

How do you conserve SP anyway? Before facing the
archangel
boss my party SP was only enough for 4-5 Dia, so what I did was guard my leader and spam physical attacks to it, and only heal the leader if needed. Which isn't exactly the best strategy lol.

Just beat the 2nd dungeon and the game's feeling really easy. Shoulda played on hard I guess.

It gets harder imo, especially if you try to beat dungeons in one day (Even with certain precautions I took in advance after hearing about them online like the sp regen accessory, I barely managed to make it through the 5th dungeon in one day because I pretty much ran out of SP much earlier on.)

ckohler

It's up to you but it's usually best to do the palace as soon as possible. Also, go though as much as you can until you're almost out of SP before leaving, maximizing your day there. Staying in a palace does not advance time until you leave. Save at every Safe Room in case you get blitzed.

I think many people just try to minmax the game because they're used to unrealistic JRPGs where everything exists in an artificial state to be exploited and 100%'ed. But Persona games try to provide a more realistic experience and focus on role playing instead of unlocking shit. And like in real life, we don't develop close bonds with everyone we meet, and sometimes we choose who to further a bond with. That doesn't make the game bad, or that we're missing out. It's just playing a role and making our own story for the character. But people view that in a negative way, as if they're not getting all the value if they don't see everything in one playthrough. It's hard to break this expectation when so many games are designed in that way, even supposed RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom