• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To celebrate the launch of the game, there will be a Persona live concert event on Aug. 2 at the Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan. Please stay tuned for upcoming news on Persona 5 and the Persona series in the future!
>Celebrating the launch in the west that happened 8 months after the Japanese one
> Doing so by having a concert somewhere in the middle of Japan and not even in Tokyo or Osaka where a decent number of foreigners would at least have a chance to attend.

No comment.

Xeteh

The game forced me to use Arsene during the fusion tutorial and I feel bad that I'm missing him now

Is he worth buying again and leveling up? Does he become one of the better personas, and/or is he a good persona to have in the early game?

Personas stop gaining skills after a few levels, there's no reason to keep one to level it up constantly. Its not like pokemon, you're fusing and replacing personas constantly.

I'm what, 11-12 hours in now?

a) Beginning/"Tutorial":
Shit is dark, yo. Like, really dark. In the beginning for sure, I doubt that it gets any brighter.
b) Playing on Hard was the right choice...so far. RIP that sweet Soma cash though T_T
c) 5/7:
What the hell, Totoro cat bus with "meow-tary engine?! 10/10, 100/100, game of all time, no questions.
d) I'm still salty about the price tag but god damn it feels good to have a new Persona game.

kenta

Has no PEINS
no, there is is no reason to ever use him again and this isnt pokemon, a persona is only useful for a maybe a single dungeon at a time
Huh. How is a persona only useful for a single dungeon? If I get a dude that has several multi-target elemental attacks, why would their usefulness be limited to one dungeon?

I've only played P4G and never really dove into the persona registration stuff, maybe I need to click with this concept

Huh. How is a persona only useful for a single dungeon? If I get a dude that has several multi-target elemental attacks, why would their usefulness be limited to one dungeon?

I've only played P4G and never really dove into the persona registration stuff, maybe I need to click with this concept

i mean in a general sense, you will likely want to fuse a more powerful persona to match the lvls of the current palace, also persona 4 golden made it very easy to use a single persona with the shuffle time cards

The loading is pretty quick in this game, but there is a LOT of it. I'm about 4 hours in (still in the tutorial dungeon). Does it start to lighten up once you can plan your days?

LiK

The loading is pretty quick in this game, but there is a LOT of it. I'm about 4 hours in (still in the tutorial dungeon). Does it start to lighten up once you can plan your days?

Loading isn't much of an issue, imo. It loads especially fast when switchign around in Save Rooms in a dungeon. Like near instant.

cheez124

so the ability you get from the fortune confidant lets you (minor confidant spoilers)
increase the growth rate in a chosen social stat. does that mean activities that would give me 3 charm, for example, give me even more? or does it only benefit activities that give me one charm?

Kinsei

Banned
I finally got a chance to explore the first dungeon at my own leisure. Here are some random thoughts.

The Persona awakening scenes in this are amazing.

I'm really enjoying the negotiations. I'm really glad they brought this feature back after it was absent in P3 and P4.

The dungeon being hand designed instead of randomly generated is really cool. It makes the actual dungeon crawling outside of battles much more engaging.

The animations after all out attacks are incredibly stylish (Though that could be said for most things in this game).

Assuming the story doesn't crap the bed I think this will end up being my favorite Persona game.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
so the ability you get from the fortune confidant lets you (minor confidant spoilers)
increase the growth rate in a chosen social stat. does that mean activities that would give me 3 charm, for example, give me even more? or does it only benefit activities that give me one charm?

I'm not 100% sure how it works,
because it seemed to always give me the expected number of music notes. I think the difference is that it might decrease the number needed to rank up, or maybe it has a random, unseen, multiplier in the background.

Zalman

Without going into specifics, are Mementos missions required to get/do anything major? Like, I could imagine doing them would unlock a specific ending or something. I don't really enjoy those missions too much so I was wondering if I actually need to do them.

wamberz1

Matador's a Beast
Obligatory
6c0.png

Opa-Pa

It's mostly because every time you level up you can get access to personas with similar stat distributions that are objectively better, so not only you don't want to stick with them for an entire dungeon, but ideally you want to consider fusing new ones at least every two levels.

Of course you have to factor skills too. Sometimes the sooner you fuse them the better, other times it's best to gain a few skills to make the new one better. But yeah a lot of the difficulty in these games is completely mitigated if you fuse your stuff often enough.

Because you would then fuse them into a higher level Persona (plus Confidant bonuses) and pass those several multi-target elemental attacks on to the new one.

Shouta

Without going into specifics, are Mementos missions required to get/do anything major? Like, I could imagine doing them would unlock a specific ending or something. I don't really enjoy those missions too much so I was wondering if I actually need to do them.

You should do them to finish sections of Mementos, as it opens up.

DoctorDake

Neo Member
Hmm, I guess I'll experiment later.. Is it normal to have many higher level shadows (the red glowing ones when scanned)? Even after fighting all of the shadows I still feel a little bit underleveled :/

The entire 2nd half of the first palace was red for me. Bear in mind, though, red doesn't mean you can't take them on. There are a bunch of level 16 enemies you fight when you're definitely not even level 10, but as long as you can ambush and take advantage of their weaknesses you'll easily kill them all before they get a single hit.

Kyougar

Hi guys,

sorry if it was already asked, but I didnt want to search the whole massive thread. so sorry if the questions were already answered.

I love persona 3 Fes and persona 4, played it hundreds of hours, but I dont want to buy a PS4 just for it.

But I have a PS3, so what other changes are there from the PS4 Version? Only the resolution and fps?
Does it work OK with the PS3?
I only found 4 DLC for the PS3 Version, will it get the other DLC from the PS4? (looked at it again, seems those for the ps4 are only themes)
and its 20€ cheaper

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
If you romance girls outside of the main party (NPCs) will it still punish you at some point later?

I.e. romancing Ann and Takemi at the same time for example

AzureFlame

Got the Platinum trophy, I'm the 2nd person in the world that platinums the English version of the game, i think the 1st one is a reviewer that got the copy month before release.

Regarding that Matador meme:

Man, I always wanted to play Nocture so bad but just never did. I'm not someone who could go back and play it now and enjoy it (even if it came to PS4 as a Classic) so it's just an experience I've missed out on in my life.

Chaos17

I feel like I am not getting enough social links and stat increases done. It feels like to many day are hijacked by the story and too many of the social links are locked to the stats.

Agree and after 30 hours, I think I'm gonna just drop the game because of that. Previous Personas were not that restrictive.

pablito

Ugh one of my friends, that I've been talking up the game to and convinced to buy it, just spoiled something that I think will be pretty important. I want to punch him.

Hi guys,

sorry if it was already asked, but I didnt want to search the whole massive thread. so sorry if the questions were already answered.

I love persona 3 Fes and persona 4, played it hundreds of hours, but I dont want to buy a PS4 just for it.

But I have a PS3, so what other changes are there from the PS4 Version? Only the resolution and fps?

Supposedly the aliasing is worse on the PS3 as well. I think also slower loading times. But feature-wise it's the same.

Outside of financial reasons, I don't know why anyone would hold off getting a PS4 at this point though. So many good games.

Man, I always wanted to play Nocture so bad but just never did. I'm not someone who could go back and play it now and enjoy it (even if it came to PS4 as a Classic) so it's just an experience I've missed out on in my life.

The art style makes it hold up pretty well. Mechanically it's a bit stiffer than newer titles, but it's still a great game.

light 5/21 spoilers
Man, this whole
Madarame
chapter is a low point in the franchise for me. He's a boring villain, I don't like
Yusuke
and I'm so frustrated that I haven't been able to make a single decision in hours. I'm almost done with the dungeon, I hope the game picks up after that.

Strangely enough, I played Nocturne on PS3 when it was released as a PSN classic, I had never heard about that meme and had no problem with Matador at all. And I'm not particularly good at SMT games, I had to finish SMT4 on easy. His reputation is very exaggerated.

DoctorDake

Neo Member
For anyone who's freaking out about not getting the perfect stat/Social Link progress, I've been following this guide, which supposedly will let me max all Confidants in a single run. Can't verify that it's accurate since I haven't finished yet, but it's good at pointing out the important bits each day so you don't miss out.

Also, it does expect you to clear palaces in a single day, so be aware.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74549

Frostman

Agree and after 30 hours, I think I'm gonna just drop the game because of that. Previous Personas were not that restrictive.

I agree with this as well. This is my first Persona, and after the 'tutorial' I was expecting the game to open up giving more freedom, as I was told by a couple of friends, but I'm now investigating the second dungeon and I still feel really restricted. I don't mind because I still think the game is fun, but I feel like im not levelling any stats or progressing well with any Confidants.

So I'm defeating the Heavenly Punisher boss for the third time because the difficulty of Shadows ramps up after the fight and I get ambushed by a randoms who all attack the protagonist.

So 2 shitty archaic ideas are converging at once:

1. If the protagonist gets knocked out, you lose, but everyone else is significantly less vulnerable and can be revived. But not you. You're immune to Phoenix down effects for no good reason at all.

2. When you die there's no option to restart the fight even when you've already spent your time and energy making it to the point you lost.....except for bosses. Atlus saw fit to let you retry bosses as naseum, but if you die to a rando barely seconds after said fight, you have to spend another 10 minutes getting to and fighting that same boss again. That's how my second attempt happened. My third came when the enemies became red and there still hadn't been a safe house after 20 minutes of gameplay.

This is bullshit. I shouldn't spend an hour replaying 20 minutes 3 times only because I failed at one part, with nothing to show for it. Not in this genre definitely, and definitely not in 2017.
It makes frustrating what otherwise is a great game.

Also the third attempt came about because I pressed X to go into another hiding spot but instead the character just stood up. -_-

Persona 4 didn't have this problem because bosses had their own floors and could be retried rather quickly with the old "restart floor" standard. It also didn't have long cutscenes, platforming, and it had checkpoints spaced properly with the floors being short.

Tl;dr The quality of life is shit in this game at times, and archaic, though so much of the game seems improved and somewhat modern.

Slaythe

Hi guys,

Does it work OK with the PS3?
I only found 4 DLC for the PS3 Version, will it get the other DLC from the PS4? (looked at it again, seems those for the ps4 are only themes)
and its 20€ cheaper

If you buy in the right places, the PS4 version isn't that much more expensive.

The PS3 version is pretty alright as far as I know ! Just worse load times.

But you might want to consider a PS4 for the various Japanese games that are worth playing ! So it wouldn't be just one game. If you're short on money, just get PS3 version, you should be fine.

So I'm defeating the Heavenly Punisher boss for the third time because the difficulty of Shadows ramps up after the fight and I get ambushed by a randoms who all attack the protagonist.

So 2 shitty archaic ideas are converging at once:

1. If the protagonist gets knocked out, you lose, but everyone else is significantly less vulnerable and can be revived. But not you. You're immune to Phoenix down effects for no good reason at all.

2. When you die there's no option to restart the fight even when you've already spent your time and energy making it to the point you lost.....except for bosses. Atlus saw fit to let you retry bosses as naseum, but if you die to a rando barely seconds after said fight, you have to spend another 10 minutes getting to and fighting that same boss again. That's how my second attempt happened. My third came when the enemies became red and there still hadn't been a safe house after 20 minutes of gameplay.

This is bullshit. I shouldn't spend an hour replaying 20 minutes 3 times only because I failed at one part, with nothing to show for it. Not in this genre definitely, and definitely not in 2017.
It makes frustrating what otherwise is a great game.

Also the third attempt came about because I pressed X to go into another hiding spot but instead the character just stood up. -_-
Happened to me too. Frustrating. There is no excuse for some of these decisions either. The game loves to keep ripping control from the player, too. I enjoy it and keep pushing through but i'm not sure how long I can keep doing this for.

JJShadow

Spoiler 5/20

Just recruited Yusuke for my team. I want to keep both Ryuji and Morgana for the dungeons, so question is: would you rather save the last spot for Yusuke or for Ann?

Audioboxer

Making blind choices in Persona games always stresses me out! Min/maxing social links with a guide needs to be saved for NG+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom