• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler 5/20

Just recruited Yusuke for my team. I want to keep both Ryuji and Morgana for the dungeons, so question is: would you rather save the last spot for Yusuke or for Ann?

You should already have or soon get a confidant that will keep your backup members earning XP, so you can switch them as needed. I'm sticking with Ann right now,
but it really depends on what kind of elemental coverage you have on MC at any given point.

LiK

It's a pretty major plot point :(

That sucks. Just gotta go with it. Thankfully, one of the joys with the Persona games is just the dialogue and interactions with the party members.

I got semi spoiled by a Persona 5 bot on Twitter. Probably the ending. Thankfully, the main stories are usually predictable so I try to look at it with a positive light. Been trying to avoid a bunch of minor spoilers on Twitter from people I follow who don't use hashtags I muted. So I've been forced to mute and unfollow people for being careless about it.

Opa-Pa

I do agree that throwing all those shadows at you right after defeating Archangel is unfair, but none of the other things are, let alone "archaic". Designing your game so people have go use all the mechanics in it to successfully make it to a goal and adding penalties for failing in the process is a legitimate thing to do and adds tension and a need for strategy and caution.

Letting you retry after every fight would trivialize literally all obstacles in the game so might as well just make the dungeons corridors with healing stations every ten steps lol. There's always safety difficulty if you are more into that.

Happened to me too. Frustrating. There is no excuse for some of these decisions either. The game loves to keep ripping control from the player, too. I enjoy it and keep pushing through but i'm not sure how long I can keep doing this for.

I'd be a lot more okay with this if the game wasn't so slow paced and hand holding, or if it had the spacing of checkpoints similar the P4G.

I most definitely not mind if the game were portable! If a game wastes my time when I'm bored or already waiting, that significantly less frustrating than if I set aside time to sit on a couch, at home, indoors, just to have that time wasted.

There's no excuse for this shit.
Especially when you're game is going to be 100+ hours as it is. Not sure how this shit makes it past QA/playtesting/the design team.

Hey, slightly off topic Persona question here.

I'm someone who likes to play through a series from it's origin. I bought Persona 1-4 a few years back. Only managed to beat the first one, it was quite the genre shock for me since I never really play JRPGs.

I purchased the Persona 5 CE as it was pretty affordable and the game has a tremendous artstyle, but now I'm glancing over at it every hour. My gut feeling is to play through 2, 3 and 4 before I hop into 5. But with the length of these games, I wont be able to start 5 for half a year.

Anyone else play through the series for the first time recently? How interesting will it be to see gameplay evolve through the iterations? any anecdotes related to this?

I'm someone who likes to play through a series from it's origin. I bought Persona 1-4 a few years back. Only managed to beat the first one, it was quite the genre shock for me since I never really play JRPGs.

I purchased the Persona 5 CE as it was pretty affordable and the game has a tremendous artstyle, but now I'm glancing over at it every hour. My gut feeling is to play through 2, 3 and 4 before I hop into 5. But with the length of these games, I wont be able to start 5 for half a year.

Anyone else play through the series for the first time recently? How interesting will it be to see gameplay evolve through the iterations? any anecdotes related to this?

Simply don't do that. Play 5. 4 is great too, so do that afterwards if you feel up to it, but don't burn yourself on the gameplay by drudging through 1-4 first.

Question. Just got back from GameStop with a copy of this game. Turns out it's the Japanese or Chinese (?) version. Region is PLAS. There aren't English subs or audio in this version, huh?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"you jelly?"

giphy.gif

This game is taking over my life. I'm taking a break before I go work out and all I can think about is playing more. Just started the 3rd palace.

Reminder since I'm seeing more minor spoilers in here lately.

Please spoiler (at least):
- story elements
- boss fights and Palace puzzles
- social links

And tag spoilers with the day it happens or the Palace it's in.
Thanks!

Palace 2 boss gave me a run for my money. I wasn't expecting that, especially since the first boss and most of Palace 2 overall felt much easier.

NIN90

So what's the word on difficulty settings? Beat P4G on hard (which is more akin to normal in vanilla P4) and I thought the challenge was just right.

Opa-Pa

I'd say if you want to enjoy them all, start from 1 for the older ones and from 3 for the newer ones. 1 and 2 are nothing like 3, 4 and 5, but all these games are good so if you don't want to "ruin" any of them for yourself, do it like that.

Kyougar

If you buy in the right places, the PS4 version isn't that much more expensive.

The PS3 version is pretty alright as far as I know ! Just worse load times.

But you might want to consider a PS4 for the various Japanese games that are worth playing ! So it wouldn't be just one game. If you're short on money, just get PS3 version, you should be fine.

Most of the japanese games I like are coming out on PC, even trails of cold steel and the atelier games. Atlus is one of the few still holding out.

I kinda get a bad case of buyers remorse even with the PS3 (of those games I bought full price). Most of the games I bought for it, came out on PC later and now most japanese games come out on PC.
Final Fantasy 13, 13-2, Valkyria Chronicles, dynasty warrior, Trails of cold steel, etc.

all new Atelier games come out on PC (only bought the PS3 ones on sales)
all new Tales games come out on PC (only bought the PS3 ones on sales)

Only ni no kuni, MGS4 and Star Ocean 4 are not on pc, and from those I only finished SO4.

Well, anyways dont want to preach or convert anyone, those are my own feelings. I bought the PS3 Version on the store and its downloading now. Maybe my last PS3 game.

DKL

So what's the word on difficulty settings? Beat P4G on hard (which is more akin to normal in vanilla P4) and I thought the challenge was just right.

Merciless is fairly autopilot if you're aware of the Persona flowchart (this game is actually somewhat reasonable since you seem to be able to stealth all the encounters and can practically force every encounter into a preemptive strike as oppose to what seemed kind of RNG-ish in the old games where I don't get the preemptive attack even after hitting a dude with my sword), but issues pop up once you get to the bosses.

(regular encounters seem to be balanced around the idea that you will be killed if you mess up the stealth or don't end the encounter after your party has taken its initial moves... which actually isn't bad and I've even come to a point where I managed to survive screwing stealth up or getting caught in a trap)

I've mostly breezed through the first two dungeons (remember to save often and you never really lose a lot of progress), but I've been cockblocked every time I get to the boss.

It's become apparent that the bosses rely on your party members having some specific skills to make the fights not awful... but, in the two dungeons I've done, my party members come in underleveled by like 2 levels, which I had to grind...

And the grind is actually not difficult: if you manage each engagement properly, you can grind 2 levels in two game days...

(I always frontload dungeon work and try to finish them ASAP... I think I spent like 4-5 days on dungeon 2?)

But it's fucking tedious and I'm not sure why they didn't make it so that you're somewhat near the level goal for the boss when you run a dungeon normally.

I've spent like 1-2 hours killing the same shit over and over just so that I could get a hold of these skills.

TL;DR, I like the encounter design on Merciless, but I don't like that it doesn't necessarily feed into what you need for the boss because of what I assume is the EXP distribution.

(which is even more annoying considering that the dungeons are hand crafted now)

That said, there seems to be some options to make EXP gain greater, so I'm currently experimenting with that...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I assume I cant control what
Morgana
does because its still in tutorial mode?

Voras

Minor Spoilers for the later parts of the first dungeon
When you fight that Mara looking mini-boss and Morgana shouts "It's Coming". I died laughing.

Not sure what difficulty people are playing but it seems like the game decides to kick your ass in the 3rd dungeon.

On normal I found the third dungeon to be one of the easiest in the game, the only time I felt any sort of increase in difficulty was right near the end.

LiK

You should watch Tokyo Mirage session then, intense fight too (mde by Atlus and it's a Persona like game)

TMS kicked my ass pretty hard a few times. When the enmy decides to spank you with Sessions, it's like instant death, lol

so far it's the right choice if you're familiar with smt (i'm in the 2nd dungeon). if you can manage your sp and use your full skillset it will be the right balance.

arimanius

Reminder since I'm seeing more minor spoilers in here lately.

Please spoiler (at least):
- story elements
- boss fights and Palace puzzles
- social links

And tag spoilers with the day it happens or the Palace it's in.
Thanks!

Yeah I've had to start really skimming and skipping posts since I've had a few things spoiled for me.

Kalentan

That feeling when you managed to get to the calling card part of the third palace on the first day... Damn. I was cutting it close though!

I do agree that throwing all those shadows at you right after defeating Archangel is unfair, but none of the other things are, let alone "archaic". Designing your game so people have go use all the mechanics in it to successfully make it to a goal and adding penalties for failing in the process is a legitimate thing to do and adds tension and a need for strategy and caution.

Letting you retry after every fight would trivialize literally all obstacles in the game so might as well just make the dungeons corridors with healing stations every ten steps lol. There's always safety difficulty if you are more into that.
Not being able to revive the MC is pretty archaic when you get enemies that all focus on him or 1shot him while you sit and watch 40mins go down the drain. Not being able to buy things or read on the train, etc. because the game forces VN time on you is lame. And I have no other word for the cover/Stealth system and camera besides archaic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom