• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva1991

Final boss was insane even on Easy. T_T

It was ridiculous lol. I remember the boss summoning minions over and over and over.

Fuck that boss.

Speaking of final bosses, I'm hoping this game's final boss is as good as Nyx Avatar. P4's final boss was a huge step down.

pixxxelz

Minor Spoilers for the later parts of the first dungeon
When you fight that Mara looking mini-boss and Morgana shouts "It's Coming". I died laughing.
Haha same, 😂 Ann was like "I've had enough of this place. Shame you can't take screenshots.

Qurupeke

Early Chapter 2 spoilers:

I wanted to date Makoto, but damn, her few appearances so far make her seem like a pretty bad person. I'm sure she'll change eventually, but she's literary the worst right now!

molnizzle

second Palace-ish

Does time pass
in Mementos
the same as
normal Metaverse
? Like, will I have to go to bed after I get back or will I still be able to watch a DVD first?

CSX

Just got to the treasure in 3rd dungeon in one day. I wasted all my SP sodas :p

I love those kind of puzzles. Lol at Ann
"This looks like algebra!" and Morgana responding "It's just simple addition..."

Meowster

5/22 spoilers:
Maybe? Kinda? This might be a strange question but is Yusuke gay? I noticed him saying that he wasn't attracted to Ann when we first met him and then Ryuji made some random comment about Yusuke staring at his ass. I was just curious.

Xeteh

Man, there are some annoyingly strong demons in the 4th Palace.

second Palace-ish

Does time pass
in Mementos
the same as
normal Metaverse
? Like, will I have to go to bed after I get back or will I still be able to watch a DVD first?

Its the same, you can't do anything once you leave.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I named my guy Reiji Sakuraba (it just seemed like it fit) but that's pretty close to Ryuji Sakamoto so now I keep getting them confused.

Got past the 3rd palace. Man this game is only just starting.

Makoto is awesome, favourite character thus far. Also really like Yusuke. He's like the Spock or Data in the group :p

5/22 spoilers:
Maybe? Kinda? This might be a strange question but is Yusuke gay? I noticed him saying that he wasn't attracted to Ann when we first met him and then Ryuji made some random comment about Yusuke staring at his ass. I was just curious.
Persona seems to love its almost gay but Jesus Christ not THAT gay characters

daveo42

Banned
I named my guy Reiji Sakuraba (it just seemed like it fit) but that's pretty close to Ryuji Sakamoto so now I keep getting them confused.

Ha...I actually used the last name Sakamoto for my MC and there have been a few times where I've gotten confused on which one is being referenced. But hey, that also means Ryuji and me are bros.

I wanted to date Makoto, but damn, her few appearances so far make her seem like a pretty bad person. I'm sure she'll change eventually, but she's literary the worst right now!

I mean the game makes it pretty clear that the principal
is just using her to snoop around the student body, because kids who can put pressure on the world's shittiest teacher to upset status quo and make him publicly confess all the stuff he was doing (which the school knew about) is bad for him. He even threatens that it would look bad on Sae should she fail. She's being a jerk but I feel pretty bad for her since I don't think she'd be that way otherwise.

Persona seems to love its almost gay but Jesus Christ not THAT gay characters

I will always remember you, Jun. ;~;

gun_haver

Just got it today and played a few hours.

Spoilers up to 4th April:

- It's all set up in an extremely similar way to P4 so far, down to the way the team comes together. Ryuji = Yosuke, Ann = Chie (including how she stumbles on them entering the other world). It all feels very familiar, with the good and bad.
- Dialogue choices felt aggressively pointless for the first couple of hours although people seem to be reacting to what I choose a bit more now, not clear on how you can determine a positive reaction yet but I'm pretty sure I've gotten a few negative ones. Mostly from Sojiro, but fuck him.
- I like the way it jumps into a serious story, which is basically of a teacher at a school being physically abusive of students and raping at least one of them, who then attempts suicide. Wasn't expecting that kind of subject matter at all, really - although, and this is kind of a negative, they really tiptoe around it all. Nobody ever says anything directly it's always 'did he really do that?' or 'i can't believe he would...' etc - but that's how Persona games operate. Everything is RUMOURS RUMOURS RUMOURS.
- I pretty much detest everybody except Ryuji (huge improvement on Yosuke as your best male buddy so far. They threw Yosuke, who I hated, and Kanji, who I really liked, into one person and the result is someone I kind of like) and Ann (she hasn't done too much yet but she's decent, curious to know more.)

I probably won't look at this thread too much cos even knowing little things like what sidequests there are, gameplay features, etc, is stuff I will discover just by playing it. So the only other thing I guess I'll say is that if you haven't played a Persona game before and find the introductory segment interminable, that's how these games work. I see some posts suggesting it might be even slower to open up than the others, but yeah, I'm in no rush really.

All seems to be good! Looking forward to crawling through this over the next few weeks/months.

light 5/21 spoilers
Man, this whole
Madarame
chapter is a low point in the franchise for me. He's a boring villain, I don't like
Yusuke
and I'm so frustrated that I haven't been able to make a single decision in hours. I'm almost done with the dungeon, I hope the game picks up after that.

I so agree. I came around a little bit on
Madarame as a villian
and
Yusuke as a character
by the time I actually completed the palace but still, with those characters, the plot developments, and the insane railroading of that month, it is (what I hope is) the low point of the game. The game has so much time left to wash away the mediocrity of this past chapter. I'm sure it will soon.

Still loving it for what it is. I mean, no game but Persona is Persona.

Finally getting some time to dig into this.

I want to skin Caroline alive and force her through a stump grinder while conscious. Is this normal?

Lovers Rank 4 spoilers:
I expected Ann to say "I'm going to become a supervillain!". I'd rather support that than her becoming an action movie star.
lol

Ourobolus

Banned
On hard mode, very beginning of Palace 3:

wow, this is a bit of a difficulty spike. Orobas sucks. They're weak to Hama but even after 6 casts it didn't hit. Wiped. Then I got Rampaged to death by an Oni the next time. Time to suit up with Personas again.

Recall

In palace 1 and I've just got the
medal to unlock the passage way from the shrine.
I'm low on SP is this a fine point to leave heal up and then re-enter?

I have no idea how to even heal up SP beyond items and my melee attacks are just too weak to rely on them :/

I do agree that throwing all those shadows at you right after defeating Archangel is unfair, but none of the other things are, let alone "archaic". Designing your game so people have go use all the mechanics in it to successfully make it to a goal and adding penalties for failing in the process is a legitimate thing to do and adds tension and a need for strategy and caution.

Letting you retry after every fight would trivialize literally all obstacles in the game so might as well just make the dungeons corridors with healing stations every ten steps lol. There's always safety difficulty if you are more into that.

It's not that there shouldn't be penalties. It's at those penalty should be reasonable and consistent. I was OK with the penalties and persona 4 for example. However the amount of real world time it took to complete a floor in persona 4 is very different in the mound of time it takes to move from one safe room to another.

The difficulty also is not what matters. I do fine in at least 99% of fights on the normal difficulty. The checkpoint/save structure is not difficulty.
In facts the difficulty is easier than 4 and 3 in my opionion.
Having to backtrack to safe rooms because I simply want to take a break from playing isn't difficult. It's just unnecessary and lazy design.

The fights are fine. They give away the strategies to you more easily than the Rise scans in 4. The stealth is too easy, though the controls for t mhose particular mechanics aren't the best.
It's simply some quality of life design being poor.

Shouta

But I can't still fight them for xp?

If you run into them from the front, you should be able to,

5/22 spoilers:

Yusuke gets quite flustered with Ann too in that one sequence before the start of Dungeon 2. Even if you say something, your reactions don't lie. =P. Yusuke's more the, "I appreciate beauty in any form." type of guy really.

Random conspiracy theory: Was John Hardin forced out of Atlus because he was too friendly with the fans (siding with fans on things like blocked screenshots, etc)? We don't know the circumstances of his leaving, right?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
second Palace-ish

Does time pass
in Mementos
the same as
normal Metaverse

Times does pass, and you will be too tired after coming out until
you rank up the Temperance S,link

In the first month (April) there's a P4 Easter Egg that I found interesting, related to an item you get in the Protagonist's room:
The TV in your room reports on people's excitement over the new Detective Prince. It mentions that the previous one was Naoto Shirogane, but nothing further.
A very minor reference but I'm glad to have some kind of timeline in my head now.

20XX was really bothering me, lol.
I'm watching someone fighting the first boss on hard and it's intense as hell. I don't remember P3 on hard being this intense.

Bosses are a categorical jump in quality, much like the dungeons so far. At least, based on the first dungeon.

They really knocked it out of the park, in terms of design.

pablito

I was just like you

Decided Makoto would be the girl before I started the game, then she was a nuisance when she showed up. You're hunch is right, though.

Vague spoiler of the start of her confidant (rank 2 max I think)

You take her out, and she was cute. I'm back on the train.

This is a bit waifu territory though so I'll stop.

Ydelnae

The second chapter feels boring because
caring about Madarame as a villain when the first villain sexual harassed one of the protagonists, beat students and raped another one is difficult. Madarame was just a famous artist giving false PR and copying his students.

When Yusuke and Ann found the original painting I thought they would reveal that he killed that student who tried to leave with the painting and ended up committing suicide. That would have solidified him as a villain.

CSX

Man who would have thought that adding two extra elements (nuclear and psychic) would make covering for all elements so much harder....

Since my party members so far only cover one element, my character is basically draining mp nonstop which led me to using all my SP sodas. Doesn't really help either when a good chunk of demons in the 3rd dungeon are resistant to physical attacks. I really hope the 4th dungeon changes that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
about 3 hours in, which I guess in a persona game is literally nothing. Still, really enjoying it. All the adults in this game are garbage. Got my bro on with Ryuji, visited the palace a couple of times (still in tutorial mode tho, I imagine that much like P4, it gets to a point where you have to get ready to assault it for realsies). Art and character design continues to be fantastic in these games tho. Its also probably the most stylish game I've ever seen, it actually surpasses the usual suspects like the DMC games, or Bayonetta / Vanquish and whatnot.

I got a
chariot link with Ryuji
, I have no idea what the fuck that means lol >_<

jediyoshi

level up tae -> buy sp adhesive 3 for cheap -> put it on mc -> free 7-9 sp per turn -> oh my god i can stay in this palace forever

The hardest thing to get used to in this game is the pacing. The story parts are so much longer so I constantly feel like I'm running out of time for Confidants even though I know I'll have enough in the end.

DNAbro

The second chapter feels boring because
caring about Madarame as a villain when the first villain sexual harassed one of the protagonists, beat students and raped another one is difficult. Madarame was just a famous artist giving false PR and copying his students.

When Yusuke and Ann found the original painting I thought they would reveal that he killed that student who tried to leave with the painting and ended up committing suicide. That would have solidified him as a villain.

you haven't finished it yet correct?

Fuck off, Morgana! Let me do stuff!

wd01oaEqNAQaO49qGh65wkCOp4M4XMpc9i2BSdTInv12wgtNLLIfIZcBgqHOrF4vwu7hyMSrx7UlTrgmsFWZb5zYNL5JbzGW3fTc6HU397gISMsYNd-8JTXq_Jqnj50AqzWqzK_y3f4VupgAdR7h-V6xMo_tRJ1kxcCQr-tIa80JsNG5Q4Wgz05cgehzN5aJR6pEdJ_dSdeWE5u_DUAa_Beudvu-vUOEbSqtUEIL7kVCDV9EWwi-M7KbS8ZRiJfuklVCgfWyUYDx3Kq41KAqCExxpCXL81DfWagEeezU6maTr4ck9CMI2SfigLx_Nnnpubft363Mo-zw8Cpg0KBb9SodAjj1aX0dRUegz_REff8cJwf9ySax5i5xr6wTy8XlF14D4R2M-2h2j1LHfhKIlVGqHooJp2WcNO6AqOeXjm5D9go2uW_BRzYVKes5zShP6ihsKVV_8FRvtwiIuKA_qyv0YXaB4Jhwd7R8VQu_oslhymOji8pYt_NRwhcqcNIRQzdpQOyYRuXlUDVxzUQoF3WGiDDU80wHBBacteC84Ank6dC5V8OnVmCilnRWLcpyTdGis8Vn1oeRlTVnOMFaGvsFwdTs08MkZufmKmGZfrfr0Cb6pNQ4=w633-h356-no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom