• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Should I be going to palaces as soon as they unlock, or should I be using that time to strengthen relationships and then trying to clear the palace on the very last day before the deadline?
Don't wait till then because it actually takes an extra day (or two) more than you think. Better to do it earlier but it doesn't have to be the very first day or anything.

Just remember to try to make it as far as you can until you're out of SP or HP before exiting since time doesn't advance until you exit. The worst thing you could do is spending eight days in a dungeon (for example) if you can do it in just two as that waists six days you could be doing other things.

Mediking

SP management is more brutal than time management. You walk in a Palace with SP and a few battles later... you're already scrambling to win. Lol it especially hurts when tons of enemies appear and you fight them because you need the rewards... but your SP tank just keeps going lower and lower...

Zolo

This is all great advice except as a player how on earth am I supposed to know this and be able to see my options without resorting to to guides?

I get the feeling if I don't read a guide now about min/maxing my time I'm going to be punished later!
Eh. Just do what I do with Persona games. Look up general tips, but otherwise, do what you want. I didn't max s. links in the previous games, and it doesn't bother me. I'd rather do that than following the same answers and guides as everyone.

Hey so hard mode is agreed to be hard right? Or do I just suck

It can be rough. Generally, make sure to have all elemental skills if possible since you'll be looking to essentially end the battle as soon as possible which'll require all-out attacks. I haven't fought a boss yet, but based on past SMT games, make sure to have buffs and debuffs at the ready.

SP management is more brutal than time management. You walk in a Palace with SP and a few battles later... you're already scrambling to win. Lol it especially hurts when tons of enemies appear and you fight them because you need the rewards... but your SP tank just keeps going lower and lower...
Still need to send out the calling card, but so far, it took me 3 trips.

Freeman76

Heh, people are really bent out of shape over that. I guess I'm used to it from playing P4. While it doesn't bother me, here's a recommendation for the next thread title:

Persona 5 |OT2| Got To Bed, Inmate!

It felt like P4 wasnt as restrictive as this but maybe Im not remembering it right though.

I thought it would eventually open up and stop restricting me all the time but im starting to lose hope that thats the case. This cat is gonna end my game lol.
I'm only on the 2nd dungeon myself, lol. So to be fair the game is supposed to open up after the 2nd dungeon so we'll see. Even with the time BS, I'm lovin' every minute of this game.

ckohler

Do the bosses or mid-bosses ever have any elemental weaknesses? I get the impression they are only hurt by physical attacks.

Ulong

Is this game like persona 4 where you can date all the girls with no consequence, or persona 3 where you risked social link reversals and what not?
Asking because I'm a bad person.

This is all great advice except as a player how on earth am I supposed to know this and be able to see my options without resorting to to guides?

I get the feeling if I don't read a guide now about min/maxing my time I'm going to be punished later!

The last thing you should worry about is min/maxing.

As a newcomer you don't need to understand all of the systems at the start. That's what's so great about the games. They are so huge and dense that you can discover something at hour 30 or 40 and still have half the game left to put it into practice.

Just play naturally. You will still have a great experience.

suzu

After getting the Invigorate 3 accessory, it's much easier to do a palace in a day. Glad I grinded the
Death confidant to 7 for the discounted price too

Yeah, this it what I exactly felt. It hurts even more when you're ambushed with 4 enemies, not only scrambling to damage the enemy but also with healing.

In my first dungeon run I *think* I was using my SP pretty conservatively, but by the time I fight the first miniboss everyone only has like 3 SP left.

End up throwing all my loot money to buy Chakra Chokers ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Just want to say, I saw a friend playing this today and I geeked out seeing the subway station.

It was just as I remembered them being during my trip to Japan last year. :)

I may buy it based on that and the undeniable style it has. Never played Persona 1-4. Does it matter?

So where should I be going to max my stats? I've been reading, and studying, but apparently this guy is really dense. I read some gross book on negging and my charm went up one point.. I'd like to be able to continue on with the Death and Lovers links. I know I'm just out of the first dungeon but I feel so restricted, time wise. Plus super long palaces? I just don't want to have to go follow one of those micromanaging guides and not have any fun at all

Yeah. The most frustrating thing for me has actually been the Persona experience points. I'm still early in the game, but I'm having to fuse Personas before they're even close to leveling. Maybe it's because I'm on Hard mode, but it's a weird adjustment to not really be able to level up Personas in a timely manner. Maybe that'll change later in the game.

Sophia

Normal has some rough moments so yeah, I'd be really surprised if hard wasn't a huge pain. I've seen others struggling with it as well.

Hard mode is definitely a step above Persona 3 and Persona 4's hard difficulty settings. It's well balanced for the most part, but it pulls no punches with one/two shotting you if you're not prepared.

Freeman76

I'm only on the 2nd dungeon myself, lol. So to be fair the game is supposed to open up after the 2nd dungeon so we'll see. Even with the time BS, I'm lovin' every minute of this game.

Haha in the 2nd dungeon when you get split up I was hoping you could just leave the cat stuck in there for the rest of the game :)

The last thing you should worry about is min/maxing.

As a newcomer you don't need to understand all of the systems at the start. That's what's so great about the games. They are so huge and dense that you can discover something at hour 30 or 40 and still have half the game left to put it into practice.

Just play naturally. You will still have a great experience.

This needs to be restated every few pages. The fun for me is doing what I feel like doing and seeing how it turns out. Not a bit concerned with maxing anything.

Side note: I love seeing both Igor and Jack Frost in this engine.

Lusankya

Well, the game will show you these options and after you have tried them you will know that e.g. studying in the diner gives you knowledge + a bonus stat for only a couple hundred yen, while studying at home only gives you knowledge.

Also you don't have to be perfect to finish the game and you don't need to max all confidants during the first playthrough anyways. Even if you want the trophy you can just get it on new game+ as there are exclusive trophies there.

The fun for me is doing what I feel like doing and seeing how it turns out.

image.php

;) Totally agree though. I already wrote about minmaxing a few pages back so I won't rehash, but Persona games are best played the first time through however you want to roleplay the character and not worrying about following guides. Everyone has a slightly different experience and I think that's a good thing.

Phatmac

Ryuji's the best. He's my ace right now in battles and his SL his great so far. Finally glad to have beaten the first dungeon. Now it's time for some Slice of life.

So where should I be going to max my stats? I've been reading, and studying, but apparently this guy is really dense. I read some gross book on negging and my charm went up one point.. I'd like to be able to continue on with the Death and Lovers links. I know I'm just out of the first dungeon but I feel so restricted, time wise. Plus super long palaces? I just don't want to have to go follow one of those micromanaging guides and not have any fun at all
What specific day are you on?

All these I found so far:
[Spoiler for mechanics/location Stat builders]

I was on the subway one morning and overheard 'Broke-Ass College Student' talk about the Big Burger Bang 500 Yen Special, somewhere in May (Perhaps 5 or 6). I'm sure that acts as the Rainy Day Beef Bowl from P4/Golden. Haven't tried it myself but you should take a look. It's in the Central Street in Shibuya. Pretty sure it's RANDOM STATS.

Next: Go to the bath in the evening on Mon. and Thurs. for greater boost in gain. - CHARM

Rainy Days are the best time to improve stats because there are extra points given for the weather. - CHOICE OF STATS

Books need to be bought at the bookstore and are free at the library. You have a chance to read on the subway in the morning. - CHOICE OF STATS

If you have internet, connect to the Thieves Guild, use the gamepad button on the DS4 to look at the correct answers during classtime. - INTELLIGENCE

Clean your room and buy plant stuff for your plant in your room. Taking care of it will give boosts and you can take care of it on Dungeon Days - KINDNESS

Go to the cinema in Shibuya, Central Street,
tickets are about 1.5 to 2 K Yen and watching a movie for the first time seems to give great stat boosts, depending on the movie. - RANDOM STATS

Edit: Properly Tagged.

//ARCANUM

Need help. I'm on 4/21. I want to find Ann to grow the social link but I can't find her. When I check the rail map, it says she's at Yongen-Jaya but I've gone everywhere and can't find her and it doesn't say specifically where she is. Any ideas?

Edit - nvm it said "takemi" the doctor. I'm dumb.

Ostinatto

Need help. I'm on 4/21. I want to find Ann to grow the social link but I can't find her. When I check the rail map, it says she's at Yongen-Jaya but I've gone everywhere and can't find her and it doesn't say specifically where she is. Any ideas?

I think she is in the underground mall.

Try the Shibuya Underground Mall.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think tinfoilhat bolded his post instead of spoiler tagging it lol.

Im not fussed since its just mechanics stuff not story but im sure someone will mind.

Nimby

Banned

She goes to the Underground Mall in Shibuya.

Also, dungeon 3 on hard is ROUGH. This game kinda sits with Strange Journey for me in terms of difficulty.

MTC100

Banned
Well I kinda got my stats straight now, I completely ignored most social links though, now my guts are at 3 as well as knowledge and the other will be 3 too soon I think, second exams will be aced for sure!

I don't really like the way the game forces you to make a decision about what to pursue, the SL stuff is much more interesting but I also want and need my stats high enough to do them. The second dungeon was nicely done I think, it felt a lot smaller than the first one and when Mona said we were about half way through I thought it might be as big but the later stages of it went by in a breeze. The conclusion was nice but didn't hit as hard as the first dungeon, not yet at least.

I also guess I figured out who the other Persona users might turn out to be by now, the slow pace new ones are shown is a bit of a shame though, I believe it went by much quicker with P4. Though that might be because the dungeons itself were quite a bit smaller I guess. I don't really like the new member of the team, so I will still stick with my old, awesome team, that I've been working from the beginning.

Also, dungeon 3 on hard is ROUGH. This game kinda sits with Strange Journey for me in terms of difficulty.

I don't think hard is meant for your first playthrough though, unless you like to grind like a madman, I downloaded the merciless difficulty but I guess that will be quite insane so I didn't even try it yet...

What specific day are you on?

All these I found so far:
[Spoiler for mechanics/location Stat builders]

I was on the subway one morning and overheard 'Broke-Ass College Student' talk about the Big Burger Bang 500 Yen Special, somewhere in May (Perhaps 5 or 6). I'm sure that acts as the Rainy Day Beef Bowl from P4/Golden. Haven't tried it myself but you should take a look. It's in the Central Street in Shibuya. Pretty sure it's RANDOM STATS.

Next: Go to the bath in the evening on Mon. and Thurs. for greater boost in gain. - CHARM

Rainy Days are the best time to improve stats because there are extra points given for the weather. - CHOICE OF STATS

Books need to be bought at the bookstore and are free at the library. You have a chance to read on the subway in the morning. - CHOICE OF STATS

If you have internet, connect to the Thieves Guild, use the gamepad button on the DS4 to look at the correct answers during classtime. - INTELLIGENCE

Clean your room and buy plant stuff for your plant in your room. Taking care of it will give boosts and you can take care of it on Dungeon Days - KINDNESS

Go to the cinema in Shibuya, Central Street,
tickets are about 1.5 to 2 K Yen and watching a movie for the first time seems to give great stat boosts, depending on the movie. - RANDOM STATS

Edit: Properly Tagged.
Thanks. I'm on 5/6 so I just heard about the burger thing and will be able to try it soon, I'll go see a movie for now and take care of my plants.I'm not looking for a 100% play through, but eh, I hat having a bunch half assed S.links all over. I'd rather max fewer in one playthrough than open a bunch and not get them done

THE MOVIE OMG
The Cake Knight Rises
everything about this is perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom