• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Face-fucking-palm. Thanks!

Mmhmm.

Man, I am so glad I'm doing a Full Confidant first playthrough because on my next playthrough I so want to just choose nothing but asshole or joke answers. Some of them are just too good and I want to see the reactions so bad.

"She thought I was like a robot..."
"BEEP BOOP"

Opa-Pa

So Makoto is fucking awesome just as expected, I'm glad. Her friendship with Ann is just a joy to watch too, I love these two.

Wait until you're in Palace mode ("X many days until X") to really plan stuff out. You can't rely on the in-between time.

I believe they don't register unless you see the animation where you get a new mask, which doesn't happen until you replace a persona for it. I could be wrong tho.

Sae is the worst.

That scene with Makoto is just nasty :/

Griss

I don't like how Morgana is this constant filter of your acts. In Persona 3 and 4, if you tried to do something after fighting, you're character would say that he is too tired. In Persona 5, Morgana tells you that you're too tired. That kinda bugs me even though the result is the same.

I agree with this. It feels like rather than bending to the whims of your characters natural tiredness or mental state, you have a babysitter ordering you around. I'd have preferred them to leave it the old way "I'm not up to this after a whole day of adventuring" etc etc

sn00zer

Sure, I think that's kind of a natural response for a really long game that's structured in a serialized manner. I took a long break before finishing P3 and shorter ones throughout P4, returning for binges when I was in the mood for Persona again. Kept me from getting burnt out.

On the other hand I set aside Tokyo Mirage Sessions after 20 hours or so and haven't gone back yet. But personally I'm feeling P5 to a degree that I don't want to put it down, while also wanting to savor my playthrough. Feeling like it'll be the first in the series I don't take an extended break during.

Hmmmm. Think Ill wait til its $20 in a few years then. Although one question. I inadvertently got P4s story spoiled for me with the fighting game character announcements. Does P5 have anything like P4 where "XXXX is the killer"?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't like how Morgana is this constant filter of your acts. In Persona 3 and 4, if you tried to do something after fighting, you're character would say that he is too tired. In Persona 5, Morgana tells you that you're too tired. That kinda bugs me even though the result is the same.

The Velvet Room in P5 is a prison.

That is all.

Saprol

Hmmmm. Think Ill wait til its $20 in a few years then. Although one question. I inadvertently got P4s story spoil for me since it is super easy to spoil "XXXXX is the killer". Does P5 have anything like this?
Sure. I've already had a late-game identity spoiled from reading this OT.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I'm on the date off 6/16, game want me to go to the back alley behind the arcade for 'further investigation' but there's nothing there ?

Is it the same place as where the gun shop is ? Or somewhere else ?

Weiss

Banned
I found out that if you try to recruit a Persona you already had previously and say "There's no need for that" when they try to initiate a conversation, they seem to join automatically.

Chances are it's a coin flip though.

Mediking

Hmmmm. Think Ill wait til its $20 in a few years then. Although one question. I inadvertently got P4s story spoiled for me with the fighting game character announcements. Does P5 have anything like P4 where "XXXX is the killer"?

You should not be asking story related questions....

One thing that bugs me about this (and 3 and 4) is how little presence your character ultimately has in conversations and dialogs. It feels as if Ryuji's the main character at times and you're his imaginary friend everyone can see. Make him speak, Atlus, he has a great voice.

Opa-Pa

I found out that if you try to recruit a Persona you already had previously and say "There's no need for that" when they try to initiate a conversation, they seem to join automatically.

Chances are it's a coin flip though.

I've had it work every time I've tried, so I think it's a 100% chance thing. I actually expected this since SMT4A already implemented something similar, and you don't want to annoy beginners when re-introducing negotiations in Persona, I guess.

molnizzle

believe they don't register unless you see the animation where you get a new mask, which doesn't happen until you replace a persona for it. I could be wrong tho.

Mask animation happens first, which is why I wondered if I had to replace or not.

Guess I'll find out after this Mementos run.

Ydelnae

I'm on the date off 6/16, game want me to go to the back alley behind the arcade for 'further investigation' but there's nothing there ?

Is it the same place as where the gun shop is ? Or somewhere else ?

Check the central street map, there should be a gym icon in the alley that you're supposed to inspect. If anything shows up, talk with Ann at the station square and then head back there.

One thing that bugs me about this (and 3 and 4) is how little presence your character ultimately has in conversations and dialogs. It feels as if Ryuji's the main character at times and you're his imaginary friend everyone can see. Make him speak, Atlus, he has a great voice.

I like how your friends send paragraphs worth of texts and then you're just like "yup".

Griss

Silent protags are always the worst and persona is no different.

Where it's worst, though, is in the soul links. What could be really well-written stuff always falls flat because it's essentially one person talking about their issues with thin air. Game would be infinitely better if the protag responded like a real person.

Weiss

Banned
I've had it work every time I've tried, so I think it's a 100% chance thing. I actually expected this since SMT4A already implemented something similar, and you don't want to annoy beginners when re-introducing negotiations in Persona, I guess.

I only found out about it in the fourth dungeon so one wonders why it's the secondary choice rather than being automatic when you pick "Lend me your power."

Saprol

Thanks!

Another quick question, if the games tells me "I don't think my bond will deepen yet" with someone it's pointless hanging out with them I guess?
That means you're missing enough points to hit the next level so you'll have to spend more than one session with them. It won't improve otherwise.

Agreed. This game kind of feels like...Persona-lite? Or rather a kid's version of Persona. Not sure how to word it, but with so much of the dialogue being on the nose, the hand holding, and linear gameplay (4 hours in and can hardly do my own thing) I just feel like something here is very off.

kadotsu

Banned
Thanks!

Another quick question, if the games tells me "I don't think my bond will deepen yet" with someone it's pointless hanging out with them I guess?

Pro tip to save some time: Use R1 quick travel and press Square in the train overview to see where Confidants are and if they are about to level up.

With the worldwide shipments crossing 1.5 mil, the incredible Metacritic, and the updated assets and engine, what're the genuine chances we get another Persona within 3 years? Like the 3 --> 4 turnover but with a little more time for longer current gen development cycles.

Mediking

Agreed. This game kind of feels like...Persona-lite? Or rather a kid's version of Persona. Not sure how to word it, but with so much of the dialogue being on the nose, the hand holding, and linear gameplay (4 hours in and can hardly do my own thing) I just feel like something here is very off.

Persona-lite????

Lmao you have no idea whats about to happen!!!

Hang in there!

Saprol

Reliving the awful days of mashing cancel in the velvet room. I'd keep going but I'm running low on money.

GAKUI8A.png

I wouldn't call it Persona-lite, the story is a great deal more mature than its predecessors. That, and save points in dungeons and a pseudo-quicksave feature in the overworld is very much apprciated. But I will agree on the handholding and railroading.

Also, question, is it possible to win in the lottery?

Beginning of May.... Could you just please let me have one freaking day to myself? Sigh.

What worse is the game constantly reminding you to study, yet they just throw story related stuff at you.

So I cannot get Personas in a hold up if they are a higher level than I, correct?

Correct. You'll get an item instead.

With the worldwide shipments crossing 1.5 mil, the incredible Metacritic, and the updated assets and engine, what're the genuine chances we get another Persona within 3 years? Like the 3 --> 4 turnover but with a little more time for longer current gen development cycles.

I'm hoping Golden Playhouse game 2019, Persona 6 2021.

I wouldn't call it Persona-lite, the story is a great deal more mature than its predecessors. That, and save points in dungeons and a pseudo-quicksave feature in the overworld is very much apprciated. But I will agree on the handholding and railroading.

Persona-lite????

Lmao you have no idea whats about to happen!!!

Hang in there!
Not in terms of story and such. Some dark things have already happened. But I feel like while some elements are up to Persona snuff, others are...watered down? Honestly, it is the dialogue and characters that are hurting this game the most for me. That isn't to say I don't like them---I really do. But I am tired of hearing the same talking points over-and-over. The way they talk sometimes feels very unnatural, not necessarily from word choice either. I'm not doing a great job explaining, but I'm playing right now and will post if something concrete pops up I can put my finger on.

Opa-Pa

Funny that someone would call this Persona-lite because not only IMO it's a huge step up in writing compared to 3 and 4, but this is the first time a modern Persona game doesn't feel like "SMT but easier and way more basic" and is actually on par with the better ones mechanically. Hand-holding aside, P5 is incredible.

I in normal circumstances it'd be a given, but Hashino and other staff migrating to Atlus' fantasy RPG project and most of the mechanics in P5 being closely tied to the theme lf phantom thieves, I think it wouldn't be that easy to make a P6 unless it was either a sequel of 5 or a game with another group of thieves?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Is Yusuke Confidant obligatory or missable? just want to know if its one or the other.

It'll open up. Once it does it'll pretty much just be like the others.

Not in terms of story and such. Some dark things have already happened. But I feel like while some elements are up to Persona snuff, others are...watered down? Honestly, it is the dialogue and characters that are hurting this game the most for me. That isn't to say I don't like them---I really do. But I am tired of hearing the same talking points over-and-over. The way they talk sometimes feels very unnatural, not necessarily from word choice either. I'm not doing a great job explaining, but I'm playing right now and will post if something concrete pops up I can put my finger on.

At the very least I can't think k of a single thing Persona 4 does better than 5 right now other than opening up sooner.

Kinsei

Banned
Just finished the exams. I hope my knowledge stat was high enough to ace them.

Quick question about Mementos:
I assume you are a good enough level for the next palace if you can make it to the current blockade. Am I right?

So I cannot get Personas in a hold up if they are a higher level than I, correct?

Correct. They'll give you an item and then run away instead of joining you.

Kuro

I cant stop laughing at the end of the 2nd palace.
They referenced the crying Japanese politician meme hahahahahaha

StoneFox

Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I picked up Persona 5 last night.

That was a mistake, I have to work all day today and only got 2 hours in last night ;_; I'm going to be distracted all day thinking about it...

Fantastic game so far though, it definitely is more engaging than Persona 4's first two hours, but I never minded P4's slow burn in the first place.

At the very least I can't think k of a single thing Persona 4 does better than 5 right now other than opening up sooner.
I'm the opposite. I miss all the characters from 4. I can't think of anything I enjoy more on 5 more than 3 or 4 yet. We'll see though...I've beaten almost every SMT, and I plan to beat this too.

Ryuji's constant yelling and being an ass has not been enjoyable for me.

Ok. Back to playing.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Recruiting higher levels requires an ability unlocked by a confidant. Otherwise they'll just leave you with a junk item or something.
That's what I thought, thanks.

Also is their in order to the answers? Like serious on top, vague in the middle and joking on the bottom or is it random. Sometimes it is hard to tell which is which.

Unless they get a new director for sure, cause hashino is doing a new ip.. if not well it's going to be awhile.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Game is awesome but damn I wish I could force Ryuji to shut the hell up during some of the cutscenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom