• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So I've never played other Persona games before so I'm not aware of how it works here. But is there any point at all in maxing out a relationship and dating someone? From what I have heard, despite the mature themes in this game the romance is very PG-13. The conversations you get while you romance someone is barely any different to the conversations you'll have with your other friends. Someone said (and I don't know how true it is) that they don't even show the MC and his partner kiss. I'm not saying they should go full a on softcore ala Bioware games quite the opposite actually, I'm more arguing about what's the point of having romance in a game if it's barely distinguishable from other friendship and others don't acknowledge it?

They're highschool students. You can't exactly go the Bioware route y'know.

Also maxing Confidant ranks, romance or no romance, gives you very beneficial abilities.

BouncyFrag

If you're looking to play this as your first Persona game DO NOT use a guide.

This isn't an open world game, the shit in it isn't a checklist for you to mark off and accomplish so you can get a gold star. The whole point is to pursue what you want to, fuck up and maybe go down different paths. Just play how you want and let shit happen. It's okay to not max everything and get the platinum trophy.

Let go of that feeling of missing all that a game has to offer and realize some games aren't really designed for you to experience everything.
Good to read. I just started last night and it's a bit overwhelming this being my first Persona game.

nOoblet16

Finished the second dungeon. Somewhat it felt easier than the first. Boss was underwhelming too I didnt get to do rhe gimmick because he died so fast lol.

Now I have to grind them moneys to max temperance asap. I need my freedom.
That's not really possible though, you can't kill the boss before the gimmick shows up because it's activation is directly tied to his health and it will pop up as soon as you get to 2/3 health of the boss. I can't see how you could have killed
all the paintings in one turn
. If you did then perhaps up the difficulty now.

BigAT

Am I missing something or are you allowed to actually use the level 20+ DLC Personas even when you're only like level 5?

Dantis

Literally just finished naming my group. I enjoyed the buffet scene.

The soundtrack is much more subdued than p4 and 3, but it's hitting a lot of the right notes for me.

Layer Cake (gun shop theme) and Butterfly Kiss (clinic theme) are both incredible. This is all the stuff I love about Meguro in one soundtrack. I wish there were more vocal tracks, but the overall quality is astounding. Hell, there was a small loop that played when you pick your group name that really struck a chord with me.

My biggest issue with the OST is that there isn't enough of it. There's a lot of great stuff in there, but it all repeats too much.

The biggest thing is the walking around tracks. Not enough of them.

Venfayth

While the main dialogue in this game hasn't done much better about acknowledging your girlfriend, I've already had a couple opportunities to spend time with my girlfriend during the main storyline - whereas if you don't have a SO you'd be forced to spend it with Ryuji.

Or so it seems to me.

Opa-Pa

So I've never played other Persona games before so I'm not aware of how it works here. But is there any point at all in maxing out a relationship and dating someone? From what I have heard, despite the mature themes in this game the romance is very PG-13. The conversations you get while you romance someone is barely any different to the conversations you'll have with your other friends. Someone said (and I don't know how true it is) that they don't even show the MC and his partner kiss. I'm not saying they should go full a on softcore ala Bioware games quite the opposite actually, I'm more arguing about what's the point of having romance in a game if it's barely distinguishable from other friendship and others don't acknowledge it?

You can do it just because you're curious about their stories and to unlock their arcana's special Persona for fusion (assuming that's still a thing). I imagine you must get abilities as well.

The higher the rank, the bigger the exp bonus when fusing personas of their arcana too.

solaaire

Neo Member
I shoulda used a fucking guide for this. At this rate I'll have to do a second playthrough for all the Confidants.

I enjoy the confidant/social link stuff quite a bit, but I could not imagine doing a second play through just to get em all. I find it quite satisfying to use the "Everyone's Activity Log" in order to gauge what activities exist that I've yet to unlock, and then attempting to suss out how to obtain them on my own. Overall it feels like a pretty organic way of guiding the player.

Also I cannot believe it took me 20 hours to realize that
you can use the activity log to view other people's answers to the classroom questions.
rip knowledge.

MSMrRound

Am I missing something or are you allowed to actually use the level 20+ DLC Personas even when you're only like level 5?

You can. The first summoning from the Velvet room is free, but let's say if you fuse it/threw it away and want to resummon it next time, it's gonna cost you some hefty pile of yen.

The downside to using DLC Personas early on is that their skills uses too much SP, and you are really not at that level to support the full potential of its usage just yet.

Also, having the DLC Persona will mean taking up 1/6 of your initial Persona slots so you will find yourself running out of space to store new Personas real fast.

god fucking damn it

these fucking cavalry men in the first dungeon. spent multiple attempts fighting a gang of them to get into the
tower
. i get in and i'm looking for a save point and instead i find an elevator that goes down. i go down then get hit with a surprise ambush and what do you know it's 3 cavalry men.

hard mode has been really easy so far outside of this one particular enemy. especially since there's no one else that can exploit ice weaknesses at the moment.

Dragner

That's not really possible though, you can't kill the boss before the gimmick shows up because it's activation is directly tied to his health and it will pop up as soon as you get to 2/3 health of the boss. I can't see how you could have killed

I can say is totally possible. I killed him after the second cycle of weakness the gimmick comes after the third. My trick was having a persona with heavy physical multiattacks and going all in without healing.

nOoblet16

Also maxing Confidant ranks, romance or no romance, gives you very beneficial abilities.
That's not a good reason there, do high school students not kiss or what? :p They are high school students dealing with mature themes, who can also date people twice their age and teachers in the game. If it was as simple as them being high school students then you wouldn't be able to do that. Beside we are taking about 16-17 year olds...not 12 year olds.

Beside, I explicitly said I am not talking about wanting a Bioware route. I'm talking about it showing up in conversations, cutscenes and interaction with others because that would make it feel more natural than having a cutscene on valentine's day where they exchange chocolates, as a reward for hitting max level.

I didn't get to see it either till I watched my brother do it. (
Tarukaja on Ryuji + Rakunda on Madarame meant I got to get him to half health before transforming back)
)

Venfayth

The game does acknowledge your relationships in various ways, mostly scripted events that have to do with who you are in a relationship with.

Yes, when you have your first intimate scene with them, the screen cuts to black and it says "You spent some time with her ...." or whatever.

Not to mention that increasing your confidant slink levels increases the power of your fused personas, allows you to benefit from their confidant skills, etc.

There are reasons to max out the relationship, not sure why you'd think there isn't any because you don't get to see a kissing scene.

Grewitch

I have a question:

Is there an easier way to figuring out which fusion combination gives what Persona?

What I mean is, I had 6 Personas, and I fused to get a new one, then I forgot which of the used personas combined with another to give a different result. Should I be writing the combinations down, or is there an easier way? If I just buy an old persona from the Compendium, I wouldn't know if that's the one I need to create a fusion.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Alucrid

Banned
9/12 spoiler
what shitty truck driver doesn't see a guy standing in the road. at least make the guy fling himself into the street

Platypus

Does anyone know which song plays during semi-bosses? Its kind of a minefield trying to look for specific songs on youtube.

Opa-Pa

I have a question:

Is there an easier way to figuring out which fusion combination gives what Persona?

What I mean is, I had 6 Personas, and I fused to get a new one, then I forgot which of the used personas combined with another to give a different result. Should I be writing the combinations down, or is there an easier way? If I just buy an old persona from the Compendium, I wouldn't know if that's the one I need to create a fusion.

I hope you understand what I mean.

You can infer it by looking at the inherited skills, I guess, but fusion results are determined by their levels and arcanas. There must be a couple fusion charts online if you search, personally I've never learned the combinations because it's just too much info, but it's definitely not random and I guess you can use that for this.

McBryBry

First dungeon, telling enemies to give me money isn't getting me any more than just killing them. How do I get more cash flow out of them?

The game sure loves to throw long story sessions without save points.. It's 1.30 AM just lemme save T_T

Oh, some questions:

1) What do you need to keep in mind when considering whether to all-out attack/talk to a shadow? Should I always attempt to get money/item?

2) Can you calculate the exp difference between finishing and talking your way out of a battle?

I mean, I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but almost all the romances in P3 and P4 imply you sleep with them.

Good to read. I just started last night and it's a bit overwhelming this being my first Persona game.

No prob bob

Saprol

The game sure loves to throw long story sessions without save points.. It's 1.30 AM just lemme save T_T

Oh, some questions:

1) What do you need to keep in mind when considering to all-out attack/talk to a shadow? Should I always attempt to get money/item?

2) Can you calculate the exp difference between finishing and talking your way out of a battle?
Killing will give drops that you can use towards infiltration tools. Also if i go an entire encounter without a kill and then end it through money extortion, I get zero xp.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Just hit the 10 hours. Man this is my first Persona and this game is packed with stuff to do. Honestly not really knowing what i am doing with all the activties in your free time.
Really digging the style but i am scared this game might to overwhelming for me..

That's not a good reason there. They are high school students who can date people twice their age and teachers in the game. If it was as simple as them being high school students then you wouldn't be able to do that. Beside we are taking about 16-17 year olds...not 12 year olds.

Beside, I explicitly said I am not talking about wanting a Bioware route. I'm talking about it showing up in conversations, cutscenes and interaction with others

Well, the Persona series definitely takes a simplistic view of relationships, no getting around that. And let's be real, most high school relationships are very superficial. In P3 you do romantically bond with others, and your romantic interest with one person can cause a Social Link of someone else who is jealous to go into a "reversal" where you have to repair the relationship. But you never become someone's exclusive BF and the game always felt a bit sociopathic that it encourages you (through the game benefits you get) to max out your relationships with different girls.

I imagine the amount of work required to develop custom narrative dialogue and scenes for every possible exclusive girlfriend you could have would've been too much for them to implement.

Persona wise can anybody tell me if I'm doing alright

Bout to start the third palace I have
Lvl19 high pixie with every element skill except death

Lvl 22 Nue focusing on death and physical

Lvl 21 leanan sidhe focused on psi and debuffs

That's really it for the ones I use

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh hai there super dark videogame

Jesus Christ o_O

Auctopus

I think this was answered in the tutorial but are SP potions meant to be rare? Or is there a place you can buy them?

Running out of SP is the main reason I have to leave dungeons. I'm not sure if I'm overusing my Personas. I pretty much use them whenever I can exploit a weakness that leads to an All out Attack. Which is pretty much all the time.

Ha ha ha, oh man, the Temperance Rank 7 Ability
having Becky
make Infiltration Tools for you must be so confusing when you're like "Hey, make some lockpicks for me" and she's all "...why do you need lockpicks?"

Just hit the 10 hours. Man this is my first Persona and this game is packed with stuff to do. Honestly not really knowing what i am doing with all the activties in your free time.
Really digging the style but i am scared this game might to overwhelming for me..

Like I suggested to new players above, don't worry about trying to do everything. People are too use to open world games or games that let you accomplish and 100% everything in them but it just works like a checklist in those games. Instead, just relax and do whatever you want in this. It's much more enjoyable when you just treat it like how you want to do it; if you want to spend your time working at a flower shop to learn how to be kinder to ask a confidant to hang out with you then do it. Don't worry that you won't get higher stats or a higher confidant ability elsewhere. You'll find your time so much more enjoyable if you realize that you're not gonna see everything in the game and that's mostly by design. Prioritize what you want to do, have fun with or who you want to hang out with. The game is balanced enough that if you do that you can make it through just fine.

I felt this way with Persona 3, which was my first. Just go into it knowing that you're probably not going to max out your relationships, and maybe not even your attributes. That's what New Game + is for. :)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think this was answered in the tutorial but are SP potions meant to be rare? Or is there a place you can buy them?

Running out of SP is the main reason I have to leave dungeons. I'm not sure if I'm overusing my Personas. I pretty much use them whenever I can exploit a weakness that leads to an All out Attack. Which is pretty much all the time.
In the early game I know you can buy shitty 5 SP items from the vending machine in the school courtyard. Otherwise sometimes I find them in the Palace.

Saprol

Rare. The main sources will be
vending machines that restock weekly beside bathhouse, inside Shibuya arcade, and in the school courtyard.

Confidant-wise,
Death rank 5 will sell SP regen accessories. Rank 7 will halve the cost

Rien

Jelly Belly
I felt this way with Persona 3, which was my first. Just go into it knowing that you're probably not going to max out your relationships, and maybe not even your attributes. That's what New Game + is for. :)

Ha ha ha, oh man, the Temperance Rank 7 Ability
having Becky
make Infiltration Tools for you must be so confusing when you're like "Hey, make some lockpicks for me" and she's all "...why do you need lockpicks?"

Like I suggested to new players above, don't worry about trying to do everything. People are too use to open world games or games that let you accomplish and 100% everything in them but it just works like a checklist in those games. Instead, just relax and do whatever you want in this. It's much more enjoyable when you just treat it like how you want to do it; if you want to spend your time working at a flower shop to learn how to be kinder to ask a confidant to hang out with you then do it. Don't worry that you won't get higher stats or a higher confidant ability elsewhere. You'll find your time so much more enjoyable if you realize that you're not gonna see everything in the game and that's mostly by design. Prioritize what you want to do, have fun with or who you want to hang out with. The game is balanced enough that if you do that you can make it through just fine.

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom