• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

preta

Holy crap, do NOT get Insta-kill with Ryuji if you ever want to ambush again for the rest of the game. Just leave him at rank 6 forever.

Silver lining: if you thought ambushes made this game too easy, enjoy never having them again.

Wait... what? I'm not sure what you're saying it does. Are you saying that it lets you insta-kill enemies on the field instead of ambushing them or something?

Into the third palace. I feel as I'm running into the same problem as Persona 4. Things are getting considerably harder, but it's solely due to me not knowing how to fuse good Personas.

It's incredibly frustrating having 8 different element types, and a hard time getting certain elements. Even if you grab a Persona with a rare one, you end up with zero endurance or something, and getting nearly 1-2 shot by bosses / big mobs.

I'm not ready to give up yet, but the fusing system is frustrating.
Didn't get an answer on my persona team question so I don't know how well I'm supposed to be doing on that front but as I mentioned a few pages back high pixie has pretty much been my go too. Having element under its belt except death. That way my other personas can focus on physical/death, buffsand debuffs
Get one of those special fusion personas from random chests, when you fuse them with another persona they will grant you spells of every element.
Ooo I'll be using this tip

Ydelnae

Into the third palace. I feel as I'm running into the same problem as Persona 4. Things are getting considerably harder, but it's solely due to me not knowing how to fuse good Personas.

It's incredibly frustrating having 8 different element types, and a hard time getting certain elements. Even if you grab a Persona with a rare one, you end up with zero endurance or something, and getting nearly 1-2 shot by bosses / big mobs.

Get one of those special fusion personas from random chests, when you fuse them with another persona they will grant you spells of every element.

pbayne

Fox social link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else. For someone i had no expectations of, he's far and away my favorite character so far.

The party member Personas look so much better than in previous games (of the three I've seen). And I don't mean in fidelity as much as I do aesthetically.

That and the Personas' back stories tie into the narrative as a whole very well too. They did a lot of thinking on that front.

Eikichi/Michel from P2 is my favourite too. Also, let's not forget Katsuya from Eternal Punishment, who is also cool. Ryuji is pretty good so far though, definitely like him more than both Junpei and Yusuke (his Persona is amazing, so that certainly helps).

I never got very far into Eternal Punishment unfortunately. Going from the PSP port of IS to the PS1 version of EP was too difficult for me. Still waiting for that fan translation though!

Opa-Pa

One of his confidant abilities is a chance to instantly kill the enemies if you ambush them.

What the hell, why is that even a thing... Is it only active when he's in your party at least? I want to finish his s link because I like him, but damn.

Eikichi/Michel from P2 is my favourite too. Also, let's not forget Katsuya from Eternal Punishment, who is also cool. Ryuji is pretty good so far though, definitely like him more than both Junpei and Yusuke (his Persona is amazing, so that certainly helps).

Comparing modern Persona with P2 in terms of characters and writing in general is just unfair.

ckohler

So, I'm not bothering with locked treasures (waisting a day making a lock pick seems stupid). Am I making a big mistake?

AngryMoth

Man, it has been slooow going since I beat the first dungeon. Really not a fan of being rail roaded so much. Guessing I'm gonna have to pay a late fee on my dvd cos haven't had a chance to return it since not been given the option to explore freely in forever. Seems things are finally picking up with the second target now though, just discovered his palace for the first time.

I'm loving the game and its writing, but I wish it would make up its mind when it comes to social issues.

It makes a huge deal about the pedophile male teacher, but has no issues making your female home teacher (and other adults) dateable, because hey mutual agreement changes everything and makes it morally right, I guess. It also shows men harassing Ann as a gross thing, but then plays Ryuji and Morgana trying to look under her skirt for laughs during a scene lmao (this is extra annoying too because otherwise, Morgana comes off as a very polite little boy with an innocent crush on her).

And that's not even touching on that awful, extremely unnecessary, homophobic scene in Shibuya.

It's like the writers have become better about this stuff with the years but then remember the game is still anime so might as well have this tired garbage in the game anyway.

Oh well, at least there don't seem to be any fat comic relief characters.

I very much agree. It's amazing how jumbled the messages of the game become. The fetishistic pandering that keeps cropping up is so upsetting and antithetical to the overarching themes of the game. Feeling more torn about that stuff in this game (even though it was present in P4G) because I think it takes itself more seriously at times and tries harder to make a social message.

Atlus sure do have a thing for black cats, that's for sure - Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Raidou 1 & 2 and now Persona 5.

What the hell, why is that even a thing... Is it only active when he's in your party at least? I want to finish his s link because I like him, but damn.

Comparing modern Persona with P2 in terms of characters and writing in general is just unfair.

lol. I think Persona 5 has still been real good so far on that front, though. P2 is definitely in the higher echelon for Atlus games storylines though, agreed.

Nimby

Banned

Only works with lower level enemies. Like it only happened to me at Mementos when fighting enemies like 15 levels below me.

Shouta

So, I'm not bothering with locked treasures (waisting a day making a lock pick seems stupid). Am I making a big mistake?

The higher your skill, dexterity or whatever it's called in the English version, the more you can make. Lock picks can net you super powerful items if you unlock the gold chests like equipment that's above whatever you can buy at the time and the like.

You finished the game yet? What did you think?!

Beat the game last night, impressions:

- best persona game in regards to combat system
- best MC in the series.
- wonderful cast.
- character development is wonderful.
- Morgana <3
- story is good and entertaining throughout but i wouldn't call it the best in the series.

My only minor nitpick is the lack of Jpop catchy song, otherwise fantastic ost.

Xeteh

Later on you can make more at a time and there's some decent weapons/armor in them at times. Eventually you can make one that doesn't break but the materials are pretty rare. I didn't really bother until the 3rd Palace.

Beat the game last night, impressions:

- best persona game in regards to combat system
- best MC in the series.
- wonderful cast.
- character development is wonderful.
- Morgana <3
- story is good and entertaining throughout but i wouldn't call it the best in the series.

My only minor nitpick is the lack of Jpop catchy song, otherwise fantastic ost.

How long did it take you to beat it? 122 hrs for me.

Kinsei

Banned
Question:
So if the inner monologue speech bubble tells me that my bond with a confidant won't progress just yet I should do something else with my day, yeah? They'll unlock periodically with the story?
I'm just a little worried, because story critical Igor is at rank 5, and Mishima is all the way up at rank 6, most of my OG crew are still at rank 3 though, and I'm just in the third palace.
To reiterate, should I be engaging with confidants more regularly, or only when prompted that it'll actually progress the bond?

It means you don't have enough points with that character to level it up. You need to hang out with hem to get enough points to progress the confidant to the next rank. Always make sure you have a persona of the right arcana while doing stuff with your confidants as it boosts the points you get. Also try and answer the dialogue questions correctly.

R0ckman

For new players I want to say that using status effects is a must for this series. Certain enemies are weak to them and overall they are more useful in this series than others. I'd been conditioned to view status effects as trash from other RPGs but with SMT series they are as viable as damaging attacks or debuffs.

Megasoum

Banned
Just got to the weapon vendor for the first time.... Holy shit I need more money lol

Ah that's a neat detail that when you buy a weapon and equip it right away it will automatically offer to sell the old one.

Honestly I fused like 2 or 3 times max. What you need are personas that protect you against every possible skill.. and of course the most important aspect of the combat are the buff/debuff magic skills that's what makes the game.

Also, have the latest melee and protectors.. complete the requests right away and reach the end
mementos
in one go and you'll be fine.

The whole crew are debating on (Pre-Dungeon 2 Spoilers)
the severity of the artist's crimes and how he's plagiarising his students' work
and all I'm thinking about is how the days are passing and how much I'll need to pay back for my two late DVD rentals.

I think I'm investing in the wrong parts of the game so far.

R0ckman

the severity of the artist's crimes and how he's plagiarising his students' work
and all I'm thinking about is how the days are passing and how much I'll need to pay back for my two late DVD rentals.

I was 26 days late because I rented them at a time where I was railroaded several days through free times in my room, by the time I was free other options were open. At the time I couldn't afford the late fee so they did a one time waive.

OH FUCK I NEED TO RETURN THOSE!

Roussow

It means you don't have enough points with that character to level it up. You need to hang out with hem to get enough points to progress the confidant to the next rank. Always make sure you have a persona of the right arcana while doing stuff with your confidants as it boosts the points you get. Also try and answer the dialogue questions correctly.

Thanks so much, just discovered the gift giving component now that I've spent time with someone in a seemingly non-story heavy capacity, explains what all those shop items were about, dope. Cheers, again.

But that was in P4 though. Just as this game's party Personas are rogues and thieves, P4's are Shinto gods and mystics.

Never said it wasn't in the previous games though (which it was), just that I prefer the Personas in this game overall, especially on the aesthetics side of things. The designs are definitely the best Soejima's ever done for the series, I think.

It only applies to enemies well below your level. It never comes up unless you're grinding or in Mementos.

Yeah, I hadn't gotten a chance to actually use it other than doing some backlogged requests while waiting for a deadline to come, so I may have overreacted. It's still a huge downer from what I expected, but perhaps not gamebreaking if it only triggers when they're like 10 levels lower.

I was 26 days late because I rented them at a time where I was railroaded several days through free times in my room, by the time I was free other options were open. At the time I couldn't afford the late fee so they did a one time waive.

Must just be a first time thing. I'm only two days late after exams, was about to be charged 1,000-ish yen until they waived it. Was about to continue with the game until I read that post, so I reloaded my save. Thanks for the heads up. If I'm going to be late, I may as well be dramatically late, after all.

OH FUCK I NEED TO RETURN THOSE!

Aaaaand I love this game.

How exactly do you want a DVD? I can't for the life of me find the spot to do it, even with the thing that should let me.

The only rule of thumb I have is to always have all elemental bases covered (keeping in mind your party's skills), and perhaps to have a good defensive Persona--as in, a Persona with few weaknesses--should the need arise. Personas are ultimately disposable otherwise--higher-level ones are always superior, due to how skills work.

Against normal enemies, exploiting weaknesses and getting 1 More(s) is, so, so much more important than dragging the fight out with normal attacks and trying to persevere. One hold-up can replace 2, 3, or even more full turns of combat; it's way more economical overall to blow some SP and end it quick.

Part of it is sussing out weaknesses which can be difficult. But like, generally fiery Personas are weak to ice; angelic Personas are weak to curse; Personas resistant to something are oftentimes vulnerable to the opposite element, etc. When you have the full elemental table available, it makes figuring it out that much faster, which can be critical against stronger shadows.
That and the Personas' back stories tie into the narrative as a whole very well too. They did a lot of thinking on that front.

Oh, also true. Good point!

There's been some good stuff in the first few dungeons. Because it raises proficiency you might as well have lockpicks always on hand.
But that was in P4 though. Just as this game's party Personas are rogues and thieves, P4's are Shinto gods and mystics.

Omg I never made this connection. It also works for P3.

Dammit, Persona. You are too good!

Kinsei

Banned
The second palace is really cool so far.

Second palace stuff:
This guy as Goemon as his Persona? Sorry Morgana, you're off the team.

How exactly do you want a DVD? I can't for the life of me find the spot to do it, even with the thing that should let me.

Examine the TV twice.

suracity

I don't really care about social or political commentary from the game. However there is one thing P5 just did absolutely best. Regarding the theme of the game

So many games want to portray the internet age and media power but it's fascinating to me that P5 is the first one to give me real chills and this is a high school drama for gods sake. The support rate bar is such a fantastic idea. The hive mind of the public, the hyperbole, the pettiness and mindlessness. Just amazing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom