• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Don't you shit talk Becky!
Wasn't talking about the maid, was talking about the whole setup.
All the boys getting excited, using a vacant room- basically breaking and entering- just to try it out.
Creepy as fuck.
Then again I've never been a teenage boy so. :/

Man...I'm starting to run low on money because of
Kawakami's social link costing 5000 yen per visit
lol

Same, going to have to sell accessories or items or something to keep up.

Also this game is really annoying about railroading you... all I want to do is exchange library books, but nope, here, have another full week of cutscenes...

Qurupeke

How can I teach a Persona specific skills? I need to find a Shiisa with Frei, but I have no idea how to find and pass the skill. Incidentally, I managed to make one with Mafrei somehow..

Early 3rd dungeon stuff:

I made a post complaining about Makoto and how arrogant she was. I take everything back, she's amazing. Literally the Queen.

Man...I'm starting to run low on money because of
Kawakami's social link costing 5000 yen per visit
lol

I wanted to post the exact same thing. lol

Operation Maidwatch was hilarious.

Xeteh

So this is my first Persona game and I just want to make sure I understand the game's structure...

So I'm at the point where I got my first "mission" with a dealdine to finish the first palace.

So the idea is to go in as deep as you can in the palace until you get to low on stats. You then find the closest safe room, you port out and rest to regain your stats?

You go back to the palace the next day and rince and repeat until it's done (hopefully before the deadline).

Also in the days when you get out to rest you also use that time to go buy items, fuse personas, get your skills up, etc?

Man... I understand that this is literally the foundation of the franchise but the whole time aspect of the game is not really my thing. It stresses me out when I get timelines to do stuff lol... One of the reason I didn't play Majora's Mask for yeaaars.

Don't let the timeless (also known as deadlines for those who aren't dumb like me) stress you at all. I just finished the 4th Palace with over 20 days left on the deadline. Early on its harder to make it through the Palace in one night because SP is such a constraint but a lot of people (myself included) made it through the 3rd on the first night.

But yeah, thats the jist of the gameplay loop. The deadlines are really not an issue, just don't wait until the last minute to start dungeon crawling.

How can I teach a Persona specific skills? I need to find a Shiisa with Frei, but I have no idea how to find and pass the skill. Incidentally, I managed to make one with Mafrei somehow..

Its all about finding the right fusion. You can get skill cards that allow you to just teach a spell to a persona but those Twins quests can be completed solely through fusion.

If you want to know how to do it:
Jack Frost (Magician) with Makami (Temperance). Makami has Frei

Ulong

I'm in the third dungeon and can grind for infinity thanks to SP recovery accessories, and I'm wondering what level did most people beat the third dungeons boss on?

All the boys getting excited, using a vacant room- basically breaking and entering- just to try it out.
Creepy as fuck.

Ohhhhh that part, right.

Yeah that was dumb.

Linkura

OH MY FUCKING GOD THE MAID

Was not expecting it to be her!!

Okay, now THAT'S funny. The whole setup made the boys look really creepy and pervy tough.

I'm wondering something about the seven sins theme and some names in Mementos. Relevant to the endgame, maybe???

There are seven sins, and I assume seven palaces as well. The area names of Mementos come from the Qliphoth's Tree of Evil. I've seen Qimranut and Aiyatsbus so far, and there are eight more in the tree. And there's a thing about Ten Hells and Seven Palaces related to the tree.

Is anyone read up on this stuff? It's hard to find info.

I'm doing the first dungeon and man it's great. They are so much better than the randomly-generated ones from P3 and P4.

Question: how essential is it that I talk to shadows to get items from them? Are those items hard-to-get or unique, or can I get them easily elsewhere?

Also, is there a trick to guess which answers we have to give to shadows to get them to cooperate, besides their "type"? I'm getting bad flashbacks to Persona 1 and how frustrating that mechanic was.

I like that you can use the Log to replay every awkward line read.

I actually think the voice acting is fantastic overall, but every once in a while, a line is so off that I have to go back and make sure I didn't misinterpret something.

Creepy as fuck.

How is typical teenaged behaviour "creepy", lol

Chaos17

After 40 hours, chapter 4 finally freed me!! It should have been like that since the beginning damb it, atlus!! ( •̀ㅁ•́;)
Thankfully, I like Persona games so I stocked with it despite my ranting but I don't ever to be restrain like that EVER again!!

Creepy as fuck.
Eh,
sounds like something teenage boys would do, as someone who was once a teenage boy and works with them on a daily basis. Especially since they chicken out and hide when she actually shows up because they can't actually handle it.
The fact they react that way makes it not creepy and more like...facepalm worthy, you kids are stupid kind of thing.

OH MY FUCKING GOD THE MAID

Was not expecting it to be her!!

Okay, now THAT'S funny. The whole setup made the boys look really creepy and pervy tough.

Like they say, if you're not down with Becky you can go to hecky (shamelessly stolen from the other thread)

"If we made a lockpick we could have opened this chest"

"IF YOU LET ME MAKE ONE INSTEAD OF INSISTING I GO TO BED WE WOULD HAVE ONE YOU USELESS FUCKING ANIMAL"

jiggles

Banned
Wait, I thought greyed out social links on the map screen meant I didn't have the stats to progress them?

I just successfully started one that wasn't blue, but I've been ignoring all the grey ones to this point

I'm wondering something about the seven sins theme and some names in Mementos. Relevant to the endgame, maybe???

There are seven sins, and I assume seven palaces as well. The area names of Mementos come from the Qliphoth's Tree of Evil. I've seen Qimranut and Aiyatsbus so far, and there are eight more in the tree. And there's a thing about Ten Hells and Seven Palaces related to the tree.

Is anyone read up on this stuff?
based on the megaten wiki the palaces do each correspond to one of the seven deadly sins with the exception of the second which corresponds to vanity. Instead the last sin is apparently represented by mementos

abundant

Don't let the timeless stress you at all. I just finished the 4th Palace with over 20 days left on the deadline. Early on its harder to make it through the Palace in one night because SP is such a constraint but a lot of people (myself included) made it through the 3rd on the first night.

But yeah, thats the jist of the gameplay loop. The deadlines are really not an issue, just don't wait until the last minute to start dungeon crawling.

Yep. As someone who beat Persona 3 & 4 (and someone who stresses about deadlines in games) they've never been a problem with me because they give you a lot of time to do them. As long as you don't blow off the dungeons until the last second, you'll be fine.

question (early may):
is there a way to instantly exit the mementos dungeon (as in, goho-m), or do you just have to make your way back using the map to climb out stage by stage?...

LiK

Keeping up with SLinks in this game seems way harder than the previous games. So many more people to keep track of. Can't wait to replay with a guide lol

question (early may):
is there a way to instantly exit the mementos dungeon (as in, goho-m), or do you just have to make your way back using the map to climb out stage by stage?...

I thought you could just go straight to the entrance by selecting the menu at a station, but you can at a rest stop for sure.

So this is my first Persona game and I just want to make sure I understand the game's structure...

So I'm at the point where I got my first "mission" with a dealdine to finish the first palace.

So the idea is to go in as deep as you can in the palace until you get to low on stats. You then find the closest safe room, you port out and rest to regain your stats?

You go back to the palace the next day and rince and repeat until it's done (hopefully before the deadline).

Also in the days when you get out to rest you also use that time to go buy items, fuse personas, get your skills up, etc?

Man... I understand that this is literally the foundation of the franchise but the whole time aspect of the game is not really my thing. It stresses me out when I get timelines to do stuff lol... One of the reason I didn't play Majora's Mask for yeaaars.

So yes. The basic structure is dungeon-delving until you run out of the most important stat--SP, which, through Personas skills, largely controls healing and exploitation of weaknesses--the two key aspects of combat.

Outside of dungeons, you want to explore, find and progress Confidants (aka Social Links) for more power, sell loot, upgrade equipment, and increase the Protagonist's attributes (Guts, etc.) and in general manage the Protagonist's life to make deadlines completable. It will always seem like you don't have enough time to do everything, but that's by design. Prioritise by what you think is important and you will be set.

Like, the time limit really isn't a big deal. Even in worst case scenarios (such as wasting an entire day in a dungeon for no progress, which I totally did) you will be perfectly fine. Always push forward and stretch your party to the limit, using recovery items (when you feel it's necessary) and skills to make progress swift. And remember: it's OK to skip some enemies, particularly if they're weak and unlikely to provide anything of value.

Alucrid

Banned
question (early may):

at rest or end levels you can just press r1 and warp out. otherwise you'll need a goho-m if you're between those levels.

based on the megaten wiki the palaces do each correspond to one of the seven deadly sins with the exception of the second which corresponds to vanity. Instead the last sin is apparently represented by mementos

I'm mostly wondering about the Qliphoth since I don't get any relevant results from googling Qimranut or Aiyatsbus except for a Japanese Wikipedia page. Maybe they're just Nehemoth, Gamaliel, etc. with different names but I can't tell.

It seems to intertwine with the seven sins cleverly but I'm not savvy enough and can't find much info.

beril

Creepy as fuck.

I agree completely
Honestly I would even have found it slightly less creepy if they had just gone ahead and made it a straight up stripper or prostitute

You'd need to be really bad to be incapable of making it through a palace by the deadline

molnizzle

I agree completely
Honestly I would even have found it slightly less creepy if they had just gone ahead and made it a straight up stripper or prostitute

They kinda did though.
She makes it very clear that there are "other services" that she decides not to perform since they were only high school kids.

Opa-Pa

Your average teenage boy's ideas and way of seeing women can be quite creepy tho, and playing it for laughs helps to maintain the idea that there's nothing wrong with it.

Same in how Yosuke's homophobia in P4 is technically very realistic, but he never gets any shit for it so the game is telling you that it's fine and even funny. It sucks.

Imagine if Kamoshida wasn't important but still acted like a sexual predator with students. It'd be realistic but pretty fucked up if he never saw any consequences or was at least confronted about it.

ckohler

Ugh. Second boss is wiping the floor with me on Normal. I may be under leveled or something. I tried twice. I guess I need to grind.

Chaos17

Persona 4 golden would've been a better entry for you because it is less restrictive on the time management. In this one I do asap the dungeon which is not fun but better doing that have your last days eat up by the calling card IMO.

Edit: For Sp item, you should be friend the Barista until he teach how to make coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom