• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a better way to tell if you're close to gaining a point to things like Knowledge and Proficiency? I've been studying a lot and my Knowledge is still at LV1. What gives?

Hikami

Going to ask the same. I'm in May, and the game just keeps doing its own thing. Does it get better? And when?

I think it's like that because we have more time to do things in general? In Persona 3/4 there were weeks or days were the game just skipped them entirely in the calendar thing.
So far though it hasn't happened to me here.

quoting myself from the previous page, unfortunately nobody seems to know, tried a lot of places :

So can somebody explain to me how the fortune arcana works (Rank 1)?

You pay 5000 yens to get one of your stats evolve more quickly on the same day.... tried it with kindness, with a job and the plant, but it didn't change anything, still got the same amount of point anyway! So how does that work?

thanks

A little bit after the start of the 5 palace

I need to vent. Fuck this character.

this shit with morgana is pissing me off so much right now, he still in his feelings over a comment 1 person made. No one else really treated him bad but he wants to be a little baby and run off and not even speak to the protagonist all the while costing us precious days to build social bonds when we've barely had time to do that since this happens as soon as we got back from Hawaii. This is horribly written and just making me crossed. No more mascot characters after this as it's not needed if they're gonna be the same thing every game with not remembering crap and if they're a human.

Honestly I find her's incredibly unique and probably the coolest Persona so far. The game seems to think so too, considering the introduction/Awakening scene.

Yup, it's a real fun design and I appreciated that the game is aware of that.
Man, there sure are a lot of days where you can't spend your time doing what you want. Is it like this the whole game?

Going to ask the same. I'm in May, and the game just keeps doing its own thing. Does it get better? And when?

The game does open up more, especially after the second dungeon where I had nearly two weeks of free time. But it's always going to limit what you can do for a couple of weeks here and there when the story picks up again.

Is there any circumstances that make the treasure regents appear? I've only seen the one that is story activated.

Edit: and as soon as I post this I have one appear.

Opa-Pa

Man, the amount of fusion options in this is great, I pretty much always end up spending almost an hour in the Velvet Room whenever I use it. I was struggling with skill slots to give my Matador tarukaja until I realized I could just buy one from the compendium that had only two skills, one of them tarukaja... So I just sacrificed it to transfer it to Matador, and what do you know, there are same arcana exp bonuses, so he leveled up too! Awesome.

I can't believe I'm finally getting my mainline SMT fix with a Persona game of all things, I love this game.

Is there any circumstances that make the treasure regents appear? I've only seen the one that is story activated.

I've found one inside a breakable object and two just lying around. It's a matter of luck pretty much.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a better way to tell if you're close to gaining a point to things like Knowledge and Proficiency? I've been studying a lot and my Knowledge is still at LV1. What gives?

it takes a long time for this stat, don't worry about it, and no, you can't know when it will grow! You should study on rainy days at the dinner, order the hot coffee, you'll gain 3 points in knowledge

Kalentan

So question I'm in Mementos and sometimes when I surprise attack enemies it simply says I have too many masks and then they die instantly. I do recall having something about an instant kill with Rouji but do I not get any exp or anything from those?

Xeteh

How do you give gifts? Am I just not at that point yet?

If you have a gift in your inventory you get the option while hanging out with someone. It won't happen if you're in the process of ranking up but during one of the times you just go somewhere to hang out.

CSX

How do you give gifts? Am I just not at that point yet?

it really only pops up when you hang out with someone and it doesn't lead to a rank up on the confidant. Basically it allows you to get extra points so that the next time you hang out with him/her will be a definite rank up event.

I find this to be the most frustrating thing so far been honestly ignoring the crap outta it now. It takes way too long I feel like

soultron

Banned
it takes a long time for this stat, don't worry about it, and no, you can't know when it will grow! You should study on rainy days at the dinner, order the hot coffee, you'll gain 3 points in knowledge
Thanks for this. I'll try that instead of the Library or at LeBlanc.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
a bummer how plain makoto's persona design is compared to the others

I see what you mean but I think hers atleast stand outs because...you know.

On the 3rd dungeon right now and love makoto as a character. This dungeon is howver probably my least favourite in terms of layout/design, but I will wait to see how it opens up

Man, the amount of fusion options in this is great, I pretty much always end up spending almost an hour in the Velvet Room whenever I use it. I was struggling with skill slots to give my Matador tarukaja until I realized I could just buy one from the compendium that had only two skills, one of them tarukaja... So I just sacrificed it to transfer it to Matador, and what do you know, there are same arcana exp bonuses, so he leveled up too! Awesome.

I can't believe I'm finally getting my mainline SMT fix with a Persona game of all things, I love this game.

Well, all things considered, a lot of the former members of mainline SMT dev team (who made the old MegaTen games like SMT3 and Devil Summoner series) nowadays are the ones making Persona series, so it's no surprise really. The actual team who make the MegaTen series now are comprised of newer (younger) staff with old timers like Yamai leading them. Think that pretty much since SMT3 & DDS were both done that team pretty much have done Persona since then, so Persona 3 onwards (Strange Journey was pretty much done by what seems to be external developer made up of former Atlus developers, Kaneko and other old timers who wanted to do an "old school" MegaTen game). There's a lot of correlation between them on the game credits.

One must remember Hashino's background as a Planner/Designer (and eventual Director of SMT3 & DDS) on mainline SMT and the various spin offs/IPs (like Devil Summoner) before he took charge of Persona from Okada. It's certainly nice though, it's ironic this game is pretty much the most challenging MegaTen game since, well, Strange Journey. Best dungeon crawling since SJ too, I think. I've been wiped plenty of times now, thanks to ambushes and misses. This game is hard and I'm loving it. It is giving me those PS2 era vibes (home console MegaTen! It's been too long!)

I love the Persona fusions in this game too. Heck, the demons designed by Kaneko have been beautifully converted into this game. Makes me even more excited for how SMT Switch is going to turn out now.

Weiss

Banned
Okay so I need to tart min maxing my Social attributes for NG+. What's the best and quickest way to rank them all to five?

Totakeke

One must remember Hashino's background as a Planner/Designer (and eventual Director of SMT3 & DDS) on mainline SMT and the various spin offs/IPs (like Devil Summoner) before he took charge of Persona from Okada. It's certainly nice though, it's ironic this game is pretty much the most challenging MegaTen game since, well, Strange Journey. Best dungeon crawling since SJ too, I think. I've been wiped plenty of times now, thanks to ambushes and misses. This game is hard and I'm loving it. It is giving me those PS2 era vibes (home console MegaTen! It's been too long!)

You should play SMT4A.

Starting up the game now for the first time. Do you guys recommend English or Japanese audio? I don't think I have ever played a video game with Japanese audio, but in my limited experience watching anime I don't really mind it.

bryt

Starting up the game now for the first time. Do you guys recommend English or Japanese audio? I don't think I have ever played a video game with Japanese audio, but in my limited experience watching anime I don't really mind it.

English dub is really good imo.

Just beat the first major dungeon.

Already loving the game. The designed dungeon is a big improvement, and I love that I have no idea where this game is gonna go. Presentation is slick a f and I love the thieves theme.

My GF said something interesting. She said the game reminds her aesthetically of Suicide Squad. I assume that's been pointed out a ton? The fact that there's a character named Joker and that Anne looks a bit like Harley Quinn really made her double down on that

Kard8p3

Question regarding battles since I'm super new to the series.

How often should I be trying to knock enemies down via their weakness? Probably as much as I can, correct? And when I do is it better to kill them/ask for money/make them join? I assume I should only try to recruit personas I haven't before?

Play in English. I thought I wasn't going to like it but gotta give props to Atlus USA. Morgana has the best dub voice.

Opa-Pa

Ah yeah I'm aware! P Studio has a lot of proven talent in it, which is part of why I've always been disappointed that they've purposely made modern Persona considerably more basic in terms of combat and dungeon crawling that their other Megaten equivalents, so I pretty much expected nothing from P5 in these regards, and the game has been the most pleasant surprise. It's fantastic and it finally feels like Persona is just as good as Nocturne and DDS were back then.

I very much agree that the challenge is great and the most exciting since Strange Journey, I love it.

You should play SMT4A.

Apocalypse was wonderful and had a decent challenge, but having beaten it on hard and comparing it to this, I find P5 way more challenging too. Not to say Apocalypse was /easy/, but it wasn't too hard outside of some bosses, whereas I find myself getting wiped out by regular enemies whenever I give them the chance to.

Not to mention Apocalypse had that garbage save system that trivialized all challenge. P5's is perfect.

Use the English dub, it's really quite good. There are some weirdly worded lines but the dub makes them sound natural. Performances are top notch.

Totakeke

Apocalypse was wonderful and had a decent challenge, but having beaten it on hard and comparing it to this, I find P5 way more challenging too. Not to say Apocalypse was /easy/, but it wasn't too hard outside of some bosses, whereas I find myself getting wiped out by regular enemies whenever I give them the chance to.

Not to mention Apocalypse had that garbage save system that trivialized all challenge. P5's is perfect.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm criticizing P5 here, but the difficulty doesn't hold up in P5. I'm at the last boss and I've been playing on hard. I've played on the hard difficulty on 4A as well. And I'm talking about just playing the game normally without trying to abuse or break the mechanics here. I didn't abuse the save system in 4A.

Kard8p3

I'll say that while I really like the English dub but I went with the Japanese voices because Ryuji is Light and the MC is Lelouch lmao. I'll probably either switch back to English at some point for that sweet Lu Bu, or just wait until ng+

Man, doing Ann's Confidant meetings past when you can decide to romance her is kinda rough if you chose to be platonic because it's sorta obvious she likes you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guess I'm the only one that wouldnt touch the english dub with a 10 foot pole huh?

game is WAY too anime to not play in Japanese in my opinion, and I hate hearing english voices say shit like senpai and -chan.

Plus I just love japanese grunts and screams (not THAT way perverts!)

guess I'm the only one that wouldnt touch the english dub with a 10 foot pole huh?

game is WAY too anime to not play in Japanese in my opinion, and I hate hearing english voices say shit like senpai and -chan.

Plus I just love japanese grunts and screams (not THAT way perverts!)

I agree with all of this as I played the Japanese version first, but the English voices so far have been top notch stuff. Better than 98% of games for sure.

Opa-Pa

I don't want to make it seem like I'm criticizing P5 here, but the difficulty doesn't hold up in P5. I'm at the last boss and I've been playing on hard. I've played on the hard difficulty on 4A as well. And I'm talking about just playing the game normally without trying to abuse or break the mechanics here. I didn't abuse the save system in 4A.

Ah that's disappointing to hear. Is there something specific that becomes significantly easier? I'm actually holding up on getting the invigorate rings for as long as possible to keep the dungeon crawling interesting.

I really wanna like Morgana but
20jBmEsmj.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom