• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

Yeah Yusuke is pretty great. I expected it to be a lame Jun clone but he's his own character and so far one of my favorites.

I foubd the casting of Sugita really odd at first too but it actually fits him and Mercer's performance is very good as well.

OrionX

It's the middle of May and my bedroom is still a filthy mess. There's just too much to do and the cat keeps making me go to sleep. ;_;

Totakeke

Ah that's disappointing to hear. Is there something specific that becomes significantly easier? I'm actually holding up on getting the invigorate rings for as long as possible to keep the dungeon crawling interesting.

General game spoilers that you might want to avoid
early game is pretty much only difficult because of SP limitations. Even without the rings you get more skills and abilities to replenish your SP on demons. I could restore 17 SP per turn on MC around 3rd or 4th palace onwards. High crit skills are also way too good, and combine that with talking your way out of battles, makes it easy to avoid any battles you don't want to fight. And you don't really lose EXP by doing that either. And then there's also the fact that a lot of the confidants have really awesome abilities... which makes the game far too flexible for you when the base difficulty isn't really increasing much.

Edit: Actually I should also say that the early game bosses were also more difficult than mid and later game bosses. And that's not because of SP. It's not curved well. I never had a game over on bosses like 4th one onwards while I spent an hour on the 2nd one. I checked the thieves guild occasionally and I'm also underleveled compared to most people.

LiK

I don't want to make it seem like I'm criticizing P5 here, but the difficulty doesn't hold up in P5. I'm at the last boss and I've been playing on hard. I've played on the hard difficulty on 4A as well. And I'm talking about just playing the game normally without trying to abuse or break the mechanics here. I didn't abuse the save system in 4A.

There's a DLC that unlocks Merciless difficulty. Maybe you will like that more.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I agree with all of this as I played the Japanese version first, but the English voices so far have been top notch stuff. Better than 98% of games for sure.

oh don't get me wrong, my comments are not on the quality of the english dub. It seemed fine in the quicklook.

Majmun

I totally forgot I have a Vita!

Is this game manageable through remote play? Good god, there goes my sleep if so.

he's fantastic. When you meet him at first he is kind of lame but his confidant stuff has been my favorite.

Yup, his confidant scenes and his interactions with the other characters are some of my favourite stuff in the game.

I totally forgot I had a Vita!

Is this game managable through remote play? Good god, there goes my sleep.
Yeah it works really well, only thing that isn't great is dash being assigned to the rear touch but you quickly get used to it.

Linkura

6/11
Yusuke inviting himself to live at Ann's is some creepy shit. I kind of like him other than him being creepy to Ann, but geeezus.

zelhawks37

Just beat the second palace. Easier than the first, but from what i hear of what is coming up, im looking forward to the challenge. :)

Opa-Pa

Ah I see, yeah I got the feeling that confidants gave way too much benefits, but I don't want to avoid them either.

Oh well, challenge is still decent at least. I found SMT4 painfully easy starting from a certain point but it was still enjoyable for the most part. Hell, sometimes being able to break the game as much as possible it's good fun too.

I totally forgot I had a Vita!

Is this game managable through remote play? Good god, there goes my sleep.

Yeah very much so.

The only annoying thing is running in dungeons because it's mapped to the rear pad, but that's not even something you're required to use, so it's fine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One thing P5 is doing is re-igniting my love of and desire to visit Japan.

It's Gabriel Knight with New Orleans all over again (yes I'm old damn it, fuck you)

Jintor

Does Hierophant progress beyond Lvl 4 at any time or is it time locked? Time locked stuff usually lets you know I thought... or is that just skill locked stuff...?

6/11
Yusuke inviting himself to live at Ann's is some creepy shit. I kind of like him other than him being creepy to Ann, but geeezus.

I never saw any of his shit as creepy because it's not like he's slobbering over her or being like 'Oh man, gonna go to her house to squeeze her booty accidentally' He has like...no ulterior motives. He's obtuse or just doesn't really care. His other interactions play into the fact that sometimes he just doesn't...realize shit because he's so focused on what's important to him to the exclusion of other stuff.

Totakeke

There's a DLC that unlocks Merciless difficulty. Maybe you will like that more.

Nah, it's about the encounter design and the gameplay mechanics. Merciless probably requires more grinding to get to the same level but when you can just spend more days in the dungeon it's not doing much. Also someone argued that the extra damage done on Merciless probably benefits the player more than the enemies. I really liked the early game difficulty in P5, after a while it kinda just disappeared.

There's one moment later in the game in P5 which could reach the levels of the best encounters in 4A, but because a number of the gameplay mechanics are unlocked through confidants, they couldn't design the encounters requiring you to use those mechanics.

GSR

Does Hierophant progress beyond Lvl 4 at any time or is it time locked? Time locked stuff usually lets you know I thought... or is that just skill locked stuff...?

Level 3 or level 4? In any event, yes, it time locks around then until late August, but the game doesn't tell you this.

Weiss

Banned
I've used the Fortune teller three times so far to boost attribute while with Confidants, and every time it's failed.

I dunno what makes me more annoyed

The fact the game threw a random enemy that was the same as the mini boss in the first dungeon

Or the fact when I came back to the game and cause I don't have access to internet I can't play the fudging game cause I got the free dlc

Opa-Pa

I dunno what makes me more annoyed

The fact the game threw a random enemy that was the same as the mini boss in the first dungeon

Or the fact when I came back to the game and cause I don't have access to internet I can't play the fudging game cause I got the free dlc

The second happened to me too. Turns out my nephew forgot to tell me he left his PS4 set as primary with my account, so I used my phone as a hotspot and set mine back as primary.

The mini-boss thing isn't as bad as it seems either. Normally the game gives their random encounter version an elemental weakness or two the boss version didn't have.

Menitta

This is the most stylish game I have ever played. The menus, presentation, everything is gorgeous. The screen can get a little cluttered but it's still great.

This is the most stylish game I have ever played. The menus, presentation, everything is gorgeous. The screen can get a little cluttered but it's still great.

My only problem so far is that haze border around some of the screen during dungeons. It's hard to navigate at times IMO

I refuse to get rid of high pixie ever I'll keep her forever best persona on my team

As far as party members go looking at the box art glasses girl has my attention if she is one

The second happened to me too. Turns out my nephew forgot to tell me he left his PS4 set as primary with my account, so I used my phone as a hotspot and set mine back as primary.

The mini-boss thing isn't as bad as it seems either. Normally the game gives their random encounter version an elemental weakness or two the boss version didn't have.

I figured, but I was in full on sprint to the end of the dungeon to clear it in one night with my limited healing/sp, got caught, got mega ganked. I also hadn't saved since before the mini boss :|

Nimby

Banned
Makoto's VA is good. The talent here is actually pretty great, it's too bad most of the lines read like a college student trying to throw in some fancy sounding words into their essay.

Tangent, Battle-wise:

Ryuji
Second best? Buffs damage, pretty much Kanji from P4. Zio for weaknesses, good dmg amounts for bosses especially because I don't think a boss thus far has had an elemental weakness
Morgana
Best party member? Lucky Hit crits like 75% for me, healing. They're pretty fragile though
Ann
Decent for hard mode, Tarunda is a necessity for some fights. She kinda feels like a burden until you get Diarama though.
Yusuke
Worst? Weakness exploiter, having trouble using him for bosses
Makoto
All-around good, healing, Rakukaja, good damage, and Frei

3638915-robocopclarence.jpg

This is what I see when me and the thieves do a hold up.

Jintor

fuckin' hell makoto is so dooooopeeeee

they really weave her in well before she takes centre stage

I really wish you could start s-links before you finished their corresponding dungeons though... I always want to use chars the dungeon I get them in, but characters without baton pass are really disadvantaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom