• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BouncyFrag

So I've finally gotten sucked into a party based jrpg. I'm usually pretty hopeless when it comes to figuring out jrpg battle systems and general idiosyncrasies. Thankfully, Atlus has done a great job of teaching mechanics and I'm glad a took a shot on this game. From the get go this game is dark as fuck. I was legit shook when
the girl jumped off the roof
which is were I wrapped up my playing tonight.

Shouta

Quick question, if I capture a Persona and I put him in my line up, I can replace him with another after without the need to register it to unlock it in the compendium right ?

Personas are automatically registered when you capture them. You only need to manually register them if you want to save the progress on your Persona after you've gained a few levels or got new skills on it.

cheez124

Yeah that boss fight just wasn't fun.
The self-destructing robots didn't help either

thankfully, i was able to take those guys out before they had a chance to explode, haha

i just hate enemy-rush style boss fights in games. i mean, it does make sense for this boss thematically, but still. if they had maybe allowed all-out attacks and/or reduced the number of robot waves it would've been a little more enjoyable

Opa-Pa

Been making some slow progress in dungeon 3. Mobs are all manageable but I'm wasting way too much SP, so believe me, next time I definitely won't wait till I have 5 days left.

Made it to the basement but I think I'll have to retreat. Oh well. The mini bosses have been fun!

I love hard mode, one false move and a fucking orthus one shots your team into oblivion, no mistakes, even from common mobs

It's a wild ride yeah, I love it.

Is anyone else getting Rohan Kishibe vibes from Yusuke or is it just me?

But Yusuke is an upstanding citizen.

I love hard mode, one false move and a fucking orthus one shots your team into oblivion, no mistakes, even from common mobs

Orthus can suck a bifurcated dick. I kept trying to negotiate with it and get him and 4 fucking times I answered all his questions right and then he goes "Well fuck you" and breaks out of the negotiation and attacks me three times in a row.

That's some Grade A Bullshit

I know it was the same in Persona 4, and for some reason I didn't really mind it back then, but God some of the time consuming stuff in this game are really stupid. You honestly want me to believe that swinging a bat for a couple of minutes takes and entire evening? Like, I can't even go to the clinic that is right across the street before the sun sets down? Come on.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
After 45 hours. Just wanted to say that I love premise of the game, it oozes coolness. I like how the police and everyone is after the phantom thieves. It makes the story have real stakes, in P3 what you did was mostly confined to the dark hour and tartarus, and in P4 since it was about preventing murders no one really questioned or took notice about what the crew was doing.

But in p5 having a high profile criminals suddenly do a 180 and confess crimes attracts attention so it feels like what I'm doing actually impacts the real world in the game. Plus the games excels at making the bad guys people you actually hate. I mean, really, who didnt want to bring down Kamoshida?

The wait was unbearable, but it was well worth the wait. It's the best jrpg I've played since SMT3. Could be up there with Valkarie Profile 1, Chrono Trigger and SMT3 (which IMO are the best jrpgs of all time) when it's all said and done.

LotusHD

Banned
I know it was the same in Persona 4, and for some reason I didn't really mind it back then, but God some of the time consuming stuff in this game are really stupid. You honestly want me to believe that swinging a bat for a couple of minutes takes and entire evening? Like, I can't even go to the clinic that is right across the street before the sun sets down? Come on.

You were really, really into it?

Royce McCutcheon

Orthus can suck a bifurcated dick. I kept trying to negotiate with it and get him and 4 fucking times I answered all his questions right and then he goes "Well fuck you" and breaks out of the negotiation and attacks me three times in a row.

That's some Grade A Bullshit

I literally became terrified of negotiating with him, could not risk him unleashing that fire on me.

Jintor

ya'll know persona is a time management sim tho right

You were really, really into it?
Honestly, the confidant stuff and part-time jobs make sense, cause often it seems like they are taking a good chunk of MC's time. But for stuff like batting, making lock-picks, doing a few push-ups, etc, it just makes no sense. It's like the game just keeps on reminding you that you are playing a video-game. "Nah, only two activities per day."

ya'll know persona is a time management sim tho right

I've played Persona 4, so I know. It still stupid that something like batting center would take the same amount of time as doing a part time job.

Opa-Pa

Lmao come to think of it I'm pretty glad that I fused Orthrus myself before they started popping up as encounters. They're pretty brutal so sometimes I take advantage of owning one to negotiate and make them fuck off. That sweet null fire helps too!

jesus christ that 5th dungeon boss was ridiculous. barely beat him

5th dungeon spoilers:
that stupid burger attack does so much damage even when guarding, and then there's okumura constantly casting debuffs from the back...ughhh. plus, you can't use any all out attacks throughout the battle thanks to him. easily the most un-fun boss battle so far
Eh that boss battle is amazing.
The start is awesome cause it's just constant baton passing and switching party members.

For the finale make use of your aoe defence buffs, lucky punches,rising slashes and
Haru's
Melee reflect self casted.

Question about the Fourth Palace:
Is there anything forcing you to go back to the real world? I think I'm at the last set of puzzle rooms, the "Corridor Submit", but my party is running out of juice and I've blown a lot of revival items from those fucking Anubis' Hama spells (=_=#) So I would like to call it a day.

massoluk

Banned
I stick around in palaces when I'm close to the level req to fuse something I want either for combat or to hand in to the velvet room.

Also I want to buy a lot of crap so I've been doing a lot of negotiations. Switching to confusing mementos bosses now that I'm running low before the next palace run.

Sweet, my biggest throws were from one of Mementos boss around $11,000. Level C. What level is that 50k throw

Edit: Also manage to confess to
doctor
... She wasn't my first choice. Any advantage to being a terrible boyfriend and cheat with another girl?

So, are you suggesting that they give you additional time to go shopping after doing a time consuming event in the evening? That would just require more button presses to get to bed 90% of the time. Or arbitrarily limit the game to activities that would reasonably take that amount of time? It's silly, but the alternatives would just be equally dumb.

Honestly, the confidant stuff and part-time jobs make sense, cause often it seems like they are taking a good chunk of MC's time. But for stuff like batting, making lock-picks, doing a few push-ups, etc, it just makes no sense. It's like the game just keeps on reminding you that you are playing a video-game. "Nah, only two activities per day."

I've played Persona 4, so I know. It still stupid that something like batting center would take the same amount of time as doing a part time job.

Why is this a bad thing? "Immersion"?

Hikami

Question about the Fourth Palace:
Is there anything forcing you to go back to the real world? I think I'm at the last set of puzzle rooms, the "Corridor Submit", but my party is running out of juice and I've blown a lot of revival items from those fucking Anubis' Hama spells (=_=#) So I would like to call it a day.
You'll still have to go back to the real world before the last boss.

So, picked this up a few hours ago and finally got to the part where I get my Stand.

Damn son, now THAT certainly had some impact to it that the last four games didn't. Nice to see that Atlus really went places with this game's budget.

1. Is this game running at 60FPS? There's no clear consensus on whether it is or not.

2. Though one thing - Movement feels rather floaty and janky compared to 3 and 4. Anyone else feel this too? Kinda feels awkward and disorienting navigating around places.

Cause it's not a good way to balance it. They should nerf their effects and instead let me do them more.

They're balanced poorly? Why is making infiltration items or getting stat boosts from batting any different from anything else you might do? And I thought before you were arguing the realistic passage of time was the issue. Now it's the rewards balancing?

1. Is this game running at 60FPS? There's no clear consensus on whether it is or not.

Who's contributing to this consensus? Because I'm pretty sure most everyone knows it's a consistent 30.

Jiraiza

Damn, students are brutal.

6/6:

rI1sdCl.jpg

So, are you suggesting that they give you additional time to go shopping after doing a time consuming event in the evening? That would just require more button presses to get to bed 90% of the time. Or arbitrarily limit the game to activities that would reasonably take that amount of time? It's silly, but the alternatives would just be equally dumb.
No, not just shopping. Like, if a movie theater is nearby then let me watch a movie after swinging a bat for 5 minutes. Or let me go to spa. Or do some push-ups. Some of these activities should not take a full chunk of your day. S-Links, part time jobs, studying and Metaverse, make complete sense. Other activities need some rebalancing.

Why is this a bad thing? "Immersion"?
I don't know about others, but I find it frustrating when a game does something with the sole excuse of being a "video game". If it doesn't make sense withing the world and rules of the game that devs themselves have created, then it's not good and they have to reconsider it. The sim parts of Persona are supposed to be realistic. Spending an entire evening with friends is believable. Swinging a bat and then saying "oh it's late, I have to get home", isn't

Jintor

Son of Sparda, it would be best if you went to sleep

i getcha, but dunno, gameplay first imho. persona is the kind of game where you're never going to avoid 'this takes an arbitrary amount of time' situations anyway, so why not just extend it to the whole thing

They're balanced poorly? Why is making infiltration items or getting stat boosts from batting any different from anything else you might do? And I thought before you were arguing the realistic passage of time was the issue. Now it's the rewards balancing?
It is about passage of time. Someone said that if they make them less time consuming then that will affect the game's balance, so that's why I said they need to nerf them or something.

Otherwise I'm talking about passage of time, yes.

No, not just shopping. Like, if a movie theater is nearby then let me watch a movie after swinging a bat for 5 minutes. Or let me go to spa. Or do some push-ups. Some of these activities should not take a full chunk of your day. S-Links, part time jobs, studying and Metaverse, make complete sense. Other activities need some rebalancing.

I don't know about others, but I find it frustrating when a game does something with the sole excuse of being a "video game". If it doesn't make sense withing the world and rules of the game that devs themselves have created, then it's not good and they have to reconsider it. The sim parts of Persona are supposed to be realistic. Spending an entire evening with friends is believable. Swinging a bat and then saying "oh it's late, I have to get home", isn't

So, let me get this straight. You want rewards and passage of time to get close to being 1 to 1 with its realistic equivalents. If you watched a movie for three hours and got three points of guts, your evening would then be over. Alternatively, you could go batting for an hour, get one point in proficiency, and then have another two hours to do things. Is this correct?

So, let me get this straight. You want rewards and passage of time to get close to being 1 to 1 with its realistic equivalents. If you watched a movie for three hours and got three points of guts, your evening would then be over. Alternatively, you could go batting for an hour, get one point in proficiency, and then have another two hours to do things. Is this correct?
Not necessarily 1 to 1, but yes you get the gist of it.

Jintor

i'm starting to enter the stage of the game where if i'm not actively on a palace raid i get 3-4 texts each day being like "HEY WANNA HANG" or other misc stuff

feelsgoodman

Toki767

Ehh, I found the 2nd boss easy, so I hope that's not the case lol

If it makes you feel better, I thought the 3rd Palace in general had harder enemies than the 2nd Palace.

I was basically out of SP healing items and most of my characters were out of SP by the time I reached the Treasure lol

Not necessarily 1 to 1, but yes you get the gist of it.

OK. Well, getting into the nitty gritty of time management could be cool, but Persona 5 is loooong as fuck. Doing at minimum two time consuming activities a day, which is already in addition to probably a non-time consuming activity, already takes a lot of clicking around. Too much of it could distract from the main game and get boring.

Maybe if the game was half as long it could be cool to get in the weeds with that kind of stuff. But I really don't see the problem with going, "batting cages? Yeah, you spent the whole evening there."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom