• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

delume

Last JRPG I played was I believe Bravely Second. The genre isn't one I go out of my way to try usually. 15 hours in to P5 (my first Persona) and sweet baby Jesus, this game is incredible. The style, systems, plot and music are all top notch. One thing though, could I please get a moment to study, read my books, watch DVDs and hang out with my mates! ;) This game's use of time is brilliant and has successfully encouraged me to take actions that feel right instead of just min-maxing. Bravo!

Are you talking about the writing of female characters in their game(s) or real life stuff with Atlus employees? I don't know anything about the company really.

I'm talking about the writing and advertising. The fact that generally depending on the game, the second the female character's arc is over she goes back to being exactly what the writers claim we should not be reducing women to. I actually noticed this because of how even handed P5 has been so far, minus a few things here and there.

Obviously we aren't in full Dancing All Night mode with the entry yet, but I really hope they didn't create a game in which
a girl tries to kill herself because of sexual assault
and then throw in an extended bathhouse creeper scenario played for laughs in the re-release

sam777

I have completed the first dungeon/castle and was wondering when you get more companions later on is their a way for those not in your party of four to gain XP?

I have completed the first dungeon/castle and was wondering when you get more companions later on is their a way for those not in your party of four to gain XP?

One of the skills acquired via social links allows party members who aren't in battle to gain XP, I just can't remember for the life of me which confidant nets you that ability. Someone else will be able to tell you though.

Sorry to always post the same question, i just hope that somebody that knows will see it!

So can somebody explain to me how the fortune arcana works (Rank 1)?

You pay 5000 yens to get one of your stats evolve more quickly on the same day.... tried it with kindness, with a job and the plant, but it didn't change anything, still got the same amount of point anyway! So how does that work?

thanks

Last JRPG I played was I believe Bravely Second. The genre isn't one I go out of my way to try usually. 15 hours in to P5 (my first Persona) and sweet baby Jesus, this game is incredible. The style, systems, plot and music are all top notch. One thing though, could I please get a moment to study, read my books, watch DVDs and hang out with my mates! ;) This game's use of time is brilliant and has successfully encouraged me to take actions that feel right instead of just min-maxing. Bravo!

It's crazy how invested you get into these games.

I've gotten legit mad at it when it doesn't let me spend my time as I want to. Like, damn it, it's raining right now, I need to be at the bath!

I love hearing how much newcomers are getting into P5. :)

Domstercool

Sorry to always post the same question, i just hope that somebody that knows will see it!

You pay 5000 yens to get one of your stats evolve more quickly on the same day.... tried it with kindness, with a job and the plant, but it didn't change anything, still got the same amount of point anyway! So how does that work?

thanks

Was it three points you gained? I don't think the game shows more than 3 (but the extra one is hidden and applied). If you normally gain one or two, then a third will appear.

Was it three points you gained? I don't think the game shows more than 3 (but the extra one is hidden and applied). If you normally gain one or two, then a third will appear.

nope, i tried the flower job that give you only two kindness points, and still got two after i paid the fortune telling! (i tried two time to make sure i choose the correct stat)

Chaos17

thanks

That's mean it's hidden, just like how the game tell you having X persona will boost the relationship but you don't actualy see it.

That's mean it's hidden, just like how the game tell you having X persona will boost the relationship but you don't actualy see it.

with the persona and the relationship, you clearly see it, you always gain two or three points with a persona, but without it, it's only one point or two max, and it shows with the littles smiley music notes

TheBear

What should I have completed, what level should I be, confidants made before finding the first dungeon treasure? I have eleven days left and have just entered the tower. Also what should I be spending money on? Should I be buying weapons?

Domstercool

with the persona and the relationship, you clearly see it, you always gain two or three points with a persona, but without it, it's only one point or two max, and it shows with the littles smiley music notes

That's not true. I've had three notes with no Persona buff. There's various factors that take into account what you gain - answer, location, etc.

Tips on dungeon 2 boss on hard mode?
I don't really have the time to cast buffs / debuffs. It's pretty much 2 shot for any attack. Do I need the Phys All skills from Ryuji and Yusuke? I get the feeling that I need to go all in but I can't deal enough damage without risking death on next round.

What should I have completed, what level should I be, confidants made before finding the first dungeon treasure? I have eleven days left and have just entered the tower. Also what should I be spending money on? Should I be buying weapons?

Lv11 is the best for the first dungeon boss. All of the skills are super duper useful. You'll be fine.

Dugna

That's not true. I've had three notes with no Persona buff. There's various factors that take into account what you gain - answer, location, etc.

Sometimes you get 3 points without a persona, but if you have a persona of the arcana is guarantees you maxium. Example

Question 1
A = 0 points without persona, 1 point with a persona
B = 3 points without persona, 3 points with a persona
stuff like that but overall having the persona of the arcana you're spending time with always nets more points when you answer with a point gainer.

Domstercool

Sometimes you get 3 points without a persona, but if you have a persona of the arcana is guarantees you maxium. Example

Question 1
A = 0 points without persona, 1 point with a persona
B = 3 points without persona, 3 points with a persona
stuff like that but overall having the persona of the arcana you're spending time with always nets more points when you answer with a point gainer.

Yeah, I was just referring to getting 3 points. You will get a buff with a Persona, but 3 is possible without.

Toki767

I would suggest using the Network button to see what people's average levels are and what activities they're doing on that particular day. It's a good way to see how you measure up to what everyone else is doing.

And early on I'd definitely suggest buying SP healing items in vending machines at school and outside the bath house. Weapons/armor are useful too, but for the most part you'll probably be using spells to beat enemies. So I'd say go for armor over weapons to start.

so for the fortune arcana it works, but it will never shows it? Even with the +1 or +2 knowledge? I wanted to know since i don't want to spend 5000 almost every day for nothing, haha

Ferrio

Banned
Damn, personas take so long to level up. They can't keep up with my own levels, and I never get them to a point that I want to fuse them :(

Toki767

Damn, personas take so long to level up. They can't keep up with my own levels, and I never get them to a point that I want to fuse them :(

They're not meant to keep up with your level. You're meant to fuse them to other persona that are closer to your level.

Such is the way of Shin Megami Tensei. :p

there's rarely a point in evolving them except for some rare skill, and in the end game! Sometimes you'll get one level, but there's no point to get more, just fuse them and make a lot of confident rank grow to get more XP!

Chaos17

For confidant: I suggest you to level up the barista asap because you will be able to craft sp item and you can't buy any during the game except on vending machines. But in general you don't neet to worry wich confidant to level up since they don't have a time limit.

For level: 9-10

For money: your priority is to buy armors because you won't be doing much normal attacks during the whole game.

I think I was around Lv 14 when tackling the first dungeon boss.

Normal difficulty.

Did you do a lot of grinding? I was only level 9 on normal when I got to the first boss. I had fused a persona with the attack down buff though, and spent some yen on better armour/weapons, which made it pretty trivial.

Hopefully it gets harder.

Oh hey, the sun is coming up, which means I've been playing Persona 5 for NINE HOURS STRAIGHT.

I'd love to post random thoughts about stuff, but they're nearly all spoilers that would require context to warn people about, so I'll just leave it at this: so far, for the most part, they've managed to expertly blend the old and familiar tropes with new and original ideas. The only thing is I think I wish they'd stray a bit further from some of the character archetypes (hi Ryosuke).

Recall

I hate not having time to carry playing at the moment. It's not exactly a game I can play in 30 minute bursts but I hope I get a few hours free tomorrow.

It's constantly on my mind as a game, I want to know what happens next and hear that funky music. There is an addictive quality to the game, which I did not expect :)

Ferrio

Banned
They're not meant to keep up with your level. You're meant to fuse them to other persona that are closer to your level.

Such is the way of Shin Megami Tensei. :p

there's rarely a point in evolving them except for some rare skill, and in the end game! Sometimes you'll get one level, but there's no point to get more, just fuse them and make a lot of confident rank grow to get more XP!

Fuse everything. Fuse all the time.

Ya I know, but there's still a few skills I wanted to grab. Like a holy attack angel is about to get.

How does exp distribution work with personas? Do they have to be out, attack, do damage?

Chaos17

Oh hey, the sun is coming up, which means I've been playing Persona 5 for NINE HOURS STRAIGHT.

I'd love to post random thoughts about stuff, but they're nearly all spoilers that would require context to warn people about, so I'll just leave it at this: so far, for the most part, they've managed to expertly blend the old and familiar tropes with new and original ideas. The only thing is I think I wish they'd stray a bit further from some of the character archetypes (hi Ryosuke).

Ryugi is more closer to Kanji but in the bad way rather than Yosuke, imo.
Kanji had short temper before meeting the heroes, shouted from time to time too and scared the shit of our heroes, lol

Ya I know, but there's still a few skills I wanted to grab. Like a holy attack angel is about to get.

How does exp distribution work with personas? Do they have to be out, attack, do damage?

you need to have the persona equipped when you finish the battle for it to gain exp, the others will gain nothing

jbug617

Banned
I'm getting my ass kicked in 1st dungeon
(specifically the tower). I'm at level 8 so I assume I need to grind more levels before going back up there.

PInk Tape

Banned
Y'all weren't kidding about the uptick in difficulty in the
third
palace. Geez, I barely got out of there in one piece after
scouting it out
>.>

Did you do a lot of grinding? I was only level 9 on normal when I got to the first boss. I had fused a persona with the attack down buff though, and spent some yen on better armour/weapons, which made it pretty trivial.

Hopefully it gets harder.

I didn't, or at least not intentionally. Might have gotten lost and doubled back once but I was fighting normally.

Actually it might be Lv 12... It's double digits for sure.

MSMrRound

I'm getting my ass kicked in 1st dungeon
(specifically the tower). I'm at level 8 so I assume I need to grind more levels before going back up there.

It's definitely possible to sneak your way past that portion of the dungeon that you mentioned, if you managed to figure out the positioning of the enemy e.g hoping that the red-hued enemy turn his back on you and you make a make-it-or-break-it dash for the next area.

I got to the boss at around level 9.

Merkunt

Welp; this kinda sucks: faced a Kin_ki with Charge and Matarukaja; negotiated with him and later found out he actually doesn't have those skills :/

Ryugi is more closer to Kanji but in the bad way rather than Yosuke, imo.
Kanji had short temper before meeting the heroes, shouted from time to time too and scared the shit of our heroes, lol

Weirdly, I find Kanji more thoughtful than Ryugi. Kanji doesn't really strike me as the type to be all
omg we're gonna be so famous and awesome when everyone knows us as the Phantom Thieves
. That and the general idiocy strike me as very Yosuke--Kanji was dumb a lot, but more in that he lacked knowledge rather than common sense. Also,
Operation Maidwatch
feels like a Yosuke thing too. Though that one I forgive because
OH MY GOD THE PAYOFF.

Y'all weren't kidding about the uptick in difficulty in the
third
palace. Geez, I barely got out of there in one piece after
scouting it out
>.>

I was level 19 when I started that dungeon and it's relatively easy so far (playing on normal). The
SP regen accessory
is pretty much a cheat code at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom