• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
So trophies, what do I need to know? Does difficulty matter? Missables? Multiple playthroughs required? Dialogue choices matter? General advice? I'm assuming it's along the lines of P4G. This is one of the few games where I don't want to check the list if possible.

ckohler

Ehh, I found the 2nd boss easy, so I hope that's not the case lol
So weird. 2nd boss was waaay harder than the first for me. However, when I finally did beat it I was in pretty good shape. I've resigned to believing I'll have to loose at least once to every boss going forward to figure out the correct tactics. Playing on Normal, btw.

Jintor

gender politics stuff

I don't get p5 sometimes...
the drag queens 'joke' is godawful, but the supporting character for the Devil SLink is treated pretty greatly. Though I guess that one's a bit more unclear, though the 'joke' of the character is pretty clearly intended to be their appearance... even though the actual way the story/writing treats them is almost 100% normal

japanese cultural sensitivity, man, it's a weird thing

Saprol

Sweet, my biggest throws were from one of Mementos boss around $11,000. Level C. What level is that 50k throw

I'm running a 42 luck persona. So C bosses early on were 45-50k. The latest one I fought was 65k-70k but it was way more annoying as it was a spellcaster spanning 3 elements.

I stacked luck by feeding a treasure demon that gives enough xp to level. Then I made sure the level bonuses include luck and as few other stats as possible (which resets when you cancel at the confirmation screen).

It's cheaper to do this with the 1/day limit but you can accelerate it by re-registering to the compendium, deleting, and then summoning to repeat the sacrifice. Obviously don't invest too much yen if you don't foresee yourself needing to summon / buy as much.

GAKUI8A.png

MTC100

Banned
The game's basic theme is adults are shitty, it's really not a difficult leap to extrapolate...

The degree of shittyness however is influence by... well you know if you've played P4, it's a theme that you can see happening everytime with the series. And if you listen closely you realize that those "shitty adults" are victims themselves.

Also if you visited M
ement
os, then you should realize that the adults aren't the only only ones that are influenced. Like in prior games age doesn't matter, however adults have more influence over the world than teenagers and that's quite realistic.

So to sum up the theme of a Persona game correctly: People don't listen to
their inner self, let their Personas grow in power until only their twisted desire is left that controlls all their actions. In P5 you are more or less exorsizing those desires(that materialize as treasures) by taking one's heart...
-This becomes obvious the longer you play the game.

Opa-Pa

finally started

personally i dont understand the initial premise
why would a guy that rescued a women from being raped be sentenced and why would everybody treat him shitty even though they kniw his story (especially the restaurant owner, who seems like a decent guy so far)

Yeah this could have been handled better, but it's actually explained in more detail later on (and it does make sense, surprisingly).

The over the top shittiness of most adults, especially at school is hard to buy most times though.

Domstercool

Started playing this Monday just before 1pm (when it arrived in the post) and I've already clocked 87 hours and 30 mins..... lol.

Thank god I decided to use the last remaining holidays I had for the week before my holidays reset on April 10th. It was a good decision. :)

Dugna

some of the dubbed voices are iffy compared to the Japanese track but man, whoever voiced Ryuji for the Eng Dub has done a great job compared to the rest. He actually fits the character like the voice for the Japanese version does.

Chaos17

he's just your typical overenthusiastic numbskull
Nope, that mean 2 person wrote him because he so much better/calm in his social link while he is a total idiot who has an inferiority complex during main story.
Him and Mishima would turn so bad if MC wasn't around to put a leash on them. They crave too much for being famous to fill their complex.

duckroll

I beat the first dungeon! But wait! I also fucked myself! I thought I was a smartass and rented all 4 DVD sets at the same time thinking I can just power through them every night. This was right before I was introduced to the calling card system. So that meant 2 days out of that week were immediately blown. And THEN when I sat down to finally watch them, I realized they weren't movies but "series" that take two night each to finish. FML. I'm not going to finish them in time! This is just like real life! Hahahahahaha.

Jintor

Nope, that mean 2 person wrote him because he so much better/calm in his social link while he is a total idiot who has an inferiority complex during main story.
Him and Mishima would turn so bad if MC wasn't around to put a leash on them. They crave too much for being famous to fill their complex.

lol mishima is so bad lol, even through his social link.

nah, i think skull's just more into goofing off around more people in the main story than in his s-link where he's spending more time one-on-one.

OK. Well, getting into the nitty gritty of time management could be cool, but Persona 5 is loooong as fuck. Doing at minimum two time consuming activities a day, which is already in addition to probably a non-time consuming activity, already takes a lot of clicking around. Too much of it could distract from the main game and get boring.

Maybe if the game was half as long it could be cool to get in the weeds with that kind of stuff. But I really don't see the problem with going, "batting cages? Yeah, you spent the whole evening there."
Here is a question that could be spoilery so please spoiler-tag the answer. Do you have more "free" days (real free days, not the
"go study, oh wait let me waste all of your day in mementos"
kind) in Persona 5, in comparison to Persona 4?

Cause I think, I was okay with time management in P4, because of how little (in comparison to P5) was there to do in each given day. You still had to make choices but it was less frustrating, cause there were less time consuming activities available in the game. So, 2 activity per day made more sense. But I feel like in Persona 5 they added a lot of new stuff (as they should have) but didn't change the way time management work to accommodate for that. And that's why it feels more limited.

Chaos17

Woot, gym raise HP+SP

lol mishima is so bad lol, even through his social link.

nah, i think skull's just more into goofing off around more people in the main story than in his s-link where he's spending more time one-on-one.

I guess I miss seing Ryugi growing up in the main story like in previous Persona game.

Dugna

Here is a question that could be spoilery so please spoiler-tag the answer. Do you have more "free" days (real free days, not the

Cause I think, I was okay with time management in P4, because of how little (in comparison to P5) was there to do in each given day. You still had to make choices but it was less frustrating, cause there were less time consuming activities available in the game. So, 2 activity per day made more sense. But I feel like in Persona 5 they added a lot of new stuff (as they should have) but didn't change the way time management work to accommodate for that. And that's why it feels more limited.

I know you're not asking me, but yes since Persona 5 has alot more to offer, there are many ways to free up time and make more use of your day. Just explore the game and you will find out.

Jintor

eh i thought only really junpei develops in the main story of his game really (and i really disliked that implementation of it tbh). yosuke does a bit but not that much. i still haven't finished, but they usually save the bulk of the real char development for slinks (aside from the obvious 'jumpstart' for persona-users where they usually have some kind of epiphany or resolve moment)

Chaos17

eh i thought only really junpei develops in the main story of his game really (and i really disliked that implementation of it tbh). yosuke does a bit but not that much. i still haven't finished, but they usually save the bulk of the real char development for slinks (aside from the obvious 'jumpstart' for persona-users where they usually have some kind of epiphany or resolve moment)

I don't remember well for Junpei when he grow up but yeah I liked his change.
Yosuke does change over the time little by little, not just at the end.
So I hope tha Ryugi will follow them too because for now it's Yusuke who is my brother, lol

Jintor

man it's actually really nice to mindlessly grind momentos once in a while, just as a break from time management and palaces

HMD

I'm in the 4th palace
and I feel way too powerful, should I up the difficulty? Cause the fights are incredibly boring atm.

I've been thinking about the first palace, and it is one of the teams "go to" themes, though it's handled really well here. I love the whole thing, but..If you want to do commentary on inappropriately treating women as sex objects there for harassment, ogling, and sexist jokes I don't know, practice what you preach a little better.

Chaos17

When you will begin story 4 but I don't know if it's just because of the vacations because I finaly felt free like in previous game when I reached that point.
But before that point, I forced myself to stick with the game because like you I hate how restrictive the game is. You litteraly just read a visual novel with little exploration (this include social links for me) available outside of dungeon.

So I swear if next Persona gonna be restrictive like this one for 35h hours just to introduce you the game, I won't buy it because I hate this forced hand holding, damn it.

I've been thinking about the first palace, and it is one of the teams "go to" themes, though it's handled really well here. I love the whole thing, but..If you want to do commentary on inappropriately treating women as sex objects there for harassment, ogling, and sexist jokes I don't know, practice what you preach a little better.

Are you talking about the writing of female characters in their game(s) or real life stuff with Atlus employees? I don't know anything about the company really.

Is
Sojiro's
link broken?

I've hung out with him like five times and I'm not getting a new bonding scene. This is ridiculous. I have a
Hierophant
Persona and everything. I'm only rank 3 with him!

I know you're not asking me, but yes since Persona 5 has alot more to offer, there are many ways to free up time and make more use of your day. Just explore the game and you will find out.
When you will begin story 4 but I don't know if it's just because of the vacations because I finaly felt free like in previous game when I reached that point.
But before that point, I forced myself to stick with the game because like you I hate how restrictive the game is. You litteraly just read a visual novel with little exploration (this include social links for me) available outside of dungeon.

So I swear if next Persona gonna be restrictive like this one for 35h hours just to introduce you the game, I won't buy it because I hate this forced hand holding, damn it.
Thanks for the replies.

Then I guess I'll just push through for now. I'm 20 hours in so I thought this was supposed to be the extent of freedom that you get in Persona 5.

I was really enjoying this game until kelpies kept summoning friends. Over and over. I fought like 15 in one battle and then died on the very next fight, losing a lot of progress.

I haven't been this infuriated by an rng in quite some time. Also I bumped it down to easy before this even happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom