• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, you guys have me doubting my senses. I had finally put the game down for the day but now I'm starting it up again to make sure my ears aren't playing tricks on me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah but I was able to do make several in the evening after school before bed but Sunday it took all day for 1

Wait, really? Just one?

Sitting down at the crafting table basically means you're spending that part of the day crafting shit. And you'll get at least three lockpicks out of a single session in my experience, and it just takes the evening, not the whole day.

Did you figure out halfway that you didn't have enough materials? That does suck. But seeing as traveling around and shopping for stuff is completely unlimited, I make sure i'm stocked and prepared whenever I commit to a certain activity.

Dark_castle

these last couple of days in june have had the worst excuses for morgana keeping you locked up

'you gotta go watch fireworks tommorrow. tomorrow night. so... sleep early'

uh yeah morgana, how about no, i'm gonna read this boo-

SLEEP EARLY

okay jeeze you goddamn cat

Morgana is the worst cat ever. Running out of lockpicks, can't just let me make some, can you. Grrrrr

Kalentan

Morgana is the worst cat ever. Running out of lockpicks, can't just let me make some, can you. Grrrrr

Maybe my memory is bad but was it that bad in Persona 4? I feel like in that game the only times it ever didn't let you go out was after a dungeon. Most story stuff left you with the evening to do stuff fairly early on.

nOoblet16

The problem with this game is that outside of the dungeon days (that's what I will call the days in which you have to do dungeons), there is no consistency in what days you get or how much time in a day you get to do stuff.

Basically the game expects you to do all the social stuff during the dungeon days, as those days are really the only days where you can plan things out.

J Jizzle

I'm still on the fence about Yusuke & his English voice. Admittedly I've only just met him a few hours ago though so hopefully he grows on me over time. Maybe it's just due to how different he sounds & acts compared to the others.

FHIZ

Maybe my memory is bad but was it that bad in Persona 4? I feel like in that game the only times it ever didn't let you go out was after a dungeon. Most story stuff left you with the evening to do stuff fairly early on.
I think there were a lot of bullshit excuses to make you go to bed in P4, but the difference is you didn't have Teddy going "Go to bed Senpai, you've got a big day tomorrow" every single day. So the personification of that dumb reasoning makes it worse.

Kalentan

I think there were a lot of bullshit excuses to make you go to bed in P4, but the difference is you didn't have Teddy going "Go to bed Senpai, you've got a big day tomorrow" every single day. So the personification of that dumb reasoning makes it worse.

I guess that makes sense. It's not as bad if the game just says: "You should go to bed early tonight", then it is when it's an actual character saying it...

aravuus

Ryuji's evolved persona looks hilarious. Didn't lose his weakness, though. Didn't the party members' personas lose their weaknesses when they evolved in P4? Or do I just remember that wrong?

Well either way, I can't ditch him for Yusuke now.

Shahadan

Yeah I have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to give this job to a character. A shitty character at that.
I still have no idea why people like the cat despite everything. Is it because it's a cat or because of the (annoying) cutesy voice?

Because otherwise he's a jerk with Ryuji, is almost begging to suck my dick at any possible occasion, and is basically a fedora-wearing fat guy thinking he's a ninja when it comes to "lady" Ann.

Shit character always in your way. 10/10

Reedirect

I'm really, really bad at turn-based RPGs so I'm playing on easy and have my party members acting freely during battle. I'm only after the first dungeon so it's not been difficult at all, but I imagine there will some spike later on. Anyone else also doing this? I can't really tell if the AI is good or bad, but I've been satisfied so far.

LiK

Game still bugs me that it won't let us make Lockpicks in the Evenings if we did anything in Palace/Mementos. Wish we could just buy them, lol

Just reached the first boss

After having to reset a week by accidentally doing the dungeon 1 day late and grinding for quite a while

Game is good fun

I don't like that i can't use the share features

And remote play is awesome!

With the third arc here, at least, the game was pretty good about letting you have the evenings until the dungeon kicked off proper.

The big change is that in P3 and P4 it was much, much easier to knock out a dungeon in a day or two.

P3 was different too because dungeons were at night and the vanilla release of P3 had almost nothing to at night so you never really felt like you were missing out by going to Tartarus.

Hoo-doo

Banned
After careful study, I am ready to report that my previous scientific findings were indeed correct.
Dungeon 3 theme >>> Dungeon 4 theme

3b8d7c5231b7a2da03a6b54f474cb3233a4b0e7732e018b4.jpg

Nonsense. Dungeon 4 theme is best.

Jintor

wowow ridiculous. fucking miniboss hit me with a mass brainwash second turn in, wasted everybody's turns, then pulls out a 200 damage to everyone move when i get it to a third health.

that'll teach me to fuck around against a miniboss trying to find weaknesses lol

Do you eventually learn that ability that allows team mates to step in a take the killing blow for the MC? I think game over when MC dies, even with revival items and spells is absolute bullshit.

Jintor

Do you eventually learn that ability that allows team mates to step in a take the killing blow for the MC? I think game over when MC dies, even with revival items and spells is absolute bullshit.

people joked about 'you reached level 2! Yosuke will now DIE FOR YOU', but man, it was convenient

Shahadan

Especially bullshit when a random enemy can cast an instakill on your MC because why not

aravuus

^ Alright Mr. Narukami, thank Yu!

people joked about 'you reached level 2! Yosuke will now DIE FOR YOU', but man, it was convenient

Hahah yeah, this always made me laugh.

But yeah, Ryuji's rank 9 perk was "Chance to shield Joker from an otherwise fatal attack". I assume it's the same for every party member. No idea how often it triggers - hopefully like.. All the time.

MTC100

Banned
Geez. Tomorrow they start releasing the DLC.

If you get all DLC from the 11th & 18th april, you pay 50 €/$.

This is crazy.

So crazy that I actually buy all that shit.

Normally I dislike DLCs of that kind but I am fine with them here cause you do something good in donating money to the company that made this great game. And to be honest, with all this content and time you spend with the game it's at least worth as much as three times the price of a normal AAA Title you throw away after 8-10 hours...

Mupod

it's odd because they had countermeasures for instant death spells even in P3. Unless there are some in P5 that I haven't found yet. Running into a hama/mudo user with no weaknesses is nerve wracking, especially since they seem to have 100% accuracy on your party members. I haven't gotten a game over from it yet, at least.

I think game over when MC dies, even with revival items and spells is absolute bullshit.

Totally agree, seems like a totally arbitrary "CUZ HARDCORE" design decision. It doesn't even make sense. I think insta-kill spells are bullshit too, ESPECIALLY in conjunction with that. One time I got ambushed, there were like 4 or 5 enemies, and they ALL cast Mudo. Entire party wiped in 1 turn. That's just frustrating, I know I shouldn't get ambushed, but I don't think 1 bad turn should lead to a party wipe from full HP. There's some shit in this game that gets me going, man.

KorrZ

Man this game just keeps getting better. I'm only about 12.5 hours in right now but so far it's exactly what I wanted: more Persona 4 but bigger and expended upon.

Morgana is starting to piss me off though (love the character) STOP TELLING ME THAT I WANT TO GO TO BED! I want to study like the game keeps saying I should but I haven't had a fucking chance since they mentioned it!

Totally agree, seems like a totally arbitrary "CUZ HARDCORE" design decision. It doesn't even make sense. I think insta-kill spells are bullshit too, ESPECIALLY in conjunction with that. One time I got ambushed, there were like 4 or 5 enemies, and they ALL cast Mudo. Entire party wiped in 1 turn. That's just frustrating, I know I shouldn't get ambushed, but I don't think 1 bad turn should lead to a party wipe from full HP. There's some shit in this game that gets me going, man.

Totally agree, it's a little frustrating and feels like your life can totally depend on RNG. It's very frustrating especially when the save rooms can be pretty spaced apart. Losing 30-45 mins of progress because your MC gets insta killed is infuriating and has made me turn the game off.

Blunoise

Question. When I max out a romance a girl, like sadayo for instance can I call her and invite her somewhere or is that it and I only see her for time events?

mike6467

I've started investing more time in defending against enemy strengths then I have hitting their weaknesses with my MC.

I find it more satisfying to see a big "BLOCK" show up on screen then I do when the enemy goes down due to weakness. I had a full physical Null build going into the dungeon 3 boss, and that shit combined with (item spoiler)
spotlights
was just the best feeling. Over and over it was just a big FUCK YOU until he went down :D

I'm not defending it, I've seen two game over screens thanks to self-destructs. With that said the second I see an enemy that has those abilities, I switch to something that nulls it, and I leave it on the MC for that whole area where the enemy is. Also carry vanish balls for ambushes. The instakill is a penalty for not doing that, just like the ambush is a penalty for not paying attention when you're approaching enemies. Are there going to be some bullshit moments? Yeah, and I'm not a fan, but if you don't minimize your risk then you can't complain too much.

Edited for incorrect quote.

nOoblet16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnHqMeGR-rE
Search your heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbwljew1UbE
And you criminals get the extended version. I expect an apology.
You didn't get my joke. I know what the theme sounds like.

I personally find it inferior to dungeon 4 because it does not have as much variation in tempo or style and it loops too often eventhough it's only 1:50 min long. The dungeon 4 theme i.e. The days when my mother was here has a LOT more variation and the entire track is 4:00 min long.

HMD

Same thing happened to me, the entire party was cursed after an ambush of 5 enemies. I had to wait 3 turns and literally watch my party die.

So what's the optimal party to have because I find myself switching pretty frequently. I usually favour makoto, yusuke and morgana.

I prefer Ryuji over Yusuke, his Phys damage is insane.

Kalentan

I began a Mementos boss fight that, after Makoto's first attack, the boss did Rampage, got a critical on my main character and then hit him again and killed him...

It was like... I could have done nothing to prevent the attack. The fight had literally just begun. No one else was dead...

Especially bullshit when a random enemy can cast an instakill on your MC because why not
Not like you can negate instakills or anything *_*

So much whining in this thread when your required to do anything more than then hit a weakness.
I know many people here are new to SMT games, but it's still frustrating to read "bullshit!", instead of "So tips for X enemy type?"

Jintor

So much whining in this thread when your required to do anything more than then hit a weakness.
I know many people here are new to SMT games, but it's still frustrating to read "bullshit!", instead of "So tips for X enemy type?"

it's cos you can lose pretty substantial amounts of progress to insta-kill coin flips.

yeah i usually keep a null dark/light around when i can get up to it but there's a pretty substantial amount of time when that's not an option

Yeah I have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to give this job to a character. A shitty character at that.
I still have no idea why people like the cat despite everything. Is it because it's a cat or because of the (annoying) cutesy voice?

Because otherwise he's a jerk with Ryuji, is almost begging to suck my dick at any possible occasion, and is basically a fedora-wearing fat guy thinking he's a ninja when it comes to "lady" Ann.

Shit character always in your way. 10/10

I like having Morgana around (bedtime policing aside). Also, more people need to tell Ryuji off, he's a total idiot blowhard. With his stupid "welps" and "wassuppppsss" and his embarrassing t shirt logos. And why does he walk that way? Does he secretly spend a lot of time on a horse? I'd happily ditch him if I could, but clearly he and MC are bros for life or whatever >:-(

Shahadan

It's bullshit when they do something you can't avoid, like at the start of the battle. Or when randoms use Mudo at a point when you don't have any defense against that. Or just when they keep all targeting only the MC for no reason beside bad luck.
Do I even have to explain this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom