• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_

wait, is the only way to max female confidants to romance them? I get a feeling I'm stuck with Ann at rank 9 because I chose the non-romance path.

wamberz1

Ugh fucking Ryuji

Spoilers on 6/13
He is truly the weakest link of the team and is so stupid and loud. He drags them down more than help so far at this point.

Right in front of Makoto, thanks dumbass.

Seriously. I get that every group needs a team punching bag for comedy relief but dude just cant get a W

Domstercool

wait, is the only way to max female confidants to romance them? I get a feeling I'm stuck with Ann at rank 9 because I chose the non-romance path.

No, just pick the none romance option. It's easy to tell which it is, then proceed to get their points up for a rank 10.

Ugh fucking Ryuji

Spoilers on 6/13
He is truly the weakest link of the team and is so stupid and loud. He drags them down more than help so far at this point.

Right in front of Makoto, thanks dumbass.

Just wait until after you finish the next palace. He's truly the dumbest.

Neoweee

Boss of the 2nd dungeon is making me seriously rethink playing on hard... too bad I'm too stubborn to lower it. :/

The boss was what got me to drop from Merciless to Normal, then back up to Hard the moment the boss was done.

Some thoughts on 2nd dungeon boss:
The window for damaging, etc. is way too short. Not only does Hard make it difficult to even heal past the damage output, but the "revived" sections during the second cycle are easily one-hittable on Easy, but aren't on Hard.

Hard is, on paper, the largest increase in difficulty relative to Normal of any SMT NG Hard Mode, and the 2nd dungeon boss exemplifies how that ends up going from theory to in-practice.

R0ckman

Phantom Thief concept spoilers:
By stealing a target's treasure, the Phantom Thieves forcefully change a target's personality, whether they want to or not. Those they go after are despicable, and only presented with the threat of being killed off do the Shadows reluctantly agree to being admonished by them. But the thing here is that, even if the Shadow didn't care about changing their personality after being beaten, the real life person's personality will still be shifted if their treasure (the object of their desires) is stolen.

Not to mention the fact that a Shadow doesn't actually give an accurate representation of a person, but them in their most despicable, warped form. Real life counterparts have a level of nuance and good that the Shadows don't convey. Whatever the case is, the Phantom Thieves are changing the personalities of these people without their consent. That is immoral, and it is the ambiguity that the director of the game has repeatedly stated, in interviews, he wanted to convey.

I'm assuming this a Japanese thing in their philosophy, but its a pretty big argument to claim correcting a conscience is a "personality change." To be honest, the lack of one is seen as a mental disorder in psychology. Basically its the fundamental aspect of a sociopath down to them convincing themselves that they are victims. The shadow from a philosophical standpoint represents the cognative disonance in its purest form (whether the writers intended that or not). The person in real life is just stabilized by being convinced by the shadows rationality behind the wrong they are doing. If there was no cog dis, there would be no corruption from what I understand.

But from what I'm understanding, the treasure stealing part doesn't really need to happen which would be the wrong thing.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Another thing worth mentioning:

Hold R2 (Dash) to run jump/climb without having to press X for the prompts. Exclamation only points, though.

You can also hold X as well and it will work the same, just without the sprinting.

FluxWaveZ

I'm assuming this a Japanese thing in their philosophy, but its a pretty big argument to claim correcting a conscience is a "personality change." To be honest, the lack of one is seen as a mental disorder in psychology. Basically its the fundamental aspect of a sociopath down to them convincing themselves that they are victims. The shadow from a philosophical standpoint represents the cognative disonance in its purest form (whether the writers intended that or not). The person in real life is just stabilized by being convinced by the shadows rationality behind the wrong they are doing. If there was no cog dis, there would be no corruption from what I understand.

But from what I'm understanding, the treasure stealing part doesn't really need to happen which would be the wrong thing.

You're misinterpreting how the actions of the Phantom Thieves are performed. A target's treasure absolutely needs to be stolen for the change of heart to happen; it's the crux of how they change hearts, not just talking it out with a Shadow. You'll need to play more to see how things unfold later on in the game.

Bucca

It's pretty amazing how SIGNIFICANTLY better Morgana is compared to P4's Teddy.

Like, wow.

OrionX

The boss was what got me to drop from Merciless to Normal, then back up to Hard the moment the boss was done.

Some thoughts on 2nd dungeon boss:
The window for damaging, etc. is way too short. Not only does Hard make it difficult to even heal past the damage output, but the "revived" sections during the second cycle are easily one-hittable on Easy, but aren't on Hard.

Hard is, on paper, the largest increase in difficulty relative to Normal of any SMT NG Hard Mode, and the 2nd dungeon boss exemplifies how that ends up.

Yeah I was managing somewhat until that part, then when
they started reviving
I was like oh you've gotta be shitting me. lol

Chaos17

Yusuke turning into best bro.

Yusuke shouldn't have let Ryuji off the hook for the shit he pulls. I'm glad he called his ass out.

Pretty telling Anne took responsibility while Ryuji deflected the blame despite being a part of it.

He is my bro, I've a lot of fun during his social his social link.

I do feel a little dirty knowing I'm planning on a NG+ playthrough. All these ignored Confidants because I want to focus on stats + my teammates for their bonuses.

Funnily enough I'm also now in a completely different mindset late game (last 1/3) where I'm now far more interested in the story stuff rather than having free time to hang out with people.

Also the flashforward stuff has gone from "I don't care" to "wow these are great." These future plot teases...

Curufinwe

So after my one death on Normal I was given options about starting the battle again or going back to the last safe room. But I just went to the title screen and reloaded cause that's what I'm used to doing in Persona, and I wasn't losing much progress.

I was a bit surprised and my initial reaction was they should leave this kind of stuff for Easy mode, but if it means more people finish the game then it's probably a good idea.

Weebos

Banned
So quick question about party member Personas:

Do they get additional abilities when their Personas evolve at Confidant level 10, or is it just aesthetic? I'm hoping some of them get more elemental coverage.

So after my one death on Normal I was given options about starting the battle again or going back to the last safe room. But I just went to the title screen and reloaded cause that's what I'm used to doing in Persona, and I wasn't losing much progress.

I was a bit surprised and my initial reaction was they should leave this kind of stuff for Easy mode, but if it means more people finish the game then it's probably a good idea.

They only give you that option for Boss battles, which I don't mind.

Neoweee

Yeah I was managing somewhat until that part, then when
they started reviving
I was like oh you've gotta be shitting me. lol

I'm just happy Atlus allowed us to change difficulty levels mid-game, which has previously been locked or conditional. Granted, going from Merciless-to-Hard or vice-versa is counter--intuitive (Merciless is often easier on a fight-by-fight basis, but in the long run screws you by starving you of EXP and levels), switching between Hard/Normal is probably going to be enjoyable for a good number of players.

I'd like to see Atlus take a stab at more nuanced difficulty changes. I really liked Raidou 2's random Fiend encounters in Hard, but that was an NG+-only mode. A flat damage multiplier is virtually impossible to do well, and compounds especially poorly with the Merciless leveling change. Merciless probably would have been a great difficulty level with a few changes (SP regeneration becomes less effective, but the EXP penalty isn't as severe, for example).

pablito

So quick question about party member Personas:

Do they get additional abilities when their Personas evolve at Confidant level 10, or is it just aesthetic? I'm hoping some of them get more elemental coverage.

They get an evade ability to the element they're weak to.

Please tell me I can do social links after dungeon 7,feel like I've spent too much time boosting stats if not, been clearing dungeons on hard in 1 day since the 3rd aswell c:

I liked Ryuji a lot in April, more than Yosuke at least. He, however, has not grown at all to where I'm at in the game a couple months later and is really only an annoyance now. Everyone else on the team has had some real skin in the game and grown from it (as is the Persona series' specialty) yet Skull has not followed suit at all. Hoping it gets better.

I'm in late June but, so far, I like what they are doing with his character.
He is becoming obnoxious but I like the dynamic and conflict that is coming from having a character who started with the best intentions become obsessed with the fame and allure from becoming "famous". I think it helps give some validity to Goro's arguments.

Sjefen

Downloading Persons 5 know, cant wait too sink my teeth into it. I remember in Persona 4 Golden I grinded some things that wasn't that important, so any general tips or just go in blind, no spoilers off course?

Bucca

Downloading Persons 5 know, cant wait too sink my teeth into it. I remember in Persona 4 Golden I grinded some things that wasn't that important, so any general tips or just go in blind, no spoilers off course?

Go in blind and play how you want to play and enjoy things that you want to enjoy.

It is by far and away the PEAK of the series in every way.

Gotta say this feels even slower to start than Persona 4 did. Not sure if this is just that I got used to the intro of P4 before the original and golden or if it's because there's a couple more things to introduce before you get proper control.

Toki767

I didn't know:

1. If MC dies in battle, it's game over.
2. Despair kills you if you don't cure it.

Ah well. At least I didn't get very far from the last time I saved.

It's been a long time since I liked a character as much as Yusuke

I'm on 6/12
everything with this characters feels right, his design is great,
his background is touching, he has weird personality that can lead to good lines or funny moments and his seiyuu is perfect. Also he seems great at fighting. And the fact that he got no house after his "father's" incident is touching to me

HMD

I'm finally done with the fifth palace, just need to send the calling card.
Did it in one day and it was the most boring thing I've had to do in this game. I think SP accessories really kill the game, nothing this OP should be this easy to get. I believe if I had to do it without the accessories it would easily take me 4 visits to barely finish it. But at least I would be having fun not mind numbingly doing an all-out-attack every single fight. But to be honest the music in this palace was annoying, I'm glad palaces get destroyed after we finish them because I don't ever wanna hear that track ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom