• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So hyped for this---played Persona 4 a couple of years ago and had a blast, but this looks like it takes things to a whole new level.

Gonna put Breath of the Wild to the side for awhile though, but it'll be nice to play a more linear story-driven game for a change of pace.

haolee

Neo Member
Can anybody explain what the "online Thieves Guild" is ?

The ingame tutorial didn't give me a clue on how to use it or what it actually does.

During daily activities, pressing the touchpad will bring up percentages of what other players spend their time on during that period.

There's also a mechanic to call for online help during dungeons, but I never used it. I finished the game just fine without even touching that.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You know I was about to say my biggest complaint still with the series is not re-designing a bulk of the SMT Demons to better fit the Persona-motif.

Soriku

You know I was about to say my biggest complaint still with the series is not re-designing a bulk of the SMT Demons to better fit the Persona-motif.

Redesigns would probably be worse, the classics are fine...and in HD finally.

Also there would be hundreds to redesign.

QuadOpto

Hm....are a good number of people following the max s.link guide? (As in, are those options seeming to be the highest percentage followed on the online Thieves' Guild thing?) If so, it could make it easier to follow the right steps without having to look back-and-forth from the guide.:p

Exentryk

Very detailed OT! Great work!

It looks like I won't be able to jump in to this game straight away, as I have a really busy month. But hopefully things would have settled down by mid-May and I'd be able to start the game then, if not earlier. Still going in blind, and am ready to lose 2-3 months in this game. Let's see how I enjoy my first Persona game.

I think he was doomed from the start for me because he reminds me of too many of the personality trails I hated in Junpei. Ryuji
flies off the handle way too easy, takes the "adults are evil" stuff too far, and his inability to ever control his temper constantly puts the entire team into worse—and potentially dangerous—situations. I felt he had way too little growth over the course of the game, and never did anything to make me come to like him. Also, I hated his motivations for wanting to continue as the Phantom Thieves once things got going. I think that character needed to be there, and it makes sense, but I just couldn't stand HIS way of bringing that to the story. I constantly wished I had more dialog options to go directly against what Ryuji was saying.

I think, putting myself in the shoes of the MC, I'd never want a friend like Ryuji in really life, so it was super hard for me to relate to him or feel anything positive toward him. (While Yosuke was someone I could be friends with.)

Every time there was a text from Ryuji that I could then totally ignore, it made me a little happy inside. :D

Preach

Slaythe

One last question :

If you beat down shadows in a dungeon, and then leave and come back the next day, do they all come back ?

Is the goal trying to find safe rooms you can teleport to when you come back ?

Thx :x

haolee

Neo Member
One last question :

If you beat down shadows in a dungeon, and then leave and come back the next day, do they all come back ?

Is the goal trying to find safe rooms you can teleport to when you come back ?

Thx :x

Hell, some will respawn even when you leave to a different area and go back.

So, yes. The safe rooms are there for a reason. Use them to go back and forth easily.

Is there any ingame reason why we are able to teleport between saferooms? Seems strange that they can just warp to a saferoom before a boss room from the front gate :p

Slaythe

Is there any ingame reason why we are able to teleport between saferooms? Seems strange that they can just warp to a saferoom before a boss room from the front gate :p

They can send their energy there since it's not affected by distortions......

Why not.

They can do whatever they want over these worlds when there's no distortion from what I gather.

Joqu

I've been playing this since Friday like a filthy phantom thief, I just finished the first dungeon. Loving it, but I didn't expect otherwise.

I don't think there's much I need to say since it's all obvious stuff (looks so much better now, proper dungeons, so stylish, etc..) but I gotta say, I'm still getting major P2 vibes from this, I'm quite happy about that. Hard to explain though, I'm sure the color scheme is influencing me somewhat and there's some obvious stuff like guns and demon negotiations being back but we already knew that, but I do appreciate how it's way less sunshine and rainbows than P4 while being dark in a very different way from P3. So, I think it's reminiscent of it in the writing department, in the sense that I especially like it? Hm. :p

Oh yeah, I love the negotiations, I'm so glad they've returned. I remember being shot down by people every time I expressed I wanted them back. >.>

Such gorgeous demon models too! They better make plenty of use of them outside of Persona.

Anyway, can someone give me an idea of how long is an okay time to spend on these dungeons? I feel like it was theoretically possible in 2 but the SP pretty much made that impossible for me. I did it in 3. Did I do all right?

And do I have any good ways to restore SP? I can make coffee now, is that my best one?

Salz01

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but does it have an engaging story? Never played a persona game before.

iFirez

Anyone in the UK got this early yet? Holding off my digital preorder just in case I see it somewhere today or tomorrow.

Plural of Persona is Personae.
I hated reading "Personas" in P4G

Are they not both valid? I keep encountering both.

I don't like that idea without Kaneko. I'd be fine with adding P1's redesigns as alternatives to their respective Personas though, like how Soul Hackers 3DS offers more than one design for Nekomata and Odin.

NKImfsW.jpg

Here's P1 Vishnu. His many avatars make him a pretty good representative of the concept of the Persona, so of course he's featured on the cover of all versions of P1.

Bladenic

Hm....are a good number of people following the max s.link guide? (As in, are those options seeming to be the highest percentage followed on the online Thieves' Guild thing?) If so, it could make it easier to follow the right steps without having to look back-and-forth from the guide.:p

What max S. Link guide?

Slaythe

So you guys said that a Persona you get at level 10 will level to 11 faster than a Persona you leveled from 1 to 10.

Does that include Personas in the compendium ? If you register one that is lv 10 (that you leveled from lv1), and buy him back, will he level faster to 11 or does that take into consideration what his original level was ? (1)

Thx

So you guys said that a Persona you get at level 10 will level to 11 faster than a Persona you leveled from 1 to 10.

Does that include Personas in the compendium ? If you register one that is lv 10 (that you leveled from lv1), and buy him back, will he level faster to 11 or does that take into consideration what his original level was ? (1)

Thx
The compendium has nothing to do with the exp formula, it's just a way to save persona at a higher level or with extra skills fused on

Jiraiza

Had some weird Spider-Man and Persona crossover dream last night. Must've been from playing so late into the night or something. Super sick, though.

Finally got Ann and her VA in English has been a little mediocre so far.

I'm confused by that answer.

You mean it retains the "slower exp" from its original level ?
A persona from the compendium is exactly the same as the persona that was registered. So yes the exp growths are the same. In fact it will even keep the exact same amount of xp as it had when it was registered

Wunder

A persona from the compendium is exactly the same as the persona that was registered. So yes the exp growths are the same. In fact it will even keep the exact same amount of xp as it had when it was registered

Is there a reason not to keep your persona up to date and registered? There's no way to have two versions of the same persona in the compendium, right?

Is there a reason not to keep your persona up to date and registered? There's no way to have two versions of the same persona in the compendium, right?
Correct. As for a reason to not constantly register better versions, a better persona will always cost more to resummon. Additionally you might want to be careful not register an inferior version of a persona that you got through battles over a fused persona

I pre-ordered the digital version. Is the preload not available in EU region yet?

I was going to get the physical PS3 version, but it got cancelled according to retailers here in Finland.

I wonder if it got cancelled completely in EU?

Wunder

Correct. As for a reason to not constantly register better versions, a better persona will always cost more to resummon. Additionally you might want to be careful not register an inferior version of a persona that you got through battles over a fused persona

Ah thanks for that second tip, I'll keep an eye out for that!

I mean the amount of xp needed to level is based on the specific persona. That said, if I register a persona that needs 500 more xp to level up, a re summoned version will also need 500 do to level up since total xp is stored when you register

Grewitch

You didn't understand the explanation given to you above?

From what I gather, if you register a level 1 persona, it will have the same exp growth as a level 1 persona. If you register a level 10 persona, it will have the same exp growth as a level 10 persona. The compendium has no effect on exp growth, it just records the persona as it was registered at the time.

You didn't understand the explanation given to you above?

From what I gather, if you register a level 1 persona, it will have the same exp growth as a level 1 persona. If you register a level 10 persona, it will have the same exp growth as a level 10 persona. The compendium has no effect on exp growth, it just records the persona as it was registered at the time.
I think your complicating the explanation a bit. Level 10 arsene resummoned through the compendium needs the same total xp to reach level 11 as one you started the game with. This number is going to be far higher than a persona you got through battle or fusion with base level 10

How difficult is this game compared to the previous 2 Personas? 3 was awful for me but 4 was alright except near the very end. My ego won't let me play the game below Normal. Are there any difficulty related trophies? Any items only available on specific difficulties? Can you switch difficulties mid-game? Is it possible to brute force difficult parts of the game by overlevelling? Can you skip cutscenes?

Also, how do you get the Japanese dub? Is it DLC or is it in a patch?

SOLDIER

Does the main character have an official name?

I always try to stick with the canon default names, as I suck making my own.

Slaythe

No.

He has a manga name, but the manga names never end up being the real names they decide to go with in the Anime and following games.

Joqu

Closest we've got is his manga name, Akira Kurusu. Those always get changed when we get a name in any spin-offs mind you, but it's sort of official?

It's what I went with.

edit: argh, beaten. It's a good name though, I like it!

My digital Pre-order still isn't downloading, is this a problem or is this the same for everyone?

I googled and got gaf and someone had this problem with Horizon so here's some work around. The first one worked for me.

"Library --> Search for Persona using the search bar --> Select the game and "Download" button should be up"

Go to the PS Store, like/rate the game. Go back to the library, click on Persona, go down to the Activities tab, click on the post about you rating/liking the game then click on Show Information. The Download button should show up now.

Will they implement pro support or HDR for this game? My small and only complain about this game is that the graphics look really dated. Some of the background looks almost PS2 level still. Like the ground or trees. But it's not a big deal because the game is too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom