• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifon

Does the game pick up as you play more? I'm a couple of hours in and struggling to feel urged to play anymore. Story / characters aren't gripping me at all, combat seems very typical jpeg. This is my first proper attempt at playing a Persona game, I was excited to see what all the fuss is about but I'm feeling abit disappointed at the moment :(

TokiDoki

Started my playthrough with English Dub . Any idea if I can continue my saves with Japanese Dub after I downloaded the free DLC ?

SOLDIER

Closest we've got is his manga name, Akira Kurusu. Those always get changed when we get a name in any spin-offs mind you, but it's sort of official?

It's what I went with.

edit: argh, beaten. It's a good name though, I like it!

It'll do for now.

Once an official name pops up in the inevitable anime spinoff I can re-roll it once Persona 5 Golden comes out.

Does the game pick up as you play more? I'm a couple of hours in and struggling to feel urged to play anymore. Story / characters aren't gripping me at all, combat seems very typical jpeg. This is my first proper attempt at playing a Persona game, I was excited to see what all the fuss is about but I'm feeling abit disappointed at the moment :(
I don't think this game is for you then. Becuase it's very "cutscene" heavy. And if you don't like the combat which is a huge part of this game....

I would return it and get my money back if I were you. The game is not for you imo.

Slaythe

I mean, stories, what you can do, and combat, do open up significantly as you play more.

But if you don't like it at all right now, I don't think you'll magically enjoy it.

Beat the first main story arc/dungeon, I think that's a good amount of time with the game to decide if you like it or not.

giphy.gif

Me waiting for my order to ship on Amazon.

I am so fucking excited to play this.

mollipen

I think it might be due to cultural differences. Yosuke and Ryuji both have tendencies that would label them as high school jock douchebags for westerners, whilst easterners might be more tolerant towards those kind of behavior. I knew people similar to them back in high school, and those kinds of people usually are strangely magnetic and genuinely likable.

I might be totally crazy in this thought, but I think Junpei and Ryuji are characters that guys will relate to better because they come off as "bros". Meanwhile, I thought Yosuke felt more like a character that could be friends with girls and not just a bro.

Agent Singh

Neo Member

I'd give it a couple more hours. I was the same at the start (and I'm a jrpg fan). I'm about 4 hours in now and I'm starting to get into it. The plot has picked up and the combat has opened up a bit.

Joqu

It'll do for now.

Once an official name pops up in the inevitable anime spinoff I can re-roll it once Persona 5 Golden comes out.

Sounds like a plan. Though I'm still not used to the P3 protag being referred to as anything but Minato Arisato, that's the downside of it. >>

I might be totally crazy in this thought, but I think Junpei and Ryuji are characters that guys will relate to better because they come off as "bros". Meanwhile, I thought Yosuke felt more like a character that could be friends with girls and not just a bro.

I'm baffled tbh. Yosuke shares all of their worst traits.

Lucifon

I mean, stories, what you can do, and combat, do open up significantly as you play more.

But if you don't like it at all right now, I don't think you'll magically enjoy it.

Beat the first main story arc/dungeon, I think that's a good amount of time with the game to decide if you like it or not.

I'll keep going and give it a good shot to that point then.

I'm hoping the Japanese voice dlc is better quality audio, it's really noticable that the bitrate is low / compression is high on the English voice overs.

btkadams

I absolutely hate using this excuse, but the game didn't actually get into the main loop of persona gameplay until like 5 hours in for me. I didn't get to decide what to do in my evenings until then. That's really the key point when the hooks get into me in these games. That balance of choosing to go into dungeons, building social links, or doing other stat-building activities is really the heart of these games for me, so it's hard to tell you to stop when I don't believe you've actually seen the proper game yet (in my eyes at least).

I'm only about 9 hours in though so maybe don't trust me more than someone who has played more. I'm having a great time with it now.

I would agree with that. Yosuke is my favorite character from P4, there is a lot to him.

Grewitch

I think your complicating the explanation a bit. Level 10 arsene resummoned through the compendium needs the same total xp to reach level 11 as one you started the game with. This number is going to be far higher than a persona you got through battle or fusion with base level 10

You're right, I hadn't accounted for that. Thanks for the clarification.

Can't speak to Ryuji yet but I can see that in regards to Junpei vs Yosuke.

Slaythe

I think your complicating the explanation a bit. Level 10 arsene resummoned through the compendium needs the same total xp to reach level 11 as one you started the game with. This number is going to be far higher than a persona you got through battle or fusion with base level 10

This is pretty clear, thanks :D !

I googled and got gaf and someone had this problem with Horizon so here's some work around. The first one worked for me.

"Library --> Search for Persona using the search bar --> Select the game and "Download" button should be up"

Go to the PS Store, like/rate the game. Go back to the library, click on Persona, go down to the Activities tab, click on the post about you rating/liking the game then click on Show Information. The Download button should show up now.

K the first one worked for me

Thank You :p

Chaos17

I don't really understand why people think Yosuke in P4 is joke character, maybe because of his voice actor in english ? Because in japanese, he really grew and you could totaly hear it in his voice how he is getting mature. Specialy the moment when they've a talk with Naoto. Yosuke put her in her place telling her that they're not playing detective. He is my best bro in P4.

Shahadan

They really went overboard on that one at the beginning. Tutorial messages every 5 minutes (sometimes even less, lol), very little room to do anything, lots of useless dialogue and most of the time you're only allowed to control your character for like 6 steps before another scene occurs.

Some people will have issues with that. I usually drop this kind of things pretty quickly and probably would have already if this was my first Persona game or if it wasn't so stylish.

ckohler

I don't really understand why people think Yosuke in P4 is joke character, maybe because of his voice actor in english ? Because in japanese, he really grew and you could totaly hear it in his voice how he is getting mature. Specialy the moment when they've a talk with Naoto. Yosuke put her in her place telling her that they're not playing detective. He is my best bro in P4.
He's introduced as a literal klutz; breaking Chie's DVD and falling into trash bins. Even the opening to P4G has him dancing with the trash bin on his head.

I'm not saying he doesn't grow as a character, they all do to certain degrees, but he's clearly introduced as being a likable goof.

-Amon-

Does anybody knows how's the English dub ? Do I have to stick to Japanese with subtitles ? My first persona game, I've read it's dialogue heavy but quality speech is really important for me.

Damn, I just found out Erika Harlacher, the English VA for Ann, was at my university yesterday doing a meet and greet and autograph signing. Kicking myself for missing that.

btkadams

Does anybody knows how's the English dub ? Do I have to stick to Japanese with subtitles ? My first persona game, I've read it's dialogue heavy but quality speech is really important for me.
I'm 9 hours in and I like it. I've always enjoyed the dubs in Persona games though.

First two days off I've had in awhile.... And no early persona for me... Guess I'll just go back to playing Zelda.

This talk of Ryuji being more Junpei than Yosuke makes me sad as Junpei was trash tier character.

My Persona 5 Take Your Heart was delayed...arriving Thursday now. This sucks. I'm contacting Amazon.

Didn't even tell me...I had to go check myself.

I dunno, I think Ryuji has a much better dynamic with Ann than Junpei did with Yukari or Yosuke with Chie. I'm also predisposed to hating Yosuke because I've known self-righteous asshats like him irl, while Junpei is just whiny. Ryuji's completely escaped the obnoxiousness trap so far, and (not actual spoiler)
he's also way hotter.

I get honorifics are still in this game but it seems that their use is dialed back significantly. I wonder why they kept them in at all.

Haven't played the English version yet but in the original Japanese they don't use honorifics that much. Maybe you've noticed that they only use honorifics when they meet someone and as they get used to each other they use their names only.

Ann call Ryuji and Yusuke by their family names at first, even Ryuji calls her Takamaki at the beginning.

Jiraiza

Heh,
Rise and Kanami
posters at the Station Square. Neat.

Got free roam, and man there's so much stuff to look at. Kind hard to decide what to do first.

They really went overboard on that one at the beginning. Tutorial messages every 5 minutes (sometimes even less, lol), very little room to do anything, lots of useless dialogue and most of the time you're only allowed to control your character for like 6 steps before another scene occurs.

Some people will have issues with that. I usually drop this kind of things pretty quickly and probably would have already if this was my first Persona game or if it wasn't so stylish.

This all sounds "bad" on paper but the game is very interesting/fun during those initial hours so I find this "issue' a bit overblown imo. I think Persona 4's was worse but that game too had me very interested from the get go. These games are long as hell so a 3-6 hour experience that's on rails isn't really nothing in the grand scheme of all things.

How come people are spending up to 15-20 hours on the first dungeon/plot arc?

Was it just me reading through text really fast, because I did not feel the game let you do much goofing around before that first plot arc ended. I'm like 15 hours in and I'm halfway through the 2nd dungeon. Am I rushing it too much?

This game definitely lives up to the hype, so far. So many improvements over P4, but I feel restrained that the
Mementos
and story Dungeon are seperate things and have to take up different days. I also feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to see and not enough time to go through half of them, feeling pressured by dungeon deadlines and
Mementos stuff

HMD

I have a tv in my room but I can't watch dvd's on it, how come? I keep clicking on it but the mc only watches the news.

Also why is Ann so hard to hang out with? I'm already rank 4 with Ryuji and I'm still rank 1 with Ann.

Slaythe

This all sounds "bad" on paper but the game is very interesting/fun during those initial hours so I find this "issue' a bit overblown imo. I think Persona 4's was worse but that game too had me very interested from the get go. These games are long as hell so a 3-6 hour experience that's on rails isn't really nothing in the grand scheme of all things.

That's because what he said was wrong.

How in hell is P5's beginning worse than 4 ? It this a joke ?

At least P5 hints at what it will be come right away, precisely to avoid people giving up on it early. P4 was a complete slog for newcomers.

SkylineRKR

How come people are spending up to 15-20 hours on the first dungeon/plot arc?

Was it just me reading through text really fast, because I did not feel the game let you do much goofing around before that first plot arc ended. I'm like 15 hours in and I'm halfway through the 2nd dungeon. Am I rushing it too much?

This game definitely lives up to the hype, so far. So many improvements over P4, but I feel restrained that the
Mementos
and story Dungeon are seperate things and have to take up different days. I also feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to see and not enough time to go through half of them, feeling pressured by dungeon deadlines and
Mementos stuff

Just run and finish dungeons ASAP, and then do side stuff. Thats my MO with this franchise anyway.

^ I would, but I haven't found a good way of restoring SP, and healing items are very expensive.

I have a tv in my room but I can't watch dvd's on it, how come? I keep clicking on it but the mc only watches the news.

Have you gone to the DVD rental place in Shibuya street? The DVD player is supposed to be bundled in. Perhaps the cat won't let you do it because you're supposed to go directly to sleep or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom