• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yu Narukami

One thing I haven't seen a lot of people comment on (perhaps I haven't read enough) is the fact that the combat interface skips menus in favor of using button mappings. It's a small thing, but after a short learning curve it really helps keep the combat snappy.
It's a great feature. It looks like CSIII will use the same system.

nOoblet16

How does player degradation actually work when going to a palace multiple days in a row?

Also, do most people save the
calling card
for the day before the last day of the mission? Was disappointed when time fast forwarded on me a few days.
Doing it earlier or later has no effect on the game and the time you have. If you do it ASAP your teammates will stop nagging you about it everyday and that's about it. Once the "mission" to infiltrate the palace begins the game won't fast forward days ever...even if you finish the dungeon on the first day itself.

Taruranto

August was really good. 4th palace was probably the best one design wise and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Futaba. Her character is obviously pandering (Honestly, I find the option to romance her kinda wrong, given her personality) but she had good focus and development.
It's a shame that the issue with her mom turned out to be some kind of magical murder via metaverse, I thought the neurosis angle was much more interesting and real.

qoYykDk.png

This scene was rubbish tho'. I had to check the backlog because I thought I had missed a couple of lines.

One thing I haven't seen a lot of people comment on (perhaps I haven't read enough) is the fact that the combat interface skips menus in favor of using button mappings. It's a small thing, but after a short learning curve it really helps keep the combat snappy.

I'm sure other games have used it before, though I can't think of any, but it's so simple and brilliant I can't believe it wasn't in widespread use before now.

RalchAC

Is it possible to get more Leblanc Coffee? Also what are the best SP recovery items? When grinding, I always run out of SP.

Should I get Takemi's Slink up to 6 before the second palace.

If you manage to level Takemi up to level 6 (or was it 7?) you'll be able to buy an accesory that will make your life much easier. It costs 50k and makes you
recover SP at the beginning of your turn. Doesn't work with Batton Pass though

Yea the Tae has the best personality by far because she is so different from others. Unfortunately she is a side character so doesn't get much screen time. I hope Persona 5 ditches high school and is set in uni.

Kawakami has some great writing too in her coop. I think I'm at level 9 right now.

Sojiro is really great too.

The adults in general are quite well written. I really like it. I don't mind the "filthy adults" comments you get every once in a while. I mean, the cast have been screwed by them and they're at an age where it's normal to feel like that. But even characters like Ryuji
have an absolute devotion and respect for their mother. It is a great touch IMO.

Sojiro is an all around great character. One of my favorite characters in the game, really.

August was really good. 4th palace was probably the best one design wise and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Futaba. Her character is obviously pandering (Honestly, I find the option to romance her kinda wrong, given her personality) but she had good focus and development.
It's a shame that the issue with her mom turned out to be some kind of magical murder via metaverse, I thought the neurosis angle was much more interesting and real.

The LINE conversation
where she trolls Yusuke with emotes was awesome lol
. I haven't delved too much in her coop, I'll judge it in the future, but at first glance
I don't think I'd be really comfortable with romancing her unless she somehow grows enough to be independent. Depending on how the character is handled I'd make a decision.

kaitain19

Anyone else uses the spoiler free walkthrough by KillScottKill in Gamefaqs? Because I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm currently at 6/21 and my characters seems to be a bit underleveled and short on cash.
I'm also already at Chariot confidant level 9 since I chose to compliment Ryuji during the maid event. If I want to go into Kaneshiro's Palace to grind for experience and money, would 6/28 be the perfect date? Can I hold off leveling up the Devil confidant for a later date?

2. This is a question for the December schedule:
Is it safe to ignore playing the retro games during December? Can I still maximize all skills and confidants if I do that?

nOoblet16

Anyone else uses the spoiler free walkthrough by KillScottKill in Gamefaqs? Because I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm currently at 6/21 and my characters seems to be a bit underleveled and short on cash.
I'm also already at Chariot confidant level 9 since I chose to compliment Ryuji during the maid event. If I want to go into Kaneshiro's Palace to grind for experience and money, would 6/28 be the perfect date? Can I hold off leveling up the Devil confidant for a later date?

Is it safe to ignore playing the retro games during December? Can I still maximize all skills and confidants if I do that?
Don't grind in palaces, grind in mementos. You get much more loot that you can sell and also use.

I think that for the December thing its to get achievements more than skill points. As to point 1 you asked, I can't help you as I was following the guide but I fucked it up too much and was behind on confidants and at that point I just followed it loosely for a general schedule

Morgana not having buffing skills is seriously the only thing holding him back, at least against bosses. My team composition (Morgana/Yusuke/Haru) isn't as good against bosses because I can't abuse the high crit chance to baton passing to Yusuke for dumb damage, and Yusuke is the only one who has a buffing skill. I just end up using the MC for both buffing and debuffing without attacking much with him, whereas Morgana is seriously lacking outside of healing.

Yusuke and especially Haru still hit hella hard though so it's fine, but Ryuji feels like he'd be so much better than Yusuke here. (Matarukaja > Masukukaja and he gets charge.) Haru/Makoto/Ryuji feels like the ideal comp for bosses.

I'm now imagining Haru with Charge. Lawwwd.

Weebos

Banned
Morgana not having buffing skills is seriously the only thing holding him back, at least against bosses. My team composition (Morgana/Yusuke/Haru) isn't as good against bosses because I can't abuse the high crit chance to baton passing to Yusuke for dumb damage, and Yusuke is the only one who has a buffing skill. I just end up using the MC for both buffing and debuffing without attacking much with him, whereas Morgana is seriously lacking outside of healing.

Yusuke and especially Haru still hit hella hard though so it's fine, but Ryuji feels like he'd be so much better than Yusuke here. (Matarukaja > Masukukaja and he gets charge.)

I use Ryuji, Haru, and Makoto for this reason. Makoto has Mediarahan + Defense Buff, Ryuji has attack buff and charge.

They spend some time in some kind of (idk if I got the english word right) ferris wheel where something happened but theres not a lot of room for traditional sex
Oh that? I think you're reading too much into it.
she says should we do at least 1 thing couples do, and you can joke that 'just one?' and then she asks if she should close her eyes as she goes in for the kiss. But I don't see it as implication to sex or oral

nOoblet16

Yusuke and especially Haru still hit hella hard though so it's fine, but Ryuji feels like he'd be so much better than Yusuke here. (Matarukaja > Masukukaja and he gets charge.) Haru/Makoto/Ryuji feels like the ideal comp for bosses.

I'm now imagining Haru with Charge. Lawwwd.
Ryuji gets team attack buff skill. Having Morgana do buffs, heal and damage at the same time would be too much.

I do agree with you though because Morgana is pretty much Makoto but with Wind attacks instead of Nuclear and no defense buff.

Oh that? I think you're reading too much into it.
she says should we do at least 1 thing couples do, and you can joke that 'just one?' and then she asks if she should close her eyes as she goes in for the kiss. But I don't see it as implication to sex or oral
It's definitely left open to the players interruptation but considering they already kiss at rank 9 and she seems nervous I definitely got the vibe things were escalating to another level here.

RalchAC

Wasn't some implied meaning in Persona 4 Golden when your GF spends Christmas Eve at your room? The screen goes black and she leaves a few hours later, I mean...

w0s

Doing it earlier or later has no effect on the game and the time you have. If you do it ASAP your teammates will stop nagging you about it everyday and that's about it. Once the "mission" to infiltrate the palace begins the game won't fast forward days ever...even if you finish the dungeon on the first day itself.

Okay so maybe it just was never going to give me a lot of opportunity late in april.

squall23

Wasn't some implied meaning in Persona 4 Golden when your GF spends Christmas Eve at your room? The screen goes black and she leaves a few hours later, I mean...
It wasn't even implied, at least not with Chie since she outright said she lied to her parents about sleeping over at Yukiko's place.

Ryuji gets team attack buff skill. Having Morgana do buffs, heal and damage at the same time would be too much.

I do agree with you though because Morgana is pretty much Makoto but with Wind attacks instead of Nuclear and no defense buff.
It's not really unprecedented because Teddie in P4 and Makoto like you said already does that, and Morgana doesn't really hit hard enough compared to the others. If not buffs then I'd totally take debuffs. (Ann is the only one in the team with a debuff right? Kinda weird.)

I'll try stacking the wind boosts instead of keeping Samarecarm on him. I only have Wind Amp.

EDIT: Oh crap, Morgana gets Masukunda. I totally missed that.

Ydelnae

What's the point of the expensive gifts ? They are no different from others right ?

I think that you eventually run out of gifts if you use them with every confidant, so those are some sort of "last resort" thing. Also I think there are confidants that value them more than regular gifts.

Maxed female confidant thing

wow, if you decide to start a replationship with an older lady, they kinda give a hint that you actually slept with them. Kinda ballsy especially after the incident with Kamoshida and girls your age.

Dumb ass hypocrisy.

Yeah, I just cannot be okay with it.
I really like Takemi a lot but I didn't feel totally right starting a relationship with her. Still, after completing the Confidant platonically I watched the romance variant and was shocked how creepy it felt. Same for Kawakami. That one was especially rough since she's trying to say no, given that she's an adult and your teacher, and you talk her into dating you anyway. They fetishize these relationships for the sake of making you feel like a player, and betray their convictions in doing so.

As if Kamoshida not getting consent is the only problem with his sexual relationships with students. Teacher-student sexual relationships are inherently predatory. Teens are ignorant and impressionable. They might have a crush on a teacher, but it's up to the teacher be the adult.

Anyway. It just reignites my desire to play a Persona game as a young adult MC. But knowing this game they'd probably
allow you to date a kid...

Post-11/20 spoilers

I hated the dude but I'm so bummed you only get to use Akechi for one dungeon. I'm looking at Robin Hood's skills and the dude gets debilitate on top of auto-tarukaja at the start of a battle, AND Megidolaon, heavy Bless and Curse skills and insta kills. Also a severe physical move. Dude's biggest mistake was thinking that small time Loki is better than Robin Hood the GOAT.

DNAbro

I really like Takemi a lot but I didn't feel totally right starting a relationship with her. Still, after completing the Confidant platonically I watched the romance variant and was shocked how creepy it felt. Same for Kawakami. That one was especially rough since she's trying to say no, given that she's an adult and your teacher, and you talk her into dating you anyway. They fetishize these relationships for the sake of making you feel like a player, and betray their convictions in doing so.

As if Kamoshida not getting consent is the only problem with his sexual relationships with students. Teacher-student sexual relationships are inherently predatory. Teens are ignorant and impressionable. They might have a crush on a teacher, but it's up to the teacher be the adult.

Anyway. It just reignites my desire to play a Persona game as a young adult MC. But knowing this game they'd probably

This is just my opinion but I think those relationships are there to appeal to an older audience. Some people might not want to date your team mates and want to date an adult. Of course in the context of the game it makes it weird caues of the MCs age.

silva1991

Mishima told me about the "
killer who cleans up the trash
" quest, and Morgana wouldn't let me go to the mementos because of intel stuff.

What to do? I don't know where to look.

I am usin his guide and at the same point in my game as you are. I ran out of money around that point. I also notice Ann and Sojiro links according to his guide, are a little off. Welp maybe I messed up somewhere regardless I manage to get Ann's s.link back on track. sojiro is still off.

Just found out you can fast forward fights as well after 75 + hours. -_-
Can you? Assuming you don't mean the rush option.

RalchAC

I mean, at least when
you want to date Kawakami she refuses until you drive her into a corner.
At the end, you are the one that takes a choice. I won't say that the decision to include such relationship was a good one. Coops shouldn't be about getting to level 10 to bang someone. But at least the game tries to tell that you shouldn't do it eventhough it allows you to do it because reasons.

N30RYU

Can you level up all the stats of a persona to 99???

In P4G I had Izangi with all stats maxed to 99 when reached level 66... Here my Izanagi DLC have only 19~20~21 stats at lvl34...

In context just beated the third Castle and started the Arcana that let me change the characters of my party while in combat.

So what's the point of Personas?

It seems Im swapping around personas depending on enemy weaknesses and stunning enemies all the time. It doesnt feel too exciting or thoughtful. Is this just too early?

Are they basically Pokemon, and I pick my favourites? Or do they all have different stats? There are like 8 or 10 elements, how many before the Personas become redundant of each other?

Because it feels I have 5 or 6 elemental Personas, are they just capped in terms of power, therefore requiring me to catch stronger ones?

And is combining Personas a way to jump start getting more powerful Personas, or are there unique Personas you can only get in fusing?

It seems they basically have an elemental strength and weakness, and Im just using the same attack on weak ones, stunning them, and then holding them up

nOoblet16

So what's the point of Personas?

It seems Im swapping around personas depending on enemy weaknesses and stunning enemies all the time. It doesnt feel too exciting or thoughtful. Is this just too early?

Are they basically Pokemon, and I pick my favourites? Or do they all have different stats? There are like 8 or 10 elements, how many before the Personas become redundant of each other?

Because it feels I have 5 or 6 elemental Personas, are they just capped in terms of power, therefore requiring me to catch stronger ones?

And is combining Personas a way to jump start getting more powerful Personas, or are there unique Personas you can only get in fusing?

It seems they basically have an elemental strength and weakness, and Im just using the same attack on weak ones, stunning them, and then holding them up
Yes they are basically Pokemons but they all have different stats and abilities and yes it's too early.

You can only fuse a persona up until your current level (unless you rank strength confidant to rank 10), that persona can then level beyond your current level via XP. Persona level is important for damage and resistance you can level up a persona by sacrificing it with a higher level one (this is different from fusing) but low level personas will have low level abilities for the most part and it's better to get high level ones by catching them or fusing them.

They never become redundant because even after you gain powerful abilities each person's has its strength and weakness (elemental/physical etc) and they have different stats i.e. agility, luck etc so it's always worth getting higher leveled ones even when you have the important abilities.

Man the strength confidant is a huge money sink. Plus by the time you can actually do it completely your inventory is full of high level persona which cost even more money to buy back since you'll have to get rid of some of them to make space in your persona inventory.

I don't understand why I can't just store some persona that I already have, maybe have like a limited storage that can hold 5 of them so that you don't have to delete them and buy them back everytime you need some space for fusion.

And the final ability is not that great, I thought it would let me fuse anything but I found out that I have to pay to fuse high level persona and the price is too much. Like 11,000 yen per level.

Yeah, I'm trying really hard to catch up on time and max all my Confidants but then I remember what it takes to Max Strength and I start to think it's not in the cards...

I'm at September, about to start the 5th dungeon and Morgana
has just decided to leave because she is jealeous of how much we all love Futaba
. And, while it was supposed to be a big and dramatic moment, it's kind of failed to grab me.

I mean, the cat has been since the very beginning of the game
badmouthing Ryuji for no reason. After a while the guy gets tired of it and decides to pay him with the same coin. And now, 6 months after Morgana starts being an asshole to another person,
it founds out people has feelings and can be hurt by what other people say.
No shit, sherlock.

I wish the game would have allowed me to tell Morgana
to shut the fuck up during one of those outbursts. I know people won't support me that much, because most of you hate Ryuji. But those are just my 2 cents.

Yuuuuuuuup. I sure did hate this whole section. So poorly motivated. And the lack of player agency was especially frustrating given how stupid I found the whole ordeal. Every single character is so fucking shitty to Ryuji all the time (in fact, I think that's part of the reason some people hate him -- the game trains you to) and then
Morgana, who's been calling him pathetic in every battle since he awakened,
decides to run off after they get in the most nonsensical of fights. And everybody blames Ryuji for it and not Morgana for being ridiculous.
The resolution to the whole thing is poor too. Not to mention this being the completely uninspiring introduction of
Haru
to your team.

4bNr0RzxR.png

I feel like I'm good for a while.

It's amazing how fast it goes. I thought I'd never need money again after stacking 300k. I was down to 230 yen in a couple weeks. Buying all the current best weapons and accessories plus sinking 10k a day into the Temperance and Fortune confidants saw to that.

people who should have portraits:

the foreign tout in shibuya
convenience store clerk
reporter girl
stalker-chan

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

This is just my opinion but I think those relationships are there to appeal to an older audience. Some people might not want to date your team mates and want to date an adult. Of course in the context of the game it makes it weird caues of the MCs age.

I mean, see that's the problem. I totally do like those characters. Especially
Takemi
. But cannot
date them
due to the context of my player character. As opposed to it being,
"Oh, hey, I'm an adult --
I want to date an adult."
It almost feels like,
"Oh hey, I condone adult-minor relationships!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom