• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Finished palace 7. Favourite one yet and the
Akechi boss fight was incredibly well done. I hated the guy but after that I decided he wasn't too bad. Also post-palace, wth how long is this game? I'm in the Mementos palace now.

MTC100

Banned
How can you people finish a 100 hours game in 2 weeks?

I work 40h a week and am at 74h played already, and had access to the game for 12 days now(got it a day early). You just have to reduce the time you sleep a bit and don't attend to any activities outside your work. You have 128 hours a week left after work(40h/week), so that's a total of 18 hours a day of course you have to get to your workplace and back too, so let's say 17 hours.

Let's consider we have to wash ourselfs and eat/drink/go to the toilet: 16 hours left a day to play and sleep. With 6 hours of sleep each day you are left with 10 hours to play the game a day on average, resulting in 70h each week. So completing the game within 2 Weeks is very easily achievable, just lock yourself in with the game and mute your phone, like every normal human being should, when such a game hits your console!

I guess I will be able to finish the game this Sunday if everything goes well, probably clocking in at somewhere between 100 and 110 hours.

I should get a divorce and quit my job.
Yes you should probably consider it! It's too late for you and Persona 5 now though. The process will take up too much time, so you're likely better off by not divorcing your wife over the game, at least not now, you should have thought about that a month prior release, your bad.

kaitain19

I'm at 6/26. Is there an effective money grinding method at this point? I need 100K to
initiate Fortune confidant,
and maybe make some extra money for SP adhesives.

MTC100

Banned
I'm at 6/26. Is there an effective money grinding method at this point? I need 100K to

Just milk the Shadows for money and everything will work out nicely. I made 100K yen/hour at your stage in the game in Mementos. Killing off every shadow but the last one and begging them for tons of yen was a great way of earning cash.

I work 40h a week and am at 74h played already, and had access to the game for 12 days now(got it a day early). You just have to reduce the time you sleep a bit and don't attend to any activities outside your work. You have 128 hours a week left after work(40h/week), so that's a total of 18 hours a day of course you have to get to your workplace and back too, so let's say 17 hours.

Let's consider we have to wash ourselfs and eat/drink/go to the toilet: 16 hours left a day to play and sleep. With 6 hours of sleep each day you are left with 10 hours to play the game a day on average, resulting in 70h each week. So completing the game within 2 Weeks is very easily achievable, just lock yourself in with the game and mute your phone, like every normal human being should, when such a game hits your console!

I guess I will be able to finish the game this Sunday if everything goes well, probably clocking in at somewhere between 100 and 110 hours.

Whoa there partner. I work a 40 hour week, too, and you'd be absolutely crazy to think that 10 hours/day with Persona is viable.

24 hours in a day total.
9 hours at work (I get an hour for lunch), so we're down to 15 hours for Persona.
2 hours to commute (one hour each way), so we're down to 13 hours for Persona.
1 hour to get ready in the morning, so we're down to 12 hours for Persona.
1 hour to shower and get ready for bed, so we're down to 11 hours for Persona.
6 hours to sleep, so we're down to 5 hours for Persona.

I usually play for about 4 hours/day since I like to unwind after work by staring into Anderson Cooper's beautiful blue eyes while he tells me all the truths of the world, but. Even if I cut out time with my husbando, that's still only 5 hours to play the game a day. You could maybe push it to 7 if you slept less or had a less terrible commute than I do, but. Jesus Christ. 10/day seems really really pushing it.

Most of my time with this game came over the weekend. Of the 48 hours of my weekend, about 20 of them were spent with the game. I'm sure a dedicated person could bump that up to 30+ but. Still. Damn.

LotusHD

Banned
Nier is really killing it in the OST department, hard to argue with that. P5 is also very good though and has some tracks that are incredibly catchy as well.

Yea I loved Nier's more, but I'll definitely say that P5 is far more catchier. Some of the OST can easily be used to study due to how chill it is, and stuff like the battle and calling card themes are stuff I find myself humming to quite often.

Kalnos

Banned
Love the game so far, playing on hard and nothing has felt cheap so far other than a forced encounter in the second palace. I'm not a game developer but as a software developer I feel bad for the poor bastards who had to make the menus in this game. They're awesome but I bet they took so much work.

I think it's basically better than Persona 4 in just about every way other than the life-controlling cat who won't let me go out and I feel like Persona 4 had better day-to-day variety in the music for some reason.

Finished Palace 3, on the way to the 4th.

The animated cutscene that has the MC in has casual clothes without his glasses on had me sweatin'. Dude is hella handsome.

silva1991

" hold on if I remember correctly, we have some intel on possible targetLet's check on that before we head into the mementos"

giphy.gif

This has to be a glitch at this point. I talked to that homeless man for days, but I still can't go to the mementos. If it's not a glitch then I'm totally lost here.

Edit: Apparently I need Haru for this.

cheesekao

" hold on if I remember correctly, we have some intel on possible targetLet's check on that before we head into the mementos"

giphy.gif

This has to be a glitch at this point. I talked to that homeless man for days, but I still can't go to the mementos. If it's not a glitch then I'm totally lost here.

Edit: Apparently I need Haru for this.
You need to progress through to story first. One of your members is missing.

EDIT: You figured it out.

Almost finished with the 5th palace, i excepted something much more tedious than everyone said but it was okay, actually I even prefer it over the 4th because the ennemies were more dangerous.

For now 1 > 3 > 2 > 5 > 4

But really, the first palace was nuts, I feel like it's the only palace where we felt like thieves (with the 2nd maybe), the other ones felt like dungeons with a infiltration gimmick.

silva1991

You need to progress through to story first. One of your members is missing.

EDIT: You figured it out.

Over an hour on loading saves for nothing lol.

It's frustrating and I don't want to fucck it up, because maxing the moon is essential to get like 3 ultimate personas.

Ydelnae

Y'all overreacted, the 5th Palace was fine and the only thing I found annoying was the card hunting if you didn't know the enemy's weaknesses.

I wonder if people will beg for a patch just like FFXV lol

silva1991

Y'all overreacted, the 5th Palace was fine and the only thing I found annoying was the card hunting if you didn't know the enemy's weaknesses.

I wonder if people will beg for a patch just like FFXV lol

That's the only bad part of the dungeons and they should patch it(they won't)

The idea behind figuring out
who the chief directer is cool, but did I need to get 3 fucking cards
? fuck that. Thankfully, IGN got me covered for NG+.

Yes they are basically Pokemons but they all have different stats and abilities and yes it's too early.

You can only fuse a persona up until your current level (unless you rank strength confidant to rank 10), that persona can then level beyond your current level via XP. Persona level is important for damage and resistance you can level up a persona by sacrificing it with a higher level one (this is different from fusing) but low level personas will have low level abilities for the most part and it's better to get high level ones by catching them or fusing them.

They never become redundant because even after you gain powerful abilities each person's has its strength and weakness (elemental/physical etc) and they have different stats i.e. agility, luck etc so it's always worth getting higher leveled ones even when you have the important abilities.

OK. But is the combat mostly just using Personas to stun enemies?

I am saving my gun since ammo is scarce, and melee seems to be recommended to save SP when you can.

Also, if I beat the first boss, how far into the game would I be? I feel really guilty for playing so much on a friend's account, but I just want to see this through to see how good the first chapter is

Yes you should probably consider it! It's too late for you and Persona 5 now though. The process will take up too much time, so you're likely better off by not divorcing your wife over the game, at least not now, you should have thought about that a month prior release, your bad.

No joke, this is exactly my situation. 85 hours in and I got the game last Monday.

I've been putting more time into Persona than my full time job. Getting generally very little sleep and putting off every other obligation in my life. Hahahaha.

I can't imagine having had to review this game.

The lower level Mementos bosses (around that date!) are almost all susceptible to confusion with Pulpina and will drop 20-30k every turn!

Get on that gravy train now because you'll be disappointed to find it come into station very shortly after. I would have milked another 300k the first go around if I knew that every mid-tier Mementos boss past that can't be confused.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Beneath the Mask is fucking amazing. Its when the OST went from good to great for me.

Meier

2nd Palace Boss Spoiler
He's really kicking my arse, what an annoying fight.

Suggestions:
I had trouble on my first attempt but then smashed him on the second try. Someone recommended getting Yusuke to 17 or 18 (I forget) when he gets an AOE melee attack and that helped a lot. Also make sure to take Ryuji out of your party because the wind will fuck him up and then you by proxy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nearing the end of the first dungeon and am pretty much ready to drop difficulty back to normal(playing hard). Just tired of every enemy attack either one-shotting or putting them dangerously close to death regardless of weakness or not. Meanwhile I am forced to all out attack to even dent anything. Physical is about equally as worthless as a null element. Guarding literally did fuck all to the mid boss during the tutorial where it teaches you guarding! Guard this turn! Ha nm, it still killed you, lol.

I'd normally stick with it, but due to this, SP conservation is nigh impossible and it just slows the pacing to a crawl as I dip out to return yet another night for refills(wasting chances to to other stuff). Anyone stick with hard? Something I'm missing?

Ourobolus

Banned
Suggestions:
I had trouble on my first attempt but then smashed him on the second try. Someone recommended getting Yusuke to 17 or 18 (I forget) when he gets an AOE melee attack and that helped a lot. Also make sure to take Ryuji out of your party because the wind will fuck him up and then you by proxy.

I kept Ryuji and Yusuke in. The Wind move is telegraphed so he can just guard during the next turn. Ryuji learns Rampage, too, which helps a ton. Getting a Shiisaa for the MC is also good, because it's strong against physical and also learns Rampage.

nOoblet16

OK. But is the combat mostly just using Personas to stun enemies?

I am saving my gun since ammo is scarce, and melee seems to be recommended to save SP when you can.

Also, if I beat the first boss, how far into the game would I be? I feel really guilty for playing so much on a friend's account, but I just want to see this through to see how good the first chapter is
No it's not just about hitting weakness and doing combo, if you do that then around 3rd or 4th palace you'll start to feel a difficulty spike since you'll start seeing enemies with no weakness and start calling the fights bullshit. You have to use the status ailments a lot in this game to basically gain the upper hand.

Say an enemy uses magic a lot and does heavy AoE attacks and doesn't have a weakness, you can enrage them (which means they will only use melee attacks) and then bait them to only hit Joker who might have a persona that can repel melee attacks and damage them in their own turn !!

V3rt1go

Morgana and Mona are certainly female names... but he at least thinks he's a he. I say this without having any knowledge on whether or not he is in fact not a he -- I'm just speaking out loud.

I thought Mona was a she and when I saw that the voice is done by two womans I thought Mona was a she!

Lunar15

Easily the best OST of 2017/2016

Last Surprise
Life Will Change
Beneath the Mask
Keeper of Lust
The Days When My Mother was There
Will Power

Though I'm only on September so there's probably more that I haven't heard. Haven't played Nier yet and Zelda's OST was a disappointment.

Meguro went all out

I'd definitely add

Layer Cake (Gun Shop Theme)
Price (3rd Dungeon)
Butterfly Kiss (Doctor's Theme)
Life Goes On (Exam Theme)

to that list.

The soundtrack is exceptional. It's so remarkably coherent and catchy in all aspects. It's hard to find a song I dislike. I'm not sure if there's a single song that tops something like Your Affection, but this is a much stronger soundtrack overall than the last two games, at least so far.

My only problem is that Beneath The Mask is a bit overused. They needed a different song for the morning, since Beneath The Mask is such a great song for night-time/after dungeons.

vypek

I think I'll finally have time to start the game over the weekend. Games like this make me a little nervous cause I want to do absolutely everything and I'll bog myself down trying to fully optimize dungeon and social stuff and be tempted to use a guide. I think all of that will ruin the fun or at least hinder it so I'll try to just jump in and force myself to play however.

Guess if I want to do everything I can use New Game+

Opa-Pa

I was pretty disappointed to find out Morgana was a boy too, but I wondered why I was so sure he was a girl, name aside and... Yeah almost all DLC costume packs have him dressed as one lol. He's a maid, Aigis, Trish, etc for some reason.

Nearing the end of the first dungeon and am pretty much ready to drop difficulty back to normal(playing hard). Just tired of every enemy attack either one-shotting or putting them dangerously close to death regardless of weakness or not. Meanwhile I am forced to all out attack to even dent anything. Physical is about equally as worthless as a null element. Guarding literally did fuck all to the mid boss during the tutorial where it teaches you guarding! Guard this turn! Ha nm, it still killed you, lol.

I'd normally stick with it, but due to this, SP conservation is nigh impossible and it just slows the pacing to a crawl as I dip out to return yet another night for refills(wasting chances to to other stuff). Anyone stick with hard? Something I'm missing?

Are you on hard or the DLC difficulty? The first dungeon can be rough in places on hard but not, /that/ much. If you've bought the best armor, haven't skipped fights and have a couple personas with good resistances you should be fine.

I considered switching to normal near the end of the first dungeon but bosses were annoyingly easy, so I stick with it and I've been having a blast. As the game opens up you get more tools that mitigate the challenge a bit and ends up feeling quite fair.

nOoblet16

Finished the game, post-Persona depression settling in as usual. :(
I am completely ready for this because this is effectively the first Persona game I've played for more than 5 hours (100+ hours in atm) as I never got into the series because the social stuff bored me back when I played it. I'm older now and my taste has developed so I won't mind going back to Persona 4. The only disappointment will be the randomly generated dungeons and the fact that I am an immense fan of Persona 5's stylish presentation.

For those getting money from Confusing Mementos bosses, the real trick is that the amount they drop is based on Luck. Find your Persona with the highest Luck stat and use that one to grind.

Dantis

I'd definitely add

Layer Cake (Gun Shop Theme)
Price (3rd Dungeon)
Butterfly Kiss(Doctor's Theme)
Life Goes On (Exam Theme)

to that list.

The soundtrack is exceptional. It's so remarkably coherent and catchy in all aspects. It's hard to find a song I dislike. I'm not sure if there's a single song that tops something like Your Affection, but this is a much stronger soundtrack overall than the last two games, at least so far.
You're dead to me.

The first hours were the hardest in the game for me, I advise to reach the end with at least a 2 or 3-days sessions since keeping SP so early is absolutely impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom