• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haolee

Neo Member
I thought the April delay was to ensure that the JP voice acting was available on day 1 for those that wanted it(instead of post launch DLC had it released in Feb).

No, I think they said the JP voice was added as an apology for the delay. The delay itself was due to localization issues.

haolee

Neo Member
Michelle Ruff doing her Fujiko voice as your homeroom teacher? Fuck to the yes!

Would happily listen to both her and Jamieson Price (Sojiro) narrate dictionaries.

Yeah, I really love Ruff as the teach. Then there's the Devil Confidant which is basically Amanda Winn Lee doing drunk Yukiko all the time.

tmespe

Been wanting this game for a while, but the time commitment has been holding me back as well as my worries about whether this series is for me at all. I started up P4G recently since I never finished it and had a blast for a bit after a big twist in the story, but then the summer months hit in-game and it was back to the tedium of managing social links and jobs and blah blah... I like P4G. I think it's charming and the main story is intriguing, but everything else felt so dry. I know combat/dungeons got a much-needed make-over for this one and that's been the biggest draw (not to mention how stylish the game looks), but I know they're only like 1/20th of what you actually do in the game so I'm torn. Is the day-to-day stuff also improved from P4? Or should I expect to find myself bored during the breaks in the main story when it feels like pulling teeth to find something interesting to do/see?

Basically, my question is this: Is the game an improvement overall from P4? Or should someone who struggled with the social stuff be concerned?
Only 10 hours in so far, but stuff outside dungeons is pretty similar. There are a lot more activities and locations, but if you don't like the social stuff in 4, you probably won't like it here. I do think the setting is a lot more exciting though.

Playing through the opening again now in Japanese, and man it's really good. So much better than P4. If you're playing with JP voice, don't forget to put subtitles on for the cinematics in the settings.

Strings

Yeah, I really love Ruff as the teach. Then there's the Devil Confidant which is basically Amanda Winn Lee doing drunk Yukiko all the time.

Mm. I'll add that I'm surprisingly happy with the effect they added to Igor's new voice. Sounds appropriately wrong.

Kane1345

Played through P4G in english so I'll do the same here but I will download the japanese voices and replay it in japanese after to compare.

drac96

Niice Amazon did the cool thing where they charge me before they ship it, so now I can't cancel the order. Normally I'd think that means it's shipping soon, but my last three orders have done the same thing and then come a few days late, because they ship on release day instead.

I need to stop ordering from Amazon.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
No spoilers, but I'm around the halfway point in the story, and so far there seems to be no additional voiced dialogues.

When Atlus USA delayed the game last year, they said it was to add more time so the localization is as good as it can be. At some point people were saying it was also to add voice acting to scenes where there was no voice acting in the original JP version. I think Atlus never confirmed this, though.

It doesn't bother me that much, but by the time I finished the JP version last year, I certainly felt like overall the game's main story has less voiced lines than back in P3 and P4. It doesn't help that the scenes changed from voiced to unvoiced at a whim.

Would you recommend jp or eng voices?

Hackbert

okay after ff15, which left me a bit disappointed, i will now jump onboard the persona train. i need a good jrpg. and dragon quests release is still a long way ahead. Hopefully amazon DE ships soon.

Jolkien

How does the difficulty level works in this one ? AI script change or it's just less xp and money by battle so just grind more ?

Same thing for the DLC difficulty, Merciless ?

MSMrRound

Has there been any confirmation if we are able to toggle between the English/Japanese voices at will, or are we stuck to one language once we start the game?

_Ryo_

No spoilers, but I'm around the halfway point in the story, and so far there seems to be no additional voiced dialogues.

When Atlus USA delayed the game last year, they said it was to add more time so the localization is as good as it can be. At some point people were saying it was also to add voice acting to scenes where there was no voice acting in the original JP version. I think Atlus never confirmed this, though.

It doesn't bother me that much, but by the time I finished the JP version last year, I certainly felt like overall the game's main story has less voiced lines than back in P3 and P4. It doesn't help that the scenes changed from voiced to unvoiced at a whim.

Pretty sure I remember Atlus PR saying that during the live stream they were adding spoken dialogue that wasn't in the original when they announced the delay to April 4th. Which really confused me when I learned that reviewers got the final retail version of the game in February, the month the game was originally set to release.

aravuus

I was pumped to start playing this tomorrow

And then I broke my right hand! So I'll be a month late I reckon. Good lord.

Man, what shit luck. I would genuinely try to tough it out and play with just my left hand in your situation lmao, not like you ever have to be quick with your reflexes in these games

JJShadow

Hah, I was waiting for something like this. Definitely expecting to have a lot of difficulty with it myself on easy too.

Oh well, at least we have the super easy difficulty if the game gets genuinely overwhelming later on. No such luxury back in the Persona 3 days.

I'd say that Easy mode here is what you'd expect from Normal mode in most other games. I've been playing on Normal and you really have to pay attention to elemental damage, SP management, guarding attacks,etc. Even low level mobs can be tough if you don't play smart.

I really enjoy a certain amount of challenge, so it's the perfect difficulty for me

I'm pretty excited for this game! However, my wife really dislikes JRPG's (as in the art style, soundtrack, dialogue, etc, it just isn't her cup of tea, she does not care for the anime look) so I wont be playing it too often in her presence.

How well does it perform over remote play on the Vita? Any issues to watch out for? My PS4 is connected wirelessly but Ill be playing on the same network and the router is very close so not too much concern about the signal, but doing a wired connection is possible too.

I've been playing the whole time on my Vita via Remote Play and works like a charm, texts are big enough to read and you only need R2 to sprint in dungeons, so no big deal. I also have my Vita connected via router and no problems so far

Certinty

My PS4 Pro is so quiet when playing this game.

Out of every game released since the Pro this is by far the quietest I've heard the console.

Slaythe

JP seems overall higher quality , and more natural, based on my limited playtime now. Both are pretty good though.

More natural, clearly, and JP has a clearer sound, but outside of some pronunciation, the english VA is absolutely stellar. It's not doing the game a disservice.

For first playthroughs ? English. There's a lot of lines that do not have subtitles, and therefore are NOT translated. So unless you know what is said or have decent japanese, you miss out. It's also annoying to check out the subtitles during battles or exploration IMO.

Dave1988

Goodbye, outside world :D
C8f1EEKXcAI6fFP.jpg

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Pretty sure I remember Atlus PR saying that during the live stream they were adding spoken dialogue that wasn't in the original when they announced the delay to April 4th. Which really confused me when I learned that reviewers got the final retail version of the game in February, the month the game was originally set to release.

Yeah, between that and the US voices still having the same 'types' of issues people noted in the trailers and previews, I'd say it's probably safe to say that the delay was, at least in part, just wanting to escape the crowded release window.'

More natural, clearly, and JP has a clearer sound, but outside of some pronunciation, the english VA is absolutely stellar. It's not doing the game a disservice.

YMMV, but even aside from last-name pronunciation issue, I've noticed some clunky delivery from the English VA watching some streams (of which I don't particularly remember in P4 outside of P4g add-on stuff)

Sure, some of that's probably on the translation itself, but I've heard some funky inflections and tones that don't match the scene.

Not all bad, by any means, but IDK about 'stellar' - though granted, that's based on 5-6 hours of watching streams, rather than the 100ish hours it'll take for the full game.

That doesn't seem weird to me. Games typically need to be finished a month or two before an actual retail release. It's totally possible that the localized game was ready in February, but to actually make a February release date, the game would've needed to be ready sometime between Nov-Jan, so that discs could be printed and all that.

Slaythe

Yeah, between that and the US voices still having the same 'types' of issues people noted in the trailers and previews, I'd say it's probably safe to say that the delay was, at least in part, just wanting to escape the crowded release window.'

YMMV, but even aside from last-name pronunciation issue, I've noticed some clunky delivery from the English VA watching some streams (of which I don't particularly remember in P4 outside of P4g add-on stuff)

Sure, some of that's probably on the translation itself, but I've heard some funky inflections and tones that don't match the scene.

Not all bad, by any means, but IDK about 'stellar' - though granted, that's based on 5-6 hours of watching streams, rather than the 100ish hours it'll take for the full game.

Er I disagree.

I've been playing this dozens of hours now in english, and if 4 lines out a 100 are maybe not as good, well so be it.

The rest is of really high quality, and on top of that, there's a lot of voice acted bits in the game that don't have subtitles, so missing out on that in japanese is rather annoying. I'd say JP audio is recommended for second playthroughs if you don't speak the language.

Can't wait to try the JP voices when I get home tonight. The English VO is perfectly serviceable, but the emphasis the voice actors put on the second syllable (sa-KAH-moto vs. sa-ka-mo-to) in everyone's name is so distracting. Do VO directors really not know to figure this out before making the actors say it that way for the entire game?

MSMrRound

Do VO directors really not know to figure this out before making the actors say it that way for the entire game?

Ann's voice actress said AtlusJP requested for it to be pronounced that way

(and it was for a certain scene cuz she's meant to sound frustrated at Ryuji)

Stencil

I'm tryna get this game tomorrow, the 4th, in the US. Does anyone know where it would be available for preorder & in-store pickup on release day? Gamestop says it's unavailable for in-store pickup and I hate them anyway.

Any ideas?

Salarians

I'm tryna get this game tomorrow, the 4th, in the US. Does anyone know where it would be available for preorder & in-store pickup on release day? Gamestop says it's unavailable for in-store pickup and I hate them anyway.

Any ideas?
it's in Target's weekly ad, it should be everywhere

sounds like some Gamestop stores are selling tonight at 9 PM too

Slaythe

Can you give examples? Not doubting you, but I heard otherwise. That only some very basic battle lines aren't subtitled.

Well some have been pointed out to you, but on top of that, all the persona voice acted bits are not translated, the small bits when there's no actual VA is also not translated from the characters, some battle dialogue isn't translated, and some actions specific like if you go inside a dungeon, if you sneak upon a shadow, etc... those are not translated.

So while they are all small things, at the end of the day, it's pretty significant considering it's a lot of them.

haolee

Neo Member

Both are good enough, but neither screams "great" to me. Some characters sound better in English, some sound better in Japanese. IMO Japanese voices had more unique performances in terms of the number of characters.

But I personally felt more comfortable playing with the English voices, since it feels better knowing the context of a line of dialogue if you understand the tone of how it's said, if that makes sense.

I'd recommend English first, then Japanese. This is a Persona game, after all. If you only play it once, you're missing out IMO!

Zakalwe

Banned
Slightly OT, but for those experienced with Amazon Prime in the UK, what time do Amazon tend to deliver on release day? Or is it pretty much random?

zewone

I forgot to preload this.

How large of a download is this and how many GBs to start playing?

I hope I can get most of it done in 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom