• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiva

Neo Member
I keep hearing people recommend not using a guide to get 100% completion on the first time through, but I've done that with Persona 4 and 3 and I completely prefer it that way.

Given the length of those games, I can't imagine beating them twice back to back. Otherwise, at 2-3 hours every other night, I'd be playing P5 for 3 months plus, which would make me hate it. I platinumed P4 golden by spreading out my two playthroughs 3 years apart, and it was a joy, and reminded me why I loved the game. My OCD tendencies would also not let me not see every S-link in one playthrough, so there is that.

So guide if you want completionists, I support you!

Also, amazon shipped my special edition, and it's USPS so I should actually receive it tomorrow. UPS keeps claiming weather delay on my shipping and doesn't bother to show up, even on nice evenings. Punks. Best of luck to all!
see that's what I want to do because I hate it when games force you to make choices that cause you to miss important content. I just wanna see everything on the first playthrough, I don't have the patience to play a 100+ hour game more than once in order to get the full experience and I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to do that either

Anoxida

I keep hearing people recommend not using a guide to get 100% completion on the first time through, but I've done that with Persona 4 and 3 and I completely prefer it that way.

Given the length of those games, I can't imagine beating them twice back to back.

Same, I dont know how people do it. I hate replaying games and rewatching movies in general though. Replaying a 100 hour long game.. I wouldn't be able to do that within a 4 year period at the very least.

I dont care about 100% though, I just want all the S.links (or this game's version of it) done in a playthrough. Is there a somewhat spoiler free guide for that?

see that's what I want to do because I hate it when games force you to make choices that cause you to miss important content. I just wanna see everything on the first playthrough, I don't have the patience to play a 100+ hour game more than once in order to get the full experience and I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to do that either

Everyone has their own playstyle and are free to do it as such. I rarely consider replaying big games hence I've never relayed witcher 3 which a consider a classic but persona 5 new game plus option is always worth playing because I can make different choices and usually blaze through the game due to knowledge of how to beat dungeons.

Love the avatar! Check the guide at gamefaqs, though I hear its tough to beat the first dungeon in 1 trip, as it seems to recommend. I might drop the difficulty to easy for that one dungeon.

As an aside, I completely understand people who don't want to use a guide. Just not for me. Or my children, who would wonder what happened to me.

Same, I dont know how people do it. I hate replaying games and rewatching movies in general though. Replaying a 100 hour long game.. I wouldn't be able to do that within a 4 year period at the very least.

I dont care about 100% though, I just want all the S.links (or this game's version of it) done in a playthrough. Is there a somewhat spoiler free guide for that?

ckohler

Is fusing easier/streamlined from P4? I remember they made some changes to it in Golden I think, did they carry those over or change anything else?

From the preview videos I've seen, they've kept the fusion improvements from Golden such as being able to select which skills to keep rather than it being random and the interface just being easier to use.

pixxxelz

Everyone has their own playstyle and are free to do it as such. I rarely consider replaying big games hence I've never relayed witcher 3 which a consider a classic but persona 5 new game plus option is always worth playing because I can make different choices and usually blaze through the game due to knowledge of how to beat dungeons.
Yup pretty much, I used a guide for p4g and regretted it afterwards, it just isn't the same, sometimes you want to do one thing but the guide tells you to do something else, never again.

Also my TYH still hasn't shipped, I'm not getting it tomorrow am i..

Kolx

Is this game much harder than P4G? because
reaching the treasure
in the first dungeon in one day was a fucking NIGHTMARE and I'm playing on Easy. I had to spend the last 1\3 of the dungeon with 0 sp for everyone other than the protagonist. I tried to knock out every enemy and ask for items but they barely give you an sp item and if they do it's 10sp for one member. Eventually when I ran out of sp items I couldn't heal since I've consumed all my healing items (just managed to buy 4 before dungeon) and I died in one area (
where you have to get the 2 eyes as a key
) more than I can count.

Found this.

pablito

reaching the treasure
in the first dungeon in one day was a fucking NIGHTMARE and I'm playing on Easy. I had to spend the last 1\3 of the dungeon with 0 sp for everyone other than the protagonist. I tried to knock out every enemy and ask for items but they barely give you an sp item and if they do it's 10sp for one member. Eventually when I ran out of sp items I couldn't heal since I've consumed all my healing items (just managed to buy 4 before dungeon) and I died in one area (
) more than I can count.

Found this.

I found the first dungeon in P5 to be quite harder than it's predecessors.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I will start this video game now.
So long, life!

QuadOpto

To me it honestly seems odd that people think a 2nd playthrough would be unbearable; with NG+ options a 2nd playthrough's pretty much a breeze and definitely not another 100 hours.:p

For those that don't know, after you clear the game once, you keep your compendium, money, and social skill parameters, meaning you can blitz through dungeons, max all social links & focus on completing certain trophies in your free time with little-to-no worry about time-management.

With that in mind, you can just focus on having fun and figuring out things as you go along in your first playthrough without the worry of missing out on anything, or constantly checking a guide to make sure you're doing a certain thing every single time slot, which many usual Persona players agree kind of destroys the fun of the social Sim part of the game.

Of course, people are free to do whatever they want with their game and time, just giving an honest opinion of why going in blind your first time through is a more entertaining experience.

Barzul

So my Bestbuy order says ready to pick up, do you guys think I can get it today....I don't know how lax bestbuy is with their rules.

Mendrox

So no store in Hamburg got the game today it would seem (not one of the Mom n Pop stores, Saturn told me that they don't know if they get any games). So I ordered mine from Amazon and it's already on the way. :|

Amani

Sitting at home on my day off, praying that my TYH edition comes early.

Re3OG.gif

I've been playing the whole time on my Vita via Remote Play and works like a charm, texts are big enough to read and you only need R2 to sprint in dungeons, so no big deal. I also have my Vita connected via router and no problems so far

That's great, remote play gives me more time to play and more flexibility.

We apparently have a blizzard coming over night so I'm hoping to go around and find a copy of the game tonight. I don't think my chances are good but let's hope. :(

To me it honestly seems odd that people think a 2nd playthrough would be unbearable; with NG+ options a 2nd playthrough's pretty much a breeze and definitely not another 100 hours.:p

For those that don't know, after you clear the game once, you keep your compendium, money, and social skill parameters, meaning you can blitz through dungeons, max all social links & focus on completing certain trophies in your free time with little-to-no worry about time-management.

With that in mind, you can just focus on having fun and figuring out things as you go along in your first playthrough without the worry of missing out on anything, or constantly checking a guide to make sure you're doing a certain thing every single time slot, which many usual Persona players agree kind of destroys the fun of the social Sim part of the game.

Of course, people are free to do whatever they want with their game and time, just giving an honest opinion of why going in blind your first time through is a more entertaining experience.
Eh don't think 50ish hours is a breeze or even 20 hours. That's still a very long time.

QuadOpto

Eh don't think 50ish hours is a breeze or even 20 hours. That's still a very long time.

But then a majority of those 20-50 hrs will consist of content/dialogue you haven't seen before, since you can just skip/fast forward through stuff you've already seen! :D

But people are free to what they're want to do. I know after waiting for this game for so long I'll definitely be ready and willing to dive in again.

...Though, this is speaking as someone who's went through Persona 3 & Persona 4 a total of 3 times each.

do you guys think i should watch the beginning intro video before the title screen

Duh. I just adore Shoji Meguro so much that I basically cannot start up a title he's worked on without listening to the intro song at least once. I don't think I've ever booted up a game he worked and skipped the intro. Like, ever. Even after multiple start ups and playthroughs.

robotrock

Banned
Duh. I just adore Shoji Meguro so much that I basically cannot start up a title he's worked on without listening to the intro song at least once. I don't think I've ever booted up a game he worked and skipped the intro. Like, ever. Even after multiple start ups and playthroughs.

yeah just don't wanna get ~ spoiled ~

QuadOpto

do you guys think i should watch the beginning intro video before the title screen

Depends on whether or not you mind seeing brief 1-3 second glimpses of party characters, as that's basically all that's really spoiler-worthy in it. (Course, the title screen itself already shows their silhouettes, so...)

Okay that politician is totally gonna be the main bad guy in this, right?

No spoilers, as I haven't played the game, but that description makes it so totally obvious on which side of the good guy or bad guy spectrum he's going to be on. I'd love to be wrong though.

brawly

So, does changing the VO not work with existing savefiles?

edit: nevermind, you have to choose it when loading a savefile via triangle. Weird.

Okay that politician is totally gonna be the main bad guy in this, right?

No spoilers, as I haven't played the game, but that description makes it so totally obvious on which side of the good guy or bad guy spectrum he's going to be on. I'd love to be wrong though.
No, confidants have nothing to do with the main story.

dcassell

Banned
So my Bestbuy order says ready to pick up, do you guys think I can get it today....I don't know how lax bestbuy is with their rules.

I don't know either, but all my things say "Available 4/3" in every instance. I'm gonna give them a call soon and see if I could go pick it up. I also do not know how lax their rules are, but their database seems to indicate that it is out today, at least for me.

Feep

Banned
reaching the treasure
in the first dungeon in one day was a fucking NIGHTMARE and I'm playing on Easy. I had to spend the last 13 of the dungeon with 0 sp for everyone other than the protagonist. I tried to knock out every enemy and ask for items but they barely give you an sp item and if they do it's 10sp for one member. Eventually when I ran out of sp items I couldn't heal since I've consumed all my healing items (just managed to buy 4 before dungeon) and I died in one area (
) more than I can count.

Found this.
The game explicitly tells you that it's way better to complete a dungeon over multiple days. And it's quite easy if you do it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom