• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game seems so complicated if I need to choose the right Personas, fuse the right ones, have the right team combination, being careful with ones money, having to complete the palaces as fast as possible, upgrading the right skills etc. I haven't opened my copy cause it all seems so stressful just reading about it.

Dude, don't-- hahahaha-- don't let it get to you, man. It's all rather straight forward and it introduces the systems very slowly. (It's a hundred hour game, after all.)

Seriously, you are doing yourself such a disservice reading about those systems and formulating an opinion without having played a Persona game. Once you start playing you will see how simple it really is.

Pachimari

Veteran of the megaten franchise here
Just make a collection of personas with complementary resistances and throw spells in at random

Has always worked for me and I played about 8 megaten games by now

Once you get in the routine it becomes natural being able to plan out things better.
Regardin personas fusion, we'll it's an RPG (a good one), so it's normal that there is a degree of complexity behind it.

It's less stressful than it sounds in regards to Persona composition and party members. General rule of thumb is keep the protagonist flexible (Personas are expendable and you can always get new ones/summon old ones) and make sure you pick a strong healer for your party. Beyond that you can choose whatever.

Time management can be hard if you're going for a 100% run of everything, but I wouldn't bother with that for the first playthrough. Just pick and choose what you find interesting to spend your spare days on. I think these games are very relaxing at the end of the day.
Yeah I don't want to go for a 100% run. But I'm afraid of missing out on stuff, or wasting money so I can't get weapons that would make it easier and such.

Dude, don't-- hahahaha-- don't let it get to you, man. It's all rather straight forward and it introduces the systems very slowly. (It's a hundred hour game, after all.)

Seriously, you are doing yourself such a disservice reading about those systems and formulating an opinion without having played a Persona game. Once you start playing you will see how simple it really is.
I've played 10 hours of Persona 4 Golden which I own but I never got to any Persona fusion and such. It's also a really long time since I've played it. I'll probably open up Persona 5 by tomorrow.

aravuus

I think I love preparing for battles more than the actual battles in this game lol. Collecting personas and fusing them around to get the perfect collection is addictive, I'd do it all the time had I not run out of money.

Good thing this city is populated entirely by ghosts or it'd be a real hassle getting around bumping into everyone.

I'm guessing that's a big twist towards the end

You thought you were in a world of ghosts, but actually.. They're humans

TI82

Banned
Supposedly my game is going to be delivered today, despite not leaving the main ups hub for my state yet... :/

Kyoufu

Um. Can someone help me out here. I'm dazed and confused.

story spoilers for the first hour of the game:

The main character helps a woman being harassed on the street, gets sued by the creep then gets expelled from school and now has a criminal record.... what??

JJShadow

Where is the best place to get healing items or to buy them?

Have you already met
Tae Takemi, the female doctor?
If so, pay her a visit to her clinic and there you can buy most healing items

Also, some shops sell really good healing fooda on specific days of the week, pay them all a visit to know when to go

Weiss

Banned
I have a feeling this story will be as good as P2's, and I think that's my favourite RPG plotline.

Ryuji and Morgana are already more likeable than the entire cast of P4 put together. The constant chatter from the student body and the sheer apathy and scorn the adults toss at you is a great change of pace from Swagmaster Yu.

A 100% run makes the game alot more stressful but it also makes the game alot more interesting. It makes you alot more salient of things like days of the week, schedules and planning ahead. It also lets you see most everything. Overall I think it's something I would recommend first time players try, especially since most people won't be able to replay a 100 hour long RPG. And even if you fail its not like there's a significant difference in the overall story.

On the flip side by going for 100% you get alot less dungeon time and will probably end up with a pathologic hatred for Morgana.

The main character helps a woman being harassed on the street, gets sued by the creep then gets expelled from school and now has a criminal record.... what??

It was implying he was
in a pretty prominent government position. He even says he owns the police. It would be a very easy thing for him to intimidate the women into keeping quiet and point his wound to the cops and just go from there.

I'm not at all surprised about the kind of shit that can happen like that. I mean, read American newspapers.

Weiss

Banned
It was implying he was
in a pretty prominent government position. He even says he owns the police. It would be a very easy thing for him to intimidate the women into keeping quiet and point his wound to the cops and just go from there.

I'm not at all surprised about the kind of shit that can happen like that. I mean, read American newspapers.

Yeah that confusion and anger I felt as the protagonist was getting shit on for
saving a woman from being raped
was such a wonderful feeling. I love this game already.

Nbz

Anyone know of solid ways to improve Guts? I've gone through the rental DVDs, 2 books and have done the burger challenge once. Is there a good way to get a lot of guts outside of those ways?

So how the hell do you get to (first hour spoiler))
Sojiro Sakura
residence? I'm pretty sure I've found the place and it's not letting me go in. I've talked to every person and checked every store and nothing is happening :/

EDIT: nvm guess that wasn't the right place..

muteki

I don't really understand the confusion, at least from playing the Japanese version.

The guy doing the harassing has a lot of (political/economic) power and threw MC under the bus and that got him expelled. After he moves town nobody he interacts with knows the full story and he is just labeled a "delinquent" and treat him as such.

So how the hell do you get to (first hour spoiler))
Sojiro Sakura
residence? I'm pretty sure I've found the place and it's not letting me go in. I've talked to every person and checked every store and nothing is happening :/

Did you talk to the delivery guy outside of his house? I want to say he gives you a hint.

Have you already met
Tae Takemi, the female doctor?
If so, pay her a visit to her clinic and there you can buy most healing items

Also, some shops sell really good healing fooda on specific days of the week, pay them all a visit to know when to go

Oh alright, will do and yeah already met her. Got the bond with her too already.

Does all persona fans here are conscious of the constant use of Jung's psychoanalytical theories in the serie ? You should look it up, all the concepts (Personas, shadows, the inner world...) are brought from him. Really impressive.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I ordered the TYH edition back in June and never thought to update my delivery address after I moved in July. Just got an email letting me know that they couldn't deliver it.

This is what heartbreak feels like.

Kyoufu

It was implying he was

I don't really understand the confusion, at least from playing the Japanese version.

The guy doing the harassing has a lot of (political/economic) power and threw him under the bus and that got him expelled. After he moves town nobody he interacts with knows the full story and he is just labeled a "delinquent" and treat him as such.

Did you talk to the delivery guy outside of his house? I want to say he gives you a hint.

I guess I missed the part about the creep
being in a position of power
. Makes more sense now, but I can't help but feel shitty about all of it. Mission accomplished, I guess?

edit: I see they elaborate on it once you change and go to bed.

I ordered the TYH edition back in June and never thought to update my delivery address after I moved in July. Just got an email letting me know that they couldn't deliver it.

This is what heartbreak feels like.

That sucks man. FYI for the future, you can submit a change of address to USPS to get your mail automatically forwarded.

I have a feeling this story will be as good as P2's, and I think that's my favourite RPG plotline.

Ryuji and Morgana are already more likeable than the entire cast of P4 put together. The constant chatter from the student body and the sheer apathy and scorn the adults toss at you is a great change of pace from Swagmaster Yu.

I disagree. I find the cast of P4 to be more laid-back and quirky, which I appreciate. But P5's story is starting off with good promise. I'm looking forward to seeing where it will take us.

asariN7

I just encountered the first dungeon boss and its already better than my expectations.
Also,the japanese vo is sublime.

Shouta

I'm interested in some actual impressions as well. It sounds like BS (Hard, but with Crit & Weaknesses complete blowouts both ways). Wouldn't that interfere with the Hold Up mechanic?

As far as I know, Merciless is just Hard but half XP and Money gain. So unless they changed it, it's best for a fresh run instead of NG+ where you inherit money and etc.

opw40lQ.jpg

Not bad Amazon. You got it to me pretty damn quick

ymgve

Does something like the Fox from P4G get introduced later in the game, where you can get a grind loop of kill enemies -> get cash -> pay to heal SP -> grind more?

Also, (castle spoiler)
I didn't bother with creating lockpicks and getting all the chests, did I miss out on some great loot or is it just slightly better than whatever I can buy in the gun store?

Also: That persona fusing animation. O_O

The guy doing the harassing has a lot of (political/economic) power and threw MC under the bus and that got him expelled. After he moves town nobody he interacts with knows the full story and he is just labeled a "delinquent" and treat him as such.

(first hours spoiler)
It does seem strange that you're not going "actually this is what happened, if you don't believe me look up the news online about this guy and the trial" and trying to clear your name, at least with the people you spend most of the time with

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
That sucks man. FYI for the future, you can submit a change of address to USPS to get your mail automatically forwarded.

Yeah, I didn't get much stuff delivered to my old apartment so I never bothered doing it. Sucks now.

Bought the digital version moments ago. I am weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom