• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not call the name canonical, it's just what they used in the Manga adaptation, and history has shown us that Atlus plays fast and loose with protag names in spinoff media. The P3 protag has 3 names. P4's protag got two. It's the only actual name we have for now, I guess? I would just pick something else. :V

Excuse me, but we do have canon names for the MCs.

Persona 3: MC
Persona 4: Protagonist
Persona 5: Harry Potter

probably just thought "I am the real me, therefore the other me is fake."

Coulda been like a similar looking girl...

KDC720

My steelbook edition just arrived! This is my first Persona (or SMT game for that matter) and I'm excited jump in after hearing the near unanimous praise this series has gotten over the years.

asariN7

Cant stop looking at the menu, its so stylish.
Not so far,but I really like Ryuji so far,better than Junpei and Yossuke.

Machina

Banned
Just piled 4 hours in and haven't even completed the first dungeon yet. This game is definitely going to own some people's lives.

Kalentan

Hearing the guy who voices Sojiro say
Morgana
felt like a mini .hack reunion.

For those who don't know the guy who voices Sojiro, Jamieson Price in the dub, voiced Ovan in the .hack//G.U. games.

Ah, now I'm just making myself sad. Back to playing more.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hearing this really bums me out since I absolutely love her design and concept (from what I've seen, it's one of my favorite in the series). I was really hoping she had a VA to knock it out of the park.

I've heard a few people say this, but I don't know what they're talking about. I think her VA is great, so your mileage may vary.

There is another main character that's real bad, though:
Haru

What Social Links should I be pursuing? I know there's some bonuses to them this time outside of EXP boosts.

Here's what the Japanese wiki recommends, on a tiered basis, based on their benefits at max rank

Best benefits
Temperance
Death
Fortune (Particularly on the first playthrough)

Good Benefits
Party Members
Star
Heirophant
Sun
Strength

Meh
Tower

Was it in comparison to Hard or normal?

Compared to Hard.

Erekiddo

The victory music is god damn top quality stuff.

There needs to be a longer version on YouTube. A minute isn't cutting it for me.

HMD

Here's what the Japanese wiki recommends, on a tiered basis, based on their benefits at max rank

Best benefits
Temperance
Death

Good Benefits
Party Members
Star
Heirophant
Sun
Strength

Meh
Tower

Commenting on this to check it with my Confidants list.

Weiss

Banned

Best benefits
Temperance
Death

Good Benefits
Party Members
Star
Heirophant
Sun
Strength

Meh
Tower

I should probably use a guide for this.

pixxxelz

I can't believe amazon actually delivered my tyh today! They didn't ship it until like
4 o'clock yesterday.

Now I just gotta survive a couple of more hours at work..

haolee

Neo Member
I've heard a few people say this, but I don't know what they're talking about. I think her VA is great, so your mileage may vary.

There is another main character that's real bad, though:
Haru

I don't know how you can hear both VAs and not think the English one is at best generic. The instances where he/she shines are only when his/her line reading is performed as closely as possible to the Japanese version, which rarely happens. For example, his/her humming on one of the idle lines(when there's usually no voice recording for the actual dialogue but instead the characters only say "Yeah" or "Mm-hm"). Lifted straight from the original version.

Teknoman

Does all persona fans here are conscious of the constant use of Jung's psychoanalytical theories in the serie ? You should look it up, all the concepts (Personas, shadows, the inner world...) are brought from him. Really impressive.

I end up doing this for every SMT franchise game. Whether its a new deity/demon/whatever i've never heard of, or just certain words that may pop up and seem interesting. Then i end up diving deeper into wikipedia lol.

Yassss it said by 8pm for my TYH edition and that shit just got here and it's not even noon. So happy because I have to study for a midterm and there was no way I would be able to play later tonight. I can get some in now tho ;)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how you can hear both VAs and not think the English one is at best generic. The instances where he/she shines are only when his/her line reading is performed as closely as possible to the Japanese version, which rarely happens. For example, his/her humming on one of the idle lines(when there's usually no voice recording for the actual dialogue but instead the characters only say "Yeah" or "Mm-hm"). Lifted straight from the original version.

I haven't listened to the Japanese one, so I can't do a direct comparison, but standing on her own merits, I have no complaints about her VA.

I think the character is great, and instantly lovable, and the VA didn't detract from that at all.

Up until you meet
Futaba
. Just... What the hell were they thinking? Ugh.

Lost 30 min progress because of no autosave. I have a habit of quitting the game directly meh.

I realized I didn't have Boost Mode enabled and was so thrown by the fact that I had to play another 25 minutes before I could enable it since I needed to reach a save point to be all right closing the application. Hahahaha. But I just came from Nier so I'm a little more accustomed to it. (Save points were so generous in that game though.)

schaft0620

Best benefits
Temperance
Death

Good Benefits
Party Members
Star
Heirophant
Sun
Strength

Meh
Tower

Compared to Hard.

OK I am a dummy, I have not played the game yet (will when I go home tonight) and only played about 10 hours of P4G. Can you explain what these are to me?

TrueHero

Ahhh damnit, was asleep and just checked my amazon, my package was supposed to be here at 11 but they couldn't get in to my community so now its delayed :/

OK I am a dummy, I have not played the game yet (will when I go home tonight) and only played about 10 hours of P4G. Can you explain what these are to me?
Random NPCs will have various arcana associated with them. Spending time with them will increase your friendship. So basically spend time with the NPCs associated with these arcana.

haolee

Neo Member
I haven't listened to the Japanese one, so I can't do a direct comparison, but standing on her own merits, I have no complaints about her VA.

I think the character is great, and instantly lovable, and the VA didn't detract from that at all.

Fair enough. I'd probably think she's fine if I hadn't played the JP version, too. But as it is, it's hard to deny that she's robbed of some of her unique characteristics. The JP VA played her with nuance and subtle changes in pitches, the English one came across just like a generic American teenage girl.

It's 1:48AM where I live, and I just finished piling 4 and a half straight hours into this glorious, glorious game. Seriously considering calling in sick tommorow to continue playing.

Honestly though, it was touch and go there for a bit... the camera is a bit crap, and the start of the game is really slow paced, with an excessive amount of handholding (as a long time player, those first few runs were agonizing). But when the game gets rolling... oh man, does it get rolling, and it feels like playing Persona 4 again for the first time. Fucking amazing, thank you Atlus.

UPS is now 2 for 2 on release day delivery issues/delays with my recent orders.
Now it's Persona 5, first it was Horizon. It's going to be in-store pickup or nothing from now on with Best Buy GCU.

They're contacting the driver since my package was "delivered" but is nowhere to be found. I'm at work anyway but chasing down packages is one of my least favorite things.

Small question about the confident/social-link!

Do i get more point with the corresponding arcana when i go spend time with someone for RANK 1 ? Or it works only for RANK 2 and so on? thanks

TankRizzo

Banned
I realized I didn't have Boost Mode enabled and was so thrown by the fact that I had to play another 25 minutes before I could enable it since I needed to reach a save point to be all right closing the application. Hahahaha. But I just came from Nier so I'm a little more accustomed to it. (Save points were so generous in that game though.)

what does boost mode do for the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom