• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

molnizzle

Anyone in the same boat, never played any of the Persona series but overwhelming hype and ridiculous high reviews made me look..in nother words would I/you enjoyed this type of RPG as a NEW comer?

Yeah.

P4G was my first one and I loved it. They're all independent of each other, kinda like Final Fantasy.

Zackat

Anyone in the same boat, never played any of the Persona series but overwhelming hype and ridiculous high reviews made me look..in nother words would I/you enjoyed this type of RPG as a NEW comer?

just play it man, they arent the normal type of games I play at all but these games are well crafted. I liked P4 a lot and that was the first game that I had played in the series. By all accounts this one is really good too so.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the calendar in the upper left corner. Not only is it distractingly large, it's an image retention Nightmare. That thing is up 95% of the game so far, even during cutscenes!

I'm not even going to ask if there's a way to remove it. I think I already know the answer...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like that the protagonist is only semi-silent in this one. Especially after watching Yu talk a lot in P4 Arena.

And the UI. I know it's been praised a lot already, but man, it's beautiful. The transition to every screen is unique and super sleek.

I absolutely cannot believe that not everything is subtitled in cutscenes. I'm watching one of the first cutscenes and they focus on a newscaster for 20 seconds of pure untranslated unsubtitled Japanese audio. Then they do it a second time.

What on earth? Why would this choice ever be made?

Because that stuff wasn't subtitled in the Japanese version (accessibility in gaming is not such a big topic over here), and presumably the game did not allow for subtitles to be added in new places.

Good thing they went and recorded everything in full English audio for you!

I like that the protagonist is only semi-silent in this one. Especially after watching Yu talk a lot in P4 Arena.

And the UI. I know it's been praised a lot already, but man, it's beautiful. The transition to every screen is unique and super sleek.

I looooooooooooooove that the protagonist is actually mostly his own character with his own thoughts or talks occasionally. It makes it so much more interesting to play him.

Soriku

"Being super late on his first day? He really is insane..."

Fucking lol. The definition of insanity...being late on your first day of school!

I'm pretty new to the series, how much should I be concerned with the calendar? Does it really limit my play through? I feel like this is going to give me time management anxiety.

Goddamnnnnnnn the 2nd major boss in the main story is a major pain in the arseeeeeeeeeee.

Man, don't forget to upgrade the melee weapons for your party, people, otherwise you'll be having a rough time, damn.

Anyways, has it been known which Confidants that will automatically get a rank up for each meeting? Meaning that you don't need to bring a corresponding Persona to your meetings with them; Fool is a given but what else?

Fool
Magician
Judgement
Justice
iirc

Saving in a Safe Room doesn't respawn enemies right?

It does

No one able to help me out here? :(
I consulted the activity log (thank the stars this feature returned - helped me out a lot in P4) and 70% went straight into the dungeon. 10% did a job/studied and 20% did an S link. Again, just wanna know if there are basically "no S link" days coming up like the rainy days in P4 where I can safely hop into dungeons without missing much else.

If you really need to know there are three SL that allow you to save time and money:
Temperance, Fortune and Death
there are some Confidants you have to max out by certain date or you won't be able to do so (click the next spoiler)
Temperance, Chariot, Moon and Sun iirc; you need to complete them by (next spoiler)
mid November

Zafir

I'm pretty new to the series, how much should I be concerned with the calendar? Does it really limit my play through? I feel like this is going to give me time management anxiety.

I don't personally think it matters that much, it only really matters if you want to min-max and do all social links on your first play through. Like, you might end up not finishing some social links but it's either that or meticulously checking guides every in-game day. Just do dungeons with plenty of time to spare and you'll be golden.

Personally, I think sitting by a guide and constantly checking it just kills the fun. YMMV though.
Not true. It only respawns enemies if you cross a "boundry" into a new "zone". Otherwise you can go into a safe room fine without them respawning.

That's on Normal anyway...

Unison

Question about how the time limits work in the game....

Is it best to try to clear the first dungeon w/ a time limit ASAP or to build up stats for a while first? If I clear it ASAP, will I "lose" that game time, or will I have even longer to accomplish my next objective?

Zafir

Is it best to try to clear the first dungeon w/ a time limit ASAP or to build up stats for a while first? If I clear it ASAP, will I "lose" that game time, or will I have even longer to accomplish my next objective?
You don't lose any time. You don't get longer for your next objective though.

Play however you wish.

The Persona games are all pretty much stand alone so you're good on that front. There are a few references and maybe a cameo or two that you may not get but nothing big.

Its the most polished Persona title yet so go for it.

Yeah.

P4G was my first one and I loved it. They're all independent of each other, kinda like Final Fantasy.

just play it man, they arent the normal type of games I play at all but these games are well crafted. I liked P4 a lot and that was the first game that I had played in the series. By all accounts this one is really good too so.

Thx for the quick replys guyz..bought! Left it in the Q for DL. Very first Persona run for me. Reading All the little details this gm has is mindblowing.

Ok dumb question but I can't find an answer with google and am afraid of stumbling across spoilers:

During dialog and cutscenes you have the option to skip/ffwd and "log."

What does "log" do? I'm afraid to push the button because I don't want to skip something by accident.

Done for the night, 7 hours in, in game date is 4/20 and I just saved at
the third safe room in the palace.
. I gave my character my real first name and the surname Nakamura (after the wrestler Shinsuke Nakamura). I felt like my Irish last name sounded weird with -kun and -san added on haha. This is my first game I've played wearing head phones and I'm really glad I did so. The music is fantastic and there are so many things going on in the background that I'm glad I get to hear clearly.

Early thoughts:

- They did a fantastic job at making the coach super hatable.
- I love how dark the game is and that it isn't shying away, that suicide scene was wild.
- Really like being able to check what other players did that day
- Loving all of the characters so far, I like how the MC has personality and first person narration.
- There are almost too many areas? I get lost easily even with fast travel.
- This dungeon is longer than I thought.
- I like the flash back style that the story has been presented in, and how confidants tie into that too.

If you finish the dungeon early you continue on your daily life until the due date. The story will advance afterwards.

Son of a bitch. The way they handle cutscenes isn't cool. Pressed options to unpause an anime cutscene not thinking and it skipped it.

Zafir

Ok dumb question but I can't find an answer with google and am afraid of stumbling across spoilers:

During dialog and cutscenes you have the option to skip/ffwd and "log."

What does "log" do? I'm afraid to push the button because I don't want to skip something by accident.

Just gives you a log of the past dialogue in the conversation. Good for if you accidentally clicked through some dialogue or something.

Oh, lawd, I was just skimming the trophies, and realized there was another fishing trophy. Of course. The P4G equivalent trophy aged me. Is fishing a bit, er, less soul destroying in P5? That freakin'
Guardian

Socivol

I see the Persona pacing is still the same. I've been playing for over 3 hours and I've barely been able to do anything. I'm slightly disappointed because the game started so strongly but it's still a slog in the beginning.

Jiraiza

Yep. Would've been a real waste if they kept Jun quiet most of the time, anyway.

jxN3

How's the English dub? Picking it up tonight, my first Persona game, but bad voice acting distracts the shit out of me.

Should I play in Japanese?

This is a small thing, but it bugged me in both Persona 3 and 4 that characters "skate" while walking, and it kills me that in 2017 they still can't have footsteps at least vaguely anchored on the ground lol.

partime

That's a very weird remark. Do you mean going from unsteady 60 to rock solid 30 ?

Because this game pretty much runs at a solid 30 FPS without any dips, at least in my experience so far.

Yes 60 to 30, although rock solid, the opening scene where you jump was rather unsettling.

Quick early game spoiler question about Ann
is it normal for teachers to date students in japan? Cause they sure seem to act like it's totally normal.

I'm only 3 hours in and this is easily the best JRPG I've played since FFVI. I can easily see this being in my top 3 of all time, maybe even a first place contender depending on how the next 100~ hours go. I cannot get over how good this game is.

Damn the critical acclaim makes me really want to try this but I don't like anime art styles, non-spoken English dialogue, and generally am not a huge fan of non-Westernized Japanese stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom