• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachos

How's the English dub? Picking it up tonight, my first Persona game, but bad voice acting distracts the shit out of me.

Should I play in Japanese?
I think it'd be best to sample a bit of both. I think the dub's good overall, with some strong outliers in both directions. English Ryuji's fantastic and easily has the best performance in the game, while I really didn't care for some of the characters like the Protagonist or the twins. Most everyone is either good, great with some caveats, or just middling. There's not much that's truly bad.

Zafir

I think this entry is better than 3 or 4 for newcomers, story is more engaging right from the beginning.

I think the dungeon design is more engaging too.

Persona 3/4's dungeons were basically hallway simulators with how little effort was put into the designs. I know a few people who just got totally turned off by that.

wamberz1

I'm considering skipping the in media res moments with the interrogations. They seem to serve no purpose other than to spoil future plot events... but I'm worried I'll miss something important.

jxN3

I think it'd be best to sample a bit of both. I think the dub's good overall, with some strong outliers in both directions. English Ryuji's fantastic and easily has the best performance in the game, while I really didn't care for some of the characters like the Protagonist or the twins. Most everyone is either good, great with some caveats, or just middling. There's not much that's truly bad.
Gotcha, thanks!

I'm only 3 hours in and this is easily the best JRPG I've played since FFVI. I can easily see this being in my top 3 of all time, maybe even a first place contender depending on how the next 100~ hours go. I cannot get over how good this game is.

Is this your first entry?

If everyone knows that it was a bullshit situation leading to the dude winding up here, why on earth is everyone treating the protag like an asshole criminal? These first couple hours have been weird as hell. Hope there's a narrative reason for it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Question about how the time limits work in the game....

Is it best to try to clear the first dungeon w/ a time limit ASAP or to build up stats for a while first? If I clear it ASAP, will I "lose" that game time, or will I have even longer to accomplish my next objective?

Just do the dungeons as quickly as possible as some confidant social links will not work as long as you have a dungeon active. Moreover dungeons can now have a gimmick that will force you to go out (thus wasting a day) before proceeding, and unlike p3/p4 where you can blitz through dungeons in 1 day, in this game you are forced to spend at least 3 days in order to fully complete a dungeon.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ui looks weird like it's too big for my tv, any way to fix this?

my tv is 1080p so there shouldnt be any problems.

tiva

Neo Member
im following a guide that's telling me to finish the first dungeon in ONE DAY? playing through it now but I don't see how this can even remotely be possible

If everyone knows that it was a bullshit situation leading to the dude winding up here, why on earth is everyone treating the protag like an asshole criminal? These first couple hours have been weird as hell. Hope there's a narrative reason for it.

I'm not much further but I've already got one narrative reason.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Morgana is already giving me a better first impression than Teddie did.

I have only completed the 2nd main dungeon, but so far Morgana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Teddie.

It's explained down the line, yes.

Socivol

im following a guide that's telling me to finish the first dungeon in ONE DAY? playing through it now but I don't see how this can even remotely be possible

It's not possible to finish it in a day. The game forces you out of the palace.

Strimei

any tips?

Its up to you really, though I think its usually advised to let you take control of your party members.

Persona 3 didn't let you do that (it wasn't until its second rerelease, P3P, that you could) and there are some horror stories from that...

I imagine the AI is better nowadays but I'd still take control, myself (I did).

molnizzle

Kinda weird to me that everyone just accepts
that the PE teacher is dating a student like it's no big deal... is that considered acceptable in Japan? People lose their jobs for that shit here in the U.S. regardless of the student's age.

Quick early game spoiler question about Ann
is it normal for teachers to date students in japan? Cause they sure seem to act like it's totally normal.

It's forbidden. The university I used to attend to had it explicitly written in the Student Handbook I received when I enrolled there. But something tells me it's forbidden because it was a thing once (I don't have proof of that though).

DNAbro

Heh, not my experience earlier on in the game. Would always get them enraged, so I had to rely on them being panicked to obtain new personas.

It became super easy once I read they had personality types and certain types like certain answers. I'm just happy there is no "say the same thing, get different result", at least that I've noticed.

This game is chill as hell. Only played 2 hours but I can already tell the city is gonna feel like home just like Inaba, but in a different way.

ubiblu

well it says to "reach the treasure" in one day. I think it's theoretically possible but like wtf

Do not rely on what you believe the 'formula' of required days for each palace to be. You WILL get stung like I did in the JP version and lose 5-10 hours of progress <_<

cj_iwakura

Thoughts as of 4/13:

-As slick as the menus are(VERY), I wish they'd given similar flair to the rest of the party, like FFXIII did. It'd be cool if Morgana or Ryuji had their own character-specific animations when you go to their gear.
-I like that the protagonist feels like a character. Not 'you feel sleepy' but 'I feel sleepy', etc. He has his own thoughts and things more as well.
-Massive Persona 2 vibes, like the whole world and the school really is corrupt.
-The music makes me think of the Raidou games, similar jazzy vibe.
-Seems like they're shying away from the SMT demonary names.
'Two-horned beast' and 'guard captain' my foot, I know a Bicorn and Eligor when I see one.
-I almost feel like Igor should have been a new character. He seems really different, especially because of the voice.

I have no complaints about the dub or localization. There's a few stilted lines here and there, it happens. It's not like I'm playing Sword Art Online or Elminage Original or something.

LOVE moving around the city and areas, especially the free camera. Huge game changer.

well it says to "reach the treasure" in one day. I think it's theoretically possible but like wtf

Negotiate for healing items, careful conservation of SP for the mini-bosses and grinding the low level mooks, and you could reach the treasure in one day. It's not impossible, just very tedious to do so on your first playthrough.

Are you using one of those 100% confidant/stat guides? I'd advise against those since it makes playing the game so much more stressful. Just go with the flow and enjoy the game without thinking about optimizing every day. You're not really expected to see everything on your first playthrough.

Additional pro tip for one day dungeon runs, [early-mid gameplay spoiler]
once you get Doctor Lady to rank 5/6(?) she starts selling you accessories that regenerate SP in battle
, which allows you to easily clear dungeons in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom