• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much of a role does fatigue play in the dungeon crawling? It was my least favorite aspect of P3 (aside from not being able to control teammates) and I was stoked it was gone in P4.

No there's no fatigue but there's a you better conserve your sp and bring sp items mechanic.

Anyway does anyone miss the triple fusion from before? Right now there is one but it's preset

Shouta

Question about the 4/25 quiz about the Kakushinhan...

I read the Eurogamer guide but I'm still a bit confused. They said:

'What's the common usage of kakushinhan again, regarding an action you take? Knowing your actions are wrong.
But the real kakushinhan is the opposite, right? So the opposite means... Conviction that you're right."

So is there two questions? Like do you answer with the first and then the second?

About this, it's actually silly that they left this in basically untranslated, woof.

The correct answer to the first part, as I recall, is "Acting even though you know you're actions are wrong" while the second part of the answer, the opposite is "Acting when you are sure that what you're doing is correct."

I don't know how they worded but that should be right based off my memory of the JP version

ramyeon

You really need to label that fking last spoiler as something late game. Everything above it is just general / early gameplay stuff and then you decide to pop...that.

thanks a bunch.
Seriously. Fucking hell.

Mark your spoilers properly people.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bit of a slow start, but I'm getting along.

The style is amazing, and it really feels like Tokyo. I do have 2 gripes, however:

1) Movement sucks. The MC moves too fast, and the camera is a bit annoying. Character movement feels like it was ported straight from Catherine.

2) That damned sound whenever you come across an interaction is annoying as hell.

Not really spoilers, per se, but since people keep asking about teachers dating students:

It may not have come through in the localization, but it's pretty clear that Kamoshida is a hot-shot who can do whatever the hell he wants at the school and all the other administration will turn a blind eye to it. It's because he was an olympic medalist and thus he elevates the school's reputation enormously by serving as their head coach. This is why his palace sees the school as a castle with him as the king. It's incredibly clear from the deferential ways that people speak to and about him in Japanese, but the localization may not have conveyed all of that subtextual information properly.

Also about the MC's expulsion:

Again, it's incredibly clear from the speech in this scene that the guy who was assaulting the girl is super important and well connected. Any Japanese person viewing the scene will immediately understand that the MC is messing with someone way over his head (and showing incredible balls by doing so), and that everything that happens after that is this big shot spinning things against him. It seems that the localization really didn't fill in the blanks enough on this scene because I've seen tons of people asking about it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, when does the game stop holding my hand and let me choose when I want to go into dungeons? :|

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
9 days and 8 hours in on the first day... Whew. It seems like things are truly starting to get rolling. I now have complete freedom to do whatever like in previous Persona games. I guess the next thing I should start doing is getting myself familiar with the entire city and seeing what visiting certain locations does.

I also think it's fitting that it was a cloudy day today and that about just as soon as the rain in the game started, it began to pour down rain here as well. In addition, the jazzy soundtrack really fits the somewhat crowded and cluttered aesthetic of the game and does a great job of giving things a calm and moody feel.

Overall, great start.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Have you been using negotiate for money? It's quite possibly the best way in the game of getting money, but I find it's something that gets overlooked quite commonly. Often when you're fighting mooks that won't give good exp, it's a better idea to negotiate with them for money or items.

Only like four times maybe in my 20-ish hours playing, haha. Maybe I should do that more often, it's just right now I prioritize getting exp. more.

Not really spoilers, per se, but since people keep asking about teachers dating students:

It may not have come through in the localization, but it's pretty clear that Kamoshida is a hot-shot who can do whatever the hell he wants at the school and all the other administration will turn a blind eye to it. It's because he was an olympic medalist and thus he elevates the school's reputation enormously by serving as their head coach. This is why his palace sees the school as a castle with him as the king. It's incredibly clear from the deferential ways that people speak to and about him in Japanese, but the localization may not have conveyed all of that subtextual information properly.

Again, it's incredibly clear from the speech in this scene that the guy who was assaulting the girl is super important and well connected. Any Japanese person viewing the scene will immediately understand that the MC is messing with someone way over his head (and showing incredible balls by doing so), and that everything that happens after that is this big shot spinning things against him. It seems that the localization really didn't fill in the blanks enough on this scene because I've seen tons of people asking about it.

I thought the English translation communicated all of this very clearly. I do not know why so many people are lost.

Thewonandonly

Don't want to jump on then band wagon but I feel like Igors voice is off. I've only played 10 hours of p4 but I liked it better there. Here it's to deep for how he sounds.

Also whys everyone gotta be such a dick to me like damn...

Alucrid

Banned

it's all seemed pretty clear to me so far. it's not like that stereotype doesn't exist in the west either.

ramyeon

The localization for both of these things were fine imo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
i don't really get the slow start comments. seems faster than persona 4 about throwing you into it

Not really about when game "throws you into it" but rather about when the game "let me choose how I want to spend my days by myself" instead of putting me on rails.

My save file is around 5-6 hours before the game finally allowed me to roam free.

The localization makes both pretty clear, imo. I think it's more of a cultural disconnect, like people don't see how one person could realistically wield that kind of power over others.

Anyone sell the Soma you get from the healing set dlc? You get 50,000 yen for it.
I don't know whether to keep it or sell it. I won't need that kind of item for a while I don't think.

Shouta

As a reminder, (I'll put it in the thread title)

Please properly label your spoilers instead of just black baring everything. If you just tag everything, then other forum-goers will not know which spoiler they can look at:

Examples:
- Late game spoiler:
- For people that have finished the 4th dungeon:
There are other variations but that is the idea. If you're not sure how to spoiler what you want to talk about, feel free to PM me and I will help you when i see it.

suracity

Exactly
I want to a few more details

Regarding the teacher
It's also mentioned his volleyball club is Super renowned in the country and many student depend on it to get a scholarship and go to university. That's why parents turn a blind eye to this because in their eyes their children's future is on the stake.

Regarding the MC
in addition to that later half of game will explain even more why the MC is convicted.

Yeah, I have no idea how the localization is on that stuff. Just thought I'd spell it out a bit because so many people are apparently lost.

I actually do have a question regarding the localization, regarding Ann's friend.

What exactly did they say caused her to attempt suicide? As I recall, in Japanese it was strongly implied, but not outright stated, that Kamoshida sexually assaulted her. Is it the same in the English?

P4 introduced more characters up front. I'm a few hours in and I've only really met one classmate.

Ehh you meet Mishima, Anne, Ryuji, Morgana, Shiho as well as non school characters.

In P4 you meet Yosuke, Yukiko, Chie, Teddy, Saki and other non school characters. Seems about the same.

Yeah, I have no idea how the localization is on that stuff. Just thought I'd spell it out a bit because so many people are apparently lost.

I actually do have a question regarding the localization, regarding Ann's friend.

What exactly did they say caused her to attempt suicide? As I recall, in Japanese it was strongly implied, but not outright stated, that Kamoshida sexually assaulted her. Is it the same in the English?
Yes, that is what is implied.

Merkunt

Yes

ramyeon

It is the same in English.

First Palace spoilers:
Kamoshida's shadow outright states that since Ann wouldn't sleep with him he went to Shiho instead.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
The voice acting is so good ;_;

Yeah. The dub is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I chose it because I figured why not, I played the other Persona games (3 and 4) in English, so why not this one as well?

NESpowerhouse

Yeah, it was because Ann refused his sexual advances that caused him to go after her.

Miker

Is there a guide for how to get a Persona of (X) arcana as early as possible to help level up confidants faster? I want a Death arcana Persona but I haven't run into one yet by 4/18.

ramyeon

Is there any place I can study besides home and the library? The game is warning me that I might get distracted.
The Diner in Shibuya Central Street.
Is there a guide for how to get a Persona of (X) arcana as early as possible to help level up confidants faster? I want a Death arcana Persona but I haven't run into one yet by 4/18.
First palace:
You can get Mandrake from the get go in there.

Mieu

Anyone sell the Soma you get from the healing set dlc? You get 50,000 yen for it.
I don't know whether to keep it or sell it. I won't need that kind of item for a while I don't think.

Sell it and use the money as a headstart for your equipment upgrades. Alternatively, you can save the money to buy the SP regen accessory.

That's why it is important to invest time on
Death arcana.

Was P4 or P4G critiqued as much as P5? People are on fire!!!

Shouta

The localization makes both pretty clear, imo. I think it's more of a cultural disconnect, like people don't see how one person could realistically wield that kind of power over others.

Actually, I think there's a problem with how the situation was portrayed because of some translations.

I know some will be some disagreement with it but the issue lies with what happens after you hit Tokyo. The MC heads to his new home and
meets Sojiro. After they goe upstairs, Sojiro goes over how the situation as he knows it. The way this part is translated makes it look like it was reported that the MC stopped an attempted rape on the women and the badguy used his political influence to make the MC look bad. How I understood it based off the JP script was that it was reported that the MC assaulted a guy that was hitting on/trying to be friendly to a woman.

It's a very important distinction because everyone in the game think he just assaulted a guy for no reason. However, if it was reported that he stopped an attempted rape, it doesn't make sense that anyone would treat him like a pariah. But they would treat him like shit if they thought he was just being an ass to a guy for no legitimate reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom