• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still in the first dungeon. I'm curious, how many in game days did it take for any of you to complete the first dungeon? I'm talking about the point where you're cut loose.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Game is great so far. Wife said "this game is dumb" then proceeded to ask about the entire story and watch 20 minutes.

New story, but feels like Persona.

ramyeon

Actually, I think there's a problem with how the situation was portrayed because of some translations.

I know some will be some disagreement with it but the issue lies with what happens after you hit Tokyo. The MC heads to his new home and
meets Sojiro. After they goe upstairs, Sojiro goes over how the situation as he knows it. The way this part is translated makes it look like it was reported that the MC stopped an attempted rape on the women and the badguy used his political influence to make the MC look bad. How I understood it based off the JP script was that it was reported that the MC assaulted a guy that was hitting on/trying to be friendly to a woman.

It's a very important distinction because everyone in the game think he just assaulted a guy for no reason. However, if it was reported that he stopped an attempted rape, it doesn't make sense that anyone would treat him like a pariah. But they would treat him like shit if they thought he was just being an ass to a guy for no legitimate reason.
I didn't have any issues understanding from the English localization though.

Soma

maaaaaan this game is doing a good job at making certain characters get under my skin.

4/15: I'm so ready to bring Kamoshida down

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
P4 introduced more characters up front. I'm a few hours in and I've only really met one classmate.
This is what I'm noticing, it's quicker at putting you into gameplay, but the focus has been so narrow in the first 4 hours compared to the last two.

Actually, I think there's a problem with how the situation was portrayed because of some translations.

I know some will be some disagreement with it but the issue lies with what happens after you hit Tokyo. The MC heads to his new home and
meets Sojiro. After they goe upstairs, Sojiro goes over how the situation as he knows it. The way this part is translated makes it look like it was reported that the MC stopped an attempted rape on the women and the badguy used his political influence to make the MC look bad. How I understood it based off the JP script was that it was reported that the MC assaulted a guy that was hitting on/trying to be friendly to a woman.

It's a very important distinction because everyone in the game think he just assaulted a guy for no reason. However, if it was reported that he stopped an attempted rape, it doesn't make sense that anyone would treat him like a pariah. But they would treat him like shit if they thought he was just being an ass to a guy for no legitimate reason.

The English translation heavily implies that
Shido had the police falsify their police report to make the protagonist the initial aggressor.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Some of the writing in this game is killing me. I love it.

I can't tell if some of this stuff is intentional or not but I'm getting a kick out of it regardless.

And the music is just sublime.

Man, this being my first Persona makes me feel like I missed out on some great games.

Mieu

Still in the first dungeon. I'm curious, how many in game days did it take for any of you to complete the first dungeon? I'm talking about the point where you're cut loose.

3 or 4 should be fine. You barely have any SP items unless you had a shopping spree from the vending machines. Palaces are quite big in P5 so invest on proper persona and equipment.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well you need at the bare minimum of 3 days to complete dungeon, even more since now dungeon can have gimmicks that force you outside before you are allowed to proceed, as can be seen in the 2nd one (which I assume is going to be repeated on the next dungeons...) I managed to complete it in 5 days, IIRC. 2 days exploring and the rest the mandatory thing the game forced you to do.

I was caught off guard by the fact that the game forced you to go out and spend 2 days before you are allowed to fight the dungeon's boss tho and I have no save file to correct my assumption >_<

CrazyDude

Yeah, it was because Ann refused his sexual advances that caused him to go after her.
First full conversation with Ann stuff
The scene where the MC and her first talk alludes to that fact that he wrote down some love hotel for them to meet at and she was making excuses like appendicitis to delay having to go there.

I just took that as Sojiro knowing the actual situation because he is close enough to the MC's family to serve as his guardian, and everyone else just assumed what you just said because they had less details. Also it seemed like Sojiro thought he should stay out of it regardless if she was being raped or not, because their society seems to value bowing to authority over justice, and at least from where I'm at that seems to be a major theme of the game.

suracity

A mid game spoiler on why MC is convicted and why he is received in such a way by others. Only click if you are really bothered by this and want answe otherwise stick with the game so it will be explained later.

the guy you stopped used his power and influence to force the lady to give false testimony. This is detrimental and the most important "evidence". She reported you assaulted the guy when they were having a friendly conversation. And basically the police and prosecution and all that guys lap dog so MC is convinced. For everyone else you just a violent teen who assaulted someone with no reason.

Vire

Only an hour in but the game is very cool so far. Is there any penalty for taking as many in game days as I want to explore?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Is Sojiro a fucking pimp or something? I haven't started his social link, so I wouldn't know. I'm just wondering because he wears some of the pimpinest shit I've ever seen anybody outside of actual pimps wear.

Vanadium

My last two trips to Osaka I could have picked it up, but I held off because of work commitments, but dove in today. After 4 full playthroughs on Vita and PS2 copies of P4, it still feels the same but fresh.

The only thing that actually bothers me is the loading screen between every screen change. other than that, it's pretty amazing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can now roam free.

And I am already overwhelmed. The online daily stuff is really neat, but also makes me feel like I am going to be fucking up going against the majority, lol.

Totakeke

Playing on English, I didn't have any issues with this because it was explained what actually transpired later,
that the bad guy pressured the woman to falsely report that the protagonist actually assaulted him. That and he wielded immense political power. It could be confusing at first but it was clear that the whole story wasn't clear from the start. It was never about stopping an attempted rape.
Not sure how people could get confused other than that they expected everything to be laid out from the beginning.

So, quick question, is there any penalty to finishing the first dungeon (or any for that matter) early? Does it skip any remaining days or not?

Totakeke

This may be a different difficulty thing, but I found that resolving battles through negotiation on hard give about the same exp as killing enemies. But if you were fighting a battle against three enemies and didn't kill the other two before negotiating, you'd get less, yeah. But if it's just one enemy, then it's pretty much the same exp.

Kindekuma

Banned
6 hours in and finally going at it in the Palace. I had to pry myself away from the TV because it's getting late. I cannot wait to get back into more of this tomorrow. It's been ages since I've really sat down with a Persona game, since I beat Golden years ago. My love for the series is being reignited because so far this has been fantastic.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No penalty - the sooner the better imo.

It can feel like the dungeons are getting in the way of the real game, lol, which is to juggle between confidants, daily jobs, raising stat... the real persona experience, haha.

Ahh... it's a good feeling tho, barring the completely idiotic decision to disallow screen capture.

Shouta

The English translation heavily implies that
Shido had the police falsify their police report to make the protagonist the initial aggressor.

I just took that as Sojiro knowing the actual situation because he is close enough to the MC's family to serve as his guardian, and everyone else just assumed what you just said because they had less details. Also it seemed like Sojiro thought he should stay out of it regardless if she was being raped or not, because their society seems to value bowing to authority over justice, and at least from where I'm at that seems to be a major theme of the game.

You'll see what I mean as you get further. If you're interested now, suracity's spoiler actually explains in detail and is the way the events were supposed to be viewed by everyone in the game world. The dialogue is crafted in such a way that everyone you encounter in Tokyo is supposed to view it as suracity points out including
Sojiro
as I mentioned in my other post. The way he says it in the English version makes his character look a lot worse and you have to think of silly reasons as to why it would happen that way on top of screwing with the story a bit.

A mid game spoiler on why MC is convicted and why he is received in such a way by others. Only click if you are really bothered by this and want answe otherwise stick with the game so it will be explained later.

the guy you stopped used his power and influence to force the lady to give false testimony. This is detrimental and the most important "evidence". She reported you assaulted the guy when they were having a friendly conversation. And basically the police and prosecution and all that guys lap dog so MC is convinced. For everyone else you just a violent teen who assaulted someone with no reason.

Yep! This is exactly it for folks that want to spoiler themselves.

Playing on English, I didn't have any issues with this because it was explained what actually transpired later,
that the bad guy pressured the woman to falsely report that the protagonist actually assaulted him. That and he wielded immense political power. It could be confusing at first but it was clear that the whole story wasn't clear from the start. It was never about stopping an attempted rape.
Not sure how people could get confused other than that they expected everything to be laid out from the beginning.

Yeah, it makes more sense as you go further into the story but I saw a lot of folks that were bewildered early on, especially with the character I talked about. The story is supposed to make it clear that this is the case to the player early on and confirms it for you later.

Rozart

Ugh I just lost half an hours worth of dungeon progress because I was too stubborn to go back to the previous save point even after I've just unlocked the shortcut and I knew that everyone was critically low on SP.

Completely my fault but guuh, still kinda salty about it.

KodaRuss

Just left the second visit to the
castle
only a few hours into the game and I love it.

Morgana is great and really loving the changes to the gameplay as well. This game just rocks so far. Cannot wait to play more tomorrow.

Persona games to me are like reading a great book, I just keep saying one more page one more page and its extremely late and I have to get to bed.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
17523144_10210163098087226_5800454915201969481_n.jpg

Super happy my TYH edition actually arrived today. I was worried Amazon would pull some bullshit and I wouldn't get it. The delivery dude actually delivered it to our apartment door instead of just dropping it off in the office or pretending my wife wasn't there to pick it up. It was a long day at work, that's for sure, but I'm finally sitting down and playing now! I'm still pissed that Atlus won't let us stream the game. I enjoy cataloging my playthroughs of my new games, and it's absurd that they're being so paranoid about spoilers. I don't have capture equipment, so PS4 Share button has been great for logging my gameplay adventures. Meh.

Really digging it so far, but I'm stupidly early still.

Hikami

Props if you can actually clear the first dungeon in one day. I made it halfway then I just didn't have enough SP or items to keep going. Didn't realize they'd be this big.

mr2xxx

Banned
I think I missed something early in the game. During the dream sequence with the woman, what happened because the guy said I'm too slow and told the girl to get into the car but my game continued. I'm assuming I was supposed to control the character and save the girl but NOPE, I'm no hero. What did I miss?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
About 25 hrs in, love everything about this game

Biggest nitpicks because its all so damn good i want more of it...

Wish there were more variety of songs thats play during battle, more one liners during battle, and more end battle poses. In general just more variety of sfx and posing of characters. Its all so freaking gorgeous but playing SO many battles it starts to get tiring hearing morgana say "cool job joker!" 3x in a row after using a skill.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
3/4 Hours

If you're fast forwarding, maybe.

The
19th
I believe.

I'm 4 days or so away then. Thank god. I'm getting sick of this handholding.

Any reason why I would say no to a follow up attack? lol

Play on hard mode.
"King" boss that captures Ann. If you don't have various Personae at this point, your team can be wiped out with the exception of like Ann and Morgana
due to doing all-out attacks which doesn't keep them stumbled until their turn. Commo system like Persona 1-2 and other SMT titles: Items, Money, "LEND ME YOUR POWER" which replaces the Persona 3-4 SHUFFLE TIME system.

If you're talking ONE-MORE:
Baton Pass to another party member to knock down another demon to set-up for HOLD-UP->ALL-OUT ATTACKs

Rozart

Just left the second visit to the
castle
only a few hours into the game and I love it.

Morgana is great and really loving the changes to the gameplay as well. This game just rocks so far.

Yup the new changes to battle system have been fantastic. The baton passes, the negotiation system, the hiding/ambush system. etc

ramyeon

Props if you can actually clear the first dungeon on the first day. I made it halfway then I just didn't have enough SP or items to keep going. Didn't realize they'd be this big.
Me too. I got
all the way up to the tower area where the floor starts breaking apart and just couldn't push any further.

Feels harder than P3/4 was for me.

Totakeke

Yeah, it makes more sense as you go further into the story but I saw a lot of folks that were bewildered early on, especially with the character I talked about. The story is supposed to make it clear that this is the case to the player early on and confirms it for you later.

I suppose there's the degree of making it clear? Because it would be weird to have a scene later explaining what actually happened if there was no ambiguity in the first place.

epmode

Er, one of my personas* gets her next skill at level 9 but I can no longer see how many experience points it'll take to level up. Are there exp caps now? Caps that can only be bypassed with confidant exp bonuses or something?

*Silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom