• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Heh, dammit Atlus, give me a few hours until after I'm done with my 20-mile bike ride for today before you start stealth releasing trailers through console holders. Gotta give a corporate superhero a rest every now and again, man.

Anyway, I'll get onto translating that Direct trailer eventually, most likely tomorrow if new character profiles still go up tonight as planned. I'm downloading the raw Direct from Nintendo's channel now, so I should be ready to go whenever I feel up to it.

FluxWaveZ

Anyway, I'll get onto translating that Direct trailer eventually, most likely tomorrow if new character profiles still go up tonight as planned. I'm downloading the raw Direct from Nintendo's channel now, so I should be ready to go whenever I feel up to it.

Haha, really? Wouldn't have expected the Direct trailer + commentary to be worth working on, but cool.

Sophia

Oh God Tvtropes, wasn't gonna do anything productive anyways

Muahaha, another life ruined.

Heh, dammit Atlus, give me a few hours until after I'm done with my 20-mile bike ride for today before you start stealth releasing trailers through console holders. Gotta give a corporate superhero a rest every now and again, man.

Take your time, we're in no hurry here after all. >_>

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Haha, really? Wouldn't have expected the Direct trailer + commentary to be worth working on, but cool.

Iwata's commentary isn't really worth paying any mind since he just goes over gameplay basics that we're all familiar with, but somebody's gonna bug me about translating the character dialog anyway since that's part and parcel with my work and it's not like I have anything else to do now that I got my Japanese interview out of the way earlier this week. I need something to do anyway to get over all the feels that Super Dangan Ronpa 2's ending gave me anyway, ahaha.

FluxWaveZ

Iwata's commentary isn't really worth paying any mind since he just goes over gameplay basics that we're all familiar with, but somebody's gonna bug me about translating the character dialog anyway since that's part and parcel with my work and it's not like I have anything else to do now that I got my Japanese interview out of the way earlier this week. I need something to do anyway to get over all the feels that Super Dangan Ronpa 2's ending gave me anyway, ahaha.

Fair enough; I'm interested in seeing the dialogue, anyways. There'll probably be those two new character trailers to keep you busy later on as well, heh.

CorvoSol

less than 40 days left till Christmas, somewhere around 35 links to go. Fuck rain. Fuck it forever. Fuck the populace of Inaba for doing fuck all during the rain. Fuck the guide for forcing me to do those stupid ass Fox SLinks when I could've done that shit during the constant rain storm that is Inaba's Fall.

FluxWaveZ

Attempt #3 at correctly predicting weekly PQ character videos: so if nothing weird happens this week and they're following some kind of order instead of going random, the character videos for tomorrow should be Fuuka and Kanji.

Sophia

You've had enough.

Put. The site. Down. :p

This is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a TVTropes link.... :D

I was kind of hoping to hear something regarding Persona Q in English, but meh. Realistically didn't expect it, even if I wanted it.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Attempt #3 at correctly predicting weekly PQ character videos: so if nothing weird happens this week and they're following some kind of order instead of going random, the character videos for tomorrow should be Fuuka and Kanji.

I'm betting on Spacey Girl and Mitsuru's Closeted Lesbian Stalker myself, but I can respect your choices, too.

PK Gaming

Man, Kenji would be waaaaaaaay into Kashiwagi.

tumblr_lohrkbvXzS1qe4y0zo1_500.png

FluxWaveZ

Something weird happened via the Nintendo Direct, of course. Seeing how they updated their site with a link to the Nintendo Direct JP video, maybe that's all they'll have for this week.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I'm glad we could all be here to share in this moment together, you guys. I feel a lot closer than we were just an hour ago.

Gazoinks

I'm glad we could all be here to share in this moment together, you guys. I feel a lot closer than we were just an hour ago.

You feel your bond deepening. The PersonaGAF Social Link has reached Rank 5. You will gain additional power when fusing Personas of the Fool Arcana.

Squire

Banned

Didn't see you post in the DR2 localization announcement thread, so why don't you share your thoughts here?

You all should be playing DR, btw. The P3/4 influence is crystal clear and thr Ace Attorney/Zero Esxape influence is even stronger. The game is this wonderful cocktail of all this great stuff.

And the OST is AMAAAAAZE.

Gazoinks

Didn't see you post in the DR2 localization announcement thread, so why don't you share your thoughts here?

You all should be playing DR, btw. The P3/4 influence is crystal clear and thr Ace Attorney/Zero Esxape influence is even stronger. The game is this wonderful cocktail of all this great stuff.

I'm definitely gonna pick it up this year. I think I want to play through Zero Escape and at least some AA first though.

Acid08

Banned

I'm counting down the days until I get paid next week, man, believe me. Hopefully I'll be done with P1P by then.

hao chi

UPS says my copy should be here tomorrow, so I'm going to be jumping into that as soon as I get home from work. Any game that's compared to Zero Escape has my interest, and adding in Ace Attorney definitely doesn't hurt.

CorvoSol

You feel your bond deepening. The PersonaGAF Social Link has reached Rank 5. You will gain additional power when fusing Personas of the Fool Arcana.

You briefly ponder whether or not you have enough time to max out the SLink after wasting too much time in wacky depressing news threads.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!

I actually showed up very briefly to state my pleasure that the game is coming over. I'll probably always have my disagreements with how different translators handle those games since different people are going to have different approaches to something like that, but what matters more in the end is that people who aren't me will be able to get to play the game overseas at all and that makes me super happy. Having finished it on the PSP just a couple of days ago, it's easily become one of my favorite games in the past several years at least. It just feels like it improves upon an already fantastic foundation in pretty much every respect and the story it has to tell is both really nuanced and moving. I actually managed to cry over a couple of the character deaths and a lot of the twists were otherwise really good at eliciting strong reactions; it's just that good at manipulating your emotions and I love it, hard to play though it can be at times.

That being said, I think between 2 and the original game that 2 is actually even more difficult to translate in a lot of respects. It's an even more confident game in terms of having uniquely Japanese writing that makes you read between the lines to really get a character's intent and then on top of that, it's laced with a good number of Japanese pop cultural references that can't all necessarily be rewritten to make palatable to western audiences without affecting the integrity of the plotline. There's one case in particular that I'm curious to see how they deal with that issue because the case is the reference it makes; I suspect they'll ultimately just translate it straightforward and risk a lot of players not entirely catching onto the significance of the reference, but we'll see.

Regardless, it's good to see the series very quickly coming into its own overseas and giving Spike Chunsoft the global attention they really deserve. They've really quickly come up in my eyes as having some of the best writers in the industry and it's always nice to have that work available in other languages so that people don't always have to take my word for it. I will say that the way that Super Dangan Ronpa 2 ends, I'm not at all sure how Spike Chunsoft develops the series from there, but the quality of that game has ensured that I'll be following them closely from here on out and translating whatever new material comes out as they do. They excite too much as a writer to not work on that series in some capacity.

Top Bottom