• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

Guys which Persona give the following skill cards?:

-Mind Charge
-Mediaharan
-Maragidyne

It's literally all I need for Izanagi to be perfect. He's level 99, maxed stats, has all the other Madynes, Megidolaon Cute, and God's Hand. All I need is these skills.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
As promised, Persona Q Nintendo Direct stuff done and subtitled. Iwata doesn't really have anything new to say, but if you wanted more character exposition and a reminder of how Etrian Odyssey-y the battles are going to be, well, there you go.

Also while I'm pretty confident in my subtitles for most of the voice acted dialog that doesn't have a speech bubble to verify things, Iwata sometimes talks over them quite a bit, so take the contents of some of that stuff with a grain of salt. The perils when you don't get to work at Atlus as a translator~

Jintor

Persona4_15_7.jpg

artist's rendition

Gazoinks

"I give no fucks about these voice actor cliques."

I'm not kidding.

I am very much looking forward to this one. :D

Also, I'm in (P4)
the Void Quest right now and I forgot how cool this dungeon's aesthetic and music is. They should've made it first person. :D

I also never noticed that there are T-bone steaks hung on the walls.

FluxWaveZ

As promised, Persona Q Nintendo Direct stuff done and subtitled. Iwata doesn't really have anything new to say, but if you wanted more character exposition and a reminder of how Etrian Odyssey-y the battles are going to be, well, there you go.

Oh cool, thanks.

Not to belabor the point of canon, but that Kanji and Yu/Nanako scene seems to take place outside of the labyrinth before the main story begins, and I'm pretty sure it didn't happen in P4 proper.

I have a feeling that most here will start PQ by taking the Persona 4 path, right?

Acid08

Banned
Oh cool, thanks.

Not to belabor the point of canon, but that Kanji and Yu/Nanako scene seems to take place outside of the labyrinth before the main story begins, and I'm pretty sure it didn't happen in P4 proper.

I have a feeling that most here will start PQ by taking the Persona 4 path, right?
Most probably will.

Most are definitely wrong.

Games like what Spike-Chunsoft or Atlus put out are pretty doable with a few years of studying, provided that the regimen is good and you're constantly ensuring that you're learning more Japanese beyond what the classes and homework specifically mandate. I was able to play Catherine and Persona 3 Portable in Japanese as a third-year student years ago and more or less had a solid grasp on what can be pretty complex happenings from time to time. But I'd say it took me a few more years to really feel I was equipped to read between the lines in Japanese and appreciate writing in it from a stylistic perspective.

So I'd say that the answer varies; it's not that much time if you're mostly interested in just grasping enough to understand what's happening from point to point, but otherwise a pretty decent chunk if you want to understand and enjoy those games on a level similar to how natives are. I've heard of people with really crazy study schedules manage to achieve high proficiency Japanese in a year or two after starting, but that all but assumes you're capable of studying 8+ hours a day, 7 days a week and can handle complete immersion in the language from the get-go, which is a setup that most people aren't able to do just because of life circumstances, myself included. I'd personally say that it's okay to not push yourself that fast to be able to play 2 in Japanese before the NISA localization is out. The Japanese version will always exist if you're still curious and want to go back and replay the game in that language to get a fresh take on how it's written natively later on when you're ready. That series is brilliant in its native language, to be sure, but not even I would say it's worth learning Japanese for on its own in the end, especially since, from what I'm seeing now that 1 is out here, the NISA localizations are being worked on by people who know what they're doing and making the best of what they have. :)
Well, I'm studying by myself, so I don't know exactly what would be the equivalent. In this month and a half I have learned about 200 kanji and some basic grammars.
Obviously it's not like I'm learning it for this only, it's just a language I would really like to know for many reasons, not something in particular.

Sophia

Interesting detail regarding the second Persona 3 movie. Tomohisa Taguchi will be directing it, in contrast to Noriaki Akitaya who directed the first. As far as I can tell, the rest of the staff has not changed.

Tomohisa Taguchi directed episodes 8, 14, 17, and 25 of Persona 4 the animation. He's also directed episodes of Sora no Otoshimono, Humanity Has Declined, and Muv-Luv Alternative. He's pretty new as far as directors go, but I have confidence after seeing the trailer and given the stellar work done on the first one.

Heck no. I'm starting with the Persona 3 path! Of course... that was probably obvious. >_>;

Gazoinks

We'll never be rid of the specter of Seiji Kishi. Just noticed he also did Danganronpa and DeSu 2. Stop making mediocre anime of good games!

EDIT: I forgot how... smarmy some of Rise's lines are.
"Y-Yosuke-senpai... was cool? No way!"
"Not bad, for Kanji!"

*While I was typing this my party got wiped by a lucky Hamaon.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Well, I'm studying by myself, so I don't know exactly what would be the equivalent. In this month and a half I have learned about 200 kanji and some basic grammars.
Obviously it's not like I'm learning it for this only, it's just a language I would really like to know for many reasons, not something in particular.

Ah, in which case, I'd say the general target to aim for before comfortably tackling those sorts of games would be JLPT N2 at the very least, but N1 more ideally, so basically a solid grasp of all 2000+ major kanji and a semi-advanced to advanced level of knowledge pertaining to grammar and expressions/colloquialisms. Basically they expect you to be roughly as literate as a native to get the full experience out of them or very close in order to compensate for any blank spots you might have. Atlus games are on the slightly easier side of that scale since most everything is written pretty colloquially, but Dangan Ronpa pulls no linguistic punches in that regard; the games are very much so written like proper Japanese novels, which is no surprise considering that the writer behind them is well versed in that arena. It's hard to provide a general time frame for linguistic mastery in general, especially when it comes to self-study, so I don't know how much of a better idea I can give you beyond basic linguistic expectations for the games. It's definitely very doable to get to that point through self-study, but I didn't start doing that until I basically ran out of classes to take at my university, so my perspective is a bit skewed probably.

CorvoSol

We'll never be rid of the specter of Seiji Kishi. Just noticed he also did Danganronpa and DeSu 2. Stop making mediocre anime of good games!

EDIT: I forgot how... smarmy some of Rise's lines are.
"Y-Yosuke-senpai... was cool? No way!"
"Not bad, for Kanji!"

*While I was typing this my party got wiped by a lucky Hamaon.

Oh yeah that one about Yosuke is like a massive kick in the balls. On the other hand, Rise never gets to see Yosuke doing or being cool because she shows up and he's like "OH SNAP RISETTE I WANNA FUCK YOU SO BAAAAD." Meanwhile, Yu puts on ALL the moves.

So where I'm at now:
Aeon 7, Strength, Priestess, Magician & Sun-9, Death 5/6, Moon 6.

I think I can manage that. It's December 3rd and stuff is about to get intense, but I can definitely manage this, I think. Temperance and Hanged Man are out, so the only one I'm unsure on is Moon.

Acid08

Banned
I'm with you guys, gonna play PQ's P3 path first. Pretty obvious, I know. I'll probably let my brother play P4 path since he really enjoyed P4.
It's been so long since the P3 cast has been all together like this. FIENDING for new dialogue and interactions from them.

It's been so long since the P3 cast has been all together like this. FIENDING for new dialogue and interactions from them.

Haha, same here. I'm also curious how high-school-aged P3 cast would interact with P4's cast. One of the things I enjoyed in P4A was seeing slightly older P3 characters interacting with P4 characters. Now we can see the whole cast of both games as peers in PQ, should be interesting.

Jintor

Since I watched P4, then played P4G, then P3, P3:FES and P3P, I'll actually be gladder to go back and hang with the Investigation team.

Though I did watch the P4:the Animation at some point I guess.

Dantis

Okay, so I did it, I went ahead and made a tumblr to catalog all of the hypothetical Shadows I've been doing.

http://personashadows.tumblr.com/

Spread the word!

Cool. Followed you.

Also while I'm pretty confident in my subtitles for most of the voice acted dialog that doesn't have a speech bubble to verify things, Iwata sometimes talks over them quite a bit, so take the contents of some of that stuff with a grain of salt. The perils when you don't get to work at Atlus as a translator~

You're a star. Appreciated as always!

koutoru

I guess if they wanted to fit this game into the canon persona timeline they could give everyone memory loss bypass most of the contradictions.
Although I doubt this is the last time we'll see Zen and Rei in a Persona game.

*HUGE P4G near-endgame spoilers*

So.. Looking at the strategy for the last boss
after Adachi
to find the recommended level, and I find that
Kanji and Naoto
are supposed to be essentially useless for this fight... But chie, Yukiko and especially Yosuke (I'm pretty sure he's level 21...) are all severely underleveled.

I absolutely am not grinding those guys up 40-60 levels.

Am I completely fucked here?

Nothing wrong with going on a few Golden Hand hunts.

MC with Hassou Tobi or Almighty skills can pretty much wreck them in a couple of turns or less.

...right, but the issue here is I entered at the 20th, so I don't have the time to rest to regain SP, nor the money to replenish it.

And are you referring to the end bosses or the hands? I've been spamming the hands with megido and megidon(?) from MC and
Naoto
when I run into them.

Adachi
and the final boss aren't doable at all really with a MC,
Ted, Kanji, Naoto
party setup?

MSMrRound

1) Focus on fusing a Persona with innate MP recovery skills. Go for basic recovery skills if you aren't able to obtain Personas with Victory Cry (full HP+MP recovery post-battle)
2) Have you been neglecting Rise's social link? After a certain level she pretty much can help to recover quite a bit of MP after every battle.
3) Go online and hope to bump into some random soul who's willing to answer your SOS call and help you to recover some MP? (Then again, I always try to help others but I'll be lucky if I get any helping me back >.>)

If you are out of options, you can run the lower dungeons and farm SP healing items.

1) Focus on fusing a Persona with innate MP recovery skills. Go for basic recovery skills if you aren't able to obtain Personas with Victory Cry (full HP+MP recovery post-battle)
2) Have you been neglecting Rise's social link? After a certain level she pretty much can help to recover quite a bit of MP after every battle.

If you are out of options, you can run the lower dungeons and farm SP healing items.

1) any decent personas around the area of level 67 that I could fuse with that through a special fusion?
2) nope. Maxed. All but Yosuke and
Naoto
are for party members. Still isn't replenishing it at a fast enough rate.
3) always am. Always reply, am lucky to get one back each time. People are assholes, lol.

Ah, in which case, I'd say the general target to aim for before comfortably tackling those sorts of games would be JLPT N2 at the very least, but N1 more ideally, so basically a solid grasp of all 2000+ major kanji and a semi-advanced to advanced level of knowledge pertaining to grammar and expressions/colloquialisms. Basically they expect you to be roughly as literate as a native to get the full experience out of them or very close in order to compensate for any blank spots you might have. Atlus games are on the slightly easier side of that scale since most everything is written pretty colloquially, but Dangan Ronpa pulls no linguistic punches in that regard; the games are very much so written like proper Japanese novels, which is no surprise considering that the writer behind them is well versed in that arena. It's hard to provide a general time frame for linguistic mastery in general, especially when it comes to self-study, so I don't know how much of a better idea I can give you beyond basic linguistic expectations for the games. It's definitely very doable to get to that point through self-study, but I didn't start doing that until I basically ran out of classes to take at my university, so my perspective is a bit skewed probably.
Well, it will definitely take a while to get to N1. I'm about halfway through the N4 kanji but the site I'm using doesn't follow the order, so I'm not sure how long it will take.
Recently I haven't felt that good so I slowed down quite a bit on grammar, but I'm planning to get back on track today.
Thanks a lot for the information provided!
Did you take the JLPT test?

Top Bottom