• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Well, it will definitely take a while to get to N1. I'm about halfway through the N4 kanji but the site I'm using doesn't follow the order, so I'm not sure how long it will take.
Recently I haven't felt that good so I slowed down quite a bit on grammar, but I'm planning to get back on track today.
Thanks a lot for the information provided!
Did you take the JLPT test?

Yeah, it'll probably take you a while to find your groove. Kanji memorization aside, I tend to find Japanese a generally more straightforward language than English in terms of rules since they're all much more consistent and tend to have very few exceptions, but it pretty much takes most anybody coming to it from English a while to transition to it and really have their brain click into that mode completely, so don't get discouraged if things aren't always super smooth sailing. Naturally, though, since you are just studying by yourself and aren't beholden to a class schedule or anything, you can ride those waves out a lot more naturally and just adjust your pacing without any real consequences as you've been doing. The key is to stay engaged and push yourself, but without burning out and it looks like you're doing a good job figuring out what works for you. Feel free to hit me up when you make it to the higher levels later on if you find yourself unsure of what to use for study materials since native English textbooks and whatnot dry up around the N3, lower N2 level for the most part. :)

One thing to bear in mind about kanji memorization is that the actual application of them matters just as much as being able to recognize them at a glance. I see a lot of new people just grind their way through all 2000-ish major kanji in an attempt to get that aspect over with, but unless you're a super genius, it'll be a few years before you've really retained all that knowledge, so I think the more important thing is to just make sure you're constantly expressing yourself using what kanji you do know so that you really get the meaning and muscle memory for writing different ones down pat. I personally never really studied kanji while particularly adhering to a schedule defined by JLPT guidelines; I mostly just started with necessities and immediate interests so I could talk about important stuff as well as stuff I liked as soon as possible and then branched out from there. Basically it's not the end of the world if you don't master all 2000 particularly quickly. If you're already at 200 within just a few months, you're already going way faster than natives do when they pick them up at school growing up; non-natives learning Japanese later in life tend to learn them on a comparatively compressed time-table, but it's still best to go easy on yourself, especially while your brain is still really getting accustomed to such a glyph-heavy writing system.

I did take N1, yeah. It's a really rough test at that level, even if you know what you're doing. I had really excellent textbooks that used the previous year's material and then I was caught by surprise when the test I took basically covered none of that stuff; it was still familiar territory since I'd studied it in Japan, but it wasn't what I'd focused on. There's also a very heavy bias on listening comprehension, which isn't inherently bad, but there's no writing portion where you're answering prompts or anything, so people like me that are much better writers than speakers in any language, English included, tend to be pretty screwed. There's also no actual speaking portion, either, which is why there's actually been a shift in recent years towards other fluency certification tests, since JLPT is about as archaic and overly Japanese in structure as it gets. Realistically speaking, the difference in skill between someone who passes N1 versus N2 isn't really that significant and a lot of foreigners land work in Japan with N2 certification, so more realistically speaking, that might be the one to really aim for for the time being. I don't regret taking N1 at all or being able to engage in Japanese at that level, obviously, but the grammar you learn at that point is for the most part so obscure that you don't tend to see it used a lot outside literature. That's great for games like Dangan Ronpa, but not otherwise always useful for just getting by in day-to-day Japan.

Gah, I'm just rambling at this point. Obviously I'm a bit opinionated when it comes to all this stuff, ahaha. I hope what I've written is at least of some use to you.

Sophia

*HUGE P4G near-endgame spoilers*

So.. Looking at the strategy for the last boss
after Adachi
to find the recommended level, and I find that
Kanji and Naoto
are supposed to be essentially useless for this fight... But chie, Yukiko and especially Yosuke (I'm pretty sure he's level 21...) are all severely underleveled.

I absolutely am not grinding those guys up 40-60 levels.

Am I completely fucked here?

If it's the fight I'm thinking of,
Ameno-sagiri
, Naoto is not useless for that fight. Infact, she's my preferred party member for it in Golden due to having two native elements plus the potential for all four elements.

Also, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of hpw the leveling system works. Any character below your Protagonist will level up much faster. Just have your protagonist solo encounters with only the other member of the party present, and they'll gain levels fast. You should be able to solo stuff that late in the game, right?

You can also farm lower level dungeons too, as MSMrRound said. SP restoring items are not rare, and there are means through Shuffle Time to restore HP/SP as well.

Ulala_remake.png

RIP

Maybe she would remember if Atlus actually localized P2EPP ya fookers

PK Gaming

Haha well, Ulala had 5... maybe 8 lines of voiced dialogue at most, and she probably recorded for EP in the late 90s.

The chances of her remembering who Ulala is are slim to none.

Levito

Banned
Amanda 'cast was nothing like I was expecting. She's a wild/hilarious person, she basically opened the skype call with:

"Hello and welcome to the Amagi inn, my name is Yukiko, and I got this job by gargling balls."

Not sure if I got that one made it in the recording, will find out soon.

kewlmyc

Amanda 'cast was nothing like I was expecting. She's a wild/hilarious person, she basically opened the skype call with:

"Hello and welcome to the Amagi inn, my name is Yukiko, and I got this job by gargling balls."

Lol, that's fantastic.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

EJR8qla.jpg

snrkx100

EMT0

Banned

What in the

Yukiko confirmed as slut.

PK Gaming

Speaking of this, I sometimes have the displeasure of searching the GameFAQs boards for fusion tips, and they got this weird notion over there that Rise, of all people, is one. The heck's up with that?
There's this one user who has this psychotic vendetta against Rise. He's got a couple of supporters, which means that any thread involving Rise quickly goes to hell.

I'm glad I found this community, because I sure as hell didn't want to talk about Persona with those guys...

Her frequent flirting with the protagonist.

She just wants senpai to notice her that's all :p

There's this one user who has this psychotic vendetta against Rise. He's got a couple of supporters, which means that any thread involving Rise quickly goes to hell.

I'm glad I found this community, because I sure as hell didn't want to talk about Persona with those guys...

As someone who first started posting on forums over at gamefaqs (not for Persona, just in general), I'm glad I'm not there anymore lol

Gazoinks

apdVd44.png

Young Magus

:O

CorvoSol

Her frequent flirting with the protagonist.

Dude if flirting with someone constantly makes you a slut, that makes entire cultures slutty. Besides, the game lets Yu flirt with her just as much, and when you actually do get serious with her a lot of that pretense is dropped.

Sounds like the nutjob who insists the Final Fantasy Type-0 translation team has been lying.

Man what the heck.

Caladrius

Dude if flirting with someone constantly makes you a slut, that makes entire cultures slutty. Besides, the game lets Yu flirt with her just as much, and when you actually do get serious with her a lot of that pretense is dropped.

Silly Corvo, engaging in any kind of flirting makes someone a slut. Even if it's their spouse!

This is why Yukiko is #1!

Levito

Banned

There's this angry dude in the Megaten community that's become famous for being a complete shitapple. He goes around on twitter and forums basically just telling everyone to kill themselves.

He set the slink twitter around many, many tweets calling us racical slurs and that we should kill ourselves. He did the same thing to the CoS podcast as well.

I kinda feel sorry for people like that, it's like--how bad must your life be?

Is it the guy who calls her Rice.

Oh and, I was kidding about her remembering Ulala btw, its like a 20 line dialog recording lol.

Haha, I know. :p

She sadly didn't remember anything about Devil Survivor Overclocked either. >_<

Oh God. December 3rd is too much, man. This is New Game +, I knew it was coming, but I maxed these SLinks this time. My heart.
That conversation in
Nametame's room
is like disarming a damn bomb to get through it properly.

Is basketball polishing a real thing? I have never heard of that before Persona 4.

Gazoinks

Does anyone know off the top of their head what a recipe is for Pyro Jack (or where I can find one)? I want to make Black Frost, and it's the only thing I'm missing.

Top Bottom