• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Gazoinks

Maybe it's because P4 is the only one I've beaten, but
Going into two dungeons based on murderers' minds and everything about December 3rd is incredibly dark.

I'd say P4 is much more about contrasts than the other games in the series. Like, P3 is pretty uniformly dreary with some bright spots, and the same goes for P2 (although that gets silly at times) and what I've played of 3. P4 has a lot of bright points, but that just makes the dark stuff more effective and have more meaning. So I actually prefer P4's dark. :p

Acid08

Banned
Going into two dungeons based on murderers' minds and everything about December 3rd
is incredibly dark.
Parts of P4 are very dark for sure. But even compared to P3 the overall tone is much lighter. And now that I'm mostly through P1P I feel comfortable saying that it was even darker in the past.

Gazoinks

Parts of P4 are very dark for sure. But even compared to P3 the overall tone is much lighter. And now that I'm mostly through P1P I feel comfortable saying that it was even darker in the past.

The tone of P1 and 2 definitely feels closer to the other MegaTen games, imo. Which also means darker. :p

CorvoSol

So is the rest of the series like SMT4, then? Cuz that game felt more like a Zombie Apocalypse RPG than anything.
Fuck Walter, though. Law or Neutral all the way.

Gazoinks

So is the rest of the series like SMT4, then? Cuz that game felt more like a Zombie Apocalypse RPG than anything.

Sort of. Nocturne is similarly post-apoc Tokyo, although in a kind of different way. The other games are all different. Raidou takes place in the thirties, Soul Hackers is the 90s OVA cyberpunk future, etc.

koutoru

Going into two dungeons based on murderers' minds and everything about December 3rd
is incredibly dark.

Out of all the Persona games P4 is definitely the "feel good" Persona game.

The tone of P1 and 2 definitely feels closer to the other MegaTen games, imo. Which also means darker. :p

You could also make the argument that even Persona 3 is considerably more darker than Persona 4.

Sort of. Nocturne is similarly post-apoc Tokyo, although in a kind of different way. The other games are all different. Raidou takes place in the thirties, Soul Hackers is the 90s OVA cyberpunk future, etc.
Don't forget that SMT IF... takes place right before Persona 1.

CorvoSol

If the Velvet Room reflects the guest's heart, does that mean that Yu is incredibly classy and has a taste for fine liquors in fancy glass flasks? While Makoto is . . . really into Elevators?

Gazoinks

Out of all the Persona games P4 is definitely the "feel good" Persona game.

You gets off pretty easy for a Persona protag too. :p Yeah, P4's probably the most cheerful (but not entirely as I said) Persona game. There's nothing wrong with preferring 1, 2, or 3's tone, but it really annoys me when people are like "P4 is cheerful! Not mature enough!" Because you can only be mature while being angsty I guess.

That wasn't aimed at anyone here, by the way. Just a general annoyance. :p

Not AS dark, but still. Combine modern Persona 3/4 with shades of the darkness in SMTIV...kind of. P1 and ESP P2 can get really wacky though...but yea.

Gazoinks

Not AS dark, but still. Combine modern Persona 3/4 with shades of the darkness in SMTIV...kind of. P1 and ESP P2 can get really wacky though...but yea.

Yeah. P2 IS's tone especially kind of ping pongs between being pretty dark and incredibly wacky. EP's feels more tonally consistent, which I like.

CorvoSol

I guess my problem is that I'm used to the FF Fanbase where people wanting shit to be dark have no leg to stand on because FF's been balancing the angst with the goof since its second installment.

Gazoinks

I guess my problem is that I'm used to the FF Fanbase where people wanting shit to be dark have no leg to stand on because FF's been balancing the angst with the goof since its second installment.

Well, SMT can be pretty goofy at times (I always get a kick out of the demons just casually chillin' in Nocturne), but a lot of the games have a more oppressive feel than you see in a lot of JRPGs.

koutoru

I think this chart helps put some perspective on how different SMT protagonists came out in the end.

megaten_thumb.png

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/23/an-assessment-of-shin-megami-tensei-protagonist-endings/

Acid08

Banned
P1 is similar to P3 I guess. Highschool kids in bigger Japanese city, they even name drop places like Shinjuku in it.

koutoru

That pic is heavy spoiler grenade >_>
Dammit..
I thought about that too. But with the exception of Narukami, and Nakajima, the rest of the SMT games generally follow a trend of some sort catch 22 in the end.
Meaning that no matter which side you're on, there are always some consequences in the end (good and bad).

kiriin

is incredibly dark.

A lot of the heavier context been lost because the way they juxtapose some of the p4 themes and the cultural differences. A six month unsolved serial murder case in a small town isn't exactly taken lightly in Japan.

Tell us buddha....tell us who it's missing ;)

Devil Survivor 2 Guy (Bunny)
Strange Journeyman
Flynn of SMTIV
Maya Amano of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment
I know I can faintly see Male Tamaki Uchida from SMT If... but female is canon and they should put Tamaki in a spot there cuz She/He does have a canon ending and such.

A lot of the heavier context been lost because the way they juxtapose some of the p4 themes and the cultural differences. A six month unsolved serial murder case in a small town isn't exactly taken lightly in Japan.
I don't think one would be taken lightly in any small town, regardless of nation.

fertygo

Not really. I feel like it's something you'd need a good understanding of the different plots to appreciate.

The problem is if you recognize one character, you're gonna immediately relate it to the other in category and thus get thrown to spoiler.

See: Makoto

Trigger

It's weird how flat Marge is in the original P4 compared to Elizabeth who was full of interesting comments and personality. I'm not sure why the writers chose to portray her that way.

fertygo

It's weird how flat Marge is in the original P4 compared to Elizabeth who was full of interesting comments and personality. I'm not sure why the writers chose to portray her that way.

Well obviously she's supposed for being serious secretary type in contrast of Elizabeth, with addition of Marie.. they could expand her sarcastic side.

Acid08

Banned
This got me thinking, Elizabeth's date requests suffer a lot from the presentation in P3P. They go from really funny and charming to almost completely flat. The little animations make them.

Trigger

This got me thinking, Elizabeth's date requests suffer a lot from the presentation in P3P. They go from really funny and charming to almost completely flat. The little animations make them.

True. The presentation hurts a lot of the story and character moments in P3P.

CorvoSol

Alice, iirc.

Thanks. I don't think I have the time to collect the three skill cards I need, but if I can get their personas registered in the compendium, subsequent playthroughs will see me obtain them and have Izanagi invincible. As it is if I were to fuse the Ultimate Persona, I'd actually be losing levels and stats, haha.

Top Bottom