• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Acid08

Banned
tumblr_inline_n18tidqRWk1qhaskl.png

So what did you think of the game overall?
It was pretty good!

I think I made a mistake taking people advice on what Personas to use. The suggested Personas made the game really, really easy and the fights became boring, which is a problem when 95% of the game is combat. When I eventually play the SQQ I'll try to do it without any help. It was my first real experience with the talking to demons stuff and that was okay I guess? I never felt like I had a great grasp on what responses would lead to the desired result. Also the game never made it clear why sometimes negotiations didn't work. For example I'd get to the spell card stage with Elly(who's a few levels higher than the demon) but it would still say I was too weak. So I guess the average level of your party had sway over whether you get the card or not. Game never explained that though.

Presentation and stuff....pretty standard I guess? It's an old game so I'm not going to be too harsh. The portraits were pretty ugly though, did they redo them at all? I did LOVE the style the cutscenes were in. It's a shame most of them were under a minute long. Music was all great, hats off to Meguro.

Story was almost non-existent. There's more story in the P4 intro than the entirety of this game :p. What was there was cool though, I started off thinking Nanjo was lame but he underwent some cool story stuff and turned out pretty good. Also did his epilogue imply that he became
homeless???? Like, I don't know how you're gonna become the #1 Man In Japan sleeping on trains trying to be the modern Buddha
. Mark was awesome, dude kept out real constantly.
I really like that he went to NY to become a drug addict artist
. Maki was
obviously the focal point of the story from early on and man did she love shitting out alternate versions of herself. Girl needs to be a little less self-obsessed, just sayin'
. MC is a REAL silent protagonist. Makoto and Yu are bastions of personality in comparison. Best for last though, Elly. Thought her obsession with the occult was super cool. She would get so stoked over the weirdest shit. And the game implies
that the MC becomes Maki's boyfriend later on but fuck that shit, my silent protag is all about Elly. Cool how at the end you just take off with both of them though, leaving Mark and Nanjo in the dust

Definitely think it's worth it for 3/4 fans to play this. It was cool seeing the beginning of the franchise and what concepts they carried over to the later games. I feel a little more appreciative for just how much content is in the newer games too. I definitely prefer the Persona games having a much stronger emphasis on the story.

#artdrop

Gonna wait a bit until I start P2IS. Kinda done with random battles right now and I think y'all have said it's even worse about those.

Squire

Banned
I was going for a game that was super hyped up, but ended up getting a lot of negative press in the end after the hype died down. First games that sprang to mind were Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2. At least with Naughty Dog's hype, it usually justified after the game is finally released (even though I'm not a fan of Uncharted 3 and don't think it really deserved all the glowing reviews/GOTYs it got).

I see. There's every AAA game though. There's a praise period and then a backlash period two weeks later where suddenly the game is awful and everyone who says so has a Ph. D in criticism.

It was pretty good!

I think I made a mistake taking people advice on what Personas to use. The suggested Personas made the game really, really easy and the fights became boring, which is a problem when 95% of the game is combat. When I eventually play the SQQ I'll try to do it without any help. It was my first real experience with the talking to demons stuff and that was okay I guess? I never felt like I had a great grasp on what responses would lead to the desired result. Also the game never made it clear why sometimes negotiations didn't work. For example I'd get to the spell card stage with Elly(who's a few levels higher than the demon) but it would still say I was too weak. So I guess the average level of your party had sway over whether you get the card or not. Game never explained that though.

Presentation and stuff....pretty standard I guess? It's an old game so I'm not going to be too harsh. The portraits were pretty ugly though, did they redo them at all? I did LOVE the style the cutscenes were in. It's a shame most of them were under a minute long. Music was all great, hats off to Meguro.

Story was almost non-existent. There's more story in the P4 intro than the entirety of this game :p. What was there was cool though, I started off thinking Nanjo was lame but he underwent some cool story stuff and turned out pretty good. Also did his epilogue imply that he became
homeless???? Like, I don't know how you're gonna become the #1 Man In Japan sleeping on trains trying to be the modern Buddha
. Mark was awesome, dude kept out real constantly.
I really like that he went to NY to become a drug addict artist
. Maki was
obviously the focal point of the story from early on and man did she love shitting out alternate versions of herself. Girl needs to be a little less self-obsessed, just sayin'
. MC is a REAL silent protagonist. Makoto and Yu are bastions of personality in comparison. Best for last though, Elly. Thought her obsession with the occult was super cool. She would get so stoked over the weirdest shit. And the game implies
that the MC becomes Maki's boyfriend later on but fuck that shit, my silent protag is all about Elly. Cool how at the end you just take off with both of them though, leaving Mark and Nanjo in the dust

Definitely think it's worth it for 3/4 fans to play this. It was cool seeing the beginning of the franchise and what concepts they carried over to the later games. I feel a little more appreciative for just how much content is in the newer games too. I definitely prefer the Persona games having a much stronger emphasis on the story.

#artdrop

Gonna wait a bit until I start P2IS. Kinda done with random battles right now and I think y'all have said it's even worse about those.

A shame that P2IS and EP are more unwieldy these days because I think P2IS and P2EP has the best story of the entire series.

Nanjo is not going to be a hobo uwotm8

also your art dump isnt showing up

Acid08

Banned
A shame that P2IS and EP are more unwieldy these days because I think P2IS and P2EP has the best story of the entire series.

Nanjo is not going to be a hobo uwotm8

also your art dump isnt showing up
Really? It's showing up for me.

And dude they say in his epilogue
that he's sleeping on trains after finding out how real people live
. Sounds pretty homeless to me, mate.

Musolf815

I don't know where I got this idea originally, but I just couldn't stop thinking about it...
Ne8IU8a.png

And it continues to escalate from there.

Yu dresses rather plain for a golfer, but considering what he normally wears, this is par for the course!
Haha, get it? Par for the course. ...

Next up is regrettably Yosuke.

I'd play it. The first game I played and loved was Golf for Gameboy.

So who watches Space Dandy?

LOVE Space Dandy. I don't think it's had a bad episode yet.

Gazoinks

The promised art dump! Awesome! I plan on going back to P1P once I finish P4G, which should be soonish.

Also, I just started up VLR and I can't unhear the Persona voices in most of the cast. Yes yes whatever you say, Rise, Chie, and Akihiko.

Acid08

Banned
tumblr_inline_n0ebsiUDLP1qhaskl.png

Glad you enjoyed P1 man, I guess this makes you "one of us" now, huh?

Woo! Part of the exclusive P1 club ;D

I'm pretty excited to play 2. I have pretty high hopes for the story from how much it's loved here. Is it more akin to 3/4 in amount of story scenes?

EDIT: Woah, it looks like we had the exact same thought huh!

I love how...

Mitsuru's and Fukka are embarrassed about their ridiculous clothes their wearing.

Chie is annoyed

Kanji being Kanji

Akihiko is pumped up

Aigis and Labrys are happy

And Theo, well I don't know what expression he would have under that mask.

Gazoinks

Woo! Part of the exclusive P1 club ;D

I'm pretty excited to play 2. I have pretty high hopes for the story from how much it's loved here. Is it more akin to 3/4 in amount of story scenes?

Yeah, it's definitely much more story focused. It also has an insane amount of optional dialog. Your party members' dialog changes after every major story beat in almost every location in the city.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah, it's definitely much more story focused. It also has an insane amount of optional dialog. Your party members' dialog changes after every major story beat in almost every location in the city.

Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear! Hopefully the gameplay isn't tooooo painful.

Gazoinks

Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear! Hopefully the gameplay isn't tooooo painful.

It's not that bad. I got really sick of it, but that's because I played EP right after IS, which I definitely don't recommend if you find the combat tedious. Give it a bit of time so you don't get fatigued.

Rhapsody

Banned
All that P1 art makes me want to play it again and complete it for reals this time.

The salt I had from getting the bad/premature ending is pretty much gone now, so I'll replay it.

Banzai

P3P: jotun of grief...how? Got him kinda low with ice break-> mind charge-> bufudyne but then he spammed mind charged megidolaons...

Jintor

Just wrapped case 1 of dangan ronpa.

mah head asplode. Can't wait to see what this game has in store for me, though i don't know if my heart can take it

Dantis

I'll probably like it, but not as much as DKC.

That soundtrack. Gonna be so sad if Nintendo don't release it.

>goty discussions in february

This is pretty much the point. That's how much I liked Donkey Kong. It's that good.

I don't know where I got this idea originally, but I just couldn't stop thinking about it...
Ne8IU8a.png

And it continues to escalate from there.

Yu dresses rather plain for a golfer, but considering what he normally wears, this is par for the course!
Haha, get it? Par for the course. ...

Next up is regrettably Yosuke.

LOL.

Amazing!

Just wrapped case 1 of dangan ronpa.

mah head asplode. Can't wait to see what this game has in store for me, though i don't know if my heart can take it

Is it as good as you expected?

Jintor

You can't really tell from one case. So far it fits pretty squarely as to where I expected it to be, but the presentation is way slicker than i thought.

Dantis

Jintor

I buy story games under the assumption I'll want to replay them in about five years or so.

Some bits are kind of weird though... have to think about how I feel about the game after I play more.

Jintor

Well, I could say the same thing about books, but I still re-read them given enough time. Sometimes you just like to stick to what you know works, especially with games where you need to constantly relearn how to operate in new system environments.

Swedesu

So I finished the Danganronpa and the final stretch is soooo looong, but soooo good. The twist is fantastic and totally believable. Antagonist is probably one of my new favorites.

Overall, it's not as life changing as the Zero Escape series, but it's not far behind. And to be topical, yes so far DR is my goty.

Edit* Guess this should do it, sorry about that. Not that I really spoiled anything, but still I totally get the sentiment :)

Overall, it's not as life changing as the Zero Escape series, but it's not far behind. And to be topical, yes so far DR is my goty.
Well, I love both but I kinda preferred that DR was more "realistic" (kinda) than ZE.
But I love them both, can't wait for the sequels to come out.
Till we see more I'm way more excited for SDR2 than P5 to be honest.

MSMrRound

Please don't mention DanganRonpa spoilers in this thread.

Esp when there's already a Dangan spoiler thread in General...looking to pick this up tomorrow once I'm done with Bravely Default (currently in Chapter 8) and I'm always wary of being spoiled by a random post in PersonaGAF >.>

Dantis

Esp when there's already a Dangan spoiler thread in General...looking to pick this up tomorrow once I'm done with Bravely Default (currently in Chapter 8) and I'm always wary of being spoiled by a random post in PersonaGAF >.>

Yup. I've PM'd him asking to remove it, but I think he's gone. I'll ask Sackboy to edit the quote from his post too.

Dantis

Is it okay like this? I wouldn't say he spoiled anything though, that was mostly his opinions.

Yep, cheers!

I didn't click the black bar, so I wouldn't know what he actually posted, but there really shouldn't be anything that could be considered a spoiler in here. A lot of people are playing through it right now, and I haven't even started the game.

Top Bottom