• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

So PersonaGaf who's first persona awakening was da bomb Makoto's or Yu's, I personally say Makoto's cause of that psychotic look he had going on.

FluxWaveZ

So PersonaGaf who's first persona awakening was da bomb Makoto's or Yu's, I personally say Makoto's cause of that psychotic look he had going on.

From what I've seen, most agree that Makoto's was better than Yu's. The whole scene associated with Makoto's was masterfully done, while Yu's felt underwhelming in comparison.

Even (The Answer spoilers)
Aigis' awakening could be seen as better than Yu's.

Edit: A thread on Giant Bomb I made about it a while back, for some impressions. Poll results aren't there anymore, but P3 was massively in the lead.

CorvoSol

Maybe it's just that I've only seen Makoto's via P3P but Yu's kinda sorta blows his out of the water. I mean Makoto just sort of picks up Yukari's gun after she's spazzed out, blows his not brains out, and summons this crappy tuberculosis robot bard.

Yu's glasses get all shiny, he crushes a card with his hand, and summons this badass monster with a wicked knife sword.

Acid08

Banned
Maybe it's just that I've only seen Makoto's via P3P but Yu's kinda sorta blows his out of the water. I mean Makoto just sort of picks up Yukari's gun after she's spazzed out, blows his not brains out, and summons this crappy tuberculosis robot bard.

Yu's glasses get all shiny, he crushes a card with his hand, and summons this badass monster with a wicked knife sword.
You're seriously fucking up right now. P3P is destroying you.

PK Gaming

Gotta go with Yu

I am thou...Thou art I...The time has come...Open thy eyes...And call forth what is within!

persona_4_souji_persona_awaken_by_meanlink-d33iuuf.gif

They're both pretty great, but you really get this sense of "awakened power" with Yu's. Makoto ends up losing control and Thanatos goes nuts (which is badass in itself) but not what I was looking for in an "awakening" scene. IMO, awakening scenes should be about awakening to your Persona, taking control of your own destiny and kicking ass.

The music is freaking awesome

Acid08

Banned
It's the only means I have of playing P3. It's not my fault Makoto isn't even the best protagonist of his own game.
Not even talking protags, just saying that literally everything that has to do with the story of that game is far worse in P3P. The awakening being one of the key offenders.

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, gonna go with Yu's awakening. Everything about it is just super-well done. He looks down, suddenly has a tarot in his hand, turns it over... and slowly smiles as he realizes what he's supposed to do. And then the card incinerates into a ball of flame and turns into Izanagi. Awesome as fuck.

arue

You're seriously fucking up right now. P3P is destroying you.

This. Going back to P3P again after finishing FES, I almost cringe at the awakening presentation. It was...not good at all. I wish they could have at least keep the animated cutscenes in P3P.

Edit: P3MC's awakening is the best because he got that crazy look on his face.

Caladrius

I can't bring myself to care for one over the other.

Not even talking protags, just saying that literally everything that has to do with the story of that game is far worse in P3P. The awakening being one of the key offenders.

I don't even remember how many animated cutscenes they actually kept.

FluxWaveZ

This. Going back to P3P again after finishing FES, I almost cringe at the awakening presentation. It was...not good at all. I wish they could have at least keep the animated cutscenes in P3P.

Heh, my words a year ago were: "Playing a bit of P3P recently, it broke my heart when the awakening scene, one of the most memorable scenes in the game, was extremely dull compared to the anime scene in FES."

Narukami has the better music and the better animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVYLa9J02xg

Huh, I thought Persona 3's had the better music.

I'm surprised that most votes here are for P4. It's been mostly for P3 everywhere else I've seen, even by those who prefer P4 in general.

I thought they were both pretty silly and overdone, but I will give the edge to P3's just because I thought it was hilariously ridiculous. Like, what provokes a guy to pick up a gun and fire it into his head?

"Yeah, she had the right idea. I won't be taken prisoner."

*blam*

---

*wakes up in hospital with Yukari looking over him*

"...am I dead?"

Moonlight

Banned
They kept none of them.

As someone who's first exposure to P3 (and Persona in general) was through Portable, I can't exactly say that I felt like I was missing anything when I went back to watch them on YouTube, though.

Yeah, gonna go with Yu's awakening. Everything about it is just super-well done. He looks down, suddenly has a tarot in his hand, turns it over... and slowly smiles as he realizes what he's supposed to do. And then the card incinerates into a ball of flame and turns into Izanagi. Awesome as fuck.

Not to mention the baller as fuck music playing.

Sophia

Huh, I thought Persona 3's had the better music.

I'm surprised that most votes here are for P4. It's been mostly for P3 everywhere else I've seen, even by those who prefer P4 in general.

I can't stand the awful animation in Persona 3's cutscenes much anymore. Especially considering all of the cutscenes have forced windowboxing on the PS3.

That said, the awakening cutscene is still one of the better ones in P3, but I more fondly remember Persona 4's thanks to the music essentially is a remix of Awakening Legend.

Gazoinks

They kept none of them.

As someone who's first exposure to P3 (and Persona in general) was through Portable, I can't exactly say that I felt like I was missing anything when I went back to watch them on YouTube, though.

The animation is... pretty terrible. I'd say the bigger loss in P3P is the models during story events and stuff.

Yeah. Something along the lines of SMT IF's cover would be awesome.

53242-Shin_Megami_Tensei_-_if..._(J)-1.jpg

Demon God Emperor as a persona FTW

Why has Kaneko forsaken us. ;_;

Sophia

The animation is... pretty terrible. I'd say the bigger loss in P3P is the models during story events and stuff.

The only time I really felt like they lost something with the animation cutscenes in Portable was the series of cutscenes (link contains endgame spoilers for P3!!!) that play right after you beat the final boss. But this also has to due with the fact that there's a unique song for that animation that's missing in Persona 3 Portable too.

Dantis

Because it was so low budget, though, they stylised it a lot more, and I actually thought that made it a lot more interesting. The cutscenes felt really erratic and weird, with the heavy perspective and the quick jump cuts and whatnot.

I actually liked them a lot more than Persona 4's, which just looked like a generic and low quality anime.

Catherine's trump all though. High quality and interesting. Would love them to get Studio 4C back for P5.

CorvoSol

Well I dunno. How did you guys let Atlus make such a crummy demake of this game?

Sucks this was removed. A lot of the original music had a really cool atmosphere to them.

The original final boss theme matches how creepy and weird it looked perfectly, and it created an atmosphere of dread and despair. Unlike the generic new meguro style one. Not really bashing Meguro, he did a number of awesome tracks for this remake, but in this song in particular, he just sort of phoned it in. It fits form 2 though, I think Form 1 should have played the original creepy song and form 2 should play the new one.

pariah164

Gonna be the unpopular opinion here. Minato's Persona awakening in P3 is the favorite for me. The fear and trepidation as he picks up the gun the first time and places it to his head, the small smirk, the punctuated summoning line, the shattering glass sound... And then Orpheus appearing (
and immediately becoming Thanatos
)...

Maybe it's the nostalgia talking since it was my first Persona game, but dammit, I love it.

ramyeon

Am I the only one that vastly prefers the animated scenes in P3 to P4? They were so much more stylised and unique. I really love the whole aesthetic of that game.

TWILT

Banned

Yeah have to agree with this. The music is hype as hell too.

Top Bottom