• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

PK Gaming

Man that last page was amazing

I don't think I ever have to worry about finding good art; yosukeheadphones tumblr account is like fountain of infinite good Persona art.

♪

Acid08

Banned
zV8asWo.jpg

Well this is just the best. Makoto smiling is the best.

PK Gaming

So yosukeheadphones outlines most of the flaws found in Naoto's writing.

It's a damn good read, and I agree with virtually everything that she says.

TL;DR

The whole ‘they’d look down on me for being female’ has pretty much no follow-up and no consequences and it just comes off as a really weak excuse to justify why Naoto would completely change the way they act and present to other people, binding their chest (which is uncomfortable) and lowering their voice (which is unnatural and takes work to perfect) and have apparently been doing it for so long that dressing in anything feminine is incredibly awkward for them but they’re only fifteen how young were they when they started thinking ‘they’ll look down on me for ID’ing as female’ anyway

CorvoSol

tumblr_mmhpktTcIe1spdy36o1_500.gif

It barely touches upon any of her issues till the very end, but its just good fun

It's basically Naoto and Holmes-kun solve mysteries and shit

Well, being the weakest character in a team of stellar characters is hardly a crime, I think. I mean, in some games being the weakest character in the game means your name is Snow Villiers, so yeah, Naoto's doin' fine by comparison.

Levito

Banned
It took me nearly 7 hours to edit this beast but....

(Click image for download link)

Title card of course done by TrueSelf

This week on S.Link FM, we finally earn that name. As promised, Episode 24 is all about the music of Persona, SMT, and Shōji Meguro's composition. This episode is very unlike anything else we've done, and nostalgic is the only way I can accurately describe it. This is as close as you're going to get to a Persona radio station.

First Episode of season 2, and in my opinion the best Episode to date as well. Hope you all enjoy. Pretty proud of this one in general.

Doug was also a fantastic guest.

(There's a lot of music in this episode, so I didn't include your snippets yet Jintor. Soon though!)

Dereck

FES guy coming back

I dislike that I dislike Persona 3, please read this post.

It bothers me that I cannot just grind and level up, I have to spend money to get courage/charm, stuff like that. I know there are other ways to increase these attributes. What I am confused about is, how am I supposed to be able to fuse personas, and also know what people to hang out with to strengthen those personas? I fused like 6 personas in the beginning of the game, and screwed myself because I wasn't talking to anyone to strengthen those personas. I dislike this, help me. Everything about this game to me is brilliant besides the RPG part of it.

Also, people getting tired over and over is getting to me.

Squire

Banned

This week on S.Link FM, we finally earn that name. As promised, Episode 24 is all about the music of Persona, SMT, and Shōji Meguro's composition. This episode is very unlike anything else we've done, and nostalgic is the only way I can accurately describe it. This is as close as you're going to get to a Persona radio station.

First Episode of season 2, and in my opinion the best Episode to date as well. Hope you all enjoy. Pretty proud of this one in general.

(There's a lot of music in this episode, so I didn't include your snippets yet Jintor. Soon though!)

Yes. So excited to hear this. I'll tweet it out in the morning as it's so late.

Season 2, baby, yeah.

Moonlight

Banned
zV8asWo.jpg

Well this is just the best. Makoto smiling is the best.
This is pretty damn kick-ass.

Seems like I've found my company for tomorrow's bus trip.

Gazoinks

Gtu5k6n.png

Can't listen to all of it tonight, but looking forward to hearing it!

Wasn't Naoto's S. link just like
9 ranks of mystery solving and then rank 10 was "am-am I feminine enough for you s-senpai?"
or something like that. I wasn't a fan of any of the romance S. links in P4.

Daimaou

TL;DR

(P4 spoilers for Naoto and Teddie, I guess? Tagging to be safe.)
A lot of this probably comes from the fact that Teddie was originally going to be female and Naoto was male, so the sexism angle probably got thrown in as an afterthought. This would explain why her S Link focuses mostly on the random toy gadgets she made as a child, it was what was originally planned and they decided to roll with it without making more alterations.

Admittedly this is conjecture on my part as we don't know when exactly that switch was made, or what all was set in stone at that point.

FES guy coming back

It bothers me that I cannot just grind and level up, I have to spend money to get courage/charm, stuff like that. I know there are other ways to increase these attributes. What I am confused about is, how am I supposed to be able to fuse personas, and also know what people to hang out with to strengthen those personas? I fused like 6 personas in the beginning of the game, and screwed myself because I wasn't talking to anyone to strengthen those personas. I dislike this, help me. Everything about this game to me is brilliant besides the RPG part of it.

Did you play Persona 4 first? My bro could never go back to P3:FES since his first Persona was P4. Mine was P3, playing P4 was amazing after putting up with some of the things in P3. That said, I like those mechanics in a strange way. Still my personal fav.

ramyeon

FES guy coming back

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking but is this your first Persona game? Cause it seems like you're not really clear on how S.Linking and Fusion work or benefit one another.

The S.Links don't make the Persona you have already fused get stronger. Essentially they add bonus experience to Personas of that Arcana when you fuse them depending on what level the social link is at, 10 being the Max. If you carry a Persona of the same Arcana for the S.Link you're talking to it will increase the amount of points you get for hanging out with them and for dialogue choices too, making it easier to level up S.Links and meaning you waste fewer days just hanging out with them with no rank up.

You can fuse almost any Persona you want whenever as long as you have the Personas needed to fuse it and the level as well. Only certain Persona are locked, those being the ultimate Persona for each Arcana gained by maxing the S.Link for that Arcana and some others are locked behind Elizabeth Requests.

If you want to check what Arcana the S.Links and Persona are you can do so from the menu.

And you haven't screwed yourself, don't worry :p

Dantis

TL;DR

I disagree with alllll of this.

First off, no follow up or consequence. Two points to make:

One - Nobody's arc has follow up or consequence, because it's outside of the scope of the story and its themes. This is a videogame, and is limited in what it can show, particularly when that is split between eight different main character arcs. Nobody mentions Kanji being a softy and/or bisexual (Depending on your interpretation!) either.

Two - It would have been a major downer if she'd accepted herself as a lady and then her life had become a downward spiral because of that "I'm not allowed to work with the police any more because I'm a woman :(". Not to mention the shit storm for implying that sexism exists in the world and then portraying it in a videogame. Patricia Hernandez would have been writing garbage sensationalist articles for days!

And then, changing the way she looks and acts. More disagreements!

One - Binding her chest. Where did this idea come from? Is it ever actually said in the game or is it a weird fan created fantasy? Because it does seem stupid, uncomfortable and fetishistic. Real women can hide their chests by dressing selectively, which is what I had always assumed Naoto does, not by wrapping herself up like an Egyptian mummy.

Two - Uncomfortable dressing in anything feminine. Again, seems like a fan created fantasy. The one time she dresses like a girl is on Christmas Eve, but considering all the girls spend pretty much that entire scene blushing, I don't think that's indicative of anything. As an aside, the blushing in those scenes is kind of a smart way of portraying what they're feeling, actually.

She dresses as a girl in one of the drama CDs (Which is presumably canonical), and is completely normal about it. This idea that she's really shy is just a creepy fan interpretation. She's shown to be confident and pragmatic in like every scene in the game.

Three - I had assumed she'd been identifying as a boy since her parents died, but I don't think it really matters. The game never tells you outright, so I guess you just assign what makes sense? Maybe she started doing it when she hit her teens, or maybe she started it just before entering Inaba. That doesn't really mean anything. She's actually sixteen for pretty much the entire game, so there's at least a few years wherein you could assume it began, were you so inclined.

ramyeon

I disagree with alllll of this.

First off, no follow up or consequence. Two points to make:

One - Nobody's arc has follow up or consequence, because it's outside of the scope of the story and its themes. This is a videogame, and is limited in what it can show, particularly when that is split between eight different main character arcs. Nobody mentions Kanji being a softy and/or bisexual (Depending on your interpretation!) either.

Two - It would have been a major downer if she'd accepted herself as a lady and then her life had become a downward spiral because of that "I'm not allowed to work with the police any more because I'm a woman :(". Not to mention the shit storm for implying that sexism exists in the world and then portraying it in a videogame. Patricia Hernandez would have been writing garbage sensationalist articles for days!

And then, changing the way she looks and acts. More disagreements!

One - Binding her chest. Where did this idea come from? Is it ever actually said in the game or is it a weird fan created fantasy? Because it does seem stupid, uncomfortable and fetishistic. Real women can hide their chests by dressing selectively, which is what I had always assumed Naoto does, not by wrapping herself up like an Egyptian mummy.

Two - Uncomfortable dressing in anything feminine. Again, seems like a fan created fantasy. The one time she dresses like a girl is on Christmas Eve, but considering all the girls spend pretty much that entire scene blushing, I don't think that's indicative of anything. As an aside, the blushing in those scenes is kind of a smart way of portraying what they're feeling, actually.

She dresses as a girl in one of the drama CDs (Which is presumably canonical), and is completely normal about it. This idea that she's really shy is just a creepy fan interpretation. She's shown to be confident and pragmatic in like every scene in the game.

Three - I had assumed she'd been identifying as a boy since her parents died, but I don't think it really matters. The game never tells you outright, so I guess you just assign what makes sense? Maybe she started doing it when she hit her teens, or maybe she started it just before entering Inaba. That doesn't really mean anything. She's actually sixteen for pretty much the entire game, so there's at least a few years wherein you could assume it began, were you so inclined.
Well put. I disagree with pretty much all of the stuff on that Tumblr too, and I also disagree that Naoto is the weakest of the cast. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the cast of P4 is pretty much all on equal footing so far as character development go. All of the have a fair bit but not a whole lot, and since all the S.Link stuff seems to take place in a vacuum outside of the main game, none of it has any consequences or gets brought up at any point outside of those scenes. It's something I'd like to see changed for P5 but it's not something you can fault Naoto's character for nor the writing for her character specifically since it's an issue with the entire cast.

Sophia

I wake up to see this thread has gone fanart crazy. Fantastic. Except for those cross-dressing gifs. wtf.

And I see the latest episode of the podcast is out. :D

Sophia

Ikutsuki stop making puns, gosh.

Also I really don't like that fan-made Dancing All Night image. Something about it is... off.

Meia

Ikutsuki stop making puns, gosh.

Also I really don't like that fan-made Dancing All Night image. Something about it is... off.

I kind of loathe it as well. Naoto and Kanji are kind of hideous in it, plus it's a different artstyle that I don't think adapts well to the characters...

Dantis

Hmm.

The guys look fine, but the girls look too manly, in my opinion.

It's always interesting to see them in more obviously Western styles though.

Marche90

The title card is hypnotic. I could watch all day without getting tired of it!.

Top Bottom