• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

tumblr_l5qmqbGamd1qceo52

pagan rituals and demons are so fascinating and fantastic!

PK Gaming

Dantis said:

I can understand where you're coming from, but I completely disagree with your rebuttal.

One - Binding her chest. Where did this idea come from? Is it ever actually said in the game or is it a weird fan created fantasy? Because it does seem stupid, uncomfortable and fetishistic. Real women can hide their chests by dressing selectively, which is what I had always assumed Naoto does, not by wrapping herself up like an Egyptian mummy.

The game doesn't need to explicitly state this because it's a foregone conclusion. You can't completely mask boobs by dressing them in a certain way. You can obscure them, sure, but only to a certain extent. Furthermore, Naoto has big boobs, so she doesn't even have the luxury to do that! :/

Two - Uncomfortable dressing in anything feminine. Again, seems like a fan created fantasy. The one time she dresses like a girl is on Christmas Eve, but considering all the girls spend pretty much that entire scene blushing, I don't think that's indicative of anything. As an aside, the blushing in those scenes is kind of a smart way of portraying what they're feeling, actually.

I think you have a profound misunderstanding of how the scene went down. The game makes it very clear that Naoto is uncomfortable in the girl's uniform. She only dresses like a girl because when you tell her that your prefer it she speaks like a girl. As luck would have it, I have the evidence to refute your claims.
5 (In response to calling her "cute")
6 (Incontroveritble proof that she's uncomfortable)

For crying out loud, she even says "I don't feel comfortable" or something to that effect when you talk to her in a dungeon! And her special win animation really speaks for itself.

Two - It would have been a major downer if she'd accepted herself as a lady and then her life had become a downward spiral because of that "I'm not allowed to work with the police any more because I'm a woman :(". Not to mention the shit storm for implying that sexism exists in the world and then portraying it in a videogame. Patricia Hernandez would have been writing garbage sensationalist articles for days!
Naoto's character would have been more compelling if we saw examples of sexism being made against her. Her entire character is predicated on pretending to be a man because her profession is sexist, but we don't see any of the supposed sexism. It would have made her arc a bit better if we could see some of it with her interactions with the police, but we see none of it. All we get is hearsay (and it's somewhat contradicted with the existence of her mother, who was an ace detective).

Also, there's nothing with portraying the existence of sexism in a video game if it's handled properly (see Ai's social link). Frankly, whether this hypothetical change would incur sensationalist garbage is irrelevant. If it makes her character arc more palatable, i'm all for it.

Three - I had assumed she'd been identifying as a boy since her parents died, but I don't think it really matters. The game never tells you outright, so I guess you just assign what makes sense? Maybe she started doing it when she hit her teens, or maybe she started it just before entering Inaba. That doesn't really mean anything. She's actually sixteen for pretty much the entire game, so there's at least a few years wherein you could assume it began, were you so inclined.

Sure

She dresses as a girl in one of the drama CDs (Which is presumably canonical), and is completely normal about it. This idea that she's really shy is just a creepy fan interpretation. She's shown to be confident and pragmatic in like every scene in the game.

Summary link to the supposed drama CD...? I doubt the main writers had a hand in writing them. If it goes out of its way to contradict the game, then it's irrelevant. (Drama CDs are pretty silly anyway)

I dig your passion for Naoto, but I don't think i'll ever agree with your assessment of her character.

The link doesn't seem to work for me, but is the essay that pretty much contrives a whole lot to make a very specific point? If it is, it's interesting, but I didn't find much of it substantive.
My mistake. It's fixed now.

CorvoSol

The game doesn't need to explicitly state this because it's a foregone conclusion. You can't completely mask boobs by dressing them in a certain way. You can obscure them, sure, but only to a certain extent. Furthermore, Naoto has big boobs, so she doesn't even have the luxury to do that! :/

Yeah, I was gonna say, the game pretty heavily implies she has to do something to conceal them, since the characters all react with surprise to her level of endowment. As to her being uncomfortable in her clothing, though, I'm not sure it remains that way
given in Golden's ending her shirt does not conceal them at all.

So it's almost noon here. Where my Persona sale at?

RaikuHebi

Banned
So I started up P3P (never finished it back in the day). Really wasn't feeling it after finishing Persona 4. I don't know if I just loved P4 that much or if I'm burnt out on SMT/Persona and just need to give it more time till I return.

It just seems much more bland than I remember it. Perhaps it is related to the fact the characters aren't on screen. Perhaps I should try FES instead.

PK Gaming

Yeah, I was gonna say, the game pretty heavily implies she has to do something to conceal them, since the characters all react with surprise to her level of endowment. As to her being uncomfortable in her clothing, though, I'm not sure it remains that way
given in Golden's ending her shirt does not conceal them at all.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the Golden epilogue
clearly shows us that she's now comfortable in that kind of attire.

She's definitely not comfortable with feminine clothing during the main bulk of the game though.

Caladrius

So I started up P3P (never finished it back in the day). Really wasn't feeling it after finishing Persona 4. I don't know if I just loved P4 that much or if I'm burnt out on SMT/Persona and just need to give it more time till I return.

It just seems much more bland than I remember it. Perhaps it is related to the fact the characters aren't on screen. Perhaps I should try FES instead.

I'd give P3 a break for a week or two or after you finish a different game. I find that I get burnt out playing long RPGs in succession.

I made avatars for all eight shadow characters, but I'm only going to link to the gallery since there's a [P4 SPOILER] one included.

Here you go!

Ah, lovely. I'll probably use one sometime next week. (I want to let this one run its course for now.)

I will agree that not enough was done surrounding Naoto's gender issues, felt like it was kind of thrown in there for the sake of it. Her problems with being treated as a child seemed more central to her character. I think I felt similarly to Kanji's sexuality--his shadow places huge importance over it but it's mostly ignored in the rest of the game and his real issue was with his problem with personal acceptance.

They were still probably my two favorite characters though, felt bad for them that their issues were more society's issues than their own.

EDIT: I just realized Naoto wears platform shoes.

Sophia

She's definitely not comfortable with feminine clothing during the main bulk of the game though.

I can actually understand the logic behind not being comfortable with it. Some of my female friends have expressed similar sentiments. They usually wear androgynous clothing, and feel embarrassed when they have to get prettied up. Even if everyone is complimenting them.

Two more hours, most likely. I'm waiting for the sale myself.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'd give P3 a break for a week or two or after you finish a different game. I find that I get burnt out playing long RPGs in succession.

Good point. Plus for me it's 2 in succession. First FFX HD and then the 2nd half of P4G (I'd already done 30 hours before FFX came along).

Man the days after finishing it makes me realise how much I liked these characters and setting. I didn't give much thought to the spin-offs but they will be a nice way to get that feeling back :). Going back and listening to the music gives a nostalgic feeling already.

CorvoSol

I'm doing both, I think, haha. Gonna play P3P and buy FES, but since I rarely have access to my PS3 I'll probably just play both storylines in P3P and then FES when I have the chance to experience the extra content that got cut for P3P.

Speaking of some of the stuff in P3P's FeMC line is pretty sloppily done. Specifically at one point Yukari's all "I have been keeping so much a secret from her." except that it still uses the MaMC clip so she's still saying "him".

I kinda don't feel like Naoto's gender identity was her issue, though. I sorta think she's meant to parallel Kanji, where her issues are just the outer layer and underneath that its much more her problem with her age. Because while the game rarely ever addressed her difficulty with being a girl after it was revealed, it frequently showed how she struggled with being too grown up around kids her age and too childish in the eyes of adults.

I kind of feel that there's a lot of faking out like that in the game, though. Like with Yukiko, for instance.
She's supposedly feeling ensnared by her inheritance, but as her SLink goes along it becomes much clearer that there's more to it than that.

How can a week long sale start on Wednesday?

PK Gaming

I'm doing both, I think, haha. Gonna play P3P and buy FES, but since I rarely have access to my PS3 I'll probably just play both storylines in P3P and then FES when I have the chance to experience the extra content that got cut for P3P.

Speaking of some of the stuff in P3P's FeMC line is pretty sloppily done. Specifically at one point Yukari's all "I have been keeping so much a secret from her." except that it still uses the MaMC clip so she's still saying "him".
Hahaha, there are a couple of mistakes littered throughout the game. They're pretty minor though.

I'm interested in to see what you think of the FeMC route as a whole.
I kinda don't feel like Naoto's gender identity was her issue, though. I sorta think she's meant to parallel Kanji, where her issues are just the outer layer and underneath that its much more her problem with her age. Because while the game rarely ever addressed her difficulty with being a girl after it was revealed, it frequently showed how she struggled with being too grown up around kids her age and too childish in the eyes of adults.
I don't disagree with any of this, though I think her gender identity issue could have been handled better. Her shadow feels like an afterthought.

Sophia

P3P's localization has some rather... sloppy bugs. There's a few points where him/her is screwed up (Junpei's victory quote, fighting the optional boss), and a few misnamed abilities. Also at one point in the Velvet Room the text is completely untranslated.

CorvoSol

It's still Tuesday in the US, and the sale ends a week from the day it starts, due to how the store updates.

Yeah "Wednesday" was just me joking about "how late on Tuesday".

Hahaha, there are a couple of mistakes littered throughout the game. They're pretty minor though.

I'm interested in to see what you think of the FeMC route as a whole.

I don't disagree with any of this, though I think her gender identity issue could have been handled better. Her shadow feels like an afterthought.

I'm gonna do a Simulplay of P3, I think. Play through as both Male and Female at the same time so I can see the differences. Since my Male save is on Easy it won't be much of a bother. Male still has the American name slapped on him because that's just what I did, but I'm gonna pretend he's Japanese through and through.

Female I went with "Clara Tokiwa" and am going for "daughter of a Brazilian immigrant to Japan." since there are a fair number of those, I'm told. Male I'll just call "Makoto". Makoto I think I'll aim to play him like an anime protagonist from the 90s, while Clara I'm not sure yet.

In my head it'll all be taking place at the same time, so Makoto and Clara will live in the same building and go on the same adventures but never interact with each other, even though they have the same friends.

I'm gonna do a Simulplay of P3, I think. Play through as both Male and Female at the same time so I can see the differences. Since my Male save is on Easy it won't be much of a bother. Male still has the American name slapped on him because that's just what I did, but I'm gonna pretend he's Japanese through and through.

Female I went with "Clara Tokiwa" and am going for "daughter of a Brazilian immigrant to Japan." since there are a fair number of those, I'm told. Male I'll just call "Makoto". Makoto I think I'll aim to play him like an anime protagonist from the 90s, while Clara I'm not sure yet.

In my head it'll all be taking place at the same time, so Makoto and Clara will live in the same building and go on the same adventures but never interact with each other, even though they have the same friends.

I always enjoy your imaginative treatment of video games, like your FFIV fanfic. In my mind. Both MC and FeMC happened at the same time, just in parallel universes. Two completely different people tasked with the same job, but you would need Elizabeth from Bioshock Infintite to open a tear to bridge those two universes.

esoterika

Neo Member
It took me nearly 7 hours to edit this beast but....

(Click image for download link)

Title card of course done by TrueSelf

This week on S.Link FM, we finally earn that name. As promised, Episode 24 is all about the music of Persona, SMT, and Shōji Meguro's composition. This episode is very unlike anything else we've done, and nostalgic is the only way I can accurately describe it. This is as close as you're going to get to a Persona radio station.

First Episode of season 2, and in my opinion the best Episode to date as well. Hope you all enjoy. Pretty proud of this one in general.

Doug was also a fantastic guest.

(There's a lot of music in this episode, so I didn't include your snippets yet Jintor. Soon though!)

Woot! This was fun, thanks again so much for having me.

Acid08

Banned
I hate when people assign the phrase "gender identity issues" to Naoto. She doesn't have any literal gender identity issues, she doesn't identify as a man in any way other than her outward appearance. She has issues with the way her gender is treated, not confusion with what gender she is.

Lunar15

I hate when people assign the phrase "gender identity issues" to Naoto. She doesn't have any literal gender identity issues, she doesn't identify as a man in any way other than her outward appearance. She has issues with the way her gender is treated, not confusion with what gender she is.

Well, her shadow (which is always an extreme, not the true self) expresses a desire to become a man. But I understand what you're saying. I'll echo Corvo and say that in general, each character's arc is less about the overt themes presented by their shadows, and more about the subtle themes masked by them. The shadow is the primal fear, warped by external pressures and stereotypes. The arc after the shadow is accepted is about coming to terms with the new path they've chosen, not about resolving one's external issues. It's not about whether naoto was able to fit in with cops afterwards, it's about whether she was able to feel comfortable without trying to be something she was not.

Someone said that we should have seen actual acts of Naoto being disrespected as a woman, but that's actually beside the point of her arc. The shadow is created by the self, it's one's own perception of their own fears, warped by societal norms. It's not so much that Naoto had been discriminated against, it's more that she feared she would due to the fact that none of her childhood heroes were women. She was trying to fit into a role that society created, but that she accepted. It's the same with Kanji. He realized that he wasn't fitting into society's definition of a "man." Men with feminine tastes are often labeled gay. For him, his shadow was an insanely effeminate man: not his true self but the societal stereotype he began to think was his true self. That's why shadows are so over the top. When they're defeated they reveal what the true fear is, and that's when the road to acceptance begins.

EMT0

Banned

Pretty much. I don't really think Persona 4 has gender identity problems at the forefront. Maybe undertones, but that's really about it. Kanji's issues are more to do with general identity as a man in the day to day, not a man sexually. Naoto's issues are more to do with societal bias and how she's reacted to it.

CorvoSol

I always enjoy your imaginative treatment of video games, like your FFIV fanfic. In my mind. Both MC and FeMC happened at the same time, just in parallel universes. Two completely different people tasked with the same job, but you would need Elizabeth from Bioshock Infintite to open a tear to bridge those two universes.

I'm just saying that if a video game is going to give me a more or less blank state protagonist, it must mean the developers wanted me to make stuff up, and that's what I'm gonna do.

PK Gaming

Yeah "Wednesday" was just me joking about "how late on Tuesday".

Female I went with "Clara Tokiwa" and am going for "daughter of a Brazilian immigrant to Japan." since there are a fair number of those, I'm told. Male I'll just call "Makoto". Makoto I think I'll aimI'll to play him like an anime protagonist from the 90s, whole new re every Clara I'm not sure yet.

In my head it'll all be taking place at the same time, so Makoto and Clara will live in there same building and go on the same adventures but never interact with each other, even though they have the same friends.

I was planning on doing a double playthrough myself. Are you can handle it? P3 is a loooong game.

@Acid: It was a poor choice of words on my part.

Dantis

I can't remember. What was next in the PersonaGAF cycle? Yosuke debates or more fanart?

Give me a few hours, and I'll draw fanart of Yosuke debating homophobia with Naoto dressed as a man.

It will be the core of PersonaGAF is one image.

Dantis

I do not approve of this. Just draw more Naoto. You're good at that anyhow.

Oh yeeeeah! Dantis watch Fullmetal Alchemist.

I was actually joking.

That would make for a really dumb picture. And not dumb like some of my pictures are dumb.

Just, literally dumb.

CorvoSol

I was planning on doing a double playthrough myself. Are you can handle it? P3 is a loooong game.

@Acid: It was a poor choice of words on my part.

I couldn't say, haha. I have other RPGs that will be along to distract me as well, so if I get burned for a bit on P3 I'll just sort of load up another game. I'm kind of actually looking forward to playing a bunch of different RPGs all at once in the near future, since Bravely Default is coming out and Type-0's patch is nearing completion.

Top Bottom