• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Caladrius

I couldn't say, haha. I have other RPGs that will be along to distract me as well, so if I get burned for a bit on P3 I'll just sort of load up another game. I'm kind of actually looking forward to playing a bunch of different RPGs all at once in the near future, since Bravely Default is coming out and Type-0's patch is nearing completion.

I thought Type 0 was getting a Vita port. Or did I mishear?

I DO NOT APPROVE OF YOUR JOKING GOOD SIR.

DANTIS IS THE FUNNIEST MAN ON EARTH

TEE

HEE

HEE

esoterika

Neo Member
I realized I made a mistake in the podcast saying that Golden tracks were made by Ryota Koduka who did SMTIV, but I was actually thinking of Soul Hackers. I also said that Meguro didn't work on Golden, and he actually did. Sorry! I think I made this mistake a couple of times.

I'm just saying that if a video game is going to give me a more or less blank state protagonist, it must mean the developers wanted me to make stuff up, and that's what I'm gonna do.

My sentiments exactly, it's why I've always enjoyed the silent protagonist archetype in video games.

CorvoSol

I thought Type 0 was getting a Vita port. Or did I mishear?

As of now no port of Type-0 has been announced. You can play the PSP version in Japanese on your Vita, though. The translation patch is nearing completion, so I'm stoked.

My sentiments exactly, it's why I've always enjoyed the silent protagonist archetype in video games.

Well, sometimes a good leading character works splendidly. There are quite a few in Final Fantasy that I enjoy. But if we're gonna go the silent protag route, then might as well go full tilt.

It took me nearly 7 hours to edit this beast but....

(Click image for download link)
It's true that Reach Out to the Truth doesn't seem to get old. It's my go-to track in Arena's training mode. I like some of the other songs more but those can wear out on a constant loop.
zzz

Do robots dream of electric sheep?
Easily my favourite out of the fanart I've seen. Solid drawing with lovely style, lighting, texture and line weight to boot.

As of now no port of Type-0 has been announced. You can play the PSP version in Japanese on your Vita, though. The translation patch is nearing completion, so I'm stoked.

Well, sometimes a good leading character works splendidly. There are quite a few in Final Fantasy that I enjoy. But if we're gonna go the silent protag route, then might as well go full tilt.

The part in bold makes me sad. Gotta CFW my PSP for that translation soon, and get a copy of Type-0.

Most definitely, for the most part FF has always had great leading characters, in my opinion. I'm quite fond of P3/4's blank slate protagonist in particular. Some of the best examples of the "silent protagonist" archetype that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Edit: Also Chrono and Surge were pretty awesome silent protags.

PK Gaming

Well, her shadow (which is always an extreme, not the true self) expresses a desire to become a man. But I understand what you're saying. I'll echo Corvo and say that in general, each character's arc is less about the overt themes presented by their shadows, and more about the subtle themes masked by them. The shadow is the primal fear, warped by external pressures and stereotypes. The arc after the shadow is accepted is about coming to terms with the new path they've chosen, not about resolving one's external issues. It's not about whether naoto was able to fit in with cops afterwards, it's about whether she was able to feel comfortable without trying to be something she was not.

Someone said that we should have seen actual acts of Naoto being disrespected as a woman, but that's actually beside the point of her arc. The shadow is created by the self, it's one's own perception of their own fears, warped by societal norms. It's not so much that Naoto had been discriminated against, it's more that she feared she would due to the fact that none of her childhood heroes were women. She was trying to fit into a role that society created, but that she accepted. It's the same with Kanji. He realized that he wasn't fitting into society's definition of a "man." Men with feminine tastes are often labeled gay. For him, his shadow was an insanely effeminate man: not his true self but the societal stereotype he began to think was his true self. That's why shadows are so over the top. When they're defeated they reveal what the true fear is, and that's when the road to acceptance begins.
1-1apollo-documenta.gif

I haven't really thought of it that way. What you said in regards to shadows being warped truths really resonated with me (especially that last sentence). People are often to quick to accept shadows at face value (even i'm guilty of doing this).

Funny how one post can completely change how I feel about a character's arc.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
In regards to the previous page, just gotta say I can't wait for Persona Q. Hope we get it this year.

Only disappointing part is that it won't be canon.

CorvoSol

The part in bold makes me sad. Gotta CFW my PSP for that translation soon, and get a copy of Type-0.

Most definitely, for the most part FF has always had great leading characters, in my opinion. I'm quite fond of P3/4's blank slate protagonist in particular. Some of the best examples of the "silent protagonist" archetype that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Edit: Also Chrono and Surge were pretty awesome silent protags.

I bought two copies of Type-0. One for myself and one for my brother. I like it that much.

EDIT: It's almost 3 PM and still no Persona 3 sale. The hell, man.

I bought two copies of Type-0. One for myself and one for my brother. I like it that much.

EDIT: It's almost 3 PM and still no Persona 3 sale. The hell, man.

You are a good brother. The last thing I got for both of my brothers was The World Ends With You, one for each. We have like 4 copies in the family now, even though we are only 3 brothers, we liked it that much. I think the 4th copy was gonna be a gift.

Ahh the anticipation for Persona on sale, delicious.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Persona 5's story better be at least 100 hours! I want to get lost in the new setting, characters and story. It's going from PS2 to PS3, it might as well get a gamelength to reflect the upgrade :D.

I've been meaning to ask PersonaGAF for a while now whether whether they actually believe the theories our beloved franchise is based off, Jungian psychology I mean, like the collective unconscious, and actual personas (not then monsters we use to kill other monsters) I can say I probably do, I see a lot of validity for it and it pretty similar to Rupert Sheldrake's theories so what about you guys.

Dantis

They are all just jealous of my awesome Mitsuru images.

DUDE. This is amazing.

Is it copied from a Kaneko picture for the basis of the face? It looks almost too close to his style to be entirely original.

tumblr_n04p5exTDV1si4qupo1_1280.png

You love her, you hate her, you love to hate her, and you hate to love her, it's Astupidjerk!
The one part of her outfit I don't like is her choker.

She also has a really terrible hairstyle.

Lunar15

1-1apollo-documenta.gif

I haven't really thought of it that way. What you said in regards to shadows being warped truths really resonated with me (especially that last sentence). People are often to quick to accept shadows at face value (even i'm guilty of doing this).

Funny how one post can completely change how I feel about a character's arc.

To be entirely fair, the writing in Persona is far from perfect. Most "shadow reveals" are really meant to be quick "surprise-gags" that contrast with their first television appearance. Yukiko's TV appearance is a quiet and reserved girl who appears prepared to take over for her mother in her absence. When her shadow is revealed, it's the complete opposite: Loud, obnoxious, and ready to find a guy to take her away from her situation.

Naoto's TV appearances are all about her being a mature, genius mastermind, an ace detective. But her Shadow's appearance is literally a cartoon character, a childish caricature of a "Mad Genius Villian" from a kid's TV show.

I think we go too deep with our analysis, and I'm no different. Really, Persona's major themes are "things are not as they seem on the surface", and everyone's arcs reflect this. But I wouldn't get wrapped up in thinking that the arcs resolve all of their conflicts. Really, their arcs just show them accepting their true fears and dismissing their perceived ones.

Levito

Banned
Only disappointing part is that it won't be canon.

Unless Chuck D. states otherwise, Persona Q is canon as fuck. To the point where it's tangible and you can fire it at enemy vessels in Ubisoft's newest entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Mmmmmmm... that's it, baby. Be part of the official timeline, work it gurl. Just like Arena hnnnnnngg

Actually, the Devil Summoner series is a movie in the Persona universe.

Localization change, along with Persona 2 being an mmo.

In the originals, it was a different detective not related to Devil Summoner and the mmo is Megami Tensei, not Persona 2.

ramyeon

In the originals, it was a different detective not related to Devil Summoner and the mmo is Megami Tensei, not Persona 2.
I've always been okay with localization changes in order to make the work more accessible to people but this is the one change that has always annoyed me about the localizations.

Devil Summoner definitely takes place in the same universe that breaks off from the main one with If... And there are recurring characters and references to back that up.

Lunar15

Never knew that. Huh.

So they really didn't give a crap about the previous persona games, did they?

ramyeon

Never knew that. Huh.

So they really didn't give a crap about the previous persona games, did they?
I don't think they realised that by making those references they were potentially damaging the timeline. They were just meant to be fun references to names that might be familiar to western players. The references in the original Japanese script more than likely would have gone right over most players' heads.

At the end of the day those sorts of easter egg references should only be treated as such, especially when there's so much evidence that points to the contrary in past games.

Caladrius

P5 had better have costumes in the initial release.

Travesty that P4 didn't, really.

I'm kind of skeptical that it will, considering the game's rather protracted development cycle.(And ATLUS would no doubt want an excuse to reuse their engine for cheap.)

Top Bottom